Ok, so I lied about having only a one sentence review/feedback. That said;

I liked it.

1) This movie could have been called Gravity and Gravity could have been called Satellite Disaster or something (ha)

2) It was very predictable, but still very satisfying (IMHO) to see things play out

3) Suffers from some pacing issues (slow>slower>picks up>fast>slow-ish>end)

4)

Much like Inception, choose your ending. I chose that Cooper finds Brand and they live happily ever after. I think Nolan would have let The Dark Knight Rises have an ambiguous ending too if DC would have let him.

and

TARS

That is all.

-b.

I was really interested in this film till I saw the clip of Matthew's character talking to his daughter's school and how the teacher said the government claims the moon landing was faked :wacko: That ruined it for me so I'll just wait till this comes to FIOS or Netflix.

So you didn't keep watching to the point where Matthew's character completely rips her a new one over her idiotic stance?

So you didn't keep watching to the point where Matthew's character completely rips her a new one over her idiotic stance?

This was also an interesting scene in the movie, it helps to frame or reinforce what's going on in the world at the time as well as to establish Murphy's character.

Funny thing as I was watching it I specifically thought back to this thread.

-b.

It was highly entertaining, managed to poke at heart strings I never knew I had.

Also

TARS

Agree, it had a very strong and real emotional tone with the main characters that had me a little more impacted than what would normally occur watching a movie.

And it bears repeating

TARS

-b.

Going to see it tonight, really looking forward to it!

It's like the good old days!! Seeing 2 movies in one weekend!! Lol! the whole family saw Big hero 6 last night and the wife and I are going to see Interstellar tonight. This is unheard of, any more, for us :p

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I liked how the movie explored the social aspect of space exploration, as well as the physics involved. Kanedas has it right; "Gravity" would have been an even more apropos title.

Even if the origin and nature of gravity are discovered, and the Grand Unified Theory is satisfied, I think the social aspect will be the more difficult hurdle, especially if we make leaps in propulsion technologies facilitating rapid transit through space. At that point, relativity becomes a psychological hurdle for both explorers and those they leave behind. I think Nolan did a good job of capturing that potential.

TARS; Interesting and totally unexpected design. He and CASE were good characters.

This was a total "meh". Notably Nolan's least interesting movie to me.

Throw away plot, lack luster point to the whole thing. It's also a cliche that again we are dealing with

Beings that are just us
far off in the future able to transcend the 5th dimension, like every current sci-fi show, movie, game on the market. Not to mention I'm more interested in Cooper's mission to bring back Brand, then what happened before it. It was a little to fantasy for me, I expected more realism.

It was beautifully shot, as any Nolan film is, the actors were beyond amazing, lots of emotion, plenty of extremely tense moments/ on the edge of your seat. I'm not saying it was bad by any means, I guess I'm just underwhelmed by what I saw. Which is saying a lot about Nolan, Because this was my least favorite of his, but still better then 90% of the other movies I have seen.

If you can understand that.

I know a lot of people were confused by what was going on through the half way point of the film, but hang in there, it'll all make sense.
kind of..

This was a total "meh". Notably Nolan's least interesting movie to me.

Throw away plot, lack luster point to the whole thing. It's also a cliche that again we are dealing with

Beings that are just us

far off in the future able to transcend the 5th dimension, like every current sci-fi show, movie, game on the market. Not to mention I'm more interested in Cooper's mission to bring back Brand, then what happened before it. It was a little to fantasy for me, I expected more realism.

It was beautifully shot, as any Nolan film is, the actors were beyond amazing, lots of emotion, plenty of extremely tense moments/ on the edge of your seat. I'm not saying it was bad by any means, I guess I'm just underwhelmed by what I saw. Which is saying a lot about Nolan, Because this was my least favorite of his, but still better then 90% of the other movies I have seen.

If you can understand that.

I know a lot of people were confused by what was going on through the half way point of the film, but hang in there, it'll all make sense.

kind of..

Sounds like you had expectations for one type of film (one with feet planted firmly in "real" science) versus a good mix of science and (high) fiction.

The "meh" rating but still better than 90% of what else you've seen just speaks volumes to how good this movie actually is.

I'm inclined to give people more credit and I think they can/did follow the movie throughout. I'll just repeat what my initial impression was it that it very predictable and suffered from some pacing issues, but it wasn't hard to follow (which plays into the movie being predictable).

I do agree that this isn't Nolan's best, IMHO that distinction remains with Inception but this was still very good - relative to Nolan's other works and the rest of what makes it to theaters.

-b.

&

TARS

It's also a cliche that again we are dealing with

Beings that are just us far off in the future able to transcend the 5th dimension, like every current sci-fi show, movie, game on the market. Not to mention I'm more interested in Cooper's mission to bring back Brand, then what happened before it. It was a little to fantasy for me, I expected more realism.

