For some reason I have gone Votoms crazy.

I think it started a few months ago when my local Comic Shop got a Yamato 1/12 Scopedog. Then I watched some episodes I had on my Laptop. Then I saw the re-release set. I ordered that yesterday online. Then I went to my Comic Shop and he is blowing out a bunch of toys and I got the Scopedog for $60! Now I must find a Chirico Cuvie pilot figure. Anyone got a bead on a cheap one? 

Can wait till my DVDs get here. Anyone else watching this latley?

427284[/snapback]

I feel your pain. After reading about it for so long, I jumped on the CPM rereleases as soon as they came out and now I'm hooked. Those neat Max Factory VOTOMS (along with the new GITS toys) are threatening to drag me back into collecting.

For some reason I have gone Votoms crazy.

I think it started a few months ago when my local Comic Shop got a Yamato 1/12 Scopedog. Then I watched some episodes I had on my Laptop. Then I saw the re-release set. I ordered that yesterday online. Then I went to my Comic Shop and he is blowing out a bunch of toys and I got the Scopedog for $60! Now I must find a Chirico Cuvie pilot figure. Anyone got a bead on a cheap one?

Can wait till my DVDs get here. Anyone else watching this latley?

Exactly how I got into it too.... tho I payed 130 for my Yammie Scopedog. :rolleyes:

Oooh, one question... can yours hold its rifle outstretched and elbow bent?  I find that the elbows aren't tight enough to hold the rediculously big rifle... I'm wondering if the Scopedog can hold the shorter gun from the weapons pack with the elbow bent.

407380[/snapback]

Mine can't hold the rifle because of the shoulder joint. The whole arm rotates down.

Then I went to my Comic Shop and he is blowing out a bunch of toys and I got the Scopedog for $60! Now I must find a Chirico Cuvie pilot figure. Anyone got a bead on a cheap one? 

427284[/snapback]

Good luck finding a cheap one. He's hard enough to find let alone finding a cheap one. I've been looking for a while and the cheapest I found was like $20 a few months ago.

Mine can't hold the rifle because of the shoulder joint. The whole arm rotates down.

The problem with mine is mor at the elbow, but the shoulder could be tighter as well.... i still love it tho. I'm getting ready to take the whole thing apart and weather and detail it and decal it up.... anyone know if Yamato plans on ever making the Trubo-Custom or RSB weapons equipment sets?

Oooh, one question... can yours hold its rifle outstretched and elbow bent?  I find that the elbows aren't tight enough to hold the rediculously big rifle... I'm wondering if the Scopedog can hold the shorter gun from the weapons pack with the elbow bent.

407380[/snapback]

Then I went to my Comic Shop and he is blowing out a bunch of toys and I got the Scopedog for $60! Now I must find a Chirico Cuvie pilot figure. Anyone got a bead on a cheap one? 

427284[/snapback]

Good luck finding a cheap one. He's hard enough to find let alone finding a cheap one. I've been looking for a while and the cheapest I found was like $20 a few months ago.

427416[/snapback]

If you buy one of the accessory packs they come with a piece(1 for each arm) that slides over the shoulder joint to keep the arms from rotating down when holding the rifle. I had weapon set #1 and the parachute pack. They both came with the extra parts for the shoulder.

The Chirico figure usually sells for around 25-30.00.

Ya my volume 4 showed up the other day. The ammo box is alright. CPM did a good job on this series. I just have to sit through and watch it all again.

If you buy one of the accessory packs they come with a piece(1 for each arm) that slides over the shoulder joint to keep the arms from rotating down when holding the rifle. I had weapon set #1 and the parachute pack. They both came with the extra parts for the shoulder.

The Chirico figure usually sells for around 25-30.00.

Ya my volume 4 showed up the other day. The ammo box is alright. CPM did a good job on this series. I just have to sit through and watch it all again.

427630[/snapback]

THe only problem is that the Chirico figure is hard to find. HLJ has him but thats about the only place that does.

A joint piece?  Really?  Sounds like I DO need to get the Round Mover set afterall....

427686[/snapback]

Ya you remove the arm and slide it on the torso. It came with weapons set #1 and the parachute pack. I don't know about the round mover set.

I'll have to check.. i hope it comes with the Round Mover because the only reason I'd end up buying WP#1 would be if I was going to use the backpack and Missile launcher as parts for a kitbashed RSB/Turbo Custom equipment set. Come to think of it, didn't they release a RSB version of the Scopey? Seems like they oughta release the extra equipment for that, which I want really badly, in case you couldn't tell.

I'll have to check.. i hope it comes with the Round Mover because the only reason I'd end up buying WP#1 would be if I was going to use the backpack and Missile launcher as parts for a kitbashed RSB/Turbo Custom equipment set.  Come to think of it, didn't they release a RSB version of the Scopey?  Seems like they oughta release the extra equipment for that, which I want really badly, in case you couldn't tell.

427804[/snapback]

I'm not sure if it's out yet but they are releasing the Red shoulder version. I think it's this one that comes with clear parts to replace some of the leg and arm pieces so you can see the internal stuff.

