MACROSS 30: Hints & Tips

Tochiro

Reviving this thread for a quick question... Has anyone had problems with disappearing wingmen?

A while back I was playing and I noticed that after I had gone back to the Gefion one of my wingmen was gone! And I couldn't select him from the menu again. Then recently I played again as Isamu, using Misa as support, and Hikaru and Max as wingmen. After beating a dungeon and going back to the ship, I found that Misa and Hikaru were missing! I don't remember Hikaru dying, I dunno, maybe he died offscreen and I just didn't notice. Although when a character dies, there is usually some accompanying dialogue to notify you, and then you can revive them with the restoration kits.

But how on Earth does a support character "die", if they're not even on the field?? I didn't die once. And now I can't select them again...

Has this happened to anyone else before, and more importantly, does anyone know how to get them back?

I'm not sure if this is related. I remember doing the same thing like battling a semi-kind of boss fight. Then I just went on my own since one of my wingmen died. And this is not inside a dungeon. More like in the open area. And since I'm not sure what to do next coz it's the first time a wingman died, I went back to Gefion after the fight. And the wingman is still with me before the next mission launch. Are you playing the regular levels or the new game plus levels? Is there a way that you can load the save game prior the death of your wingman?

This is my second playthrough. And I don't think they died, I'm sure I would have noticed, it's more like they just disappeared, it's weird. Plus, support characters shouldn't be able to die -- they're supposed to be in the same valk as me, so I would have to die!

Unfortunately I saved over the file before I noticed those characters were missing, so I can't retrieve the old game file now. :(

I'm at the stage of the game where we are about to fold over to the glacier, where I'm told is where Misa & Hikaru show up, so perhaps they will be selectable again after this.

I see. Probably because story-wise they need to be gone before the fold on the next stage. Last time I played I'm still in Yuria at New Game Plus. Anyways, let us know when they become available again after the fold.

• 2 weeks later...

still stuck on 3-5 boss. cant get past this @#%!%@ I can take all the horns off no problem but it always hits me with the one hit kill laser or some other shinanigans.

whats the best method here? because it seriously has drained all the fun out of it for me.

All I have are VF-1's and VF-0's. lvl 11.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a

round to completing my first play through. I got most of the packs my first way through. I started up my second play through on hard. I wish I would have picked Ultimate. Everything is dying in a few hits, and I am getting next to no TP. Does getting get better in the desert, or am I going to have top push all the way to the arctic area? Also, what is the point of making a rank 2 valk? Do you have to go in sequence? With the cost of the blueprints it makes a lot more sense to just skip rank 2 and buy up the rank 3 plans.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Update --- I played it for a bit more, and yes, Hikaru and Misa turned up again after they were introduced in the narrative. Then Minmay came back after the mission where you have to rescue her. So it looks like some weird thing where you can use any character unless they are central to that particular chapter/quest. Weird. My question is, though, what would happen if you have selected such a character as your main pilot, not just a wingman? Obviously you don't just disappear... Maybe the game crashes?? :D

Anyway, Vepariga -- Do you have Ranka yet? If you do, use her ability and she will freeze the enemies making all the eggs and spikes easier to take out. If not, make sure you try to max out the stats on the speed, accuracy and number of missiles payload in the hangar before you go out. Actually, you should do that anyway, as you need to do it all quickly. If it goes on for too long, he will eventually get you with that cheap one-shot-kill laser.

• 1 month later...

Basically, it's kinda the same without the open world aspect. Though what I really like with the PSP Macross games is that it has almost ALL the valks from different series. Imagine yourself riding the VF-4G, VF-2SS, Cutlass, and other valks. ;)

Basically, it's kinda the same without the open world aspect. Though what I really like with the PSP Macross games is that it has almost ALL the valks from different series. Imagine yourself riding the VF-4G, VF-2SS, Cutlass, and other valks. ;)

I did notice missing stuff. Does it control in pretty much the same way? Thanks :).

If I remember correctly, they will disappear just before they enter into the story... (This is NOT your first play through, right?). Meaning, if you haven't acquired Hikaru in the story yet, on your 2nd,3rd, 4th, etc. play through he will disappear shortly before he enters the story... I remember that happening a few times. Next time you start a game, try using Alto. He will disappear first, as I think he's the first one you encounter. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I am still stuck on mission 1-4. What do I do after I destroy the big pirate ships..

Walkthroughs have been posted in YouTube by Racicot.

After you destroyed the Bandit Ships, you need to go back to Gefion for the next task for Mission 1-4. In which you need to go to the dungeon called Ratatoskr Cave under the 'Big Tree'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OXq_9xr5oQ

Another helpful link from Red Shoulders Blgospot:

http://red-shoulders.blogspot.com/2013/03/macross-30-translation-guide-table-of.html

Hope that helps. Good luck finishing the game. ;)

Anybody know how to get the strike packs for the VF1 and the fast packs for the YF19? I know you're supposed to do a race for the YF19 fast packs but the particular race to unlock the parts don't show up for me.

