Macross 30... Working on Translation Guide

Zoroastres

Glad to be of service. I think I've long-since passed over the threshold of being an Artdink-fanboy.

---

Anyway, I'm nearly done with the game, so I've got all 20 skills and will be PMing my save to you, SkyYuyo, so check your inbox.

---

Also, I haven't heard from the guy who was handling chapter summaries for me. I've been playing the game off-and-on prescription meds, so my memory is pretty hazy and I've skipped a lot of dialog, so I'm not really able to do detailed summaries myself. If anyone else feels like stepping up...? Please. About all I can remember of the "meat" of the story are the few "fun" scenes, like Ichijo meeting Max & Milly, Sara showing up, etc. I could do it after my second playthrough, but odds are I won't be able to get around to doing that until after this semester, long past the point of anyone else caring.

---

And, uh, lastly... I'll be going on my "spring break" trip tomorrow for 2 or 3 days, so no posts from me for a while (I'll be very intentionally sans-internet). Hopefully I can pop back in before school starts back up and finish both the game and the guide. Anyway... have fun!

Oh, and some advice: try playing through the game w/ a fully-tuned Koenig Monster. It's an entirely different (and awesome) experience. GERWALK-only.

Edited by Zoroastres

Looks like the save files are locked to the systems unfortunately....

This is the screen cap of what I got when I tried to load your save

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/SkyYuyo/MyGreatGame-MyGreatCapture-2013-03-2611-56-44_zps72bead08.png

Unless I cant access it for another reason please tell me. I'll update as I get the icons or until someone else is able to get screenshots of them for you.

Edited by SkyYuyo

I wonder if there is a chance to add an aircraft section to the guide at some point? Something to at least translate the weapons loadout (both default and with the packs), also I believe there is a blurb description of each craft in the game below the stats that might be interesting to have translated. Mainly the weapons being translated would be a great help. For example the standard and Alto YF-29's have the beam turret as Box #3, but the Ozma YF-29 has some sort of powerup (barrier perhaps?) for the Box #3 slot.

Again huge thanks for all your hard work Zorostres, you really brought this game to the western market. Artdink needs to be sending you a check for every North-American sale they make.

Edited by LOW_ALT

Zoroastres, I've heard lots of talk about "junk engine, junk frame and junk armor parts". Is it possible to get the these added into the guide? I'm sure I just have lots of these parts, but no idea what the Japanese for them is.

Graham

Zoroastres, I've heard lots of talk about "junk engine, junk frame and junk armor parts". Is it possible to get the these added into the guide? I'm sure I just have lots of these parts, but no idea what the Japanese for them is.

Graham

As an easy rule of thumb, look for any items with JUNK written in katakana (ジャンク) at the beginning of the item name.

As an easy rule of thumb, look for any items with JUNK written in katakana (ジャンク) at the beginning of the item name.

Thanks. Still learning my way around the game, but your guide is a real life saver. Printed out a hard copy, which is already getting pretty dog-earred due too constant reference (easier than reading it on my phone) Think I've pretty much got things down now, just a few items in inventory and storage, I've no idea what they are.

Graham

Thanks. Still learning my way around the game, but your guide is a real life saver. Printed out a hard copy, which is already getting pretty dog-earred due too constant reference (easier than reading it on my phone) Think I've pretty much got things down now, just a few items in inventory and storage, I've no idea what they are.

Graham

Just to give credit where credit is due, it was all Zoroastres. :)

All right... just managed to finish the game. Will do a mess of updates to the guide tomorrow.

@LOW_ALT: I will not be doing an aircraft section as it simply would take up too much space and convey too little information. There are only a handful of different SP attacks, and only a handful of different weapon types. The only, -only- aircraft I've seen with something "different" is Ozma's YF-29. For that, and any other aircraft that have something similar, I'll just make a simple note in the FAQ subsection at the end. IIRC, Ozma YF-29's sub-3 boosts offensive power.

@Graham: actually, that stuff was in the guide--I removed it. There's little point in listing out frame/armor/engine parts, I don't think. The only thing that really matters is their point-value.

I've gone a bit out of my way to "clean" the guide (re-writing sections, removing other sections) to make it as simple and clear as possible. The ultimate goal is not to place every possible piece of information into the document, but rather all of the (and only the) pertinent, necessary information.

Gotta say your story quest translations and guild quest translations are super invaluable to non-Japanese readers like me. I'd have no idea what to do without them.

Actually, dunno if it's too difficult, but I'd love a comprehensive, all-inclusive list of all items with just the Japanese and English translation of the name of the item only. There's still some stuff in storage I've no idea what it is. Would be super handy for quick reference while trying to figure out what stuff is.

