I only had one of those Max Factory figures, the Tortoise, and it sucked. It was like a $50 MSIA. Incredibly floppy joints. I don't know if Max Factory has improved the quality since that initial release but they have done some neat things to let you use the accessories across all of the figures.

Just picked up the Takara 1/18 scale Scopedog today.

It's pretty good, the most impressive thing being the weathered paint job IMO.

Pros:

1. Excellent weathered paint effects.
  2. Nice solid joints, holds poses very well.
  3. Good articulation = good posability.
  4. The rifle can be converted to short barrel version. Takara scores over Yamato on this point.

Cons:

1. The Chirico Cuvie Microman figure is a real piece of crap! The joints are too loose and the hands are constantly coming off, as is the holster for the Armor Magnum pistol and the chest canister and the right arm just below the shoulder. Getting him properly seated in the pilot seat and actually holding the Scopedog's contol handles took ages and made me so fustrated, I nearly stomped on the Chirico figure in a fit of frustration!
  2. I'm not impressed with the Scopedog's hand design at all. The plug-in non-articulated PVC thumb and finger parts for holding the rifle are not very secure IMO. The finger section tends to come off quite easily. With PVC I can see the problem getting worse with time. I would have preffered hinged ABS hands.
  3. One of the two cables that attaches to the front of the control column broke within minutes. The column is hinged to move up and down, but the cables aren't sturdy enough to take the movement where they attach to the column.
  4. Lack of accessories.
  5. The head antenas are very stiff with no flex at all and seem pretty fragile (easy to snap).
  6. The visor will not stay up by itself and falls right down again.
  7. Lack of any detailing on the insides of the skirt armor. Come on Takara, the much smaller and cheaper 1/200 scale Bandai HCM-PROs (especially the Sazabi) have an insane amount of inner-armor detail at a fraction of the cost. There's no excuse for this on a modern, larger high-end toy costing much more.

Overall, it's good, but not quite as good as I was expecting. The Microman Chirico was a real disappointment. Also, I'd have definitely prefered the head antenna to be made of a slightly flexible material, such as POM or PVC. As it is, they are just too stiff and likely to snap if the toy is dropped. I find myself cosnstantly worring about this when handling the toy.

I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10 all together.

I'll probably eventually pick up a Yamato 1/12 version for comparison.

Graham

1. The Chirico Cuvie Microman figure is a real piece of crap! The joints are too loose and the hands are constantly coming off, as is the holster for the Armor Magnum pistol and the chest canister and the right arm just below the shoulder. Getting him properly seated in the pilot seat and actually holding the Scopedog's contol handles took ages and made me so fustrated, I nearly stomped on the Chirico figure in a fit of frustration!

2. I'm not impressed with the Scopedog's hand design at all. The plug-in non-articulated PVC thumb and finger parts for holding the rifle are not very secure IMO. The finger section tends to come off quite easily. With PVC I can see the problem getting worse with time. I would have preffered hinged ABS hands.

3. One of the two cables that attaches to the front of the control column broke within minutes. The column is hinged to move up and down, but the cables aren't sturdy enough to take the movement where they attach to the column.

4. Lack of accessories.

5. The head antenas are very stiff with no flex at all and seem pretty fragile (easy to snap).

6. The visor will not stay up by itself and falls right down again.

7. Lack of any detailing on the insides of the skirt armor. Come on Takara, the much smaller and cheaper 1/200 scale Bandai HCM-PROs (especially the Sazabi) have an insane amount of inner-armor detail at a fraction of the cost. There's no excuse for this on a modern, larger high-end toy costing much more.

Ha, the Yamato Scopedog has all of these...

1. Big Chirico figure, made of proper materials with proper joints... ALL Microman figures suck.

2. The Scopedog has big PVC hands, but they are solid... the only thing for the gun hand is the removable tumb, which is pretty tight once in place.

3. The whole interior is waaay solid on the Yammie.

4. I consider the four hands, three MG ammo clips, two sets of punching arm plugs, and all the removable armor plenty of accessories.

5. Not floppy, but flexible enough antennas to not be at risk.

6. Visor is nice and tight, and incredibly detailed both inside and out.

7. Details GALORE! And yeah, the HCM Saabi is gorgeous.

I say you still need to grab the Yamto Scopedog... you haven't had a true Scopedog replica until you get the 1/12.

Got my ammo box set today and just finished watching about 6 episodes. So far I love this show and can tell it's going to be an instant favorite. There are so few anime series I like so it's awesome to get into another one. Thanks to all who recommended the ammo box!

And now I must have more toys!