For VF-1 Strike Packs, you have to be awarded Silver in order to get the blueprints in one of the Yue races.

As for the YF-19 Fast Packs, you have to be awarded Silver too in order to get the blueprints in one of the Jurgen Races.

Hope that helps. ;)

Do I have to complete the previous races to unlock the race to unlock the YF19 Fast packs? I use the red shoulder translation guide and I know where to find the races but even when I'm in the last chapter of the game the Race to unlock the Fast pack doesn't show up on the lists of races.

Thanks for responding!

Do I have to complete the previous races to unlock the race to unlock the YF19 Fast packs? I use the red shoulder translation guide and I know where to find the races but even when I'm in the last chapter of the game the Race to unlock the Fast pack doesn't show up on the lists of races.

Thanks for responding!

You're welcome. So you're saying that the race where the YF-19 Fast Packs is not showing? Meaning you haven't accessed it yet or played the bronze reward somehow? From what I recall, some races just shows up whenever you finish certain levels or missions. OR sometimes when you go back from your current map area to the previous map and look around. Have you tried going back and look around that area?

You're welcome. So you're saying that the race where the YF-19 Fast Packs is not showing? Meaning you haven't accessed it yet or played the bronze reward somehow? From what I recall, some races just shows up whenever you finish certain levels or missions. OR sometimes when you go back from your current map area to the previous map and look around. Have you tried going back and look around that area?

Yes. I got all gold on the races for both Yue and Jurgen thinking that after I complete them I'll unlock more races. Do the missions only appear after certain mission then disappear? I don't know what you mean by looking around the area do you mean the races load to a different map sometimes?

Yes. I got all gold on the races for both Yue and Jurgen thinking that after I complete them I'll unlock more races. Do the missions only appear after certain mission then disappear? I don't know what you mean by looking around the area do you mean the races load to a different map sometimes?

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that when you progress the story mode and mission, sometimes I go back in where I miss the races and sometimes it just pops up. Meaning it wasn't there before and then when I went back from a different task or map, it's going to show up the 'missed' race maps. And since you mentioned that you got all the gold, does it mean you already got the 'silver' prize items? But so you know, the race items on the Red Shoulders site is accurate. So try to go back in that said shops and see if the race where the packs are the prize is available. Hope that helps. ;)

• 2 months later...

How'd you finally manage it, Vepariga? I'm finally going to get the game, and my strategy is pretty much looking like "do mission to get the VF-1S Fokker version after finishing 3-4, grind it up to a decent level before continuing to 3-5, then Reaction Missile the hell out of it" from reading the thread & watching LP videos.

Then I'll probably immediately go back to the islands area from the desert, to pick up level 2 blueprints...

On a tangentially related note, can anyone tell me if the SV-51y Nora retains its massive FAE/nuke SP attack from the PSP games? It's hard to find so much as a glimpse of the game's version of the SV's, probably because all the LPs are either on a NG+ (which is fail for a Let's Play to begin with, since the point is a video walkthrough) who set the difficulty to Ultimate and therefore pretty much required to use late-game units to keep the videos moving, or VF-1 nostalgia freaks who fly it exclusively.

Edited by dialNforNinja

To defeat giant guardian (Mission 3-5 and 6-5), Don't too close while attacking the boss, because she got powerful melee and laser beam attack. So I usually use fighter mode and ranged attack. It work in ultimate difficulty too.

To defeat ultimate difficulty

Max out pilot, you wingman, and support character. (i'm using Leon as main pilot, Max Millian and Ozma as my wing man. While my support charcater are Ranka for main pilot, and Sheryl and Minmey both for my wing men.)

Max out your YF-30.

Use super move everytime you in pinch situation and while facing boss. To max out damage, activate sheryl on wingman. I use super move very often in this room.

When fighting Rod while escaping from Gurazuheimu Fortress, use missile (I'm using weapon 1 and 2) and blow everything in front of you. Evade Rod attack as much as possible, because this is gonna be long dog fight. Carrying extra heal item and ammo is recommended.

I defeat Ultimate once btw.

yeah I stayed mainly in fighter mode, took out all the top spikes first. after he arcs up and stays put I kept activating my teams song attacks and specials to keep him busy while I worked away on the eggsacks in the tail. keeping my distance though becuase one hit and its all over. Once he lets the little pods loose and they are flying around I just stayed near the island bit near some rocks for cover and just kept special attacking him in the head and finally brought it down.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, really confused here... Anyone know how to get the VF-25 super parts? The FAQ says they're at Urthur Race 2, but when I visit Urthur there are no Races at all! I'm in a new game plus on hard mode, and I just got past the Quarter / Sharon apple fight. Still no races.

Also, I need the VF-19S, but Cleef town's hunter guild only has two quests available, both of which I completed... "5000G bounty" and "orkos operation". Does anyone know how getting quests to post works??