Why the love for GBP-1S armour?

PC Valkyrie

In reading Drifand's poll about what people would like the 1/48 VF-1J to come with (fast packs, GBP armour, etc), it is clear that a large majority of people absolutely LOVE the GBP armour.

My question is simple: Why do you like the GBP armour so much?

Is it the best representation of ultimate kick-ass fire power for our beloved VF-1?

Is it all the opening and closing missile hatches?

Is it all the missiles that come with it?

Is it because it is simply rare as a toy/model in the last 20 years?

Is it because it simply looks damn good?

Tell me what you think.

because hikaru killed ass with it and amde the 1J look awesome. taht is why many people like the GPS-1 armored Vf1J over the super pack one.

Not to mention he took on a bunch of battlepods and killed ass on his OWN when nit first showerd up not tro mention its beast as hell.

and us fans want to see how yamato takes on it rather than bandai who got lazy not to reisue it.

To me, the GBP armor is not all that great.

It appears for two seconds in DYRL and it appears for half of one episode in Macross TV. Hikaru takes on a Theater scout in the "Miss Macross" with it and even though he launches all it's missles in a counter strike it still fails to totally take out the zentradi unit, it barely does anything worthwhile other than get shot to pieces and keep Hikaru from dying from his mistakes.

It's a neat toy and all but Yamato has not produced it so far and I'm thinking they won't make it at all. Much like some people have said in the past, Yamato likes to get as much milage out of their molds as possible so the one-off GBP may have to wait until they can afford to make it all by it's lonesome.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

All of the above, plus it was one of the top unit in SRW Alpha.

Yamato likes to get as much milage out of their molds as possible so the one-off GBP may have to wait until they can afford to make it all by it's lonesome.

Well they are making the one shot Monster, so GBP should be possible and much less risky.

Well they are making the one shot Monster, so GBP should be possible and much less risky.

There's another toy we don't need... the monster. I would rather have them make the GBP in two scales than make the farging 1/60 coffee table monster and that dumb helmet. Then again this is most likey the "test the water" toy and accessory to determine just how expensive a toy can get before no one buys it.

I really dig the fact that you can add the armor to the existing vf-1's and make an awesome machine.

It gets love the same way the stampede does. The stampede doesn't have any air time, and yet ppl would shell out a lot for one.

In reading Drifand's poll about what people would like the 1/48 VF-1J to come with (fast packs, GBP armour, etc), it is clear that a large majority of people absolutely LOVE the GBP armour.

My question is simple: Why do you like the GBP armour so much?

Is it the best representation of ultimate kick-ass fire power for our beloved VF-1?

Is it all the opening and closing missile hatches?

Is it all the missiles that come with it?

Is it because it is simply rare as a toy/model in the last 20 years?

Is it because it simply looks damn good?

Tell me what you think.

Gotta say all of the above. :)

I think the GBP-equipped Valkyrie is a cool visual variation, and it gets technophile marks for being a modular upgrade. It's also interesting as a side path on the development of the Super/Strike Valkyries. Other than that, I think there's a lot of pent-up demand due to the rarity of GBP armor and the need for completists to fill that one last hole in their collection. It's similar to the interest engendered by all sorts of bizarre German tanks and AFV variations in WWII, many of which saw little or no service and had no effect at all on the war.

I would like to have a set of GBP-1S for my 1/55 Bandai or 1/48 Yamato (or 1/60 Yamato should I get one) but it's not a high priority. I'd sooner see (and spend money on) some 1/60 Zentradi mecha and UN destroids (though not the Monster, due to size/cost constraints).

It's a neat toy and all but Yamato has not produced it so far and I'm thinking they won't make it at all. Much like some people have said in the past, Yamato likes to get as much milage out of their molds as possible so the one-off GBP may have to wait until they can afford to make it all by it's lonesome.

Ah... but what you (and possibly Yamato) is missing is that they've sold buttloads of 1/48 valkyries and even more buttloads of 1/60 valkyries... so there are potentially several buttloads worth of customers out there. So that one (or two if they made 1/60 and 1/48) mold could potentially sell better than any single mold has done thus far, except the VF-1 mold. And with the far less moving parts involved (ie - no transformation) the mold shouldn't be nearly as complex to pull off.

Any Yamato valk owner would most likely buy one. Many would buy more than one. That's good math for a toy accessory.

Which brings me to my point about why GBP armor is cool. Aside from all of PC Valkyrie's original points, is that the GBP brings an additional amount of fun and play to the VF-1 toy. Just like the FAST packs do. Sure, I've got a 1/60 VF-1D, but my favorite thing is to have it steal the FAST packs from the 1J so I can "upgrade" to a more badass VF-1D. And with GBP armor, there's an awful lot of "badass". It just makes the toys more fun, regardless of how long it spent in the show, or how useless Hikaru was in using it.

It looks cool and any VF-1 valk can wear it. It's the perfect accessory toy. Personally, I'd buy at least a few if Yamato were to start making them. And as fan-oriented as they are, I believe it's only a matter of time before we see them come along.

why, Why, WHY? DO you guys keep attaching the same image over and over to the boards? Just do an image link!!!

exactly my words... How about resizing the suckers down at least a little...at least that.

;)

I love the GBP-1S armor cuz it makes any schweet valk into one bad@ss fightin' machine :D

Edited by vf1_soulja

All of the above. :)

It really enhances battroid mode. IMO the Strike/Super armor looks best in fighter with gerwalk a close second. In battroid most of it is kinda lost.

I would definately want a set for 1/60 and 1/48. Removable missiles, etc for the latter... yummy.

It shoudln't be very complicated at all. And that custom one is bad ass!

Think of it as the Boba Fett equivalent of the Macross universe. Looks cool, appears for a short while, can (possibly) kick major butt, ... but got taken out. AND IS STILL COOL!!! In our collective minds, if "I" was driving that baby, no Zentradi would ever get a scratch on me. Hikaru was... shall we say, "distracted"?

All of the above.

Basically I always looked at the GBP-1S equipped VF-1J as the "When you care enough to send your very best" type of getup. In other words it's the VF-1 that I would want to pilot, simply because of the shear amount of destructive power available at my fingertips.

I've always loved disposable armor on mecha. My favorite mecha like the VF-1 Valkyrie or the RX-78NT-1 Gundam Alex feature disposable armor. Just something about the versatility and the design of ejectable armor really adds a lot to any good mecha design. Of course, the loads of missiles and thrusters on the GBP-1 Armor system doesn't hurt either :)