VF-1 Size and scale up for debate

infosys_ms

The cockpit canopy size and shape was also covered in depth, much pain and suffering involved in trying to make it in scale and accurate to original line art. It was just not possible to make line art, anime, and small scale, large scale models all match up due to many real life factors.

But from the recent Q&A session at the Osaka Macross Museum, Kawamori stated that the reason he made the VF-1 so small, is to make it different from a Gundam.

Well, that pretty much trumps all.

Actually, I've seen a cutaway of the Falcon. I don't think a lot of people actually realize how big that thing was supposed to be to begin with. ^_^ Yes, it technically was a freighter, but seeing as how the common cargo it was carrying was something that had to be hidden anyway, the Falcon was just about the Star Wars Equivalent of a minivan with a stash of cocaine in the tires. I think the entire living area we saw was actually where the cargo would normally be stowed. To build the full sized exterior would have probably broken Lucasfilm at that point.

Anyway though, I honestly don't see why anything is even being debated for this. Kawamori knows what he's doing, and pretty much covered all the bases. The entire point of the advanced technology in Macross was that you could cram all the fancy machinery required for a mech into the frame of an aircraft, and have no one actually be able to tell from the outside.

So, bottom line.. it's magic. The plane is exactly the size it has always said it is (which is a fairly standard size for a small fighter), and everything works because the plot says it did. :lol: Just because the animators weren't able to convey that scale correctly doesn't mean the plane has to be a different size.

• 5 months later...

Hello All,

I have not been posting or working on my model much because I have a new addiction and its initials are KSP.

I will pick on the model again someday. Anyways I cam across this fan film and it is just awesome! The 3D veritech is more awesome! I had a notion to build out the internals like in the video, but I am just a team of 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlvPR9XeZik

enjoy! check out my blog for updates and other stuff!