Graham

I've got most of the items translated and detailed in the guide proper. What items are showing up in your inventory that are not translated? Well, odds are they're either unique quest items (icon: box w/ exclamation point), or aircraft parts (see icons in Mechanics Room photo-translation part of my guide). There's really no point to doing detailed translations of those items, as they serve no real unique function. As for superfluous quest items, the unique ones cannot be sold, and all of the others can be sold (you'll just have to gather more if you sell too many of 'em). The only item I would not sell is the Rare Metal Coin quest item, as they're really annoying to have to farm. You can spot them as they have a roman "G" in the name.

Also keep in mind that several of the item tables have multiple columns--i.e. each row has 2 different items listed.

All right... GoogleDocs version up to 0.98... basically just a bunch of small things.

>added notes to trophy list
>removed shop stuff from items section (didn't seem useful)
>filled in missing rewards for races; added in some details for a few of the trickier quests (explicitly stating where to go)
>completed the special equipment item list (I think?)
>fixed a bunch of romanizations (like “vanquish races” instead of “bankisshu races”)
>added two additional translations to gallery war records list;
>finalized glacier map
>added some additional character information; etc.

Before anyone gets confused, I've re-worked the version numbers to better reflect the status of the guide. New version number is 0.94. I've also updated the web version, so both are identical. In terms of today's content update, I've added a bunch of other small additions & corrections.

I have received a few requests to add the shop information back into the game. I previously removed it because I felt it was cluttering up the Items section, and acting as "filler" making it harder to find the more useful item tables, describing the effects of consumables, where to find blueprints, etc. I will add it back in, but unless anyone has some strong desire to see it re-integrated into the Items section, I'll probably either dump it in its own section, or in Miscellany.

And on a personal note, I've received many emails of support and gratitude for the guide... some of which have been very moving, actually. I really appreciate it. I really do. When I first started writing guides, well, I started out with a translation guide for an Artdink mech game... I didn't know any Japanese at the time. Making a guide can be tedious at times, but what makes it all worth while is knowing that I'm able to help share something I love with other fantastic people who love the same kinds of things. Anyway, I just want to say thanks to everyone. If I did so, I'm very glad to have helped you better enjoy the game--or, better yet, given you the necessary courage to play a game in a foreign language in the first place.

Finally manged to finish the game the other day ^_^, the guide definitely been a help in figuring out what the quests needs :D

Much thanks again Zoroastres :D

Also some calrifications on the story for those who compelted the game and can understand better japanese than I can.

SPOILER WARNING!!

1. So from what I understand Hamaval's focused on activating Yuva Agra(?) so that they can use it to time jump to the past to prevent Space War 1 from happening? (I understood snippets between Leon's and Rod argument regarding Mia's future and that Rod's still hung up on her and blames Leon for something?...Quitting NUNS?)

2. Somewaht unclear though on what Mina's role with Yuva Agra (She's needed to fully activate it? Did notice that when she woke up the time travelers started appearing )

3. Also does Aisha have cybernetic Implants?

Edited by Koing Monster

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been in these forums for years (even had to register again to post). A really big thanks for all the hard work you put into this translation guide!

I love this game and would not have ordered it unless I had found an early version for your document about a month ago. Still only in chapter 2, but it's a blast!

That said, I think I've found some small errors on the Special Equipment.

リオンのペンダント Leon's Pendant
Your doc says: +5 Melee Combat, +50 Concentration, +10 Spirit
But I can see ingame that it says something +5 +5 +10. So I'm guessing it should be +5 Concentration instead of +50?

ミーナの髪飾り Mina's Hairpin

Your doc says: +10 Ranged Combat, +10 Melee Combat

But I can see ingame that is has 3 bonuses, and by doing some comparison betweeen other translations in the guide I guess it's +10 Spirit?

Also I have a question. What does Concentration and Spiritia on the pilot affect?

Edited by Wolfsong

Okay. I'll go back and double-check equipment items before the next update.

@Koing Monster:

Yes, Hamval wants to stop the Space War; Rod blames Leon for the death of Leon's sister, who was Rod's girlfriend. Mina's father was a professor researching stuff, and she was needed to activate the device. IIRC, she's just a normal human--don't remember what, specifically, made her special. (I skipped through a -lot- of the dialog because it didn't interest me at all).

Isn't Mina

from a post-protoculture civilization that inhabited ancient Ouroboros before the Human/Zentran settlement?

Did I misunderstand her explanation earlier? Only up to Chapter 6 at the moment.

Edited by hulagu

• 1 month later...

Okay... I went into the GoogleDoc today fully intending to add in all of the little bits of information people have been emailing me about in the past several weeks... only to find that information was already there in the guide, clear as clear can be. So all today's update amounts to is a smattering of small grammatical corrections, some changes to the FAQ section and adding-in the rest of the time-frames for guild quests.

