Mr March

Anyone else checked out the big press announcement for the Playstation 4? There's actually a lot of good information in the announcement.

Here's a breakdown of what was covered in the 2 hour presentation:
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-playstation-4-exists/1100-4583/

The big rumor going around now seems to be that "The Last Guardian" (the next game from the creators of "Ico" and "Shadow of the Colossus") is being delayed so it can be released on the PS4 instead of the PS3.

Thoughts? Praise? Complaints?

Edited by Mr March

No pricing or even what the system looks like. Call me shallow but how a system looks is important to me. Now, I realize they'll unveil the system and the pricing at E3, but I'm just impatient. Thanks for the heads up Mr. March...

PS4 is coming out? Dammit, I just got a PS3.....

Same here. I just bought mine for Macross 30...Its a bit early to be thinking of a brand new console.

However, I will admit that Driveclub sounds neat. Its like they're trying to mix Gran Turismo with Armored Core V's team system. Though I have to wonder how many people are going to be playing it online from day-one. I know we're all in a tizzy about social stuff but I like the idea of being able to check up on our team's stats and plan matches/races for later from my phone if I'm out, especially if we live in different time zones or countries.

All this talk of data streaming if depressing me. Call me an old-fashioned geezer if you want, but the day console games become 100% online without an offline campaign mode, I'm retiring from gaming and taking up fly fishing or something. It's not really an option because the broadband here isn't really good enough for that kind of gameplay.

The idea of downloading games, while convenient, presents the problem of having no backup if the console gets damaged or stolen. Sure, they might have an authentication feature where you can type in a password and re-download it for free, but it's a hassle, and an accidental deletion in their servers might mean customers lose hundreds of dollars' worth of games if anything happens.

I know it's quite a bit of negativity from me so early in the announcements, but online console features have just never appealed to me. Damn, I must be getting old.

Edited by GU-11

Has the most important question been answered? Will it play japanese disc and/or digital based games?

They haven't even shown us pics of the damn console yet. :mellow:

And from what I've read, the details were rather general, just some specs and tech-speak, and some demos for next-gen games.

What I can confirm and don't like one bit, is that there won't be any backward compatibility for PS3 games, which I can't say surprises me, since they've stopped this feature since the PS3 itself. All past-gen console games will be available via cloud streaming. Glad I took good care of all my PS consoles, because if you want to play those old favorites on anything other than the console it was made for, you'll have to fork out more cash for it.

Edited by GU-11

They haven't even shown us pics of the damn console yet. :mellow:

And from what I've read, the details were rather general, just some specs and tech-speak, and some demos for next-gen games.

What I can confirm and don't like one bit, is that there won't be any backward compatibility for PS3 games, which I can't say surprises me, since they've stopped this feature since the PS3 itself. All past-gen console games will be available via cloud streaming. Glad I took good care of all my PS consoles, because if you want to play those old favorites on anything other than the console it was made for, you'll have to fork out more cash for it.

That's nothing new though. There are plenty of classic Sega CD & Saturn games which will never see the light of day again, that absolutely require maintaining older consoles.

That's nothing new though. There are plenty of classic Sega CD & Saturn games which will never see the light of day again, that absolutely require maintaining older consoles.

My Mega Drive 2 is still runnin' and a-kickin'! Hardly play games with it nowadays, to be honest. But on the ocassion that I do, it's like travelling back through time into the 90's once more, with Streets of Rage 3 and Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

All this talk of data streaming if depressing me. Call me an old-fashioned geezer if you want, but the day console games become 100% online without an offline campaign mode, I'm retiring from gaming and taking up fly fishing or something. It's not really an option because the broadband here isn't really good enough for that kind of gameplay.

The idea of downloading games, while convenient, presents the problem of having no backup if the console gets damaged or stolen. Sure, they might have an authentication feature where you can type in a password and re-download it for free, but it's a hassle, and an accidental deletion in their servers might mean customers lose hundreds of dollars' worth of games if anything happens.

I know it's quite a bit of negativity from me so early in the announcements, but online console features have just never appealed to me. Damn, I must be getting old.

I feel the same way. It's ridiculous that I have this super-duper laptop that can play any game on the market with max settings BUT......................ONLY if I have a capable internet connection, especially if it's a Steam game. I realize the game is their property and they can do what they want with it, but c'mon now.

BTW I still have all of my old consoles as well. I think I've got everything but the Jaguar CD drive and the 3DO...

Edited by myk

I feel the same way. It's ridiculous that I have this super-duper laptop that can play any game on the market with max settings BUT......................ONLY if I have a capable internet connection, especially if it's a Steam game. I realize the game is their property and they can do what they want with it, but c'mon now.

You CAN play steam games while offline. Going into setting and check the offline box. (After the initial game install of course, I used to do this all the time.)

BTW I still have all of my old consoles as well. I think I've got everything but the Jaguar CD drive and the 3DO...

I haven't played PC games in ages, but I remember there was this strategy game, where you have to be authenticated online before they'll even allow you to play campaign mode, and REMAIN online throughout the session. What was it, Starcraft II or the most recent Command and Conquer?

I pray it doesn't turn out that way with console games.

