Disc-3 stuff.

The "movies" are just compressed 60-min versions of the arcs and stuff.

The highlight of disc-3 was pretty much the  "re-animated" op-themes using either some 1/48 ActicGears or prolly even ancient 1/24 kits...

disc3menu.jpg.769103e45b394b5a39202b6f10a9f67a.jpg

I'm a bit peeved that amz canceled my ova-1 order, so i'll prolly resurrect my acct at TRS if MaidenJapan didn't cancel their OVA-offering altogether...

480p

Yeah. At 480p, they can fit the complete series in 2 Blu-Ray discs.

So I'm assuming this is not a Blu-Ray treatment release then? Since it's just 480p. Would be forgivable though if it's using 720p. That way it's not super pixelized if you're watching it on a big TV (1080p TV and above).

Disc-3 stuff.

The "movies" are just compressed 60-min versions of the arcs and stuff.

The highlight of disc-3 was pretty much the  "re-animated" op-themes using either some 1/48 ActicGears or prolly even ancient 1/24 kits...

disc3menu.jpg.769103e45b394b5a39202b6f10a9f67a.jpg

I'm a bit peeved that amz canceled my ova-1 order, so i'll prolly resurrect my acct at TRS if MaidenJapan didn't cancel their OVA-offering altogether...

Did it get canceled? i wasn't sure what was going on with that. I had it in my Amazon Wishlist, and about a week or two ago they added a cover image to it, and then a few days later it switched to "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Yeah. At 480p, they can fit the complete series in 2 Blu-Ray discs.

So I'm assuming this is not a Blu-Ray treatment release then? Since it's just 480p. Would be forgivable though if it's using 720p. That way it's not super pixelized if you're watching it on a big TV (1080p TV and above).

It is on Blu-Ray discs, but no, I don't think it was remastered or anything was done to it at all for this release.

I watched the first couple episodes late last night. In fairness, it looks just fine on my decent size tv, not noticeably pixelated or anything, but nothing special. Pretty much not significantly different from the recent BGC and Zillion releases, to my uneducated eyes. Still looks better than the stuff out on youtube. Hey, for $35 for 52 episodes, I'm not complaining at this point.

Did it get canceled? i wasn't sure what was going on with that. I had it in my Amazon Wishlist, and about a week or two ago they added a cover image to it, and then a few days later it switched to "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Dunno.

It's still listed on TRS, tho, so maybe Amzn's just being jerks about it.

Just noticed this, but the always-venerable and always-reliable Mike Toole (at least from old-school anime fans) recently wrote an article about VOTOMS:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2019-03-11/.144186

For anybody interested in VOTOMS anime universe/legends/myths, and would like a more solid background writeup on it...

fyi.

Here are some quick comparo-snaps i took between this new BD-release (left-side) and the old fansub of the remastered r2-dvd version (right-side).

You may notice the obvious graininess, softness/unsharpened and other stuff from the BD-release in comparison with the old fansub-version.

I'm not sure if MaidenJapan got the older original video-source or the recent remastered-video source to produce their BD-version. If they got the remastered-video source, then it prolly just shows the limitation of it when MJ converted it to BD format.

I'm not sure if the fansub-group did some additional video cleanup and stuff on their version since I don't own the actual R2J remastered-boxset of VOTOMS-tv (it was/still is way too expensive!) to verify their video.

Who knows?  :shrugs:

I didn't bother taking snaps from  the old ammo-box r1-dvd from cpm since that was an even older non-remastered version, anyway.

snap6.png

snap7.png

snap8.png

snap10.png

snap11.png

snap14.png

snap17.png

Edited by treatment

fyi.

Here are some quick comparo-snaps i took between this new BD-release (left-side) and the old fansub of the remastered r2-dvd version (right-side).

You may notice the obvious graininess, softness/unsharpened and other stuff from the BD-release in comparison with the old fansub-version.

I'm not sure if MaidenJapan got the older original video-source or the recent remastered-video source to produce their BD-version. If they got the remastered-video source, then it prolly just shows the limitation of it when MJ converted it to BD format. 

I'm not sure if the fansub-group did some additional video cleanup and stuff on their version since I don't own the actual R2J remastered-boxset of VOTOMS-tv (it was/still is way too expensive!) to verify their video. 

Who knows?  :shrugs:

I didn't bother taking snaps from  the old ammo-box r1-dvd from cpm since that was an even older non-remastered version, anyway.

snap14.png

Is that really the BD on the left side? The grammar nazi in me is bothered. :lol:

The BD set is getting pretty bad reviews on Amazon... someone even said it's worse than the ammo set release which is a huge bummer.

My review of the ThreeZero Melkia is up on anymoon.com! I may add a few photos later tonight. You can also see the video here:

The BD set is getting pretty bad reviews on Amazon... someone even said it's worse than the ammo set release which is a huge bummer.

My review of the ThreeZero Melkia is up on anymoon.com! I may add a few photos later tonight. You can also see the video here:

The BD's video-quality is about the same as the old ammo-box dvd video-quality.

As for your ThreeZero Melkia...

Is it three or four FATALITY! (or ZEROes!) now for you with this product-line from threezero?

They won't even offer to fix or replace it for you, huh? 

I don't think you should even really give them any high-scoring when their very expensive product has extreme-fragility/plastic-fatality issues and won't offer any guarantees or any fix/replacement program for it.

They might be good at mimicking the scopedog-design in the aesthetics dept, but they seem to lack any actual proper engineering to make and manufacture their "toys" to sustain even minimum handling without the toy breaking apart fatally.

