I had the Blue and Green and Toynami Alpha toys, bought when they were first released.

Parts fit was bad, finish could have been better and both ended up braking in various places. I eventually threw both of them away in disgust. Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy. Do not recommend.

No experience with a CM's may try to track one down.

Graham

The CM's is disappointing too. I got an Aoshima Zeta(red?) and was extremely disappointed. A lemon. If the Toynami Robotech MPC is better it's only because of marginal higher quality but even so, the design is FLAWED to begin with. Though the MPC VF-1 is basically a warped copy of the HCM with influence from the Imai 1/72 kits, it is a better toy than the Toynami Alpha. The only thing the Alpha has going for it is sculpt, the design decisions behind it are very very questionable.

If you get a CM's, track down Stiq's blue version WITH the gatling cannon and new fixed-pose hands. The standard articulated hands are disappointing and don't hold the gun worth a damn when posing. Mine would CONSTANTLY fall out. Frustrating.

Other than the hands, which were a borderline dealbreaker for me, the CM's release is just decent. Also the gatling cannon reissue(EX?) also has a better connection with the Tread. The 1st releases had a laughable combination connection.

One of our members was recently selling all three CM's kits with upgrade kits he had gotten for less than $200 a pop... I forget the exact price. I imagine he got three sets of upgrade kits by buying three blue legioss sets and selling two extras without their upgrade parts (since the upgrade parts come in a separate box).

As someone who's had about 24 Toynami/Aoshima alpha/legioss pass throug my possession, and I have had small issues to large issues with EVERY SINGLE ONE. After a few of them that were pretty much scrap-worthy, I was able to frankenstein some good ones together. I think most of the issues have been mentioned with them, from parts being over-glued, under-glued, shoddy, broken landing gear that doesn't clear the lowest part of the chest/belly, to the infamous crumbling hands. I recommend you stay away from those.

As for the CM's corp. Brave Chogokin, they are made to play with. They can get loose after awhile, but they are a fun toy to have around. I've had 4 of them, but now only have 2, and I really like the fact that they made the drone version. The CM's Tread isn't in scale with the Legioss, and it has the artistic interpretation, but it's an easy toy to play with, and I don't have any issues with it. If you have to choose between them, I'd suggest the CM's packages.

I had a Toynami Alpha. It was seriously one of the worst transforming toys I've ever had the displeasure of owning, and I've had those cheap plastic 1/55 knockoffs before. They were better made and used better materials. And I'm being serious.

You'd have to pay me for me to own one again.

Edited by Vostok 7

It really all depends on what your preferences and priorities are.

Are you looking for something to play with often or more of a display piece? Which mode will you usually keep the Alpha/Legioss in? Are you gonna pose it by itself, or will you be displaying it with its Beta/Tread buddy?

If a sweet-looking Alpha-Beta combo is the most important thing to you, then you'll probably want to go with the Toynami version.

If you want a Alpha/Legioss that you can pose without worrying about floppy joints, then you should go with the CMs.

If you want an Alpha that's a little more "boxy"-looking but can mesh well with your Macross Valks, then go with the Toynami. If you prefer an Alpha/Legioss that's more stylized in its look, then go with the CMs.

Again, it all depends on your personal preferences.

Me? I'm very big on the Alpha-Beta combo. So despite a few flaws here and there on my own Alphas, I tend to still prefer the Toynami ones. Out of the five I own, only one has the upward tilting nose issue (and thankfully, neither of the blue ones has that issue). I also would have preferred ratchet joints in certain areas of the Alpha.

But nothing beats the awesome look of Toynami's Alpha-Beta fighter combo.

The more I watched the video reviews and reading the pros and cons, I come to a better understanding that both seems to have their goods and bad. I don't think price is the issue because I just want the most definitive one that is best all around. Initially, I thought the Toynami was good but it seems the Beta was its strong point and its scale. Again, I don't have any in person either so my decision is purely on the video reviews and Anymoon's reviews and of course MW members that have comment in this thread.

Overall, I'm leaning mor towards the CMs and I will take it from there. Either way, these the the next best thing in the Robotech/Mospeada toy adapation we will get. I'm hoping that one day Yamato will pick up this franchise like they did with Macross

yeah, i got the TOYNAMI SCOTT (Blue) back in 2004 at a comic shop for $60.

there was also an MPC VF-1J MAX at the same price, and i serously reget not getting that instead.

let's just say that my LEGIOSS suffered just about every issue mentioned in this thread.

i managed to "Fix" most issues as best i could, but the thing is nevertheless an elegant looking, spot-on design,

fatally flawed by piss-poor engeneering and manufacturing QC that renders the thing nothing more than a fragile desk-top model.

NOT RECOMMENDED, unless you want a fancy-looking static model that's best put in whatever mode you like best, and left that way permanently...

My Toynami blue alpha's hands just did the 'crumbling' thing.

I hardly ever messed with it. Will Toynami replace the hands? or do I have to buy another one and swap them? (then watch those crumble too)

Really love the sculpt, except for the overly large clown feet.

Designed well, just needed the Gakken materials and hinges / joints.

It is a pre-assembled model kit 100%.

I would LOVE Yamato to pick up the line as mentioned before, but I would then have to wait through 1/48th V1, then the larger 1/35th with its flaws, then eventually go all in for the improved Legioss 1/48th V2 line. What would that be - like 5 years from now? (really never, as we have yet to even see the destroid phalanx)

The Toynami Beta is nice - but the hip joints are crap. Not sure what they were thinking there. Needed a chest cover for the sunny-side up egg eyes -- and they left out crucial missile pods on the top shoulders.

