MACROSS 30: Hints & Tips

Tochiro

Hey there everyone! This thread is meant for people to ask questions, exchange advice, etc regarding how to play Macross 30.

From gameplay tips and mission descriptions to story explanations, feel free to post any advice you have for your fellow players here!

Please be aware that this thread will invariably include SPOILERS! (oh noez!)

Out of respect for you fellow players, if all posters could put story explanations/descriptions in SPOILER TAGS, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

CONTROLLER SETUP

There are 3 types:

Type A: PSP game controls

Type B: TPS (Third person Shooter) controls

Type C: Macross 30 original control type. (similar to Type B but with 3 or 4 button differences).

I recommend going with Type C. Its different to the PSP control set up but feels much more natural (imo) and well suited to the larger environments.

My biggest question about this game is how dialogue and story are handled. How much of the dialogue is actually voiced, and how much is just text? I can understand spoken moon just fine, but I can't read all of the Kanji, so this is the single biggest factor on how accessible this game is going to end up being for me...

As I mentioned in the other thread, so far ALL story missions are 100% voiced. ONLY hunter guild subquests are text-based without voice. There is a LOT of voice in this game. Its almost like a tales game in that respect.

Oh man I wanna play dress-up with my Valks so bad! How much customization of the schemes can you do in this anyway? It's my favorite part of a lot of games...customizing my avatar. Gotta be fashionable, yo :wub::wub:

Oh man I wanna play dress-up with my Valks so bad! How much customization of the schemes can you do in this anyway? It's my favorite part of a lot of games...customizing my avatar. Gotta be fashionable, yo :wub::wub:

Too early to tell. Ive collected materials for one valk (VF-0D→VF-0A) and it has 4 pre-set colour schemes at this stage. Theres also 2 levels of upgrades for the Valk, so you can choose to focus on upgrading the one you have, or put your resources into a new one. Based on the first 3 hrs thats all I can really say.

Hey there everyone! This thread is meant for people to ask questions, exchange advice, etc regarding how to play Macross 30.

From gameplay tips and mission descriptions to story explanations, feel free to post any advice you have for your fellow players here!

Please be aware that this thread will invariably include SPOILERS! (oh noez!)

Out of respect for you fellow players, if all posters could put story explanations/descriptions in SPOILER TAGS, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

CONTROLLER SETUP

There are 3 types:

Type A: PSP game controls

Type B: TPS (Third person Shooter) controls

Type C: Macross 30 original control type. (similar to Type B but with 3 or 4 button differences).

I recommend going with Type C. Its different to the PSP control set up but feels much more natural (imo) and well suited to the larger environments.

I use Type A cuz I'm experienced with PSP MAF series.

As I mentioned in the other thread, so far ALL story missions are 100% voiced. ONLY hunter guild subquests are text-based without voice. There is a LOT of voice in this game. Its almost like a tales game in that respect.

That's fantastic, that makes this game an absolute must buy for me! I was already excited about this, now I'm on edge of my seat. Thanks!

Too early to tell. Ive collected materials for one valk (VF-0D→VF-0A) and it has 4 pre-set colour schemes at this stage. Theres also 2 levels of upgrades for the Valk, so you can choose to focus on upgrading the one you have, or put your resources into a new one. Based on the first 3 hrs thats all I can really say.

So was that tan and orange scheme one of the presets? And here I was hoping that I could color all my Valks gold and red and fly around to AC/DC music.

I forgot to ask, how do the BONUSes work when developing a valk? Do they give a boost for the valk you're creating now? If you create a valk without them do you lose out on the chance to make the best one? Or do they just give you extra TP for the moment?

Edited by TyrValein

If you poke around in the ps3 dash-thingy it should tell you the size of the install, I think. It's been awhile since I poked around since my console is down for the count.

Is there an inside cockpit 1st person view?

Is it compatible with any flightsticks? (like the HORI: http://www.amazon.com/HORI-PlayStation-3-Flight-Stick/dp/B006IOAJHG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=8Z3PWMSAF4QC&coliid=I7S8TH256LOPL)

I completed my Hunter Guild's test quest, now I can fly freely and crafted a VF-0A and VF-0S.

Still not quite get used to the GERWALK control.

Is it compatible with any flightsticks? (like the HORI: http://www.amazon.com/HORI-PlayStation-3-Flight-Stick/dp/B006IOAJHG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=8Z3PWMSAF4QC&coliid=I7S8TH256LOPL)

Nope, it can't do that. You can only play in 3rd person view only. For the flightstick stuff, you can give it a try if you have it.

BTW, something I want to tell you guys. You can put your music into the game and play them as the game BGM!

