3 hours ago, tekering said:

Incidentally, Cap'n, what did you decide the adjusted Legioss height should actually be?

I don't recall off the top of my head. Basically, whatever my 1/32 Armo Soldier measures out to X 32! :lol:

Instead of creating the mecha based on price-point or approximating how big I thought it should be, I started from a blank slate, took a ruler, some cardboard and crudely calculated the cockpit dimensions around the space requirements of a 6ft adult male. I then designed the rest of the mecha around those minimum measurements. Knowing that a cockpit has to be X wide at minimum, plus the thickness of the fuselage and armor, that gives you the approximate thickness of the nose section and accordingly, the width of the torso. The "official" Anime stats were designed for some sort of freak munchkin humunculus at best.

Without being able to cite exact numerical values, a Legioss fighter (Moscato ver.) takes up the parking space of an F-18C, give-or-take. Perhaps someone who has one of my kits can chime-in with numbers but yeah, a Legioss would be a lot closer to a VF-1 Battroid in height.

9 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Well all be damned, It's truly been a while since I've had my Gakken Legioss out on display. I figured it was taller than that. 

It FEELS bigger just because of how bulky it is. 'S like a VF-1 that started bodybuilding and overdosed on steroids.

On 7/1/2017 at 8:39 AM, tekering said:

one-thirty-fifth.thumb.jpg.5c3edea77150a9db735bef6a9b87e390.jpg

Again, assuming the included pilot figure is six feet tall, he's exactly 1:35 scale; and again, the robot looks a little small by comparison (but that could be just the awkward Gakken proportions).

Captain America did a 1:32 and a 1:48 Legioss, but his measurements weren't based on the official stats; he also concluded they were bullshit, and threw them out the window.

For a fully scratch-built garage kit, you did an incredible job!  :wub:

Incidentally, Cap'n, what did you decide the adjusted Legioss height should actually be?

Hey, Tekering--I always wondered how tall the 1:35 Gakken Legioss was. Do you happen to know? Thanks! (For some reason, I'm having a hard time finding a measurement on Google.)

Edited by gingaio

On 7/1/2017 at 11:09 PM, JB0 said:

It FEELS bigger just because of how bulky it is. 'S like a VF-1 that started bodybuilding and overdosed on steroids.

I totally agree, I went and found my old Gakken. She is big & bulky, must be why I remember them being taller. Still a great toy! B))

18 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

That is the saddest thing I've ever seen.  The poor guy looks mortified to be on that Exo-Squad/Robotech card.

mortified.thumb.jpg.feea902e8e915a3ed7cc6fc4d8aa6fad.jpg

I've never actually understood what the deal was with the exosquad robotech toys. I had exosquad toys as a kid and I vaguely remember the show but I don't remember anything related to robotech at the time.

Edited by anime52k8

1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

I've never actually understood what the deal was with the exosquad robotech toys. I had exosquad toys as a kid and I vaguely remember the show but I don't remember anything related to robotech at the time.

I think it went something like this....

"Hey, we need to extend the ExoSquad toyline... we got any other plastic robot molds we can reissue?"

"We still have those Robotech toys we made back in the 80s... and bizarrely, the license hasn't expired yet."

"Do it. Don't care if it makes sense or not. Put the Robotech label on 'em too, see if we can't fan some nostalgia flames."

4 hours ago, tekering said:

That is the saddest thing I've ever seen.  The poor guy looks mortified to be on that Exo-Squad/Robotech card.

mortified.thumb.jpg.feea902e8e915a3ed7cc6fc4d8aa6fad.jpg

I'd hang my head in shame too if I looked like that! :lol:

I had this as well as the larger purple version when I was young. They were the only game in town, and I think that the mediocre stuff we had back in the day was a big motivator for me to do my own thing. Sometimes I think about taking my kit masters and making collectible figures from them.

Awwwww...i LOVED my Matchbox Robotech Invids as a kid! I had and still do have two purple shock troops and the red scout guy! They went through many, many battles with my blue and green Gakken Legioss's!!! :D

Say what you will, but the proportions of the Shock Troopers aren't bad at all for an 80's toy! The red scout obviously isn't right, but hey, he's still cute.:wub:

Edited by derex3592

2 hours ago, captain america said:

I'd hang my head in shame too if I looked like that! :lol:

I had this as well as the larger purple version when I was young. They were the only game in town, and I think that the mediocre stuff we had back in the day was a big motivator for me to do my own thing. Sometimes I think about taking my kit masters and making collectible figures from them.

