Probably have been looking at too many statue displays esp like those at SDCC, so this looks a lil cartoony..that squat look which it has...or that downward shoulder slump....

These are probably filling in for those static display collectors like how sideshow or the prime1 studios keep pumping out high end statues...

I guess this Cyclone statue will be at the show this week. It does look kind of off. Too bulky and with different colors. And like every Cyclone I wish they started with Rook first. But more Mospeada is a good thing. Some company will finish a line up of Cyclones one day. This whole thing with Scott first is really getting old. Is every Mospeada fan out there really jumping to get yet another version of Scott when we haven't received good versions of Rook or Lancer yet?

23 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

I guess this Cyclone statue will be at the show this week. It does look kind of off. Too bulky and with different colors. And like every Cyclone I wish they started with Rook first. But more Mospeada is a good thing. Some company will finish a line up of Cyclones one day. This whole thing with Scott first is really getting old. Is every Mospeada fan out there really jumping to get yet another version of Scott when we haven't received good versions of Rook or Lancer yet?

The problem is the number of Mospeada fans that would only buy a Scott Cyclone because he's the main character.

It seems so strange that when it rains it pours MOSPEADA. We got the CMs Corps series, Megahouse and Beagle ride armours, all about the same time roughly ten years ago. Then pretty much nothing toy related was announced until this year.

My point being that (ironically) too much choice could be what killed off Megahouse and Beagle's lines.

Merchandising rights are granted for a period of years, not in perpetuity.  When their contract elapses, toy manufacturers can choose to extend said contracts (provided they haven't gone bankrupt in the meantime!), or another company can purchase the rights instead.  Thus we get a new round of merchandise from a new group of companies once the previous contracts have elapsed.  

We see the same drought-to-deluge pattern with Patlabor goods, Ghostbusters merchandise, and especially Star Trek figures...

That statue looks hideous to me, design, pose, proportions, everything looks pretty bad. I'd buy a proper sofubi figure in a heartbeat, this thing I'd never bother owning

Edited by Frogze

On 7/24/2017 at 4:29 AM, Ignacio Ocamica said:

+1 here Noel

Hear! Hear! ;) 

On 7/24/2017 at 6:27 AM, Lorindor said:

I think I prefer some stylization over non-canon variants. :rolleyes: But I agree that this is not the greatest rendition. 

Don't get me wrong, I like stylization too. To me, the Proto-Mospeada design on the Mospeada Complete Art Works cover is already stylized for me. And done in the right way too. Knowing that one will be produced by Sentinel soon is already a wish come true scenario. :wub:

With this statue, as most of the guys said it's too busy looking. And proportion-wise, it looks like just some guy wearing a stylized 'Cyclone' cosplay in a convention.  :rolleyes:

On 7/24/2017 at 8:00 AM, Tober said:

Thanks seti88 and sh9000. 

I don't really like the style either. Which will potentially save me a lot of cash.

Why does his helmet light up? Do Kid's Logic have to shove lighting everywhere they can..? :unsure: What's the use of camo colors if you blend into the environment like a Christmas tree... :unsure:

Honestly? I thought the lighting was so you had a choice of "opaque" visor or visible character face without having to swap parts. Seemed a silly solution to me, but...

On 7/25/2017 at 0:32 AM, jenius said:

The problem is the number of Mospeada fans that would only buy a Scott Cyclone because he's the main character.

Maybe it's just my disappointment and dislike of that old toy. In addition to wanting the red bike which was always the best design to me. I can't believe fans of the show would continue to want the main character first when he's been done so many times before.

As a side note, I watched a few Mospeada episodes and I was shocked how the episodes play with different music. One of my favorite episodes is that snow bank battle and in the Japanese version it's very slow with that vocal song playing compared to the quicker action theme in the Robotech version. I'm still going to watch Mospeada though as the show does feel different because of the music.

On 7/25/2017 at 1:23 PM, sh9000 said:

Thanks to you I'll now have that book.

I still need to get the Complete Artworks book and the one with Rand, Rook, and Mint on the cover. I think it was only a Part 1 book and they never released a Part 2. At least that's what I gathered either here or somewhere else.

I just posted this in the SDF-1 topic but I'll post it here too as you can see some of the Cyclone statue to the side of the SDF-1. It really shows how big it is as the Cyclone is 1/4 scale and still looks small.

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

As a side note, I watched a few Mospeada episodes and I was shocked how the episodes play with different music. One of my favorite episodes is that snow bank battle and in the Japanese version it's very slow with that vocal song playing compared to the quicker action theme in the Robotech version. I'm still going to watch Mospeada though as the show does feel different because of the music.

I might be in the minority on this one, but one thing I think the producers of Robotech did well was updating the background music when they adapted the original anime -- I'm talking about the instrumental music, not the Minmei stuff. I remember watching SDF Macross for the first time after growing up on Robotech and thinking what a jarring experience it was to watch the same scenes played out with different music.  And maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but on the whole, I thought the Robotech music fit better with a lot of the scenes than the original music.