Just upload the music files into the PS3 console hard disk, start the game, go to "Option-->Custom Sound", click "Album", the game will search them for you. And then, enjoy!

It supports MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA and ATRAC formats.

Now I'm thinking about should I put AKB48's songs into the game...cuz I'm got a crash with the AKB0048 anime series.

Will it be too cheesy to do that because their songs are unfit with the Macross universe?

Damn...I got addicted to those "Sirens in the real world"! Yak Deculture!!!!!

Edited by Moeflyer

I forgot to ask, how do the BONUSes work when developing a valk? Do they give a boost for the valk you're creating now? If you create a valk without them do you lose out on the chance to make the best one? Or do they just give you extra TP for the moment?

Sorry to sound like a broken record but, speaking with regards to my own progression in the game (5-6hrs), its still far too early to have access to any of that sort of stuff. So far Ive had the chance to upgrade from a VF-OD to a VF-0A and cannot build or upgrade anything else until i find the correct plans and get the necessary materials.

No cockpit view.

No idea about Hori peripheral support, but given how few people would likely be interested in using it, my guess would be no. (of course, the best way to find out is to test one yourself if you have one lying around, but i wouldnt recommend forking out cash for the peripheral if you dont already have one).

One thing to keep in mind - M30 is basically a logical evolution of Artdinks work on the PSP.

Speed and controller layout aside, the basic gameplay mechanics remain the same. therefore if its something the PSP version didnt have/support, theres a fair chance the same will apply to M30. This game doesnt reinvent the wheel (or in this case, Valkyrie).

Will it be too cheesy to do that because their songs are unfit with the Macross universe?

Damn...I got addicted to those "Sirens in the real world"! Yak Deculture!!!!!

I'm sure that Kawamori wouldnt mind ;)

MISC OBSERVATIONS

I managed to get another hour or two in last night (may not seem like much, but by Japanese standards having that much free time on a weeknight is positively luxurious... or shows a lack of dedication to ones job, depending on your position within the company ^^ ;)

So, I spent most of the time checking out the area map, getting my ass shot down and losing my progress, lol. I did, however - and this was in the pre-release coverage of the game so its NOT A SPOILER - 'find' and rescue Mina. Wont have much time to play again until maybe Sunday so in the meantime, some thoughts:

-The first 1-2 hrs of the game are story/tutorial/training missions. If you dont want to listen to every conversation, then you will be skipping through a lot of talking heads and probably get through it a lot faster than I did.

-As many people have seen on streams, the first mission is Battroid only. the second adds Gerwalk, and by the third mission you can use Fighter mode too. Battroid-only mission is slow and a pita, but as Leon says 'I guess its better than being put in a Destroid' - lol.

-So far, story missions have been triggered by returning to my base ship (the Gefion). When a mission is completed you will be put back on the area map. From here you can take subquests, buy items, take on bandits, etc, before returning to the Gefion and triggering the next story mission.

-When you are returned to the area map after completing a mission, your process is auto-saved (the actual Mission Clear screen wont be displayed until you've returned to the Gefion). However, if you get shot down in random bandit dogfights before returning to base, any items, etc, you may have gained will be lost and you will be reset to the moment you were first put on the area map (after clearing the story mission) if you havent saved manually since then.

-Use repair kits and use them often, especially when on the area map. Get used to the RPG-like action of pausing in the middle of a dogfight to use one of these (which is essentially a healing potion). If you keep your finger on the lock-on button, you wont lose your enemy lock when you unpause.

-If the final shot that hits you reduces your life to zero, a repair kit wont save you. It's very easy to have your HP whittled away without realizing it while on the area map, so pay attention to the gauge.

-Most things on the Area map will attack you. You dont necessarily have to attack back. Use flares frequently if you have a quest objective on the map you want to reach quickly without engaging in combat.

-Bandit base ships are not to be taken lightly early in the game. They take a heap of damage and can have dozens of units protecting them. I recommend waiting until you've got a better valk, since the VF-0 isnt exactly a heavy-hitter.

-Base ships CAN be sniped to death from a relatively safe distance, provided you have patience and about half an hour to spare ^^;

-The in-game map is low-rez and kinda rubbish....

-The only problem I've had with Control Type C is accidentally clicking in the left stick while in the middle of combat. This makes you go into a crouched steady shot/sniping mode which makes you a sitting duck if you happen to be in the middle of some valk on valk fisticuffs at the time.

