One more quick display question: Detolf Glass Door Curio?

Gakken85

I don't have friends who grab my stuff without asking. haha

I don't expect other so either and then the great "Father in Law Incident" happened. Guess who's side the wife was on while you're at it?

I don't expect other so either and then the great "Father in Law Incident" happened. Guess who's side the wife was on while you're at it?

What happened?

He bumped into my display shelf and sent them flying. It looked like that scene in SDFM where the barrier system overloaded, everything flying every which a way and then plummeting into the floor. I yelled mother "fracker" as it happened and the wife got all defensive. It was a stupid day.

Kicker has the right idea. Lock them up in the showcases and then lock the room and then deny it even exists.

He bumped into my display shelf and sent them flying. It looked like that scene in SDFM where the barrier system overloaded, everything flying every which a way and then plummeting into the floor. I yelled mother "fracker" as it happened and the wife got all defensive. It was a stupid day.

Kicker has the right idea. Lock them up in the showcases and then lock the room and then deny it even exists.

Who bumps into a giant glass display shelf? Sheesh. haha

wow, this is a detolf case? Anything fall over and break? I just ordered the chrome no drill lock so no one can open to it.

No it wasn't. It was open front but if it was an unlocked Detolf it would've popped open with the same results. Putting a lock on it would prevent the door from opening and thus preventing a long fall to the floor.

• 3 weeks later...

What kind of lights do you guys use for these?

I installed these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-White-LED-Puck-Lighting-Kit-21343KIT/202866296#.UXTHSrWG0Zk

The Ikea I bought my Detolfs at had some similar puck lights on display next to the Detolfs, but they were fluorescent bulbs. Ikea also sells LED lights as well. The main reason why I used the set from Home Depot was because after I bought my Detolfs and brought them to assemble, I realized I forgot to buy lights. Rather than drive all the way back to Ikea, I went to the local Home Depot which is only a five minute drive away from me.

One good thing about the set I bought is that the lights are dimmable.

BTW, how do you mount those lights? Do they have sticky stuff or something?

I think the Ikea lights come with both mounting screws and adhesives. The Home Depot lights I used could be mounted with adhesives, I suppose. But honestly, it's not that hard to screw them in, and you'll get much better results. You just need a drill to make the pilot holes, and it comes with the hardware you need. I'd rather do it that way then use adhesives, as it's neater and you don't have to worry about lights falling onto your very expensive toys.

You could buy adapters at hardware stores that slide on the glass and would bridge the gap better.

You still can't beat a 70$ Detolf.

What kind of adapters?

Yea my first detolf side glass Bowed outwards after a couple of years so I dissassambled it and turned the glass around it pretty much fixed that issue.

Not a bad idea, except that sticky metal piece where you screw the door would cause issues.

Since I just bought it I'll try to get a new one. :D

• 1 year later...

I was hoping to find some clear vinyl glass sweeps (like the kind they use in glass shower stall installations, but I have yet to find one that fits such a thin glass as our Detolfs)

https://www.google.com/search?q=glass+vinyl+sweep&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IZwYVZ6uBpKayATBs4HwBQ&ved=0CCMQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=668

I was hoping to find some clear vinyl glass sweeps (like the kind they use in glass shower stall installations, but I have yet to find one that fits such a thin glass as our Detolfs)

https://www.google.com/search?q=glass+vinyl+sweep&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IZwYVZ6uBpKayATBs4HwBQ&ved=0CCMQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=668

Interesting..That is actually a good idea. Might have to check out Home Depot or hardware store to see they have something for thinner glasses.

Interesting..That is actually a good idea. Might have to check out Home Depot or hardware store to see they have something for thinner glasses.

If you find something that will work, let me know!

• 4 months later...

Yes that is the weatherstrip foam tape I used on all 4 of my detolfs dapro, it works pretty good on sealing the gaps between the glass around the swing open door. I followed a video on youtube posted by a collector on how he did it.

Cool, got picture or the video on it? Only thing I am worry about is, if I messup...how hard to remove it.

Detolfs are great for the price. I bought 4 at once and like others have said they are heavy and not very easy to handle. I didn't have a hand truck to move them up to my apartment, so I improvised by using my largest rolling luggage to get the up to my apartment. :lol:

As for dust, it does get into them I basically dust them once a month.

For lighting it i just went with the dioder led kits that Ikea sells and I think it turned out well. I also drilled a hole at the base so I could run all of the wires through the bottom rather than the top to keep everything nice and tidy.

Edited by Saburo

I thought I was buying better when I chose the Ikea Klingsbo over the Detolf but they are just as bad if not worse! I have half a dozen and aside them being twice the price half of them don't even like up and fit together correctly.. very shonky and inconsistent welding points for the shelves and frame slots..

The doors simply don't line up or fit up square with the main vertical frames and you can forget about any type of dust prevention.. they let so much dust in that I may as well have my Valks displayed outside!

But as expensive as they are, they are still cheap for what they are! wow that was sure tongue twisting! Speaking of twisting.. half of my cabinets came together similar to this building! im deadly serious!

2083951673.png

Edited by spanner76