While overall, I like the Takara 1/18 DMZ Scopedog, the crappy hands and Microman piss me off more and more each day.

Definitely going to try the Yamto if I can find one. Seems they're sold out everywhere here.

Graham

I can live with those. Don't play with the microman anyway. I have worse times with the Yammie 1/48 hands and hip rubber seals.

The 1/12 seems a bit big and chunky to 'play' with. The 1/18 Scope and 1/48 yamato seems about the maximum 'right' size for a playable toy.

There are heaps of them still on sale here in Singapore. I noticed that HK seems to move their stocks faster. The shoppies seem more inclined to put things on sale to clear the shelves of older stock compared to Singapore.

Got my ammo box set today and just finished watching about 6 episodes. So far I love this show and can tell it's going to be an instant favorite. There are so few anime series I like so it's awesome to get into another one. Thanks to all who recommended the ammo box!

And now I must have more toys!

Whats in the ammo box set?I keep seeing it in suncoast and keep wondering why they are charging $60+ for it?

Dang, I didn't even think to check Suncoast for this set, the $60 range is a downright steal! I paid around $90 with shipping and it's easily worth that.

Graham - sorry to hear your DMZ experience was a bit sour. The hands really are an annoyance but I'm hoping to somehow get an articulated set that they put on the newer ones. My Microman Chirico is pretty much perfect, doesn't fall apart, isn't loose. But since I have other Microman figures I know that he's an anomoly.

While overall, I like the Takara 1/18 DMZ Scopedog, the crappy hands and Microman piss me off more and more each day.

Definitely going to try the Yamto if I can find one. Seems they're sold out everywhere here.

Graham

Hmm, my micro-chirico is either stuck in the cockpit or in some kind of action pose running alongside the 'dog. He's also good enough to pose in a climbing-up-the-tank scenario. The worst thing is definitely his crap hands. They should just make them ball-jointed and that would eliminate at least one pair of redundant 'piloting' hands.

As for the Scopedog's swap out hands, I thought about it and decided to GLUE the pistol-grip set in-place for the right hand. I simply don't see a situation where my Scopedog would ever be posed with the right hand empty, so a 'permanent' grip on the AT-rifle seems like a good compromise. Not ideal but it makes an already enjoyable toy much more fuss-free during play.

It'll be interesting to hear how you find the 1/12 when you get it. Most Votoms fans buy into one or the other, not both. :-)

Just as a heads-up: if you don't like the annoying removable-thumb hands on the DMZ, you should know the Yamato has the same problem. In fact, I've had more trouble with the Yamato thumbs falling off.

Both great toys. I'd give the DMZ the edge, but I'm glad to have both.

Dang, I didn't even think to check Suncoast for this set, the $60 range is a downright steal! I paid around $90 with shipping and it's easily worth that.

Graham - sorry to hear your DMZ experience was a bit sour. The hands really are an annoyance but I'm hoping to somehow get an articulated set that they put on the newer ones. My Microman Chirico is pretty much perfect, doesn't fall apart, isn't loose. But since I have other Microman figures I know that he's an anomoly.

From the pics of the new 1/18 Scopedog SA (with Fayna) it looks like the the fingers are very much articulated. (Just wave your mouse over the pic 2nd from the bottom.)

They were originally selling it for $100 but itsmarked down to $60

From the pics of the new 1/18 Scopedog SA (with Fayna) it looks like the the fingers are very much articulated. (Just wave your mouse over the pic 2nd from the bottom.)

Yeah, those are the hands I was referring to, they look fan-damn-tastic. I've got my fingers crossed that Takara releases an accessory pack with weapons and articulated hands. I don't expect them to, but I bet it would sell really well.

I'm probably going to go with Drifand's solution and glue the fingers on the rifle holding hand.

Question 1, which glue works best on the PVC DMZ hands?

Question 2, anybody got the new Microman Chirico figure with the big machine gun yet? Are the joints a bit stiffer?

BTW, my son really likes the Takara 1/18 Scopedog. He has good taste in mecha as he also likes the Yamato YF-19, VF-0 & VF-1!

Graham

I'm going to assume a small drop of super0glue would be best for the PVC thumb, bc/ I'm not sure if plastic cement will work on it... And honestly, I the joints on the Microman Chirico probably aren't stiffer, bc on a whole Microman figures are made of real cheap feeling ABS plastic that loosens up real easily.

If you want really firm permanant bond, super glue.

I used UHU... applied a thin coat on the finger-peg, plus a a bit in the slot. Wait 5 minutes then assemble with rifle-grip in position. Wait another 10-15 minutes to 'dry'. Fix thumb back in w/o glue.

