Offical word on how NY's preorder Yen exchange rate system works&#

Gakken85

Hello,

As long as you don't pay, you're not locked. The currency rate at the pre-order don't change.

If you want to change in Yens, you must ask us. For this, send your request to :contact.nippon-yasan.

Kind regards

This is from their Facebook. They have been really cool answering my questions over the last few weeks.

I think the main takeaway if you need to cancel a pre-order is do it ASAP, and don't pay now! Select pay later than request to pay in Yen when you checkout!

Hope this helps people.

I'm making this a separate thread so it doesn't get buried in the renewal thread.

I assume that is contact@nippon-yasan

Update and important:

Why would you need to know this?

http://www.forecasts.org/yen.htm

http://www.fxempire.com/technical/technical-analysis-reports/usdjpy-forecast-april-4-2013-technical-analysis/

https://www.google.com/finance?q=USDJPY

Basically, the longer you wait to pay, (potentially this year anyway according to forecasts) the less you will pay. As seen at the link above the yen is tending down all year long. This could change obviously. It looks like the Yen spiked up in the last quarter and is now trending down, which wont last forever.

Thanks.

Edited by Gakken85

Cool, while in the NY subject, I have never preordered from them, and I have a couple of orders that made it, I chose the pay later option, so...... How long do I have to pay them if the alto release is in July? Is it 15 days after the order got made? Or 15 days before the item arrives and is ready for shipping?

Thanks in advance!

If you pay now and the Yen is way up, you pay more. If you pay later and then yen is way down, you pay less. It's kind of a guessing game, but you would basically have 15 days to check currency.

You could use this: http://www.forecasts.org/yen.htm

And take a guess on what day is the best day to buy or to foresee any big bumps to save yourself a potential increase.

The forecast is basically saying the Yen will continue to fall all year, so the longer you wait the better.

As far as payment:

From the official FAQ: http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/content/10-precommandes

If your order has not yet been paid approximately 15 days before the official release, you will receive a reminder email.
You will have 15 days from the date of receipt of this email to pay your order before canceling.

Also keep in mind I am not an economist, (though I took some boring classes in college :p). Use at your own risk.

Also keep in mind that the Yen fluxes every friggin day and could shoot up this summer and by waiting you may pay MORE!

Edited by Gakken85

Also keep in mind I am not an economist, (though I took some boring classes in college :p). Use at your own risk.

Also keep in mind that the Yen fluxes every friggin day and could shoot up this summer and by waiting you may pay MORE!

For recent orders, you're taking a risk--could go either way of course. For older orders that'll be out soon--probably want to go with yen, as it's been falling for months straight now, and even if it starts going up tomorrow, you'll still probably come out ahead.

Also, if you choose to pay directly in USD, Nippon Yasan's conversion rate is better than PayPal's.

So I am confused. If I preorder in yen, and pay for it with Paypal when the valks are actually released, I am suppose to pay less...right? But we all know Paypal got terrible conversion rate compared to even ny, so would it be better to ask ny to charge in usd?

Hmmm... I think NY may have updated their policies when it comes to preorder pricing. A member at the Robot-Japan forums asked about it and this is what they wrote back

"The price of pre order is locked with the currency rate at the time of your pre order. It won't be adjust with the later rate. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us!"

It may now be better to pay in yen since this is the case.

Yeah, I gotta stop sharing information with people. haha

Actually, it wasn't you but I thank you for all your other info, bro. =)

Oh and it wasn't for any Macross related items if anyone is concerned.

Edited by OzmaLee74

For a policy change to happen at a time when it actually would've benefited the US consumer really bothers me.. Back in 2012 they had no problem with the strong yen so always made u pay in yen. But now that the usd is strong they don't want u to pay in yen so all of us that pre ordered get screwed. I was rummaging through my emails and found it was ok back then to reflect the yen rate but not now

C951EB35-98C9-4174-8FAF-20D11492A029-289

Hmmm... I think NY may have updated their policies when it comes to preorder pricing. A member at the Robot-Japan forums asked about it and this is what they wrote back

"The price of pre order is locked with the currency rate at the time of your pre order. It won't be adjust with the later rate. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us!"

It may now be better to pay in yen since this is the case.

Is this policy written anywhere on their site? This is a two way street I assume because if you manage to find a pre order cheaper from somewhere else and you cancel with them your refund should be exactly what you paid and not based on the current exchange rate?

I haven't gone through their policies again yet but think about it. Seeing how the yen just keeps dropping, it would be to their advantage to have prices locked in at time of preorder. By the time the customer finally pays, lets say in 3 months, they would probably get a few thousand more yen. Wasn't their somebody here whose order got changed to USD even though they chose Yen?

Yea if changing from yen to today's value if usd that would be beneficial but I pre ordered when the 1usd = 77yen so I'm totally getting screwed. If they would change it to convert to today's value if the usd sure I would gladly pay in usd but I'm not sure what they wanna so probably till tonight if they hopefully reply with some helpful news

I'm glad I requested a change in currency billing before the invoice was sent out. They never replied to my emails in this regard, but when I received the payment request today it was in Yen; it's such a minor thing, but the total with shipping came out to almost 20 USD cheaper than the original quoted amount when I placed my preorder. Now to decide if I should pay without delay or wait and see if the exchange rate gets even more favorable against the Dollar...

That's very good to hear that's lifting my spirits up... And your right ozmalee without NY I would never be able to get any macF valks.. They honestly got me by the balls on these valks and will pay it even if they tell me to go .... Myself but ill definitely be a happy camper if they accommodate the current exchange rate for me.. If not just gonna take it as lesson learned and always order in yen

I haven't looked too deeply at how this works but i agree. Now if they can lock down this yen conversion and only do it one way, I'd be inclined to possibly send them more of my business.

I think it would be better if they locked the system down to only charge in yen and make you pay in yen. The dollar amount should only be shown as a courtesy so that there is no mistaking what a customer is being charged.

None of this "I'll make you pay in dollars or yen depending on how favorable the conversion is." Keeps both ny and customers honest as far as I'm concerned.

Keep it simple.

Edited by xrentonx

Im new to pre-ordering and NY so... i was wondering.... what is the best shipping option to pick from all the options on the checkout screen or when ordering with NY.? can you change your shipping options after you place the preorder?? Im about to email them and ask them if I can pay in Yen instead of USD....

thanks in advance guys!