Rants about the Macross 30 game

Moeflyer

Okay, for those all played the game, please talk about your dissatisfactions about it in here.

Here comes mine.

1. Why Roy Focker didn't featured in the game?

He's an awesome Valk pilot! Why Artdink didn't put him in the game? Is it because Roy really dead? Or it will cause a "Time Paradox" if Roy in Zero and Roy in SDFM were both shows up in the Ouroburos event, just give us the SDFM's Roy, please!

2. What about the "Dark History" mechas?

Where are the VF-4 Lightning III, VF-3000 Crusader, VF-5000 Star Mirage, VF-14 Vampire, VF-17 Nightmare, Fz-109 Elgerzorene, Az-130 Panzerzorene, FBz-99 Saubergeran, Feios Valkyrie and VA-3 Invader Valks? They don't included in the Valk family tree in the game!

Is the DVD file capacity is not enough to fill in those mechas? Or those mechas are not remarkable in the Macross history?

*Maybe VF-171 is considered as VF-17, but...

3. Dungeons are too small

Well, cuz I haven't beat the game so that's all of my rant.

Okay, for those all played the game, please talk about your dissatisfactions about it in here.

Here comes mine.

1. Why Roy Focker didn't featured in the game?

He's an awesome Valk pilot! Why Artdink didn't put him in the game? Is it because Roy really dead? Or it will cause a "Time Paradox" if Roy in Zero and Roy in SDFM were both shows up in the Ouroburos event, just give us the SDFM's Roy, please!

Originally I thought it could be a licensing thing. But Kamjin is in the game, I also this Misa may put in an appearance somewhere. So there are SDFM characters in the game. I have no idea why they wouldn't want to include Roy.

2. What about the "Dark History" mechas?

Where are the VF-4 Lightning III, VF-3000 Crusader, VF-5000 Star Mirage, VF-14 Vampire, VF-17 Nightmare, Fz-109 Elgerzorene, Az-130 Panzerzorene, FBz-99 Saubergeran, Feios Valkyrie and VA-3 Invader Valks? They don't included in the Valk family tree in the game!

Is the DVD file capacity is not enough to fill in those mechas? Or those mechas are not remarkable in the Macross history?

*Maybe VF-171 is considered as VF-17, but...

I'm disappointed that I won't get a VF-4 or a VF-17. Especially since the VF-4 is in at least one of the PSP game.

Well, cuz I haven't beat the game so that's all of my rant.

This doesn't bother me, Having a small number of dungeons is novel, but having done 8+ in the first few chapters they have outstayed their welcome. They do give you a reason to use Battroid mode however.

Do we really need an entire thread dedicated to whining about things that can't be changed?

I sort of agree. I mean, they OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED that there was no Fokker in the game AND said that their reasoning (flawed or otherwise) was plot-based (time paradoxes) BEFORE the game came out.

So , while its nice to want things, its kinda like buying a vegetarian pie and then complaining that theres no meat in it....

VF-1X - Just a modernisation of VF-1S

VF-4 - This Valk has no reason to be rejected! Or maybe it has no optional equipment like "Super Packs" or lack of variants?

VF-3000 - Too many consistencies with VF-1, and it had never mass-produced due to design flaws.

VF-5000 - Just a "Poor Man" Valk for the border colonized planets. Though it featured in Dynamite 7 OVA.

VF-14 - Lose to VF-11 in the competition, mass-produced but not popularized in UN Spacy. It became Fz-109 Elgerzorene used by Varatura Armed Force.

VF-17 - Too expansive and hard to maintain, VF-171 is better than that.

VA-3 - The role is limited for a Attacker Valk. A real VF should be multi-role.

Feios Valk and Variable Glaug were created by Zentradi rebels arsenal.

Sorry guys, I never know that the Roy issue was already determined. Anyway, Ozma is better than him cuz he survived the Vajra War.

Edited by Moeflyer

Don't say that about Roy there both good characters. Roy died cause he wanted Hikaru and Misa to escape. Also he was drunk at the time. And I think Ozma also gets drunk and he almost died so there both equal.

Originally I thought it could be a licensing thing. But Kamjin is in the game, I also this Misa may put in an appearance somewhere. So there are SDFM characters in the game. I have no idea why they wouldn't want to include Roy.

You noticed Kamjin and Misa but not Minmay and Hikaru? Wow.

VF-4 - This Valk has no reason to be rejected! Or maybe it has no optional equipment like "Super Packs" or lack of variants?

It is primarily for space missions, so it makes sense to me that it wouldn't be on the planet.

I prefer them small because I don't want to get lost. I like that for an "Action RPG" it emphasizes the action elements rather than the RPG ones.

Considering how critical I can get, I'm actually finding very little to rant and rave about with this particular game. :p I think a lot of people's gripes are mostly about choices made in terms of content, and while I can understand people being sad that such and such valk wasn't included, I don't think it detracts from the game.

