On 8/18/2017 at 1:59 AM, jenius said:

thanks for the review Tekering, being a non modeler I'm always curious about the models. 

Curiosity has motivated many of my model purchases of late...

robotech_models.thumb.jpg.f1565348dc4b841d14c4d672d2f1e747.jpg

It's precisely because sites like yours and CollectionDX don't cover models -- and because Japanese modelers always post such tiny pictures! -- that I felt a need to provide this information online.  Some of these kits are easy, and some are difficult; some are surprisingly accurate, while others aren't; some are almost up to modern standards, while others are crap even by archaic '80s standards.  I figure fans oughta know which-is-which.

If there are any details in these reviews I haven't covered, feel free to ask.  ^_^

Next up:

false_advertising.thumb.jpg.cb287fef01f5245a871dd25759b2e4dd.jpg

Imai's 1:15 VR-038L "Bartley" kit has some misleading artwork on the package, representing Houquet (NOT "Fuke") wielding her distinctive cannon in a dynamic action pose the figure is totally incapable of achieving, with a smaller image of the bike mode the figure is also totally incapable of achieving.  <_<

Since 1:15 is the scale the MegaHouse figures employed, I figured she could fit right in with the boys...

missing.thumb.jpg.e6db922b4412192a425b1a49baf7182f.jpg

...since MegaHouse neglected to include a Bartley figure in their "Variable Action" line.  :(

So what's in the box?

59998285145de_75parts.thumb.jpg.a932e7dd451b5828fbb36ef1a1cb12db.jpg

About 75 parts total, which is less than half the parts count of Imai's 1:12 scale kits.  Since this kit is considerably smaller and is fixed-form, it's much easier to put together; the initial rough assembly you see here only took a couple of hours.

articulate.thumb.jpg.c9d75fc52203f88bd56a56c2911f4152.jpg

The figure is articulated about as well as could be expected for its age, but badly needs elbow, knee, and thigh rotation...

feminine.thumb.jpg.941e52beea2ae1b33ec9203266de9bef.jpg

Nonetheless, even the stock figure is capable of some fairly feminine poses, thanks to its lightweight construction (and a great deal of patience!).  ;)

Unfortunately, the proportions are considerably less feminine.

phat.thumb.jpg.61d00f92fdf9201976083ad9ade2d80c.jpg

One detail came as a real surprise, however:

treads.thumb.jpg.9ce84b0ac9de5221c37f1b429cc60c37.jpg

The front and back tires have distinctly different tread patterns!  I've never seen that on any other Mospeada toy or model kit.

Anyway, how does she look with the MegaHouse boys?

too_tall.thumb.jpg.64204123beb73688de4cdca03be441f4.jpg

Pretty damned awful, I'm sorry to say.  :vava:

She's too tall, too fat, and too masculine -- almost as if it were Jim wearing Houquet's ride armor -- and it's gonna take a lot of customization to make her look like the lithe teenager she's supposed to be.

Oh, and while Imai saw fit to include her targeting scope, they clearly forgot something:

fail.thumb.jpg.b2ff85f5eb1bba9470e22d280fe61d08.jpg

There's no weapon included in the kit!  :angry:

Fail, Imai.  FAIL.

I had that Imai kit many years ago and the Beam Cannon not being included was a total bummer. 

Add some ball joints and a good paint job and this kit should look pretty damn sweet! 

Edited by 505thAirborne

I've always been interested in building the ATAC and the Flash Clapper.

Not many good toy options for Southern cross out there...

Edited by arbit

On 8/14/2017 at 0:03 AM, SuperHobo said:

Usually when Goodsmile posts one of the art cards on the wall of future releases a physical prototype reveal can take quite a while and I would probably expect to finally see something during winter wonderfest of next year. 

Ouch that long? I never really followed figma figures. I think I only have the one Tachikoma.

On 8/17/2017 at 7:45 AM, tekering said:

Oh, we've known about Stig for years... Tatsunoko was actually really into European names back then.  Look at the cast of Southern Cross, for example:

Jeanne Fránçaix, Louis Ducasse, Claude Leon, Marie Angel, Charles de l'etoile (French)

Lana Isavia (Scandinavian)

Seifriet Weiße (German)

Andrzej Sławski (Polish)

The only American name among the principals is Bowie Emerson... and he's named after a knife.  :p

I didn't know about Bowie's name. I'm going to look into that knife. It might be worth owning. Thanks!

On 8/18/2017 at 10:31 AM, derex3592 said:

Thinking back on the series, I always wanted to see WAY more action from Yellow's bike, he didn't get much cool screen time at all on his bike fighting....I always wanted to see what those blades could really do!!! :huh:

Same here. I recall I think from the Robotech RPG book that Lancer's bike was for espionage? But it's possible they just made that up for the Robotech book to give fans something to think about.