But true what has been said of the combined fighters - awesome...

post-8486-0-65728300-1326921123_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-89808500-1326921135_thumb.jpg

They need to make a Maia Beta Fighter. As much as I thought shadow chronicles was cruddy, I really liked the Maia color scheme, and the fact that it is the only toynami alpha fighter that has been deemed relatively safe will make the beta a win - win situation.

Eh, one can dream right?

I couldn't make a choice of getting one version over the other and since Mospeada gets so little toy coverage, exception made of the strange resurgence from a couple of years ago now. I just got every CM's and Aoshima I could grab, one of each color and the discounts they were offered at did make it all possible. Aoshima's are great for display in connected fighters while CM's are cool toys on their own. The upgraded CM's is both so this is the one to have for me.

My advice is to get them all if you love the show because I just can't see a good reason why another japanese toy company would lose more money on this license (RIP Beagle, Mospeada fans will love you forever) and these are just going to get scarcer as the MPCs will keep on disintegrating over the years.

Edited by Frogze

I would LOVE Yamato to pick up the line as mentioned before, but I would then have to wait through 1/48th V1, then the larger 1/35th with its flaws, then eventually go all in for the improved Legioss 1/48th V2 line. What would that be - like 5 years from now? (really never, as we have yet to even see the destroid phalanx)

I'd wait 10yrs if Yamato can make one in the same style and grade as with their current Macross line. Especially the version 2 1/60 :) I just have a hard time why they can't pick up Mospeada as there seems to be a good amount of fan demand.

I couldn't make a choice of getting one version over the other and since Mospeada gets so little toy coverage, exception made of the strange resurgence from a couple of years ago now. I just got every CM's and Aoshima I could grab, one of each color and the discounts they were offered at did make it all possible. Aoshima's are great for display in connected fighters while CM's are cool toys on their own. The upgraded CM's is both so this is the one to have for me.

My advice is to get them all if you love the show because I just can't see a good reason why another japanese toy company would lose more money on this license (RIP Beagle, Mospeada fans will love you forever) and these are just going to get scarcer as the MPCs will keep on disintegrating over the years.

I think I'll start with the CMs first. If I see a hughe discount on the Toynami then sure :) Edited by Agent-GHQ

Jeez! After reading this thread, I'm afraid to look at my Toynami Alpha's hands. I never had any major problems with it, but it hasn't been out of its package for a few years. Based on my experience, I would've recommended it. But based on reading this thread, I'm freakin paranoid now.

They need to make a Maia Beta Fighter. As much as I thought shadow chronicles was cruddy, I really liked the Maia color scheme, and the fact that it is the only toynami alpha fighter that has been deemed relatively safe will make the beta a win - win situation.

Eh, one can dream right?

I thought the maia alpha was the one that was so bad they actually recalled it only to reissue it just as crappy as before.

Wasn't toynami's sue graham shadow fighter version the only one that didn't have the hand problem? Mostly because the hands were claws, not actual hands?

Opposite I believe. The claws are OK. My blue one are the hands that just crumbled, after being in storage for years.

I took it out, carefully folded out the hands and they both fell apart...

That is the VF-1 toy's replacement hand, not an Alpha replacement hand. You can tell because that hand has the slider mechanism. Broken hands on the alpha are pretty much a lost cause. The best you can do is glue them into a fist OR replace them with the fixed-pose hands from a Toynami Alpha Super Poseable (but that would take some modding).

I thought the maia alpha was the one that was so bad they actually recalled it only to reissue it just as crappy as before.

You are correct sir! Still, I opened the reissue a few months ago and overall it was better than the 1st 4 Alphas, at least in terms of paint. No major paint smudges or excess glue. It still has all the design defects like the arched back in fighter mode. It also doesn't really hold its gun very well.

I hate the Toynami Alphas, but wow, after reading the review of the CMs Legioss & Tread I would never buy one for the following reasons:

• I'm all about nice looking fighter modes and it just looks awful in that mode.
  • Doesn't lock together well in fighter mode.
  • Piss poor conection between the Legioss and Tread.

I'd never really paid attention to the CMs Legioss before, but after reading the review, it is such an easy pass.

Oh well, hopefully one day Yamato may come to our rescue and finally give us all a decent Legioss.

Graham

I hate the Toynami Alphas, but wow, after reading the review of the CMs Legioss & Tread I would never buy one for the following reasons:

• I'm all about nice looking fighter modes and it just looks awful in that mode.
  • Doesn't lock together well in fighter mode.
  • Piss poor conection between the Legioss and Tread.

I'd never really paid attention to the CMs Legioss before, but after reading the review, it is such an easy pass.

Oh well, hopefully one day Yamato may come to our rescue and finally give us all a decent Legioss.

Graham

Yeah that was something that bothered me a lot too, the lack of good connection points in fighter mode. Very disappointed with that.

Graham

I wonder what is Yamato's thoughts are on the Mospeada line? I do see potential for them to pick up where CMs and Toynami left off. That Rook protoype from Beagle would put a smile on my face for years!!

The only toy I've ever owned that was worse than the Toynami Alpha/Legioss was the Aoshima Alpha/Legioss. Somehow Aoshima took an already terrible toy and made it worse. I've got a series of photos on one of the Mospeada threads here, but I don't feel like picking at a scab so i wont dig them up.

That said, I love my CMs. It may not connect perfectly and it may take some liberties with design, but at least it doesn't look and feel like it was assembled by an angry chimpanzee.