13 hours ago, mechaninac said:

I work designing plastic parts (housings and components) to be injection molded so seeing things like that cracked screw boss really tick me off; if ET can't be bothered to use better quality plastics, the least they should've done is rework the mold tool(s) to increase the thickness of the bosses so they don't crack under the strain of the screw intended to go in them... a minor 15% boost in beefiness would yield a failure incidence reduction of better than 50%, perhaps even eliminating it entirely, with minimal impact on the outer surface finish, specially with the base of the bosses being on the inside of the bottom facing surfaces in all 3 modes, making any sink marks negligible and locations hidden from view most of the time.

i get the feeling evolution is a bunch of designers  or artists (they get the looks mostly right) and leave actual engineering to the factories they contract to build their stuff.  these kinds of mistakes look like no mechanical design engineer had much input in the design or even redesign phase...maddening for us engineers.

1 hour ago, captain america said:

It's very possible that the slots were designed for that originally, and went unused from the factory. The Imai kit saddle-bags fit rather well without the rider on, but I wonder why they didn't take any pics with the rider on the bike?  I figured I'll restyle the boxes slightly and make them a bit more user-friendly.

I’m in for 2 sets guaranteed. :)

1 hour ago, Mechapilot77 said:

i get the feeling evolution is a bunch of designers  or artists (they get the looks mostly right) and leave actual engineering to the factories they contract to build their stuff.  these kinds of mistakes look like no mechanical design engineer had much input in the design or even redesign phase...maddening for us engineers.

That would sounds true of CMs also, their engineering was generally awful and ET seems like a similar group.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:15 AM, Mog said:

Second attempt on the visor (this time with Ray). 

DSC_0054.JPG.32945c8a5ce5c083582e810159e9cb94.JPG

Got the translucent look down now.  Hopefully, the third attempt will be using Tamiya clear green instead. ;)

DSC_0051.JPG.3162f7efd5a7c130a2dcd3c5505a0380.JPGDSC_0050.JPG.efe9a3b3d1685a0766f6d3be6bbc935c.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG.d5d54843f3e0b37ae0da23ce005c73f7.JPG

Until Yellow and Houquet get released, this will be the Stick and Ray combo display section.

DSC_0057.JPG.b3b0823f9f50bb08bd6053e3c1ba4b60.JPG

the visor paint...

so paint on the outside...

did you paint with clear then smoke?

brush or airbrush?

did you mask off the "visor clips" with tape first or just paint around it?

Also... will 90% isopropyl Alcohol work for cleaning off the paint or will this damage the visor?

Edited by Snake Eyes

I just painted it black. Be careful to use thinner paints, as it eats plastic. To remove the gray metallic paint I used ethyl alcohol, I did not try with isopropyl because it could affect the plastic. With Ray's, try a combination of Clear Blue and Clear smoke with an airbrush.

IMG_20180714_154634[1].jpg

IMG_20180716_190111[1].jpg

IMG_20180716_190215[1].jpg

IMG_20180716_190206[1].jpg

So HLJ just charged me for the ET Zeta Legioss. Their order page says its due for an August release, so maybe a second batch...

Hey Captain America, were you looking a doing smooth clear recasts of the Sentinel visors?

49 minutes ago, Tober said:

So HLJ just charged me for the ET Zeta Legioss. Their order page says its due for an August release, so maybe a second batch...

Hey Captain America, were you looking a doing smooth clear recasts of the Sentinel visors?

I'm working on accessories for the 1/12 Sentinel, but a clear visor is not among them. 

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/45610-the-official-moscato-hobby-models-thread/

15 minutes ago, captain america said:

I'm working on accessories for the 1/12 Sentinel, but a clear visor is not among them. 

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/45610-the-official-moscato-hobby-models-thread/

I already think that a recast of the visors  in clear resin would be great as an accessory in the kit, and it does not need more work than just making the molds. I would buy at least two to personalize them with different colors.

15 hours ago, Snake Eyes said:

the visor paint...

so paint on the outside...

did you paint with clear then smoke?

brush or airbrush?

did you mask off the "visor clips" with tape first or just paint around it?

Also... will 90% isopropyl Alcohol work for cleaning off the paint or will this damage the visor?

* As I've said in earlier posts, start with the Tamiya Smoke, then go with the Tamiya Clear Blue.

Make sure you're painting against a white background, as it'll help you judge just how dark the smoke is being applied.  If you're going to make a mistake, err on the side of applying not enough smoke.  If you still want to see the face behind the visor, you'll definitely want to go light with painting the Tamiya Smoke.

