Macross Collectibles Market Watch - Current Auction/Store SOLD prices

jvmacross

Yeah, and even what's been re-released has been in limited quantities and is pretty much unavailable at retail now. Suppose you're new to Macross collecting and you just want to start with the basic Roy VF-1S. You can't find it retail anymore. Unless Arcadia is planning to periodically re-release the old standbys (which we won't know until they do), the aftermarket is your only option. So I'd say the prices are somewhat justified. I don't ever want to see them go to crazy high prices, but some rise in value makes sense.

YES! Ebay deals are more of the rare needle in a haystack today. It's definitely a seller's market.

But, I should leverage that by also saying that I think it is fair for anyone to risk an auction and get the best return (whether on eBay or yahoo Japan). What I don't understand is the buy-it-now auctions that are listed >$400USD. It's those sellers that I feel are taking advantage of things. I avoid them.

On the retail side, it would be great if Arcadia balanced things out by releasing more SDF-TV Valkyries. I have my personal favorites, but I'm not picky. Arcadia should re-release a few rarities or try another new paint scheme. Anyway, I do wonder what will come after the 1J/GBP set...

Guest davidwhangchoi

In what is arguably the Mother of all Macross sell-offs in recent memory.....a YJA seller's massive sale of several Yamato Macross toys recently concluded....

Some of the stand-outs included....

Yamato Macross 1 / 60VF-1 for super parts clear parts: 26500 JPY

http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u75267071

Yamato Macross 1/60 VF-1S Low Visibility: 46500 JPY

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f150640359

Yamato Macross 1/60 VF-1S Focker Weathering: 50000 JPY

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n146636746

Yamato Macross 1/60 VF-X Macross Chronicle: 46500 JPY

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h198721476

Yamato Macross 1 / 60VF-1 Zentraedi soldier uniform (let's face it...the VF-1A Max TV was free! ;) ): 76000 JPY

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h198903777

Yamato 1 / 2000 SDF-1 - pre-built: 321200 JPY

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b167691046

What ever happened to that thread about Macross becoming out of reach for collectors??? :wacko:;):p:)

did anyone win any of these on the guy's auction?

Come to think of it -- I don't think a single piece of my current Macross collection has come from eBay, despite the amount of time I've spent on that site. I think I've bought nearly everything from Mandarake, HLJ, Nippon-Yasan, or other MWF members. I had a couple of eBay valks that I have since sold, but nothing I currently own. I've gotten pretty good deals on other toys off of eBay -- Masterpiece Transformers, vintage Gakken Mospeada toys, etc. but not much Macross-wise.

did anyone win any of these on the guy's auction?

Yeah...I think some MW members have chimed in about their scores.....

I wonder if the seller just decided to exit the hobby or concentrate on another area of Macross collecting...I think I have seen that seller sell other stuff like cels....the guy easily made over 10K USD.....probably would have been double if he had sold everything off during Macross Panic One....

Come to think of it -- I don't think a single piece of my current Macross collection has come from eBay, despite the amount of time I've spent on that site. I think I've bought nearly everything from Mandarake, HLJ, Nippon-Yasan, or other MWF members. I had a couple of eBay valks that I have since sold, but nothing I currently own. I've gotten pretty good deals on other toys off of eBay -- Masterpiece Transformers, vintage Gakken Mospeada toys, etc. but not much Macross-wise.

When it comes to Macross collectibles, I equate eBay to a tourist trap where visitors pay 3 bucks for a keychain or fridge magnet when they could find the exact same item for 50 cents if they simply go out a little farther and ask a native where to buy.

It's a good thing I knew about MacrossWorld before I decided to start collecting cuz I don't think I would've been able to afford more than 2 valks total if I had to buy from eBay. I notice some of the sellers use some sketchy sales tactics too.... Like one seller post double listings for the valk they're selling, the first one at an extremely high price followed immediately by one that's a decent amount lower (but still ridiculous) so that the second one seems like a good deal by comparison to newbs or those unfamiliar to the hobby.

Macross collecting is more than just about the "valks".....plenty of good deals are still occasionally to be had on ebay if you collect more than just Macross toys....

Yes, very true! I apologize if my example was overtly narrow in generalizing about eBay, but since this is the "Toy" section of the forum, I skewed the post toward that example.

Plus, I do mostly collect toys since that's more my jam ;)

Yes, very true! I apologize if my example was overtly narrow in generalizing about eBay, but since this is the "Toy" section of the forum, I skewed the post toward that example.

Plus, I do mostly collect toys since that's more my jam ;)

No worries.....I did, however, intentionally title the thread Macross Collectibles Market Watch...

