Removing tampo details from DX valks...

LOW_ALT

Some of the markings on the DX line (like "NUNS" on the VF-171) really ruin the aircraft for me, thus I'd like to clean up some of my craft by removing a few of the ridiculous and excessive markings. But these little details seem pretty robust and I'm hesitant to try to anything unknown.

I've seen several threads on this site depicting other's attempts at removing the Yamato tampos, but I don't recall reading anything pertaining specifically to the Bandai DX line and some of the links in old threads are dead.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've been tempted to do the same thing, but I resigned myself to wait until they begin to wear off on their own.

Anyway, I believe the ink used in tampo prints is similar to water based acrylic paint. I remember someone commenting on this when they went to remove the rainbow coating from a VF-1 canopy. They suggested using something like Tamiya acrylic thinner, or possibly windex, but warned that it will remove the black paint from the canopy frame as well.

I can't say what the exact chemical is that will remove the tampo prints though, someone else may be able to give more details.

On the other hand, if you really tried, you could probably remove the markings with your fingernail. :p

I've heard everything from thinner to carb cleaner for tampo marking removal. Most of the info I can find via google seems to be geared towards removing tampos from die-cast or painted parts, not much pertaining to bare plastics :wacko:

The safe for plastics solution is either Windex/Ammonia for some paints and Pinesol for the tougher. Pinesol won't mess with ABS and others say its safe for Styrene. I've used it safely on ABS without it marring or cracking the plastic. - MT

• 2 years later...