* Most folks here would recommend using an airbrush, rather than a standard paint brush.  If you must use a paint brush, I cannot stress enough how difficult the Tamiya clears are to brush paint with.  I've painted tons of custom figures over the years, and I still found the Tamiyas difficult as hell to work with.

* Regarding the visor clips, I'm assuming you mean the white bits on top of the visor, correct?  I tried my best to paint around and avoid them.  They're just too small to tape over.  After the Tamiya paints dried, I just went over those bits and touched them up with some white paint.

2 minutes ago, EmilianoAlfaro said:

original or personalized? :rolleyes:

I think "customized" is the word you're looking for.  ^_^

Still looks a little too dark to me, but much better than your earlier attempt.  B))

Yes, transparency is very subtle. I decided to make it a little darker so that the face is not easily seen. One of the things that bothered me (apart from the lines in the visor) is that when you posed the figure without the helmet, a loose helmet with a face inside was really ugly.

4 hours ago, jenius said:

So amiami says their delivery of ET red Legioss toys was destroyed and they're waiting on a restock. I have a bad feeling about this

They probably fell apart in their respective boxes. 

7 hours ago, jenius said:

So amiami says their delivery of ET red Legioss toys was destroyed and they're waiting on a restock. I have a bad feeling about this.

Forgot to post in this thread. Just wanted to let you know guys that AmiAmi sent my ET Legioss Zeta 17th July. They provided me with a registration number to track the package, and as I type this it's en route to Argentina, South America.

So I guess some of them survived the darn Inbits :lol:

ET Zeta in da house!  ^_^

ET-Zeta-fighter.thumb.jpg.65bff38c3068942cd6069849e26704d5.jpg

First impressions, out of the box: It's the Evolution Toy Eta, only in red.

ET-Zeta-engines.thumb.jpg.455d67b51861a121ecc592c280f724f9.jpg

The good news is, it's no worse than the Eta...

ET-Zeta-Diver.thumb.jpg.a2a0d9071329427e09d67a63f37c6f1e.jpg

The bad news is, it's no better.

ET-Zeta-pilot.thumb.jpg.478a92f097594940182972458fb3bd2f.jpg

The Houquet pilot figure looks terrific.  :good:

ET-Zeta-Soldier.thumb.jpg.f761e20b994314cb398af3720d4321c1.jpg

Like the Eta before it, it's hands-down the finest-looking Legioss toy ever produced...  :wub:

ET-Zeta-Soldier-back.thumb.jpg.92f1a86360591d7703fb2dcc6a27e19c.jpg

...and, like the Eta before it, it's unjustifiably expensive for its relatively poor manufacturing quality.  :nea:

ET-Zeta-Soldier-posed.thumb.jpg.e7d5cf8ff326b213c969f33514ef6b95.jpg

It shares all the advantages of the Eta, including the ideal proportions and superior articulation, as well as all the disadvantages we've come to expect from Evolution Toy...

...which is to say, it looks like a dream and handles like a nightmare.  <_<

If you have the earlier ET Legioss release, you know what to expect; there are no unpleasant surprises here.  Minor cosmetic changes aside, it's basically the same figure.  

ET-Legiosses.thumb.jpg.57ffdcebfbddb30f6b1e2081c5e05ed0.jpg

Apart from the badly-needed (and much-appreciated) addition of a sliding mechanism for the shoulder-mounted sensor array, this Evolution Toy has not evolved.  :unknw:

7 minutes ago, Snake Eyes said:

Thats awesome!

What did he use as a base?

Not sure, I assume it's an original putty sculpt, except maybe the face. It seems he is also working on a Mint (Annie) figure to go with it.

I really want to want to want these, but I just can't get over the "cheap" look of the colored plastic, especially for the price. Say what you will about the Masterpiece Toynami's, yes they were crapptastic, but at least the plastic was a darker hue and better looking in my opinion.  

4 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Say what you will about the Masterpiece Toynami's, yes they were crapptastic, but at least the plastic was a darker hue and better looking in my opinion.  

Dare to compare!  ^_^

Zetas.thumb.jpg.4f8f196bd199b55492d0ab217ae6e253.jpg

They both nailed the anime color.  The reds are almost identical!

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Dare to compare!  ^_^

Zetas.thumb.jpg.4f8f196bd199b55492d0ab217ae6e253.jpg

They both nailed the anime color.  The reds are almost identical!

I know a lot of people like the ET sculpt, but to me it always looked a bit stretched and elongated looking.  In my mind, it needs to look a bit wider and bulkier.  Having it next to the Toynami Alpha really makes this apparent.