Also seeing all these Cyclone / Ride Armor models made me remember that I had another version besides the original that I disliked so much. It was a small one that wasn't that detailed. Barely bigger than a G.I. Joe figure. It was Rook's color too. I have to search around and check that Anymoon site to see what company made it. Perhaps I got it from a Japanese shop like Nikaku. I don't think it was a US toy.

Edited by JetJockey

Another Aoshima re-release!  Sweet!  :D

Those are the most accurate Mospeada model kits ever produced.  Sure, they're not up to modern standards of engineering or articulation, but it won't take much work to adjust the proportions or upgrade the joints... and at the price they're asking, it's cheaper than tracking down the vintage releases.

Here they are at Hobby Link Japan, too:

https://hlj.com/product/AOS05446/Sci

https://hlj.com/product/AOS05447/Sci

I see HLJ has also listed the 1:72 Legioss "Conversion Kit" re-releases, but erroneously using 1:48 kit photos.  <_<

https://hlj.com/product/AOS05443/Sci

https://hlj.com/product/AOS05445/Sci

Edited by tekering

3 hours ago, tekering said:

I see HLJ has also listed the 1:72 Legioss "Conversion Kit" re-releases, but erroneously using 1:48 kit photos.  <_<

What the hell are these 'Conversion Kits'? Never heard of them before. They are for the old 1:72nd Imai Legioss kits? Anyone have pics of the original releases?

So they are the old single mode 1:72 kits from Imai? Ok, but the term 'Conversion' is a bit odd 'cus they don't transform at all. For a second there I thought they were some kind of additional parts to allow the building of each kit into either of the three various modes, but I couldn't figure out how that would work. For $25.00 bucks It batter be all three in a single pack A-La

Mospeada-72-Legioss-AFC-01I.jpg

Tekering already mentioned that in his post with the links above. Most likely just the wrong image used at HLJ.

"conversion" could refer to the older 1/72 kits that had parts to build the Legioss in each of its three modes, or the kits are mislabeled and are actually supposed to be the 1/48 version (which would fit in with the variable Ride Armors that are also getting rereleased).

The text descriptions have been posted at HLJ and indicate that it is a s the good Captain had indicated.

Sorry for my brain fart earlier. It should have been clear - I'd just forgotten that these kits, at one time came packaged together.

On 8/29/2017 at 10:37 AM, tekering said:

Another Aoshima re-release!  Sweet!  :D

Those are the most accurate Mospeada model kits ever produced.  Sure, they're not up to modern standards of engineering or articulation, but it won't take much work to adjust the proportions or upgrade the joints... and at the price they're asking, it's cheaper than tracking down the vintage releases.

Here they are at Hobby Link Japan, too:

https://hlj.com/product/AOS05446/Sci

https://hlj.com/product/AOS05447/Sci

they look really good (the ride armors anyway, 1/72 legioss too small for me)...are there reviews of the original release somewhere (when era are we talking?).  are they prepainted?

7 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

they look really good (the ride armors anyway, 1/72 legioss too small for me)...are there reviews of the original release somewhere (when era are we talking?).  are they prepainted?

Those kits have been around since '83 or '84 with various rebrandings, including the Go-Bots Cy-Kill version Blow Superior. Pre-painted? Duuude! These are old-school models that barely even have adequate alignment pegs! No snap-fitting here, these all require cement, putty, paint, and ample amounts of sanity. I don't care much for the kits themselves but I'd happily acquire the original Imai/LS box-tops: to me those are the real prizes ^_^

9 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

are there reviews of the original release somewhere?

Having found none, I've written several of my own for this thread...  I've also archived them on my blog.

9 hours ago, captain america said:

I'd happily acquire the original Imai/LS box-tops

They're beautiful paintings, and the only reason why I bother tracking down the original releases.

For example:

Iota_box.thumb.jpg.f7014eb81785bf817d88692dbf8ab623.jpg

On 8/31/2017 at 4:13 AM, Salamander said:

"conversion" could refer to the older 1/72 kits that had parts to build the Legioss in each of its three modes, or the kits are mislabeled and are actually supposed to be the 1/48 version (which would fit in with the variable Ride Armors that are also getting rereleased).

No, I think we can assume they're just using the wrong pictures.  The consistent use of "1:72," "conversion kit [sic]," and the listed price all indicate they're not the transformable 1:48 kits.

Oh, and I think Aoshima themselves are providing retailers with the wrong pictures, since Amazon.jp has also posted listings with the same erroneous images.

13 hours ago, tekering said:

Having found none, I've written several of my own for this thread...  I've also archived them on my blog.

They're beautiful paintings, and the only reason why I bother tracking down the original releases.

For example:

Iota_box.thumb.jpg.f7014eb81785bf817d88692dbf8ab623.jpg

thanks tekering!  btw i think i may have traded sharkticons with you in the past if you're who i'm thinking.  

Edited by Mechapilot77