That said, I love my CMs. It may not connect perfectly and it may take some liberties with design, but at least it doesn't look and feel like it was assembled by an angry chimpanzee.

Not saying they don't have their flaws (especially given the razor-thin tolerances inherent in their design). But sometimes those angry chimps do just enough to make those Toynami's look good:

gallery_3595_265_54558.jpg

Granted, this is like saying a broken watch always tells the correct time twice a day.

But if you luck out on the Alpha Russian roulette, get one that has minimal flaws, and are willing to take the time to pose it, the Toynami Alpha can still make one hell of a display piece.

I'll chime in here....I have the blue, red and green Alphas from Toynami and the Blue Beta. I display them only. As stated above...the Alpha+Beta is impressive as a display peice. I stickered (the ONE thing Toynami did get right is the quality of the stickers...very good) and panel lined them all and they do look good in all modes IMHO. I have transformed my Beta many times--no problems there--legs are a little loose, but no biggy. The Blue alpha's hands have crumbled, shoulder missle launcher door is busted, and it's floppy in Battroid, but I still think I got a fairly "good" one. However..I leave it in fighter mode with the Beta. As for my Red and Green guys--I have transformed them once. Carefully. I just look at them...but then again...I just really look at my Beagle's and Yamato's as well.... ^_^

Someday I'll have to track down a red and green Beta for cheap...

Edited by derex3592

While the Toynami Alpha overall sculpt is quite accurate, the fit, finish, quality and materials all leave a great deal to be desired. I really get the feeling it was designed from a hand-made sculpt and no CAD was used, hence the poor parts fit, as likely all the left and right parts are not quite identical or symmetrical.

I'm in a mood for an Alpha toy recently, but don't wanna go back to Toynami. I thought I might still have an old green Toynami left, but couldn't find it, so I guess all my old busted Toynami Alphas got thrown away.

I've been watching and reading all the CM's Legioss/Tread reviews online over the last few days and really trying to bring myself to like it, but the inaccurate sculpt of the Legioss and the total lack of locking in plane mode are a total deal-breaker for me. I did really wanna like it, but I just can't get past the lack of locking. I'm a fighter mode guy damn it, and need my planes to lock together well, so they can be zoomed around.

Gonna have to talk to Yamato and see if any chance they would pick up the licence and finally make us the decent Legioss we all need.

Graham

Gonna have to talk to Yamato and see if any chance they would pick up the licence and finally make us the decent Legioss we all need.

Graham

If all goes well, please have Yamato think of the connection between the Tled and Legioss. Otherwise we'll just end up with another subpar connecting set of mecha.

Good Luck.

Graham, if your able to talk with Yamato about making the Legioss & Tread one of these days, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'll add my suggestion, redesign the toys with far superior Landing Gear!! The Toynami version was horrid, especially the rear section.

Edited by 505thAirborne

As much as it pains some of us to bring up the name Robotech, if they manage to come out with some new material based on Mospeada designs might that start things up again for some toy companies?

Who knows - maybe Tobey Maguire is going to play Rey instead of Hikaru!

But bottom line is I think we all wish we could get a line of Legioss and Treads with Yamato Valk V2 quality and detail --

Make it so Graham!

Graham

If you're still able to garner their attention to such a positive degree, then please--by all means, please do try to talk them into a 1/18 scale non-TF VF-4 fighter...successful sales would almost certainly justify following up with a 1/18 non-TF VF-1.

use the hypnotoad! have Obi Wan use the force on them! put the baby bird on webcam and tell them "boobs or I'll do it"! anything!

(I want a 1/18 Valkyrie, dammit...)

http://nosutaru.joun...%20regiosu.html

just commission this guy to make you a Regiosu

ah--makes me miss my old GoBots "Leader-1" model. Even as a kid, I knew: this is no GoBot, and just had to have it. I tried to build mine up like the Zeta ver, but it didn't look anywhere near as good as that one...

ed: the Imai/Monogram models are still the absolute best-looking in battroid mode.

Edited by reddsun1

http://nosutaru.joun...%20regiosu.html

just commission this guy to make you a Regiosu

Yeah. . . .that's pretty freakin' awesome.

Is this the same dude that did a transformable Red Tread a few years back?

Just a general comment about all these Legioss/Alpha toys: the Legioss really needs ratchet joints at the shoulders though. You rarely see it posed with its arms extended straight out, parallel to the ground.

Did the Aoshima version fix the hand crumbling problem? So if we wanted to fix our Toyami's that might be a direct swap?

Sounds expensive just for some hands though.

I heard someone mention the Alpha super-posables hands, but they would not collapse back down to go back to fighter mode...

Yeah. . . .that's pretty freakin' awesome.

Is this the same dude that did a transformable Red Tread a few years back?

Just a general comment about all these Legioss/Alpha toys: the Legioss really needs ratchet joints at the shoulders though. You rarely see it posed with its arms extended straight out, parallel to the ground.

Do you have a link to his tread??

Too bad the CM's beta can launch more missiles...

Oh yes Toynami's can! With the power of photoshop!

post-8486-0-15401300-1327678634_thumb.jpg

Did the Aoshima version fix the hand crumbling problem? So if we wanted to fix our Toyami's that might be a direct swap?

Sounds expensive just for some hands though.

i got the Aoshimas blue, green and red and none of their hands have crumbled so far. The only problem I've had with one of them is that I stressed the wrist on my green legioss while posing it and it got totally loose. I was able to fix it when I dismantled the toy by putting a piece of silicon on the hand's swivel. I also changed the shoulder gummy friction pieces for some durable and stiff ones, glued it back together and painted it with military green to match my toynami Tread. There's a slight color mismatch though but they still look good together and the Legioss feels like a much better toy

Edited by Frogze

If Yamato decided to do this line, and the scale is the same, I'm dumping my Toynamis in a heartbeat. We'd get a more accurate toy, better landing gear, parts that lock into place, and diecast in the right places. Then imagine the Tread after? Man, I can drool just thinking about that.