I'm not a model builder, but if there were a line of assembled figures released based on your designs, with good detailing and paint jobs, that would be pretty sweet.  Ever think of doing something like a Kickstarter to generate funds for a larger production run of your projects?

49 minutes ago, SuperSenpai said:

I'm not a model builder, but if there were a line of assembled figures released based on your designs, with good detailing and paint jobs, that would be pretty sweet.  Ever think of doing something like a Kickstarter to generate funds for a larger production run of your projects?

I have. I don't know if it would be a financially feasible endeavor, though. The Legioss/Mospeada mecha releases have had mixed sales results at best, and bad guy stuff is already at a sales numbers disadvantage right out of the gate. 

Just now, derex3592 said:

HI-Metal R to the rescue!!!  MOSPEADA and Southern Cross!!!  Imagine how happy like 20 of us would be even though Bandai wouldn't even break even! :lol:

Eighties anime nerd heaven! :D

The biggest problem with Mospeada toys is going through or around Harmony Gold. :(

Realistically, you would be looking at going the 'Third Party' route, similar to what's happening with Transformers. You would need a mechanical engineer with Chinese factory production contacts, and a financial backer - which you probably couldn't even organise independently through Kickstarter.

Or you could send the designs to Evolution Toys or T-Rex and see what they say... :unsure:

Which reminds me, only four more weeks until Wonderfest! :D

8 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I/m kinda semi interested in what EvoToys Legios ends up looking like, not that I'm holding out much hope, and it's waaaay to pricey to begin with <_<

Yeah, I still have my pre-order... :unsure:

It's concerning because the release date is only a few days before Wonderfest. :(

Hopefully there will be more news on the Ride Armours. :)

Edited by Tober

1 hour ago, Tober said:

Yeah, I still have my pre-order... :unsure:

It's concerning because the release date is only a few days before Wonderfest. :(

Hopefully there will be more news on the Ride Armours. :)

Who's making Ride Armors? 

On 2/23/2017 at 6:23 AM, UN_MARINE said:

Holy Frak! Have you guys seen this?

It lives again! (in 1/12 scale).

Riobot Mospeada

16700605_993735517423005_6370118977741170190_o.thumb.jpg.8d50d5e068dfeaa0ff972c0670dd3842.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/SentinelInternational/videos/993858560744034/

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Here's the tease. 

I hope the ET Legioss isn't delayed. 

Seeing that pic again, why do I get the feeling that I will spend atleast Y33000+ for one? :unsure:

13 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

The creators of exo-squad are/were big fans of Robotech, and deliberately modeled the show and merchandise to appeal to (young) Robotech fans.  

I can say it definitely worked on me, as I watched Robotech as a young child, and feel hook, line and sinker for the exo-squad stuff almost 10 years later.  I did start to have my suspicions about what they were doing when I saw the robotech re-releases, though.  I only bought the matchbox vf-1 re-release because I loved it as a kid, but I was getting out of toys at that point (only to come back decades later, I guess).

Kind of odd that the tease says "Non-scale full action toy" opposite "1/12 scale". My anticipation factor is through the roof.... really hope it gets made. Last word was that they were hoping to confirm some details at Summer Wonderfest. Maybe there'll be a Toynami announcement at SDCC about distributing it stateside... but maybe word that KitzConcept is working on a ride armor of some sort would squash that.

15 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Awwwww...i LOVED my Matchbox Robotech Invids as a kid! I had and still do have two purple shock troops and the red scout guy! They went through many, many battles with my blue and green Gakken Legioss's!!! :D

I had one of the purple invid too.

Trufax: He got my ENTIRE box of Robotech toys thrown out when his arm fell out of its socket. Mom wanted me to throw out the broken toy, I argued it was loose and not broken(because it was awesome and like hell I was giving it up over a single loose arm socket), and a few minutes later she's telling me to throw out ALL my Robotech toys instead of just one and I quit arguing before she escalated things further.

Joke's on her, my Max Sterling figure wasn't in the basket because I forgot to put him up and didn't know where he was at the time!

We won't focus too hard on the things that WERE properly put away in that basket... I miss my little die-cast Phalanx destroid and those Southern Cross hoverboard things.

12 minutes ago, JB0 said:

...and a few minutes later she's telling me to throw out ALL my Robotech toys instead of just one and I quit arguing before she escalated things further.

Proto Macross Purist. 

;)