Just hope you got some compensation from your vendor about this fragile item.

Let's count the fails:
1) Retail green Scopedog foot broken. Sent to ThreeZero for repair
2) Scopedog returned to me with right arm broken off
3) Replacement green Scopedog broken at the waist
4) Melquiya Scopedog broken at foot just like item 1

So, I would say out of the 5 Scopedogs I've had (counting the first one twice since it was shipped away and came back), I have had 4 suffer catastrophic failures. Now, my repair on the Melquiya turned out FAR better than I would ever hope, and the repair on the green Scopedog's waist seems like it will hold up really well, so at the end of the day, things could be a whole lot worse. 

I have to say, the engineering of the toy is actually quite nice. It all boils down to materials and manufacturing. I suspect the foot is breaking because:
A) That piece, like the shoulder and waist pieces SHOULD be metal
B) It might be getting screwed down too tight

Since I've had to take my toys apart more than most, I will say I am completely spoiled by the Yamato Scopedogs. Their assembly is phenomenal. The fact it can all be popped apart and reveals more details as you dig down is so neat... and though I've never had to repair one, it really seems like any repair would be very easily done. Yeah, they could have done the feet/ankles better to make the toy more stable, but otherwise that toy sets a standard for me on how toys should be built. In contrast, the ThreeZero adds modern articulation improvements (including the WAY better hands), and that amazing paint job, but the thing is glued together head-to-toe. There were some places that are screwed together, and when you remove the screws nothing happens because the part is also glued together at some other step in the manufacturing process. Not a fan. 

Picture request, does anyone happen to own the Red Shoulder Oddon Equipment Set (from Roots of Ambition)? I have the gift-set but it doesn't come with the stand alone box so I would like to find some higher resolution photos of that box so some day I can include them on my site.

• 1 month later...

Tag hobby. They’re listed as 1/48 minipla kits and seems to be sold as a set of three for around 2300 yen. I may have misread something in the details, but I think that’s what it says. The 2300 price may be for each, but that’s the part I’m not sure on. 1/48 kits would be very small and could be the price for all three.

Edited by Big s
More information

2 hours ago, Big s said:

Tag hobby. They’re listed as 1/48 minipla kits and seems to be sold as a set of three for around 2300 yen. I may have misread something in the details, but I think that’s what it says. The 2300 price may be for each, but that’s the part I’m not sure on. 1/48 kits would be very small and could be the price for all three.

I'll probably get if it's 2300 yen for a set. Otherwise I think it's too expensive...

I’d buy even if that price was for each. I still think it’s more likely for the set. Wave sells stripped down versions of their larger 1/35 kits for almost $30. And the average 1/144 gundam kit is around $10, so under $10 each sounds more realistic for these little guys.

• 3 weeks later...

fyi.

Just got VOTOMS-OVA Blu-ray dekivered today and here is the menu-content:

votoms-ova-bd-051419.jpg.3fe32b4e6144e6e93864134553ad4a86.jpg

edit/add:

As you can tell, it does not contain:

-- Pailsen Files Movie
-- Alone Again ova
-- Phantom Arc ova
-- MellowLink ova (non-chirico/side-story)
-- Case Irvine ova (non-chirico/side-story)
-- Votoms Finder ova (non-chirico/side-story)

Maybe maiden-japan will do a third bd-release that contain these still-missing titles.

Or maybe not...

Edited by treatment

Got mine today, but haven't watched any of it yet. I had heard that the original prints were destroyed in a fire in the 90s, and that's why nothing has been remastered. Don't know if there is any truth to that.

Yeah.  Not sure if there's really any truth in that rather persistent rumor.  Maybe only Mellow Link's masters really got lost in a fire or something.

Regardless and despite being SD-dumps, "Last Red Shoulder" and "Origin of Ambition" video-qualites seems to hold up and actually still looks good to be watching and stuff.  Even Big Battle's video-quality is ok, tho the video-quality looks more similar to a cleaned-up TV episode.

Unfortunately, both Shining Heresy and Pailsen Files are where the low SD video-quality shows up and becomes really noticable.  Rather ironic since these two were the more recent titles than the 80's OVAs above.

We'll see if Maiden Japan will license and release the rest of the later VOTOMS anime.  "Alone Again", "Phantom Arc", "Votoms Finder", and "Case:Irvine" definitely have had native Blu-Ray releases in Japan.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:24 PM, treatment said:

fyi.

Just got VOTOMS-OVA Blu-ray dekivered today and here is the menu-content:

votoms-ova-bd-051419.jpg.3fe32b4e6144e6e93864134553ad4a86.jpg

edit/add:

As you can tell, it does not contain:

-- Pailsen Files Movie
-- Alone Again ova
-- Phantom Arc ova
-- MellowLink ova (non-chirico/side-story)
-- Case Irvine ova (non-chirico/side-story)
-- Votoms Finder ova (non-chirico/side-story)

Maybe maiden-japan will do a third bd-release that contain these still-missing titles.

Or maybe not...

Looks like OVA 2 is up for preorder now.

46 minutes ago, jenius said:

Looks like OVA 2 is up for preorder now.

yup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/6317849846/

7/23

stupidly shocking expensive po-pricing at US$60???  it should go down in pricing.

At any rate, let's see.  I do hope these are the native bluray versions instead of the yet-another-sd-versions.

9 episodes should be:

-- six for Phantom Arc

-- one each for Case:Irvine, Votoms Finder and "Chirico's Return" <-- gotta be the "Alone Again" ova.

-- still no Pailsen Files Movie nor Mellow Link.  WTF, MaidenJapan???!!! <_<