Mr March

That wasn't shocking, Kojima.

None of it was. "Games you actually want to play will come out sometime next year!"

Anybody get theirs yet? I never bothered to reserve a PS4, because I kind of don't care if I get one or not. Like I said, it's more of an interested in owning a new gadget than actually wanting to play any of the launch games. I was out, though, so I stopped by Walmart. No luck.

I plan to buy a PS4 when KH3 or FF15 come out. Unless Ace Combat 7 mysteriously pops up first.

FF 15? Is that what they're calling FF Versus-13 these days?

I'll be waiting for that to appear before taking the PS4 plunge, or if and when Star Wars Battlefront 3 comes along...or not, if there's actually a PS3 version for the latter.

Edited by GU-11

None of it was. "Games you actually want to play will come out sometime next year!"

Anybody get theirs yet? I never bothered to reserve a PS4, because I kind of don't care if I get one or not. Like I said, it's more of an interested in owning a new gadget than actually wanting to play any of the launch games. I was out, though, so I stopped by Walmart. No luck.

Getting it tonight, tomorrow morning at the latest.

Edit: Alright, despite the Best Buy people calling me a "major downer" when I picked up my system (what did they expect-for me to jump up and down and roll on the ground, hugging my system while crying tears of utter joy?), I'm genuinely curious to see what this machine and NFS will do for me on my big screen and sound system. But first, back to some BattleStar Galactica...

Edited by myk

I'll be waiting for the price to drop and for games I really want to play to be released (crosses fingers for The Last Guardian and ZOE 3) before finally picking up a PS4. My PC build is really my next big electronic investment.

Edited by Shadow

I'll be waiting for the price to drop and for games I really want to play to be released (crosses fingers for The Last Guardian and ZOE 3) before finally picking up a PS4. My PC build is really my next big electronic investment.

See you in 3 years :)

See you in 3 years :)

Not sure it'll be that long. I'll probably cave and pick one up much sooner than that. If MGS5 turns out to be a real great title, I'll certainly be interested in seeing the uprated PS4 version. I don't know what it is, console gaming has just been losing its magic for me since the PS2.

Not sure it'll be that long. I'll probably cave and pick one up much sooner than that. If MGS5 turns out to be a real great title, I'll certainly be interested in seeing the uprated PS4 version. I don't know what it is, console gaming has just been losing its magic for me since the PS2.

I'm so torn about MGSV. Hayter IS Snake.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Have the day off today. Woke up, called Target, no joy. Back to bed.

mike if you really need one, i'll pm you

I'm so torn about MGSV. Hayter IS Snake.

++++++1000

I got mine last night :-)

got it for $430 after tax (it really hurt the wallet), but it came with extras (an extra controller, Killzone, 1 year of PSN Plus, 20 PSN dollars, and Elysium)attachicon.gifPS4_small.jpg.

$430 with the extras? That's totally worth it. In my area, sales tax would but a $400 system alone at $424.

It helps when you know someone at Sony :-)

Bummer. No one I know can get me any good discounts on anything anymore.

Although I did used to know a guy at Microsoft. Not sure if he could have got me a discount on hardware, but I have keys for Windows XP, Vista, and 7, plus keys for Office 2007, 2010, and 2013 (plus Project 2013 and Visio 2013). That's pretty handy when you're a grad student who builds his own PCs...

Guest davidwhangchoi

Thanks for looking out for me, David, but I can't honestly say I need one. I wasn't even planning on buying any games for it right now. It's pure gadget lust for me at the moment.

thanks for the appreciative words over pm, yeah i agree w you, MW guys are pretty cool to each other. anytime.

i'm still at work but the ps4 is with my doorman until i get home. i just checked out the xbone on my lunch break at a microsoft kiosk. the controller feels really good. i hope the ps4 controller feels just as good.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Well as it turns out the area I had set aside for it has no access to the rear to keep the cables from being visible and I only have 3 HDMI ports, BIG BUMMER and totally forgot.

So, cables all over the place, charger charging, everythings pretty much set up. Wish I had the damn camera, I should of gotten that so i could play with the lil robots.

CoD solo sucks.

Fixed. CoD was fun for awhile, but Activision's insistence on whoring out their franchises annually has resulted in a lot of vapid, uninspired sequels endlessly mimicking the first Modern Warfare.

If you and your friends have fun playing it, more power to you, but it is what it is.

Fixed. CoD was fun for awhile, but Activision's insistence on whoring out their franchises annually has resulted in a lot of vapid, uninspired sequels endlessly mimicking the first Modern Warfare.

If you and your friends have fun playing it, more power to you, but it is what it is.

Yup, don't deny it. It's just fun with friends.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yup, don't deny it. It's just fun with friends.

same here. tony hawked and guitar heroed... cod is just milking it for profit. but it's a way to still hang with a few friends after work.

That's F2P, right? What do you think of it?

Yep.

I have mixed feelings about it. It's cooperative, not PVP, which I dig, and a third-person shooter. You play as some kind of space ninja. You get a primary weapon, a secondary weapon, and a melee weapon. You're character isn't actually a character, but a "frame." You can pick from three frames to start, and they have different special abilities, speed, shields, and health. Whatever you pick, you're kind of locked into. I say kind of, because you can't roll a new character with a different frame, but you can buy or build other frames (there are 18 total). Whatever frame you pick, you start with an assault rifle for a main, a pistol for a secondary, and a sword for your primary. You can run, jump, slide, wall run, etc, as you shoot and slash away at your enemies. You can also attack while doing those sort of acrobatic moves.