I'll probably get torched along with you for this...but I 100% agree.  Now I didn't grow up with Macross, I grew up with Robotech, but even now, I like the Robotech instrumental music much better than the Macross music.  That being said, I do like a lot of the instrumental music in DYRL. Done much better in my opinion.  As for Mospeada, well, it's just NOT that different of a show dialog wise whether you watch Robotech or Mospeada.  Replace the word "HBT" with "Protoculture" and for all intents and purposes it's the same show. Music wise...honestly I would have to watch Mospeda again, I don't remember the music that well... 

Edited by derex3592

2 hours ago, SuperSenpai said:

I might be in the minority on this one, but one thing I think the producers of Robotech did well was updating the background music when they adapted the original anime -- I'm talking about the instrumental music, not the Minmei stuff. I remember watching SDF Macross for the first time after growing up on Robotech and thinking what a jarring experience it was to watch the same scenes played out with different music.  And maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but on the whole, I thought the Robotech music fit better with a lot of the scenes than the original music.

I agree, background music is something that Robotech generally does better than all three of its source anime series. I especially remember how the battles of Southern Cross lack music that got me pumped up.

8 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I'll probably get torched along with you for this...but I 100% agree.  Now I didn't grow up with Macross, I grew up with Robotech, but even now, I like the Robotech instrumental music much better than the Macross music.  That being said, I do like a lot of the instrumental music in DYRL. Done much better in my opinion.  As for Mospeada, well, it's just NOT that different of a show dialog wise whether you watch Robotech or Mospeada.  Replace the word "HBT" with "Protoculture" and for all intents and purposes it's the same show. Music wise...honestly I would have to watch Mospeda again, I don't remember the music that well... 

You're not entirely alone on this one. I was in 4th grade (1985) when RT debuted on TV, so it's all I knew until 86 when I got a bootleg of DYRL (My mind was blown away by that film!). And many years later when I found copies of Southern Cross & Mospeada my first reaction was the same, I enjoyed the background music in RT much more.The original music felt very cheap & dated even for it's time. DYRL on the other hand has a superb OST & Music!! B))

I wouldn't say Robotech is better but i also wouldn't say i like the originals more. The originals tend to go for a deeper emotional impact or a sense of grandness while Robotech is less nuanced, downbeat, upbeat, or foreboding. 

I'm with you guys on the Robotech music and had the same feelings when I first heard the original Japanese Macross TV music with the exception of a few action themes and the Minmay songs. The first time I heard a taste of the Japanese Macross TV music was in a PC Engine or Famicom videogame. I think it was mostly renditions of the Minmay songs though. I saw the opening of Japanese Macross before on a bootleg VHS tape that had a bunch of clips with various anime shows. Also I own the Sega Saturn Macross game which has bits of music. But the real shock were those Animeigo DVDs of the full episodes. But to be transparent, I do own three versions of the Robotech soundtracks compared to the one complete Macross CD set.

On anime music, another series that has better domestic music compared to the Japanese original is Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs. I love that soundtrack.

Edited by JetJockey
Posted in wrong topic.

4 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

I'm waiting for Sunday, I'm not crazy about that statue. But what currency are those prices in?

Hong Kong dollars... so it's not as ruinous as it looks, but it's still pretty steep at about $770 US plus shipping (with a $320 deposit).

Wonderfest officially starts tomorrow (30 hours), but there could be set-up pics later today. :) I will be rather disappointed if the Ride Armor isn't there.

Everything from Kids Logis looks bad to me. Nice detailing, but the proportions, poses and gimmiks are off-putting.

Honestly, that Cyclone statue looks bad (those tires look like they belong on a Humvee) and the price tag is an instant "No Thank You!"

Kids logic should invest their $$$ in some 1/10 non Variable RIde Armors like what Beagle designed. (Soldier & Bike Mode). That would be an instant buy for me. 

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Hong Kong dollars... so it's not as ruinous as it looks, but it's still pretty steep at about $770 US plus shipping (with a $320 deposit).

I guess that's the cost of the lights and paint details. Still it's up there with the better high end statue companies and doesn't seem to have alternate display options.

On 2017-07-27 at 6:57 PM, JetJockey said:

I'm with you guys on the Robotech music and had the same feelings when I first heard the original Japanese Macross TV music with the exception of a few action themes and the Minmay songs. The first time I heard a taste of the Japanese Macross TV music was in a PC Engine or Famicom videogame. I think it was mostly renditions of the Minmay songs though. I saw the opening of Japanese Macross before on a bootleg VHS tape that had a bunch of clips with various anime shows. Also I own the Sega Saturn Macross game which has bits of music. But the real shock were those Animeigo DVDs of the full episodes. But to be transparent, I do own three versions of the Robotech soundtracks compared to the one complete Macross CD set.

On anime music, another series that has better domestic music compared to the Japanese original is Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs. I love that soundtrack.

I agree the saber rider soundtrack rocks all over bismark's.