While the Toynami Alpha overall sculpt is quite accurate, the fit, finish, quality and materials all leave a great deal to be desired. I really get the feeling it was designed from a hand-made sculpt and no CAD was used, hence the poor parts fit, as likely all the left and right parts are not quite identical or symmetrical.

I'm in a mood for an Alpha toy recently, but don't wanna go back to Toynami. I thought I might still have an old green Toynami left, but couldn't find it, so I guess all my old busted Toynami Alphas got thrown away.

I've been watching and reading all the CM's Legioss/Tread reviews online over the last few days and really trying to bring myself to like it, but the inaccurate sculpt of the Legioss and the total lack of locking in plane mode are a total deal-breaker for me. I did really wanna like it, but I just can't get past the lack of locking. I'm a fighter mode guy damn it, and need my planes to lock together well, so they can be zoomed around.

Gonna have to talk to Yamato and see if any chance they would pick up the licence and finally make us the decent Legioss we all need.

Graham

If Macross and Mospeada are said to be a small niche, then I don't see why Yamato would choose not to make Mospeada. Being that the cartoons and toys back in the 80s where put out side-by-side. This would be a great opportunity for Yamato to take on the challenge where other companies failed to make a proper toon and line art accurate scaled model.

As much as it pains some of us to bring up the name Robotech, if they manage to come out with some new material based on Mospeada designs might that start things up again for some toy companies?But bottom line is I think we all wish we could get a line of Legioss and Treads with Yamato Valk V2 quality and detail --

I think Yamato need to continue where Beagal left off too. That rook looks frakkin bad-ass. I hope to see Lancer too!!

Found a Green CM's for just under US$100, wondering if I should take a chance. The Green has always been my favorite head site and color for the Alpha.

Yeah, I saw that on eBay but I'm gonna pass considering all the reviews I've seen and read. The head doesn't turn on the CMs is quite disturbing!! Lets hope for Yamato to continue with the franchise

Strange, as Anime Export list a re-release version, which shows a pic of the big gun. Want to find out if legit or not. But anyway, it's on back-order status.

See: http://www.anime-exp...om/product/5010

Graham

I think that"s the version with improved parts but the improved parts were in a second box sold with a reissue of the eta. Those are all the promo pics from when the improved parts version originally came out.

EDIT - that is to say: those promo pics show the improved parts installed and the gun, but you get those in a box and you have to install them onto the toy. The Eta toy itself is an exact reissue of the first release, upgrade parts are in their own separate box.

Edited by jenius

Questions:

1. Was there a re-release of the CM's Legioss/Tread, that had the improved parts already installed?
  2. If the answer to Q1 is yes, did the re-release have a different box? Or how to tell the 1st and 2nd versions apart? from the box?

Graham

1. No. The additional parts were in a separate small blister pack in a brown box. Only included with the Eta (blue) release.

Well, that's how mine are and I've never seen/heard different. :)

EDIT: Yeah, what the boy jenius said.

Edited by Tober

Thanks guys. So after reading/watching Jenius and Veef's reviews it looks like getting the Blue with the upgrade set is the way to go, as I do want a better connection bettween the Legioss and Tread in fighter mode.

Shame the Green was not sold with the upgrade set, as I've always prefered the green.

Graham

^^Don't forget, Graham, even with an improved connection, the tailfins on the Legioss are still gonna stick out a bit in combined fighter mode, and the yellow array on the Tread will still stick up and not sit down flush.

Do you have a link to his tread??

After doing a little searching, it looks like it was a different person.

Credit, though, goes to our resident Tread-Head, wwwmwww, for originally posting this many moons ago (Link).

More pics from original site.

Remember, this was a scratch-build made prior to the Toynami Beta being released (maybe even before the CMs version was announced).

Looking at it now, it's surprisingly "boxier" than the Toynami in bomber mode. And the chest looks a just a smidge smaller than the two toy versions.

But considering it's a scratch-build, it's still pretty damn impressive. And if the Tread/Beta ever came with a big maama-jamma Gatling gun like that, I'd cry tears of joy! :lol:

Edited by Mog

If Yamato decided to do this line, and the scale is the same, I'm dumping my Toynamis in a heartbeat. We'd get a more accurate toy, better landing gear, parts that lock into place, and diecast in the right places. Then imagine the Tread after? Man, I can drool just thinking about that.

No thanks. Yamato would charge 600 dollars for it. Make the Beta an online shop exclusive and in a few months the shoulder would crack and explode! And all that while trying to figure where to store the gargantuan box

Questions:
  1. Was there a re-release of the CM's Legioss/Tread, that had the improved parts already installed?
  2. If the answer to Q1 is yes, did the re-release have a different box? Or how to tell the 1st and 2nd versions apart? from the box?