But, yeah, for a great majority on MW, it is ALL ABOUT THE VALKS... :) (I collect those too)

Are there any fans of the V1 DX VF-25's? I have one, but there's so much hate for it, that I don't know if I can sell it (I'm thinking about it, but I want to get a decent price for it, I don't want to sell it if I'm only going to get $20 bucks).

Haha, you got me there, jvmacross!

Out of curiosity, what else do you guys collect for Macross? I know animation cels and figures are big as well as vintage stuff... but otherwise I haven't found too much of interest outside of the toys for me. But I'm certainly a big enough Macross fan to branch out to other collectibles if something else catches my fancy.

Are there any fans of the V1 DX VF-25's? I have one, but there's so much hate for it, that I don't know if I can sell it (I'm thinking about it, but I want to get a decent price for it, I don't want to sell it if I'm only going to get $20 bucks).

I'd suggest you post an inquiry on value in the "What's it Worth?" thread...but like the fold drives on the SDF-1...it seems to have vanished.... :rolleyes:

Haha, you got me there, jvmacross!

Out of curiosity, what else do you guys collect for Macross? I know animation cels and figures are big as well as vintage stuff... but otherwise I haven't found too much of interest outside of the toys for me. But I'm certainly a big enough Macross fan to branch out to other collectibles if something else catches my fancy.

Anything...and everything imaginable.....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showforum=42

Daaamn... you really know your collectibles, jvm! :o

You know what would catch my interest now that I think about it?... Posters. I'm thinking of the large format frameable ones that would look awesome in the home office or man cave. Surprisingly, I haven't come across too many of those.

Any of you guys seen posters like that in the market?

You can find Macross posters on ebay and Yahoo Japan Auctions.....If I ever get a chance, I'll post what I have in the For Sale thread.

Most Japanese Macross posters will be B2-sized...however, there are some B1-sized available too (closer to standard sized US movie posters)....the B1-sized Macross theatrical posters will set you back $100 or more depending on condition...and they are harder to find than their B2 equivalents.

Many really nice Macross posters were also freebies (furoku) included in vintage anime magazines...those go for anywhere between $15-$100 depending on rarity and condition.

This one in my collection is priceless....

SDFM%20TV%20Promotional%20Poster.JPG

:)

Oh man, that one's awesome, jvm. :o It's a good thing I don't know where you live, haha! Thanks for all the info btw - much appreciated

Found this poster which is just amazing especially since it's also signed... but $1200!?! :blink::(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macross-Do-You-Remember-Love-Movie-Promo-Poster-Signed-by-Mikimono-Mari-Ijima/161363830140?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3Dd9eef83cdfa4485dbaad3a174de8f87e%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D331488394423

Anyone win the lottery recently and wanna pick this up for me? :lol:

Cels, art, sketches, and any items with signatures are among the most difficult to place a value on. Most times the item is "one-of-a-kind". As a result, the value is highly subjective. In the end, the item is worth what the seller is willing to part with it for and more importantly what the buyer is willing to pay for it. Open, non-reserve auctions are usually the best way to gauge the value of such items. Even then, it could still be influenced by "the right buyer, at the right time". For example, the signed poster you listed has been on eBay for weeks, if not months....is it not "worth" the asking price?....or has the "right" buyer not come along?

Well...I guess if you break down the combo as getting both a VF-1A and SSP set....the SSP are market rate ($150 or so) and the VF-1A is the new Arcadia going rate for new VF-1 releases....so around $300+ or so combined....plus if you wait for possible Arcadia re-releases...the Kaki -1A will be pinkish-white...and the SSP might be way off...as apparently Arcadia can't do shades of blue correctly.... :rolleyes:

Guest davidwhangchoi

Well...I guess if you break down the combo as getting both a VF-1A and SSP set....the SSP are market rate ($150 or so) and the VF-1A is the new Arcadia going rate for new VF-1 releases....so around $300+ or so combined....plus if you wait for possible Arcadia re-releases...the Kaki -1A will be pinkish-white...and the SSP might be way off...as apparently Arcadia can't do shades of blue correctly.... :rolleyes:

maybe arcadia skull kaki will be dark blue instead of green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0P5e3Qt2lM

That's about $340... is that considered scalper pricing? I'm not a fan of the design so I'll likely never be in the position to buy or sell one, so I have no stake in it. But it's a pretty rare valk and not one that Arcadia is ever likely to reissue. I've seen Max or Milia 1Js sell for higher.

Treatment thinks anything over 100 dollars is "scalper pricing". Don't think he gets market value haha.

Anyway, that's a decent right on market going rate price.

Just keep in mind shipping will be 30+ bucks for EMS (And jungle pads their shipping a bit) and you probably have to hunt down replacement shoulders unless you just want to display it in fighter mode.

So just shy of $400 with all the costs thrown in.

You might get lucky and if nobody touched it the shoulders might just have hairline cracks.

Edited by Gakken85