Edited by Tochiro

i have begin the game too,i do not anderstand 1 world of japanese(even kana) and i have never play psp games anyway but i have manage to andestand the 3 forms contols

i have a question :is there a way to change/swap target locked?,i have just found i can select nearest one with R3

i would be vey helped too if someone can translate the upgrade/stat menu

I have move in the map,but it's dangerous with lots of enemies,i encounter lv 15 they make big domage in my non upgraded VF0S...

i have begin the game too,i do not anderstand 1 world of japanese(even kana) and i have never play psp games anyway but i have manage to andestand the 3 forms contols
i have a question :is there a way to change/swap target locked?,i have just found i can select nearest one with R3
i would be vey helped too if someone can translate the upgrade/stat menu
I have move in the map,but it's dangerous with lots of enemies,i encounter lv 15 they make big domage in my non upgraded VF0S...

GameFAQs can help you, I think someone will post a walkthrough for you soon.

My status:

I completed a main quest about to supress a Zentradi riot. The truth is the ruin made Zentradi miners gone berserk. Go to the ruin entrance under a big tree, and kick those Zentradi ass, that's all. After that quest, it's time to meet Mina Forte.

Edited by Moeflyer

one more thing:i do not really anderstand the hunter guild:what exactly they ask? ,i have the 2 first one with 0/5,the other i have 1/1 but still in gray.

Those are the first two hunter guild missions. Both require you to find some hunter medals (items) - 1 for the first quest, 5 for the second. When you undertake the 2nd quest, the general area that the medals are in is displayed on your map.

I'm given to understand that in order to download DLC for Macross 30, such as the Minmay/Mylene VF-1J skin, I need a JPN PSN account. Now, this is going to be the first time I've ever used a PS3 in my life, so how do I go about doing this?

There are a few tutorials on youtube on how to do this. I've used one to great success (it was awhile ago and can't find it now).

Here is a link to one on how to do it through the PC -

The key is to make as simple a password as you can and write it down.

I've been using my account for Gundam Vs DLC mostly.

superobotaisen, on 02 Mar 2013 - 20:03, said:

i would like know:how work Rank?is there someting to do to

pass a Valkirie like VF0× to rank 2?

You have to obtain a rank 2 blueprint to do that.

My gameplay report and story spoiler:

Go inside the dungeon and fight the "Dyrus", the dungeon guardians. In the last room of the ruin, a stronger Dyrus is the boss, you can't take the chest boxes even you defeated it, because the plot force you to quit back the mothership.

After Leon defeated the boss, the boss self-destructed and created a reaction warhead class explosion. Luckily the couples are alright. And then, Leon found a chamber, he opened it and a girl dropped out. So this is how Leon met Mina Forte.

Mina showed up she got amnesia, so Aisha and Leon decided to take her outside for a Valk joyride, and then a shopping walk in the city of SDFN-8 Vrlitwhai Kridanik. See if this can help with her amnesia.

(There is an Exsedol Plaza in the Macross Frontier armada, and a Macross-class Battleship named Vrlitwhai? These two Zentradi men are celebrated as heroes after the Space War 1!)

Suddenly, a group of Bandits in SV-51 invaded the city airspace, they were going berserk and making messes. Leon sortied and fended off the bad guys. Those bad guys were actually bank robbers, they didn't realize what had they done and just planned to rob a bank.

Went back to the mothership, Aisha wanted to run an another exploration in a Protoculture ruin, she believed there would be a piece of hint about Mina's memory.

In the end of the dungeon, the crew discovered an giant artefact. The artefact glowed and do something to Mina. Mina knew about her identity, she is the "key" to activate the Protoculture ruins. Mina felt shocked after she knew the truth, but Aisha and Leon comforted her. Whatever Mina is, she can still being herself and friends forever.

To be continued...

Thoughts on Valkyries:

I crafted a VF-0S (Skull Squadron Custom), a VF-0 Ghost booster pack and a SV-51a.

VF-0S (SS) should have better anti-ship capability because the secondary armaments are Rapid Micro-Missiles and Nuclear Reaction Missile.

I haven't tested out the SV-51a yet.

This is the development chart I got (or estimation):

-VF-0 Ghost

VF-0D---VF-0A---VF-0S----------VF-1A/D?

-VF-0S (Skull)

-SV-51g(DD)?

SV-51a---SV-51g

-SV-51g(NP)?

Edited by Moeflyer

you can play with your us account even with dlc from jp one

i have unlocked in another race blue-print for VF1A "skull squadron custom ",there is 3 color red,blue,green and his Special attack you see the 3 shoot in same time

Can you say me what is the Red guild mission lv 22?it is for this moment the only i do not found

Unable to resist the shiny glittering lights on the ground, It seems that I have filled up my inventroy, does anyone know what the BOX item is and or how to store them somewhere else

Update.-

I feel silly now, it was my ammo...

Edited by shadow3393