Graham

To comfirm the question. Yes. I just purchased it on ebay for 70 Aussi dollars mate. Comes with extra missle packs, a big huge honking plasma gun and the piece to hold the two together.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220933260518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Well, found a Blue CM's with the upgrade parts set on ebay HK, so decided to take a risk and buy it. Graham

Missed that one

Yeah I have the Toynami one. Solid and dangerously breakable. I heard good things about the CMs

Yui Yuasa

Wave 1/72 Non-Transformable Battroid-mode VF/A -6 (ητα /H) for C.A.G. leader , VERITECH Alpha Fighter / Attacker " LEGIOSS " !

824a03efca85d986.jpg

ada074be853da7f9.jpg

0da1608fa8883c9f.jpg

Softbank Creative Publishing; Variable-Fighter/Attacker VF/A-6 the middle period Variants H/I/Z "LEGIOSS", VERITECH Alpha -systems.

Edited by yui1107

So from everything I've gathered it comes down to this...

Toynami/Aoshima- good toy brought down by poor construction/quality control and poor choice of material for hands. Looks great.

CMs- creative license with design, lacks posibility in areas, poor tread connection. Unpainted metal parts. Great duribility.

Wave- model kit, non transformable, unpainted. Looks great in the hands of an expert modeller.

Gakken- great toy, durable except for attenae, old, hard to find, and expensive.

My question is with all the master modellers here why hasn't anyone opened up shop tuning the toynami's, fixing the bad construction and creating replacement hands? I'm willing to bet a killing could be made.

So from everything I've gathered it comes down to this...

Toynami/Aoshima- good toy brought down by poor construction/quality control and poor choice of material for hands. Looks great.

Well, in fighter mode, the Toynami/Aoshima also suffers from an upwards pointing nose, AKA broke-back syndrome. Also, there is no clearance for the belly of the plane with the landing gears out and lastly, the parts fitting is quite poor.

Graham

I disagree. The upward bend is from the arm being misproportioned to the rest of the fighter or the tab for the arms are misplaced. The more you try to close the gaps in the arms the more the rest of the plane bows. Most of the problems with the toy is the arms. The heavy die-cast in the forearms keeps it from being posed well. The hand crumbles. The missile bay doors break. The fins break. And it's all held in place to the body by nothing but the walls of the shoulder piece. It's not even thickened for reinforcement. For the rest of the body, the cheap materials are not really in any danger from stress points. The only complaint is that they didn't put good poseable joints at the hip joint. They were just relying on the fact that it hinged sideways for transformation but it barely helps for dynamic poses. If they would have just done the arms correctly, gave it better hip joints, get rid of the unnecessary die-cast, improve the materials and finally, allow buyers to customize it by using screws, it would have been a decent toy. With, the solid Beta, it would have been a killer combo and a great center piece to any collection.

This Custom Tread project was freaking awesome to look through - thanks for the link...

Oh - by the way mods - should we just make this the official Mospeada Thread now? Tweaking the title a bit or something?

We're even getting the Wave Legioss kits pics posted in here...

post-8486-0-77772900-1327938996_thumb.jpg

Curious to know what you think of the lack of locking parts in jet mode. While I would prefer tabs and locks, it's never bothered me on the Legioss because the parts on mine are all tight enough where nothing really moves out of place when I swoosh it around.

All things considered, I'm content with the CMs set. I would, however, absolutely love to see what Yamato could do with the license and I have no doubt theirs would be the best. I would buy one in an instant.

Edited by eriku

OMG, this one is cool. And lurking right here in MW...

gallery_7534_410_84952.jpeg

gallery_7534_410_128873.jpeg

Man, that thing is so [comparatively] tiny, though! Looks like it'd be about as small as a Cessna? I always imagined they'd be bigger in 1:1; Valkyries too, for that matter.

ed: so as to not stray off subject - It would seem it can be best summed up with: Toynami/Aoshima ver seems to be the better looking; but suffers from shoddy quality and "broke back" syndrome. CMs ver from anectdotal evidence seems to have better quality, but just doesn't look quite as "right," and is apparently very pricey?

maybe it'd be better to try to get an old Imai or Aoshima reissue model and have it kitbashed? It would seem they aren't any worse than the Toynami's for fragility? With some custom, larger wings, they'd be just about perfect, as "old tech" models go.

Edited by reddsun1

Excuse me if this is an off topic question, but I’d like somebody to tell me what the Legioss’ intakes are for; I mean, where does the air that goes through it end up? And I don’t mean in robot mode, for it’s pretty obvious the answer is nowhere; I mean in fighter mode.