Levels are randomly generated, and they have some kind of objective. You might have to assassinate a target, steal a data device, rescue a prisoner, defend a target, or fight a boss. You can play solo, which is tough, or you can form squads of up to four people online. By default, the game will try to auto fill all four slots, depending on who's online. Most games, I've wound up with four, but there were times when it was just me and my one buddy. You can also set your game to private or invite only. As you play, enemies will sometimes drop mods, credits, or blueprints.

As a F2P game, you can buy Platinum with real money, then spend the platinum on just about everything from frames to weapons to more inventory slots and so on. The dollars-to-platinum rate makes a new frame run around $20. However, if it's expensive there's a good chance you can get in in-game if you don't mind farming and grinding. Things that you can't buy without platinum, like inventory slots, are much cheaper.

If you go the grinding route, though, it can take some time. For instance, I'm working on getting a new frame. To get that frame, I have to collect blueprints for a helmet, a chassis, and a system. There's a boss that's supposed to drop those blueprints. After three runs through that mission, which takes around 15 minutes with a full squad of appropriately-leveled frames, I've got three chassis blueprints. Crafting a chassis requires materials, the other in game currency (credits), and 12 hours real time. Of course, I still have to find the other blueprints. Once I have all three parts, then I need to buy another blueprint for the whole frame, probably more materials, and 3 days real time for crafting. You can keep doing missions while the items are crafting.

Aside from frames, you can find blueprints for new weapons. Like frames, you'll need money, a blueprint, and the right materials. Unlike a frame, though, a lot of weapons can be bought outright for credits. Thing is, most weapons run 30,000+, and an average run through a mission might net you 1000. If you get stuff you don't want, like extra chassis blueprints, you can sell them.

You'll also get XP as you play. XP will level up your frame, giving you more health and shields, but it'll also level up your weapons. The higher a weapon's level, the more mod slots it has. Mods can do things like increase the damage, the fire rate, the recoil, the crit chance, give a weapon elemental damage, increase the clip, etc.

Although it's a shooter, like Borderlands, it's got its RPG elements. You and the enemies both have HP, and shooting an enemy will cause floating numbers to indicate how much damage you've done. A headshot's not an instant-kill, but it does do a lot more damage than shooting a leg or a chest.

Per day, you get 4 or 5 revives. Shields will recharge, but HP doesn't (it only heals when you find red orbs). If your HP reaches 0, like CoD, you can fire your pistol until you bleed out. If you have teammates, they can rescue you, which takes a few moments during which they will be vulnerable. If they fail to save you, or you're playing solo, you'll be offered a chance to spend a revive, which instantly restores your health and shields to full in the spot where you fell, to continue the mission. If you run out, or don't want to spend a review, you can forfeit. The mission will end in failure, and any credits, mods, or other items you picked up will be lost. However, you'll just be taken back to the mission selection screen, and you'll keep any XP you gained.

Overall, I'd say Warframe can be a little repetitive and not at all fun to solo. It's so-so playing with strangers. If you can get a group of friends to play with you, though, it's pretty fun. Mission levels are big, the action is frantic and fluid, and the game's F2P economy is pretty fair. Plus, since it's coop, you run into a lot less arseholes. It's definitely worth trying.

Guest davidwhangchoi

playstation plus card code for 40 bucks for any new ps4 owners that need a year since we all need it now to play online.

i have one card from a 30 dollar sale from before and getting another to have 2 years. plus the free games for ps3/4 makes it worth it.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6436136-1-year-playstation-plus-membership-ps3-ps4-ps-vita-digital-code-40

(or you can wait till back friday and try to get one for 30 at gamestop)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

It would seem there are numerous people complaining about their PS4's being DOA'ed or quickly dying after start up, some even connectivity issues. I admit it did take me a very long time to set up my internet connection and what's worse is that it could only read the weaker of my dual bandwidth signal giving me a not so amped connection.

But as I was on amazon the consoles got 2.5 out of 5, with a lot of people bitching about their consoles dying and the poor customer service by SONY for long wait times and bad resolving.

So far I've had no issues as I got mine from Amazon.

Launches like the PS4's typically have problems but I think it's the lack of service and sympathy from Sony that's got everyone riled up. People everywhere, myself included, need to learn how to just ignore launch-day mania; there's nothing good to be had out of it, no games, no accessories, just potential teething issues like the ones that are surfacing.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if MY PS4 works.

Edit: Gotta love the geeks who are justifiably crying about their broken PS4's, but then stamping their feet and proclaiming they're going to run out and buy the Xbox instead. Right, because Xbox never had any teething issues with any of their consoles right? Funny how the public just loves to forget stuff...

Edited by myk

Yep, I remember, 33% of the consoles launched and sold had it. That was the first time I ever had a launch day console now this. But gotta say, every console I've had I've been lucky and never had a problem with it unlike others. Except I DID get 1 RRoD when I bought FF13 and it was quickly resolved.