It is worth mentioning that Cooper's thoughts on the origin of the Tessaract are just an assumption. It's left ambiguous, much like the nature of the monolith in 2001 or what happens to Bowman.

On a different topic, did anyone notice how nice the sunlight was on all 3 of the planets? That seems weird given all three are orbiting a hole where light nor heat can escape (unless you count the accretion disc, which still isn't enough).

I think Stuckman got it right

If they movie had ended at the end of the black hole sequence, it would have been a better ending

All in All thought, I feel McConaughey is gonna get some awards for this, he was the best part of the movie.

Awesome surprise guests

Matt Damon, Casey Affleck, and Topher Grace were well hidden characters from talk shows.

Just got back from seeing it at our local cinema which was just refitted with IMAX for this release.

We didn't get the greatest seats for the whole IMAX experience, though.

Overall I liked the film, it was cinematically beautiful, there were bits of it where I thought oh that reminds me of.... But it still made for a great film.

There was major plot device that reminded me of the major plot device in a Fredrick Pohl novel. I'm not gonna mention what here as it will be a spoiler. But anyone who's read enough of his books will know after seeing the film, which book I mean.

It is going to be the SciFi bench mark for films now, serious SciFi can work in the cinema, my wife understood the plot even the science bits.

Edited by big F

Ii can understand and even agree with the criticisms that Chris and Jeremy gave for the movie to a point. Though, it seems to have impacted Jeremy more negatively, but I just don't get why it seems to be more unforgivable here than Nolan's Dark Knight Rises, which FOR ME, has sooo many plot holes and flaws, which are far greater than Interstellars, but yet is put on this pedestal and lauded as a masterpeice.

Chris

Ii can understand and even agree with the criticisms that Chris and Jeremy gave for the movie to a point. Though, it seems to have impacted Jeremy more negatively, but I just don't get why it seems to be more unforgivable here than Nolan's Dark Knight Rises, which FOR ME, has sooo many plot holes and flaws, which are far greater than Interstellars, but yet is put on this pedestal and lauded as a masterpeice.

Chris

+1!!

I'm glad the spoiler video's were posted, now I'm not going to waste three hours of my life on a movie I know I'm not going to like.

I'm not really sure who has been forgiving The Dark Knight Rises. From what I understand it was quite panned and considered the worst of the three (though I feel it has the best pacing.)

Edited by Mommar

I'm not really sure who has been forgiving The Dark Knight Rises. From what I understand it was quite panned and considered the worst of the three (though I feel it has the best pacing.)

Watch both Stuckman's and Jahn's reviews of it. I really like both Stuckmann and Jahns and usually agree with them...just not when it comes to TDKR. I also remember a lot of praise for it here and the other main forum I visit....then add in the Nolan fan boys ect. ;)

No big deal if someone likes it or doesn't like it or any other film....I just find it funny when people will ignore things one place and then nitpick in another. No biggie. :)

Chris

Just saw it a few hours ago and I have to say I really enjoyed the film. As far as it being "too difficult" to follow, my 70+ year old parents didn't have any problems understanding what was going on. As a film, Interstellar is long, dark and most times...DEPRESSING! :( There were times in the film I was like: "Man, traveling in space sucks, why would anybody want to do this?" The space scenes were awesome and I found myself holding my breath during the the entire wormhole scene; Disney needs to make a ride out of that! There were scenes that choked me up and other that made me ask: WHY? As for the "big mystery guest" reveal, it wasn't THAT big of a deal. <_< The ship was cool and the robots were great; kinda wish there had been more of them. Now as for the ending, believe me after almost 2 and a half hours of Interstellar; I NEEDED THAT ENDING!!! It was the "only" bright spot of the film! Critics say that the last 30 mins of the film should have been left out, well screw that! That's what made the journey worth taking. Without that then what the FUDGE WAS IT ALL FOR?!! Aw, heck when I realized WHAT was happening and WHERE Cooper was; I teared up. I know some people would want a different ending, but for me I loved it! :wub:

Edited by aerocombatpilot

^Yeah, I enjoyed the ending too and was happier with the overall experience for it.

And I don't disagree that it was indeed "gift-wrapped", because it was. But my personal preference is a happy outcome versus some depressing "everyone dies" ending for the sake of perceived realism.

-b.

Yeah, DKR wasn't the best either, and this was far better than that. Regardless of story line being jagged, the majority of the movie was good.

The Good parts were Realllllllly good. There's a few scene's between Cooper and Murph that almost had me tearing up (maybe cause I have a daughter) But it was well done. I think the "Movie snob" has worn off, and looking in hindsight, there isn't much that I can complain about.