___

Well, the semester is over and I've got a good 30 days until summer semester starts up. I should be on track to graduate this winter, unless I decide to stay on for another semester (or two!?) to put my currently-useless Japanese language credits to use in a minor. Anyway, that means I've got some time right here and now to make sure my translation guide is fully up to snuff. If there's any data anyone feels is conspicuously absent, please let me know. Or any organizational/formatting issues/advice, whatever.

Even with your guide and also the Japanese guide book, I've still no idea where in the on-screen mission description that it tells you the the name of the dungeon or base to go to for the subjection quests.

So with the subjection quests, I basically end up flying from dungeon to dungeon until I hit the right one by chance, which takes ages.

If someone could at least let me know where on the on-screen mission description I should be looking to see the location, that would be great. I've tried for ages to match up the location name with on screen Japanese text, but never can.

And yes, I freely admit to being stupid!

Graham

Version 0.96 update tonight: added in all of the missing skill icons, thanks to SkyYuyo.

@Graham: do you have any specific examples? AFAIK, the only subjugation missions that do not specify the area you need to go to find the enemies are the quests where the enemies you have to kill are generic field spawns--so there's no need to go into any of the dungeons. For missions where you do need to go into a specific dungeon, AFAIK, those are all mentioned in the guide.

If a quest is telling you to go to a specific dungeon, that dungeon name will appear in the quest description in katakana, so it ought to stand out. If you know the corresponding translation of a quest in my guide w/ any info missing, let me know and I will add it in.

Is the google document for the guider messed up for anyone else?

The pictures are grainy and inverted now and some the information in it are cut off.

Like there is abit of writing and it ends with the majority of it being blank.

Some pages are listed but arent clickable.

Examples of the pictures I'm seeing:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/SkyYuyo/Example_zps24b6f27c.png

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/SkyYuyo/Example2_zps124ed070.png

Information cut off:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/SkyYuyo/Example3_zps369e21f9.png

Edited by SkyYuyo

So with the subjection quests, I basically end up flying from dungeon to dungeon until I hit the right one by chance, which takes ages.

If someone could at least let me know where on the on-screen mission description I should be looking to see the location, that would be great. I've tried for ages to match up the location name with on screen Japanese text, but never can.

As someone who knows absolutely zero Japanese, what I would end up doing is looking for familiar-ish characters in the names, usually in the first sentence of the mission description. Sometimes a cave or base will have a character that looks like a hyphen, or an "E" without the vertical line (I think at this point I've determined the character means "mi?"), just as one example. Zooming in on your map also helps ID the caves a little better, though I still had to put my glasses on at times because the text is so small.

There also seems to be a pair of two slightly more complex characters at the end of every cave name, so I would basically look for something like "two characters, hyphen, three characters, those two complex characters" or "character character [specific character] character character, those two complex characters" to ID the cave I needed to go to. Very, very rudimentary, but it got me through my first run with ~85% guild quest completion.

I feel like I even started to recognize the pronunciation of a few characters after seeing them repeatedly, to where I could pick out some character names and terms in the dialog boxes. :)

As someone who knows absolutely zero Japanese, what I would end up doing is looking for familiar-ish characters in the names, usually in the first sentence of the mission description. Sometimes a cave or base will have a character that looks like a hyphen, or an "E" without the vertical line (I think at this point I've determined the character means "mi?"), just as one example. Zooming in on your map also helps ID the caves a little better, though I still had to put my glasses on at times because the text is so small.

There also seems to be a pair of two slightly more complex characters at the end of every cave name, so I would basically look for something like "two characters, hyphen, three characters, those two complex characters" or "character character [specific character] character character, those two complex characters" to ID the cave I needed to go to. Very, very rudimentary, but it got me through my first run with ~85% guild quest completion.

I feel like I even started to recognize the pronunciation of a few characters after seeing them repeatedly, to where I could pick out some character names and terms in the dialog boxes. :)

Thanks Dio, that helps.

I've also spent ages trying to match up the Japanese characters in the mission description with cave names, but without success.

Graham

@SkyYuyo: The display is looking pretty messed up to me, too. I... really don't know why it's doing that. Fortunately, however, the document itself is find--so if you can't get it to display properly online, you can always save the file to your computer and access it there (or view the online version instead, even though it's slightly out-of-date at the moment).

@Graham: You could always try looking at the maps in my guide. They tell you the place-names in English, and the mission information has both the English translation and Japanese, so with that, all you really need to know is the name of the quest you're completing so you can find it in the guide.

A handy technique:

1. Learn to distinguish Katakana from Kanji. It's pretty easy: kanji are the really complicated characters, katakana are the really simple characters that look like chicken-scratches.