Well.. for the most part anyway. I do think it would have been more fun to have all of Sound Force involved, as well as the VF-17, but oh well. I think Ray and Veffidas wouldn't have contributed to anything really. This isn't a game where you go blasting music to win battles, so having an entire music brigade would have probably been beyond the scope of the game. At least they added Diamond Force color sets to the VF-171s. :p

I do have maybe three major gripes about the game, but they're mostly about gameplay mechanics, and control schemes.

First.. gerwalk steering.. terrible idea. Why would a hovercraft need to make a big circle to turn around? The way gerwalk mode maneuvers just makes moving around frustrating, especially when you're forced to circle around an item pickup a dozen times to line up correctly. You can lock the controls into a more standard first/third person shooter setup by holding the lock button down, but then you have to deal with the view snapping to any target that gets within range. Not game breaking by any means, but it's irritating.

Second, the new game plus mechanic is a bit screwy. Basically, all it does is let you keep your items, stats, and valks, and start a new run of the story mode. This is all fine and dandy, until you realize that you can't use any of the stuff you unlocked until you get to the endgame again. All those blueprints for higher ranked valks aren't going to be usable until you get back into the end of the game where high quality building parts drop, because the stuff available when you start won't give enough points to make higher ranked planes.

Also, because of the way it restarts, you lose any progress in any quests you didn't finish, and you don't get to start them up again until you can get the quests again. You get to keep any drops you had collected for the fetch quests, but that's another headache entirely, because it seems like the game can generate multiples of unique quest drops.

A lot of my frustration comes from the fact that I can't read the quest descriptions, but I definitely was sent on a quest to find 5 items at one point, and only found 3 of them in the spot it told me to look. Because the items didn't reset, I still had the other 2 in storage. :p

Anyway, I just think the lack of an actual free-play mode after finishing the story is a sad thing. What it means is that to use all those unlocks, and go build up your fancy valks, you have to run through the game twice. "Free Play" starts before you do the last mission on your second run.

Last.. well, ok. This is a personal gripe I have, and people might or might not care one way or another. Basically, they committed what I'll just refer to as "the cardinal sin of flight games"- They forgot how wings work. They didn't screw it up as badly as Hawx did, because flying upside down will actually drive you into the ground, but they forgot that banking left and right will actually turn an aircraft.

It only applies if you like using the "real" setting for flight controls, but it's a pretty big physics failure going on, and it makes it difficult to steer at times.

All that aside though, it's still a blast to play. I'd say the flight controls make it difficult to line up gunnery shots, but that's what gerwalk is for. :lol:

I've played for about 7 hours now and I have some serious issues with the game.

First of all, the extremely low flight ceiling. For a game about planes and flying it keep you way too close to the ground. Try to fly up so you can do a strafing attack on the enemies from above and you can't. I'm guessing this was to avoid slowdown since flying higher would have put more stuff on screen, plus you would have seen all the empty space outside of the playable area.

Slowdown. Its everywhere. Start letting off barrages of missiles and the game turns into a slideshow. Its been so long since I played a game with this much slowdown its ridiculous.

Freezing. The game freezes for half a second for no reason at all at random intervals. I'll just be flying around and the game freezes.

Unresponsive controls. I've lost count of how many times I've needed to quickly change from fighter to battroid to follow an enemy and the transformation doesn't work. Some of this is by design, like when your character is reloading you can't tranform, but sometimes it just doesn't work like the game doesn't register the button press. Happen if there is slowdown or if you try to transform too soon after letting go of the trigger.

My biggest complaint however is that the game doesn't need the fighter for anything other than to go from point A to point B. Once you're there you might as well just switch to Valkyrie since that is the best mode to get off all your missiles and just keep hitting the enemies nonstop.

Not allowing custom music in a Macross game was also a weird decision. The game music, outside of the singing pieces is pretty weak and I would much rather be allowed to have actual Macross music playing in the background.

Some of you are taking it way too easy on the game's problems. I'm sure some of you are Macross fans first and videogame fans second but this game is average at best. Remove the Macross name from it and it would be a generic game that would sell very poorly. I hope the game picks up but right now it looks like the problems will persist and I can't see the game suddenly becoming much better.

My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be any momentum when switching out of fighter mode, you just stop cold. A little braking runout would go a long way, and would enable much cooler transitions.

Given how long it took Artdink to do any PS3 games, and how they broke them apart... I think maybe they only have a small number of 3D modelers, so it takes them a really long time to design valks.

Actually, I kind of expect that some of the models are reused from the PSP games. Most aren't bad, but a couple models are really jagged in terms of modeling. The YF-29 in particular has engine pods that are nearly square, and don't match up with the rest of the graphics very well.

Not that you notice it during gameplay though. And really, they may have purposefully kept the models very low polygon to help increase game performance. But still.. the YF-29's engine pods are ugly.