Beginner's Model Building Construction BASICS

MechTech

3 hours ago, wsna said:

Hello MWers - I would like some sound advice and/or tips about getting glue residue off clear plastic windshields. I was moving a bottle of cyranoacrylate (medium setting) glue and the top got loose from me and left a large dollop on the windshield of one of my diecast cars that I keep near my desk. Really bad on me for not checking if was secure. I managed to wipe off a good bunch of it as it happen but the damage was done. 

I've been looking searching around for tips and products that work. Has anyone come across any effective product or techniques? If you have before & after photos, please post!

This is what I use for mine; I just refinished a canopy for my F-14 Tomcat:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Ultra-Fine-Waterproof-Finishing-Kit/p/917

If you use these with water to speed the cutting action in order of coarsest to finest, this should return your diecast car's windshield to crystal-clear.  After use, just buff with a cotton cloth and that should do it!

• 8 months later...

Hi MWers - I wrote some time ago about good adhesives for Tomytec pre-painted kits. I recently have acquired some Bandai HG kits that I will likely build as "non-paint". The linked video seems to be helpful but I wonder if there are any other methods out there. Here's the link on what a cursory search gives me:

https://hobbylink.tv/paintless-gunpla-for-busy-people/

With Many Thanks - WS

8 hours ago, wsna said:

Hi MWers - I wrote some time ago about good adhesives for Tomytec pre-painted kits. I recently have acquired some Bandai HG kits that I will likely build as "non-paint". The linked video seems to be helpful but I wonder if there are any other methods out there. Here's the link on what a cursory search gives me:

https://hobbylink.tv/paintless-gunpla-for-busy-people/

With Many Thanks - WS

Non paint with hg kits usually will leave some things discolored. Most rg kits are pretty good for the lazy. No seams on them and colored parts are already in the right spots. But the hg kits are getting better and better for less and less work.

I was recently building the psycho doga hg kit and was surprised that the rifle had no seam lines. The only seam lines are on the lower legs, but those parts were leftover from the old hg geara doga kit.

One of the biggest issues with gundam kits in hg are that certain parts are not molded in the right colors, but if you don’t feel like going all out, there are often gundam markers in common gundam colors to fill in those spots.

As far as seam filling, you can try the sprue goo method to make your own glue/ putty that will be extremely close to the plastic color since you’re using the actual plastic to fill the gap. It can end up slightly lighter than the base color, but may not be noticeable at all. Just gotta have a few sanding tools, an empty clean small jar and some type of clear cement or something to dissolve plastic from the runners.

Nub marks can be an issue as well. To avoid miscoloring the plastic, make sure not to cut too close right away. Then you can sand or file the nub away after. With more practice you can learn how to cut closer to give even less of a nub to clean up. Glass files are pretty good for removing the nubs smoothly without damaging the surrounding plastic and are really inexpensive 

as far as the panel lining in the article above, they do make pour type panel lining markers now as well that are easy to use. There are other methods like oil pin washes or acrylics, but may need a clear topcoat before use.

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow MWers,

Who makes custom decals these days? I will be working on a s set of models and would like to change the tail insignia. It's for a 1/144 models. A long while back , I got some other customs from JBOT some years ago but the guy at this point is in retirement. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, Tamiya thin cement worked nicely for some 1/144 pre-painted Cafereo models that have and will look forward soon to working on some of my Tomytecs.