I agree entirely, in fact a friend and I were discussing this same issue earlier tonight. The digital revolution is fine for Sheeple who like to allow others to control their content but I'm fortunate enough to have this silly little thing called free will and I don't believe others are entitled to control what is mine. If I paid for it, then it's mine. Digital, mostly, strips this from you and replaces it with absurd "use rights". Sorry but I don't pay real world money for digital nothingness that can be revoked whenever MS, Sony, Nintendo, Steam, etc decide to. Just about the only digital content I buy now is through GOG.com since everything is infinitely redownloadable, constantly updated for newer OSes, and I can burn the game installers to a CD/DVD and preserve it forever.

I also find myself playing a ton more on my older consoles recently. Maybe that's because they quite literally don't make games the same anymore. And by "anymore" I mean the way they did all of 5-7 years ago. And games like Symphony of the Night or Panzer Dragoon literally don't have a place anymore because they're crafted with heart, rather than crafted to sell insultingly-priced DLC packs.

As for the new stuff next gen, most of it will get ported. MS has especially shown that they can't hold a single title exclusively and I've tried to warn for years that it's going to backfire on them. My favorite game this gen was Alan Wake...AW2 is headed to Xbox 720/Durango/Nextbox/FUBox or whatever they want to call it....but why bother? Ms will claim it's an exclusive and at most a year later Remedy will self publish it for PC just like the did with AW & AW:AN. I actually do see Sony doing a way better job next gen of having exclusive content given the way they've gradually lured developers back after the disastrous PS3 launch and MS taking the lead. And before anyone claims I'm hating on MS let me clarify that this "hater" currently owns a Halo LE Original Xbox, 2 of the Crystal Limited Xboxes that were released in Canada, the LE Clear Black Japanese Launch Xbox, a White 2nd Anniversary Engraved Xbox, I've been on XBL since the Beta testing, and I would own 5 Xbox 360s were it not for the fact that 4 of them have died and I'm down to the RE5 Edition 360 being the only one that still works.

I really can't see myself supporting MS next gen though I might eventually go for a PS4 if they keep up with the original/exclusive content the way that have the last two years or so. In the meantime I'm planning to buy one of the new White PS3 500GB models for Macross 30, Okami, Ni no Kuni, Ico Trilogy, Beyond, Toki Towa/Time & Eternity, Deadly Premonition DC and some older games like Folklore, Heavy Rain, No More Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles, and a few others that I should have already played.

The digital revolution is fine for Sheeple who like to allow others to control their content but I'm fortunate enough to have this silly little thing called free will

Free will is an illusion. Every "choice" you make is pre-determined by human instinct/nature and prior experiences, removing any real choice from the equation. Just sayin'.

Sheeple, very cute. During your rant, you completely ignored the fact that these services make available games that you can no longer buy for systems that are no longer made, at prices that are a fraction of what they went for when originally sold at retail--including rare titles that go for silly amounts of money on eBay.

Edited by Duke Togo

And, hey ho, no one has mentioned the Share feature. Watch your friends play; your friends watch you play. Big boss fight? Epic scene? SHARE!

That's because that feature is entirely too social for me.

Honestly, the feature I'm digging the most is remote play on the Vita. Nothing is worse than getting really into a game, only for the wife to demand to watch Dancing With the Real House Wives Swapped With the Survivors of the Amazing Race to Hell's Kitchen or whatever reality TV crap she's into. It's the reason I shifted to PC gaming, but then I gotta listen to her whining from upstairs, "Why are you so far away? Come upstairs and sit next to me!" Seriously the ability to start a game on the PS4 but pick it up on the Vita sounds like a godsend.

Free will is an illusion. Every "choice" you make is pre-determined by human instinct/nature and prior experiences, removing any real choice from the equation. Just sayin'.

Sheeple, very cute. During your rant, you completely ignored the fact that these services make available games that you can no longer buy for systems that are no longer made, at prices that are a fraction of what they went for when originally sold at retail--including rare titles that go for silly amounts of money on eBay.

Didn't know that I was "ranting" but I forgot that here on MW anything I say is a "ran" and unprovable prattle about predestination and such is intelligent commentary. :lol:

I think you completely missed what I was saying, obviously you did since you ignored the fact that I praised the way GOG.com handles their digital distribution. I think DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION is great, I think USE RIGHTS are a scam.

Personally I am a collector. I highly prize games in my collection like Radiant Silvergun, Metal Slug 3 AES Home Cart, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc. Do I expect others to go to similar lengths to obtain such a title? Absolutely not, but that's what make me a collector...something I think a MW member would understand. Thus I always want to own my games, rather than rent use rights.

That said I do think it is great the DD allows classic titles to be reissued again and again. I LOVE GOG.com, and the best part about it is that i can play a game like Gabriel Knight that originally ran on DOS 5.0 without all the headaches of trying to force it to run on a newer system. There absolutely is a role for DD and I wasn't saying otherwise. And Sony has done a good job with preserving their software legacy through DD and that looks to continue with the PS4; especially with the promise that every PS game ever can be available again through Gaikai. Funny how a 10 year Xbox fan is being accused of ranting when my post was actually complimentary to Sony...oh this forum....

I think you completely missed what I was saying, obviously you did since you ignored the fact that I praised the way GOG.com handles their digital distribution. I think DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION is great, I think USE RIGHTS are a scam.

Except for the glaringly obvious, which is your example of GOG is completely irrelevant in this case. PC hardware != console hardware. PS2 emulation is dodgy at best, even on the top of the line hardware, and PS3 emulation isn't even a reality. So yes, the complaints about not being able to physically own these games--which you wouldn't be able to play on the PS4 otherwise--is rather short-sighted and silly (kinda like your use of sheeple). ^_^