Seems like a long wait but the UHU is strong enough to hold without becoming a seriously 'un-rippable' supaglue bond. Also, UHU gives you a bit of leeway when putting the pieces together... I get nervous with supaglue's 'instant bite' which can become a 'grip of death' if you joined them wrongly.

I just saw the first episode of Votoms (watched the English version on the bonus disc for kicks) and I was super surprised by the quality of the visuals. This is great work. The story is off to a decent start also and I like the less cutesy character design. I don't think it will ever get me into buying the toys for the series but it looks like this might be a good way to kill time until my new desk comes in and I can actually start working at home again.

Just got the 1/12 scale Yamato Scopedog - and good gravy is this thing HUGE! Looks great, but is almost too big.

I can see how some might prefer the smaller scale ones, as this one takes up the footprint of an entire shelf of my slim display case (formerly rented out by 3 1/48 valkyrie battroids...sorry guys, you're evicted for the time being).

No complaints here about the quality and detail of the Yamato, other than it not coming with a Chirico figure.

Just got the 1/12 scale Yamato Scopedog - and good gravy is this thing HUGE! Looks great, but is almost too big.

I can see how some might prefer the smaller scale ones, as this one takes up the footprint of an entire shelf of my slim display case (formerly rented out by 3 1/48 valkyrie battroids...sorry guys, you're evicted for the time being).

No complaints here about the quality and detail of the Yamato, other than it not coming with a Chirico figure.

And I just ordered the Yamato 1/12 scale Chirico figure but don't have the 'dog. I know I'll get one eventually, even though I'm intimidated by it's size. BTW folks, if you're looking for a 1/12 Chirico figure Toyslogic.com seems to still have some in stock.

Now that I've seen more of the series ( I'm on episode 12) I'm loving it even more. So far I like it almost as much as SDF Macross. It's filled with action, interesting characters, great mechs, and nothing cutesy or annoying. Well, Cocona gets irritating sometimes with her wailing, but Vanilla tells her shut the hell up so it's all good. :lol:

Edited by eriku

Heh, my 2 year, 9 month old son really likes the Takara DMZ Scopedog. Every night when I come home for the last 3 nights, he keeps asking me to play with it (he knows not to touch the toys in my display case without asking permission first).

I take the toy out for him and he really likes opening and closing the cockpit and taking out the Chirico figure and movingthe gun arm and making shooting noises.

Graham

While trying in vain to track down a Yamato 1/12 Scopedog here in Hong Kong (they're all sold out everywhere), I came across a single lone Toys R Us limited edition giftset, consisting of the Scopedog and Parachute Sack in a special box. Anybody know if this is a ver.1 or ver.2 Scopedog?

Also, what is the exact difference between versions? Is a version 2 just a version 1 with all the fiddly little bits for the joints you get with the weapons sets already installed, or does it actually have all new tooling for the joints?

Graham

Also, what is the exact difference between versions? Is a version 2 just a version 1 with all the fiddly little bits for the joints you get with the weapons sets already installed, or does it actually have all new tooling for the joints?

Graham

I have one of each. The ver 2 is a significant improvement, although it doesn't revolutionize the toy. The toes are clicky, which greatly reduces the danger of the toy flopping over (a significant risk with ver 1). There are other changes too, I forget what they all are - basically the joints are improved. I think someone listed the changes in a thread at TBDX a while back. Definitely get ver 2 instead of ver 1.

Keep in mind that the Yamato isn't 'weathered' at all, it's more like an unpainted PG gundam kit. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

I just my Max Factory Votoms, The standing turtle mkI and the regular scopedog to be exact. Theyre pretty good figures, but I dont feel they're worth the $40-$60 prices I see mostly online.

First of all, theyre 1/35 scale. So theyre pretty small (about 5"). Their cockpits dont open and dont have a pilot(s). Both figures come with multiple hands which snap on and stay on plus their signiture weapons. Initially out of the box the joints are uber tight, but I see them loosening up in the long run. Actually, I had to almost pry the head off the scopedog to allow for articulation.

Speaking of articulation, I counted 32 points on the scopedog and 31 on the standing tortoise (only because he doesnt have an actual head) So its very posable (but sometimes cannot hold a pose, finding this out 10 minutes after writing this review) The PVC used is quite sturdy, I almost thought it was styrene. Most of the PVC is painted very well and generously panel lined. Both figures come with stickers/ decals.

The lowdown.. Theyre a little pricey and if you have the cash to burn theyre mildy reccomended. (they should priced the same as the revoltechs IMO) But if you want to own one (or two) HLJ has frequent sales on them. (Buy in bulk save on shipping) I think theyre sized perfect for dioramas.