Interesting times - changes at Yamato Toys

Tochiro

Thankfully I have a frugal Neuroscientist hottie wife who doesn't spend much money on clothes and shoes.

Macross 7 was a fair attempt at getting a younger fan base. I didn't mind the story as ADHD as it was.

What they would have to look at is what's going to hook kids today:

-Young Pilots who are better than adults...empowered kids.

-cool music (like frontier)

-love interests (kids are into this now believe it or not)

-Transformable mecha

I imagine a simple show similar to that rescue heroes. Brilliant kid are formed into a team piloting transformable mecha to help save earth from disasters caused by anything from zentradi to natural disasters. Cause the adults are off fighting the bigger battles against protodevlin, zentran fleet....whatever.

Another possibility is a program set in a pilot academy for 10 year olds. Their adventures through flight training, maintenance, and massive tournament piloting transformable mecha.

Could even do it similar to busou shinki or Angelic Layer where kids have little mini transformable mecha they control and fight in a tournament against kids from all over the world. Winner get their own Fanjet. :p

While shows like this are probably lame to us as adults I could see kids wanting to experience such a thing and collect the small scale toys that would go with them.

What we out to do is have a contest to see who in 200 words or less could create the best original macross series pitch. who knows...maybe the his holiness decides to make it or use some of it. :rolleyes:

And how.

What do you mean by that? Please enlighten me!

Ahh...I remember when this thread used to be about interesting times/changes at Yamato...

Well, I'm rather new to this forum but I thought this it the way it normally goes on MW. :p

Jwinges I'm sure it can be done but I'm not sure that the fans of Macross would like the result.

I'm not sure that kids are really that into love interests. None of my friends where into that when we

were kids but times change.

My favorite anime as a child was Sei Jūshi Bismark and I ended up with being Bill Wilcox because all of my Friends thought

a ladykiller was stupid and Shinji Hikari is way cooler.

I read both the One Piece and Naruto manga and neither has any deep

relationships from what I have seen. So once again I maybe wrong on that front.

But that aside what should Arcadia do to push this development?

I think they can't because they are so small.

Edited by Scyla

This thread has become crazy. We have went from "PANIC BUTTON OMGZ" to "you elitist :angry: " to "I'm NOT elitist :( " back to "Well, what I meant to say is, you're actually *elitist* :wacko: " to "It's my money, I'll do what I want! :angry: " to *random pertinent information that quickly becomes buried in flame war* to "awwww...I'm so sorry, I only meant that you were elitist from *this* angle" to "hey, it's fine, it's all good :wub: " to "Down with G Gundam!" to "I LOVE G Gundam and stereotype derived Gundam" to "Wow, Macross 7 had content that promoted neural activity in more than 3 brain cells?" to "It's a deep deep statement on the status of mankind" to "Wow, why do women buy so much irrelevant stuff" to "Kids these days...."

If tl;dr, the following:

PANIC!!! -> Elitism debate with fiery passion --> diluted elitism debate with comedy --> angst --> Save tells us something relevant --> kinder elitism debate --> G Gundam is the bane of the universe --> Macross 7 is the bane of everything --> Women buy expensive clothing --> Kids and a psychoanalysis of their morphological and social being

Lez get back to Yamato por favor

Edited by Archer

Not necessarily saying arcadia should. I'm simply saying that macross needs an infusion and those companies that have chosen to make toys have unfortunately let most people who want the toys behind. I highly doubt that re-releasing Joke machines wouldn't be profitable for bandai or matchbox. Simply because they are a cool toy. If you have an anime that kids will watch it makes it even better since now the social aspect comes in. Back in the 80's in my school (rural Minnesota) almost every boy watched Robotech...and almost all of them wanted to be one of the characters. Its popularity was about equal to transformers in my school. GI Joe probably had it beat simply because there were more toys.

Boing.... Gundams and High Maintenance women??? :lol:

Here is my note to Arcadia

Dear Arcadia:

While I do have my fair share of valks, one of each, I would like you to continue making "Masterpiece" versions geared towards adults albeit at lower price points. Many of us or not...do collect other lines in between formally Yamato's releases, such as Soul of Chogokin and 3PC/MP transformers/Gunpla, it would therefore make it extremely helpful if you can 1) package your valks in smaller boxes and 2) price them a bit lower, ie $150-$180. And while Bandai continues to gauge the collector on the Mac Frontier line, I implore you to make a SDF-1 TV version albeit at a lower price point, finish off the destroids. Furthermore it would be nice to see some enemy mechs, ie Zentradi commander and enemy war ships

Thank you

Say BigWest and Satelight randomly decided to make a new Macross show aimed at kids, as inconceivable as that may seem.

If Yamato/Arcadia were to produce the merchandising -- even MORE inconceivable since it would have to be a much larger company to foot the sponsorship bill -- they would be entering uncharted territory for them. They have never made any toys for children. Having to shift to that type of product is like telling a professional basketball player to substitute as a midfielder in the World Cup final match (yeah, people hate soccer/football, whatever, analogy still stands). They would need to start from scratch -- designing a toy for kids is not just about making things "simpler" or "smaller" -- there are many hurdles that need to be jumped such as child safety regulations, materials, etc. Yamato/Arcadia is geared for none of this.