I think some of the weapons packs are on sale at Entertainment Earth. I was debating whether or not to get some. Might be worth it if they have the should piece.

• 3 weeks later...

What did the OVA's (aside from Mellowlink) cover?

Spoilers Ahoy!

They all fill in gaps and then also expand the story.

One is about Chirico's Past as a Red Shoulder

One is about CHirico getting together with some former Red Shoulders to kill their former commander(fits between arcs 2-3)

Another is about a crazy Battler that wants to prove himself by killing Chirico

Last Heresy expands the story after the end. Chirco must fight for his life against a new form of a perfect soldier 35 years from his end in the original story.[/spoiloer]

I have seen a few in raw Japanese and they were awesome.

There are a few clips on youtube.com also.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering has anybody picked up the Takara 1/18 scale Scopedog toy that was released late last month and if so, how does it compare with the Yamato 1/12 scale version?

Although I haven't handled the Takara version yet and it sold out pretty quickly at shops here in Hong Kong, from what I can tell it has the advantages over Yamato of having a cheaper price point, comes with a Chirico Cuvie microman pilot figure and has a weathered paint job.

Graham

I hate to say it, but I give this round to Takara. I hate Takara, I think they're inferior compared to Yamato, Kaiyodo, and Bandai but whoever did this for Takara did it right. It's like the sturdiness of most Takara toys, with the details at a Yamato level. Just check one out in person, get your hands on it and you'll see what I mean.

I just started re-watching all 4 volumes for the second time, and I have to reaffirm my love for this show. It's a damn shame that VOTOMS never got the kind of exposure in North America that Macross (via Robodick) or Gundam have recieved. This show deserves more love, dammit. I hope one of the old-school fansubbers picks up the OVAs so we can have a chance to see them. Best case, they get some sort of re-release when the new VOTOMS series airs.

Actually I've never seen the VOTOMS anime, any of it. I always loved the mecha though. Not quite as much as valks and Gundams, but it's still cool. I have a few of the toys and a weapons kit, but that's it.

Edited by Excillon

Eriku: LAFTOYS still have some in stock. :)

Check it's link below:

TAKARA VOTOMS

Awesome! Thank you so much for the link. I was tempted to wait for the Spacedog because of the backpack and better hands, but I just don't like the paintjob on it nearly as much as the Scopdog. Too dull and monotone.

Looks like my Xmas gift to myself this year will be the 1/18 Scopedog! (Sorry Yf-19 :()

Actually I've never seen the VOTOMS anime, any of it. I always loved the mecha though. Not quite as much as valks and Gundams, but it's still cool. I have a few of the toys and a weapons kit, but that's it.

You should get the box set. It is easily the grittiest and down to earth storytelling mecha show ever made. The plot keeps you glued. I went through the set in about 4 days. Now I am getting ready to watch it again after my friend gets finished watching it.

I'm a day late and a dollar short to this thread but.. I just bought the Max Factory 1/35 toys on sale at hlj - the Standing Tortoise, Bloodsucker and Scopedoggie. They ARE pvc but great detail and articulation. If anyone else has these can you tell me why the little square plugs on the sides of the torso are removeable?

I'm a day late and a dollar short to this thread but.. I just bought the Max Factory 1/35 toys on sale at hlj - the Standing Tortoise, Bloodsucker and Scopedoggie. They ARE pvc but great detail and articulation. If anyone else has these can you tell me why the little square plugs on the sides of the torso are removeable?

... so that you can plug in the extra armaments from the Red Shoulder Custom / Turbo Custom etc.

How are these? I've sworn off collecting expensive( Yamato lol :) toys but these might do the trick.

aaaaah. Thanks Dri. *slaps own head*

How are these? I've sworn off collecting expensive( Yamato lol :) toys but these might do the trick.

They're not bad. So long as you don't hate PVC with a firey passion they're good. detail's good, poseability is great, paint job is good, nice decals, and not too many bumps/blemishes for a pvc toy. I did want to get them but wasn't prepared to pay the stupid prices. Then hlj had a 65% off sale on them and I'd bought them 10 seconds later.

I see the Standing Tortoise is still available on the hlj sale page.

So who has a linky to a well-priced box set? I saw one on eBay but I figured it'd probably have horribly butchered English and be some HK hack job.

You're probably not going to find it cheaper than $100, but it's easily avaible at rightstuf.com

• 2 weeks later...

aaaaah. Thanks Dri. *slaps own head*

They're not bad. So long as you don't hate PVC with a firey passion they're good. detail's good, poseability is great, paint job is good, nice decals, and not too many bumps/blemishes for a pvc toy. I did want to get them but wasn't prepared to pay the stupid prices. Then hlj had a 65% off sale on them and I'd bought them 10 seconds later.

I see the Standing Tortoise is still available on the hlj sale page.

ya I just bought the regular Scopedog for about 40.00 shipped from the infamous TISINC(ebay auction)..

Not a bad toy for PVC. Well balanced and fairly posable. But after looking around at other ones they are kind of expensive considering their size, 5-6 inches. Too bad I missed out on the HLJ sale. I'll keep my eye out though