Animazement 2013

I find the whole process insulting and degrading honestly. I feel awkward waiting in line and it has to be a shitty experience for the artist. I rarely go for autographs, but that was what was being done. I get mortified that people would do it just to sell something on ebay.

This is why, for signing sessions in Japan, they don't normally allow people to have their own stuff signed and also, more importantly, insist that everyone provides their name for him to include with the signature. Not only does this add a personal touch, but it also kills and potential resell/ebay value that the autograph might have had.

Ah, I wasn't sure what it was from. Its a very nice little print. I like it a lot.

Yep, that makes two of us! Unfortunately he didnt do a talkshow or give any out here in Japan this year (so far) but I have a small collection from previous years that I'm very fond of.

I unfortunately felt that Mr. Mikimoto wasn't quite as engaged as he could have been. I certainly don't know his personality well enough to state that as truth, but he did state he didn't know what his second individual panel was really about (besides also being late to it).

I can only speak from my own experience here but having met Mikimoto 4 or 5 times, I've found that he usually does a short talk at most and then spends most of his time on Q&A. Good questions really draw him out and he can really get into things - talking enthusiastically for ages. Overall though, he is generally more quietly spoken, so his amount on engagement can depend on the audience.

What really shocked me in the above vid was how small the turnout seems to have been. I'm used to queuing up a couple of hours for the chance to meet the man, yet that panel room looks half empty. Just out of curiosity, how big was the panel room and approx. how many people turned up?

It wasn't very big. Keep in mind this is the South East United States. Most of the people in line for autographs were older guys, and the convention seems to cater to younger people (they have raves, and rock bands.)

I doubt most of the people who attended the convention had ever heard of him, as Macross was a little past their time, and of the people in the room most were probably Robotech fans, not really knowing much about Macross as a whole. A lot of people seemed to know what Gunbuster was, and their seemed to be a Gundam following as well.

The Panel I attended probably only had about 50-60 people tops, and would fit maybe twice that. It wasn't huge, but it wasn't tiny either.

The signing line was probably twice that, but it moved fairly quickly.

I actually just signed up for this forum when I was browsing the internet for anything on him from Animazement, since I had him sign some things for me at the con.

I had him sign my Gunbuster DVD box and the only version of DYRL we ever got in the states, Macross: Clash of the Bionoids on VHS. When he was signing my Gunbuster DVD, I was telling one of the ladies behind the desk (not sure if it was a translator or his wife) about the Clash of the Bionoids tape that I had, and asked if he had ever seen this before. He looked at it for about a minute and they were conversing back and forth, and the translator told me he never knew about the version we got like 25 years ago. What made it even better was he offered to sign it (which broke the ONE AUTOGRAPH PER PERSON RULE, TAKE THAT ANIMAZEMENT STAFF!!!!) and he, like he did during the line, threw his hand out for a handshake, which I gladly accepted from him.

Mikimoto is a bro, and he seems to know that people in America really like his work. There was also a guy in the line ahead of me who had a blue book box item that had a VF-1 inside of it, that for the past couple of years had numerous people sign it like Ichiro Itano who was at the con last year, Ishiguro who was at Otakon a couple of years back, and one or two more over the years. I don't see that guy parting with that anytime soon, neither will I on my items.

Mikimoto's stuff is in the second row:

csc_0484.jpg?w=949

I also do a podcast so my convention coverage will be coming out in a couple of weeks found here: www.aoypodcast.wordpress.com

I just wanted to share this with you guys, and hopefully you'll check out the podcast.

I got my Mac7 poster signed by him. when I unrolled it, he made a very audible "wow" when he saw it. Trust me, this isn't going anywhere.

I actually asked 2 questions that he answered during the panel right before the autograph signing (What was his favorite series and would we get a manga story bridging the gap between SDF Macross and Macross 7). Toshi has been translator for AZ panels for MANY years (I've gone every year since 99), so this was normal for him. I would have asked a question as well if I was in his shoes. I wasn't really expecting a 100% Q&A, but it was a nice change. The only thing that irked me was that the panel people had to get into line for the signing session.

947359_10151496056022585_1108531864_n.jp

984272_10151496056257585_2112743192_n.jp

I currently live in Greenwood SC for about the past 5 years, but I am from the Raleigh area before I moved here. It's a yearly thing that I get to go to Animazement (last year I couldn't due to finances), but I was able to help a buddy of mine in the dealers room this year. I maybe going to the Escapist Expo this year to help the same friend sell stuff there, so that should be fun.

I honestly didn't enjoy the con very much. The dealers room was kind of a let down, and I'm not one for dressing up haha.

I enjoyed seeing Mikimoto, but the event was a little sloppy, as they moved his room.

I only really went to meet a friend who had a spare ticket and see Mikimoto. Probably wouldn't go to another anime con otherwise haha.

Animazement is so on the fly on about everything, they just make up stuff as they go.

They don't put out a schedule till like the very last week (which as you can see, contradicts itself), which is why I can see these issues happening. I heard the panel about the wife of Ishiguro had 5 PEOPLE in there. If I was that guest, I would be very disappointed in the staff to invite me to a con where no one is going to show up.

I am surprised NOIZ came back, because when they were there last time, half the people went to their show from the previous year (which was in '09 if im not mistaken) and no one seemed that interested. My brother and I got their autographs when they first came, which 3 of the band members were outside the con off at the corner of the street taking a smoke break. That was pretty cool.

I live down in Wilmington, but used to live right outside of Garner.

I've gone to every single AZ since 99. Over the last few years, schedules aren't released until 1-3 weeks before con, which is not helpful at all.

AZ never had a band until Noize (that was mainly because of a contact they had). Kotoko was nice, but was unexpected, imo. Noize is what they have left, but are a huge draw. I'd rather then have had Balzac (who has US representation) like I begged them for (and gave them the contact info for) years ago.

That is the worst dealers room I've ever seen. And I go back to the Hilton days too. I spent more money in AA than in the dealers room. The Mikimoto panel/signing was one of the very VERY few panels I even went to this year, and I'm glad I did.

Yeah, I think I was one of the few who didn't bring dvds/books.

Well I first went to the con when they had it at the Sheraton hotel in Durham, which before they moved to the convention center, that place was packed out pretty tight. I was in the dealers room a majority of the time helping out my friends booth Agito Video Games (ie the one with all the PC games and was always packed). I cant complain, I came with two boxes and left with one, so people bought my crap.

I'd figure they would get like TM Revolution eventually (which I am guessing are still kinda big maybe?) I think what caused the dealers room to be smaller this year was that Anime Boston was happening the same weekend, and I think the bigger east coast vendors (such as Video Games New York) were over there than at this con.

I had one guy tell me he sent all his macross stuff to boston. I said.. oh that's too bad. I've got 600 bucks in my pocket and nothing to spend it on.

But most everything was overpriced. I saw an opened, yellowed medicom rei for 200 bucks. You can get a new one for less.

That one guy who sold the retro anime posters (which, I got the Gall Force one for 20 bucks) had all of Gall Force on DVD, including the 'hard as hell to find' Earth Chapter DVD. That dude wanted 150 bucks for all of them. I was ticked off because I have been trying to find that one DVD for a few years now, and it was bundled with the others that dont justify the price. Also, he didn't look like the type who had the friendly personality to barter with, so I was like "screw this."

Edited by ZeonicFreak