Jwinges, you mentioned how you considered them as the Ferrari or Lamborghini of the toy world. Do any of us drive a Ferrari SUV?

Guys maybe we should just cut out the middleman and collect Muv-Luv stuff instead because most of that stuff is cheaper and is more readily available. Who needs jets that turn into robots when they have jets that ARE robots?

I can't stand Muvluv. The mecha-designs are so ugly to me.

Edited by Duymon

I still want a Metal Siren... but I'll settle for a VF-2SS and maybe the VF-2JA that could be retooled from it

uh, the 2JA is a completely different design from the 2SS.

i seriously doubt much of anything could be retooled from a hypothetical 2SS toy for use in a 2JA one...

Edited by Shaorin

yeah, the 2JA and 2SS have nothing in common from a design/engineering point of view, other than doing what every other VF does: go fro F to G to B modes. You could, maybe reuse the pilot sculpt, if the suit designs are the same for both Valks -- not sure, and perhaps -- a very small possibility... would need to refer to whatever scarse lineart there is-- some of the landing gear components. It would be like trying to have parts of Yamato's VF-1 be reused/retooled/repurposed for the VF-11.

That does not stop me from pinning/dreaming that either Yamato or Bandai, or any other toy maker willing to give it a shot, would tackle the VFs from M2, in the now standard for variable mecha toys, 1/60 scale; I'd even purchase a Metal Siren, even though it's one of my least liked, however unique a design it is out of all VFs. In a perfect world Yamato's change to Arcadia would open the door to the possibility that the M2 license would be something they'd be willing to pursue; if anything, the release of the VFX VF-4G shows that making an expensive, limited edition, toy of an obscure subject that only a limited number of fans truly appreciated and desired is a viable endeavor to produce. It can be argued that there is, among Macross collectors, an equal and/or greater number of fans of the VF-2SS as there is for the VF-4G, with less interest for the 2JA and MS.

Yeah, agreeing with the complete lack of love for Muv-Luv (heh). Sorry, man, those designs do nothing for me and I just can't get past the weird bizarro dating-sim game conception thing. Can't do it.

As for my MII hopes, looking at the designs again, you guys are right, they're night and day. IDK why I thought they were more similar than that. Oh well, guess I'll just have to hope and pray somebody makes both someday... /BRB settling in for a loooooong wait

Guys maybe we should just cut out the middleman and collect Muv-Luv stuff instead because most of that stuff is cheaper and is more readily available. Who needs jets that turn into robots when they have jets that ARE robots?

Heresy!!!

*torch and pitchfork grab* :lol:

I really would like to see a 1/60th VF-2SS because I'm interested to see how Arcadia would bring the legs closer together. All other realized Valkyries have the legs in a fixed configuration in all modes. Minus the V1 VF-1 from Yamato but this specific Birds is not considered "perfect transformation" even if it comes the reality closer than any other toy. ^_^

Just started watching Muv-Luv Total eclipse on crunchyroll. Are there any more Muv-Luv anime? The wife and I are liking the series.

There's really just the three episode Akane Maniax OVA which is based on a prequel to Muv-Luv Extra. It's still the high school romance part but it has plenty of robots in a pretty hilarious way.

Muv Luv is everything for me that Macross used to be - and substantially less expensive. Complex world. Beautiful character and mecha designs. Multiple storylines... and toys & plastic kits that cost substantially less than Macross stuff does now. :rolleyes:

Muv Luv is everything for me that Macross used to be - and substantially less expensive. Complex world. Beautiful character and mecha designs. Multiple storylines... and toys & plastic kits that cost substantially less than Macross stuff does now. :rolleyes:

they definitely did an outstanding job with the character designs. Watched the first 7 episodes last night. Probably will watch another 4-5 tonight. The mecha are different but cool. Kind of remind me of full metal panic mecha or maybe armored core. You can definitely see some macross inflences in the show.

they definitely did an outstanding job with the character designs. Watched the first 7 episodes last night. Probably will watch another 4-5 tonight. The mecha are different but cool. Kind of remind me of full metal panic mecha or maybe armored core. You can definitely see some macross inflences in the show.

Those mecha are like a donkeys butt with hemorrhoids

They pegged a whole jet as side skirts. Crap gundams would tear that to pieces let alone a VF-1. Where is barfing smiley face. Now back on topic

I WANT THESE NOW!!!!

az-130a-attacker.gif

neoglaug-fighter.gif

sdp-1-stampede-fighter.gif

sw-xaii-schneegans-fighter.gif

vf-3000-blue-fighter.gif

Speaking of donkey's butt with hemmorhoids...those two purple ones. <_<

...well that second purple thing is ok but that first one is all kinds of ugly. I'll take a Muv-Luv mech (never seen the show) over that one any day of the week B))

Give me a Stampede Valk and I'll let you guys call me elitist forever :)

Edited by xrentonx