2. Look at the mission title: count the number of kanji in the title, then refer to list. So, for example, if you get a mission in Yue that has 3 kanji and then some kata, then check the guide for a Yue mission that has only 3 kanji and then some kana. Odds are there will only be 1 mission that fits, but if there are more, then you can focus on the kana. That should cut down a great deal of figuring things out.

And, like I said, if you (or anyone else) can find a specific mission where you have to go to a specific location that's not mentioned in my guide, please let me know so I can add it in. Like I've said, as far as I know, all of that information is already there, so I'm not actively searching for omissions any more.

Edited by Zoroastres

Speaking of the guide, would it be possible to update the web version to match the completion of the Google Doc? I tend to surf to it on my Vita if I need to look something up while I'm playing, and it's incompatible with the document format.

Also, are the only time-sensitive guild quests the ones listed in Yuria? I'm trying to 100% this thing on my second playthrough.

Lastly, would it be possible to translate some info in the bonus features section? In between the videos and pictures you can unlock, there's some short informational texts that you can also view, which seem to describe Macross history, in-universe info on the jets, etc. They're not overly long, but I think they might add quite a bit to the story, and they're conveniently all in one place so it wouldn't take an extremely long time to list them out. It would probably be a bit of a grind, however, since there's quite a few of them, and I don't know if they would even add anything that we don't already know as fans.

Also, are the only time-sensitive guild quests the ones listed in Yuria? I'm trying to 100% this thing on my second playthrough.

I haven't been able to get the SSS-Rank Hunter - Silver - Clear all Hunter Guild quests trophy. I'm playing it for the 4th time (1st: fast just story in easy, 2nd: completed all quests - normal; 3rd: just story in Ultimate) but I have no idea what I'm missing. The second time I played, i had all pieces of slate and all the quests appeared as cleared in the Combat records but I didn't get the trophy. Taking my time now with the quests...

@GGemini: You have to clear all of the guild quests in a single playthrough, IIRC. Maybe try keeping a tally of which quests you've completed and which you haven't? Even something as simple as listing out the towns and putting down a tick mark each time you complete a quest might help.

@Dio: yeah, I'll update the web version in a day or too. Gonna set aside some time this weekend to go over everything one more time before I do, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd really love some sort of story synopsis, and whats with all the past characters. I wish I could contribute to the guide, since its amazing. But really I'll never play the game (Sadly) so any sort of synopsis would be great.

if nothing else does it explain Shin and Sara after Mac 0? Or Minmey/Misa/Hikaru after the loss of Megaroad?

I'd really love some sort of story synopsis, and whats with all the past characters. I wish I could contribute to the guide, since its amazing. But really I'll never play the game (Sadly) so any sort of synopsis would be great.

if nothing else does it explain Shin and Sara after Mac 0? Or Minmey/Misa/Hikaru after the loss of Megaroad?

No, because the characters are pulled from different time periods. You know, they 'transcend time and space' thanks to the ruins on the planet summoning them via the fold phenomenon. the plot is a fun jumble of fanservice but don't expect any concrete answers or resolutions to things that aren't already known.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody help me with this Hunter's Guild quest from Urthr (Madis Glacier). See attached pic of quest description.

I've no idea where to go to find the stolen vase. I've tried following Dio's advice, to look for the cave name in the quest description, but I just can't find any Kanji or Katakana that look like any location on the map.

I've double checked and the item is not already in my inventory.

And there is no green circle on the map showing where to go.

I'm stumped and it doesn't help that I've just come back from vacation, so haven't played for 2 weeks, so I'm a bit rusty.

Graham

post-11-0-15792900-1373895213_thumb.jpg

If you're talking about 盗まれた壺, I've just completed that sub quest. It's required to unlock the vanquish races for that area. The vase is on the field map as a regular blue sparkly circle of light. Follow the map to the highlighted search area. Or, perhaps you already have it in your inventory. The item's name is simply 壺.

Here it is:

Untitled-1_zps2fcbf3f0.jpg

Also, if the end of the description of the quest has a [マップ情報あり] it means that the information will be displayed on the map.

Edited by Actar

I posted the screen shot of the quest description in my post above. It's a hunters guild quest that's available at Urthr when you are on main mission 7-2. The prize is the YF-19 II blue prints.

As mentioned, no circle on the map to show where to go and I've triple checked the item is not in my inventory.

Basically I want to know whether the quest description screen shot I posted gives a location name? I spent an hour trying to match up location names on the map with the characters in the description, but no luck.

Graham

Here's what the description reads:

"The precious vase that I've brought from my home town has been stolen! Recover it for me and I'll set up the Vanquish Races here. How's that sound? [Map information available.]"

Other than that, it's just the client name, clear conditions (get the vase) and prize.

No. There is no location name given. It's just a simple fetch quest and I've already completed it without issue. Not too sure what's going on over at your end.

Edited by Actar