Godzilla-WB/Legendary production, on DVD/Blu-ray Sept. 16, 2014

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. Loved the film, but I agree with the criticisms.

Yep.

I remember thinking there wasn't enough Godzilla action after I saw it in theaters and I felt the exact same way after a couple of home viewings.

I won't touch the whole "human" character drama stuff, it's pretty par for the course with these type of big "disaster" flicks so I just look at it as a hazard of watching a natural disaster/alien invasion/apocalyptic event/large scale monster/etc. movie.

-b.

I liked the lack of Godzilla to a point. There is a pedigree in monster movies to not show the monster to the end... but Kaiju are a bit different in that they are somewhat heroic. They went way too far with it imo.

Especially after the 6 months of teasing.

I liked the lack of Godzilla to a point. There is a pedigree in monster movies to not show the monster to the end... but Kaiju are a bit different in that they are somewhat heroic. They went way too far with it imo.

Especially after the 6 months of teasing.

I tend to agree but, with how much they teased with the trailers, I wasn't expecting as many "teases" in the actual film. That being said, it didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying the movie.

The Mathew Broderick film is a guilty pleasure because it's sooo f*cking stupid but every scene with Jean Reno was ridiculous-candy.

Here's hoping for more Godzilla screen time in the second movie!

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/21/godzilla-2-big-change-for-the-sequel-2285402?lt_source=external,manual

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up on a Blind buy blu ray. Really enjoyed it. Yes needs more Gojira but a well crafted a beautifully shot film.

As much as I rail and complain about this movie I agree with your assessment of it. I've been watching it steadily since it's home release...

• 2 months later...

http://www.augustragone.blogspot.ca/2014/12/the-japanese-godzilla-will-rise-again.html

Toho Company Ltd. will be producing an all-new Godzilla film to be released in 2016. This will be the first “Domestic Godzilla” in 12 years since GODZILLA FINAL WARS (2004). In a press release issued today, Toho announced they’ve launched the “Godzilla Conference” as an organization to discuss and decide a wide range of strategies for promoting the Big G, including, but not limited to motion pictures. The group has also been officially nicknamed, “Godzi-con” (or “Gojikon” in Japanese parlance).

Thought about making a new thread but oh well..

soooooo after all of this and proving that we can have a passable and awesome Godzilla in CGI format after the failed 95 version.....Japan is probably gonna go back to the costume version I bet. Such a shame.

Must be due to the fact the current Hollywood one has all the weight in the neck and small head. :p

Oh good, Japan is making more Godzilla movies. Hopefully the film(s) will remind the elitists here how bad Japanese acting in their Godzilla films is compared to the ones made in the USA.

I thought I remembered liking the original Godzilla films when I was little, and that the CGI abomination in '95 sealed the deal that a decent Godzilla film couldn't be made outside of Japan...that is, until this film. So, me, thinking of myself as a Godzilla fan, went back and downloaded like 25 or so original Godzilla films, and though some of the earlier black and white ones were entertaining, that latest "Final Wars" was beyond unwatchable. I couldn't even get through the first 25 minutes. I skipped through to the fight scenes, and I can't believe something so crappy was made in 2004 for the big screen.

And I'm not the kind of guy who always trashes the old stuff and blindly follows the masses whenever there is something shiny and exploding (ie, that *ucking hack Michael Bay and his Transformers series). I love old stuff, but I have to agree with you that the acting in some, if not many of the Godzilla films were absolutely brutal and too $hitty to watch. Over 30 gigs of downloading, weeks to get it all done, an took less then 10 seconds to decide to delete the entire folder.

Edited by peter

• 2 months later...

I thought I remembered liking the original Godzilla films when I was little, and that the CGI abomination in '95 sealed the deal that a decent Godzilla film couldn't be made outside of Japan...that is, until this film. So, me, thinking of myself as a Godzilla fan, went back and downloaded like 25 or so original Godzilla films, and though some of the earlier black and white ones were entertaining, that latest "Final Wars" was beyond unwatchable. I couldn't even get through the first 25 minutes. I skipped through to the fight scenes, and I can't believe something so crappy was made in 2004 for the big screen.

And I'm not the kind of guy who always trashes the old stuff and blindly follows the masses whenever there is something shiny and exploding (ie, that *ucking hack Michael Bay and his Transformers series). I love old stuff, but I have to agree with you that the acting in some, if not many of the Godzilla films were absolutely brutal and too $hitty to watch. Over 30 gigs of downloading, weeks to get it all done, an took less then 10 seconds to decide to delete the entire folder.

Gotta agree with you on that one. Many of those earlier movies are well nigh unwatchable. But this new one just doesn't pack the punch that the '54 original does. One can certainly see how it would have a profound visual and cultural impact on its native audience. Lucky Dragon 5; the horrors of atomic warfare; the even greater and more widespread destruction of firebombing--these would have been powerful images being relived on screen, indeed. I still get a little misty-eyed sometimes by the time Gojira reaches this point in his rampage through Tokyo...

tumblr_n1zotu6RqK1rxam8fo5_500.gif

ed: I've watched the original with my 5 yr old son, as well as (parts of) the '14 movie. I must say, it nearly brought a tear to my eye when he told me "I like the old one better." All I could think was: there's hope for you yet, boy; you got taste! :p

Edited by reddsun1

I watched the atomic breath scene three times just for the feelz. :3

I remember getting all giddy in the theater the first time we see that blue glow start to rise on his back/tail. But on subsequent viewings, the feeling has changed to more of a "meh." Acutally, I kinda feel disappointed. Almost ripped off, even.

I mean, mebbe we should all be wondering: why the hell did he have to use it twice? In fact, mebbe we should all be giving Gareth Edwards et al a collective:

80057-eddie-murphy-fuck-you-gif-Imgu-bD0

I know, I know: "well, what exactly were you expecting?" I dunno, mebbe the same thing that'd happen to any living thing when it's hit with a giant godda*n flamethrower.

Edited by reddsun1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...