Selling a Macross Game

TrueXSong

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put something like this, but I found an old PC game called "Macross Remember Me" in my basement. I'm moving soon, so I was hoping that someone in Minnesota could buy this game, or at least tell me the price of what it might be worth?

Sorry about this, I don't even know what Macross is, but a friend told me it was an anime, so I just came to this forum wondering how much I could get by selling it online or something.

Oh, and the game's in Korean, so... is that bad?

What, do you think that bootlegs are on blank discs with a title scrawled on them in magic marker?

Since you have said you arent aware of what Macross is, the first point you need to know is that there have been licensing issued with the series for almost 30 years now. As a result, not a single game from the series has been released officially outside of Japan as far as I know.

A Korean version of the game in question (3rd game on this page btw: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/games/_gamessoft_software.htm ) is not something I've come across, despite having been a collector for years.

I've done a search of every Japanese site I can think of and have come up with nothing. This leads me to believe its a bootleg but, again, this is only my opinion based on what little information is available in Japanese.

Maybe someone else on these forums will have other information.

I don't know if Korea would be subjected to the rights issues imposed between holders in that era of PC "gaming". However seeing how it's Korean and not Japanese, I don't see much value being retained unless someone wants to either A) Doesn't care it's in Korean or B) Just wants a Macross game.

I'm sure you'll find someone, just having something in Korean and not the original language makes it tougher to sell, not too mention that it "Could" follow as a bootleg diminishing the value even lower. Not saying it IS a bootleg, but even the greatest looking stuff can still fall to that category.

hm... should i try playing it on my comp? Or do you want me to take a pic of the game on my phone so you guys can tell me if it's bootleg or not?

Also, for your information, yes i did. I did think bootlegs were just that. OAO

OMG.

I just loaded it onto my laptop and the disc is filled with stuff like "M File"s and "COL File"s and "DAT File"s and "RGB File"s...

I don't even know what these are OAO

Given that the art is a photoshop collage of characters from different games and series, and the fact that there's no copyright markings, it's a bootleg without a shadow of a doubt. Sorry for the bad news.

Maybe it would be of interest to someone as a curio or something?

Very interesting. It looks like someone actually translated it.

Having said that, there is no doubt that this is a bootleg (or closer to a fan translation perhaps. Those things happen all the time).

Put simply, the characters on the cover are from a different game, the picture on the disc is from an OVA series, and nowhere on the cover or disc are images of the actual characters that are in the game. If it was a legit localized Korean release, it would at least use art from the game or from the correct series that its based on.

I reiterate that I think it might have curio value to a Korean collector since, from what I've heard, Macross still has a decent following there and it might sell on the nostalgia factor (being an NEC PC game from 2 decades ago, it would be very difficult to get it to run on any modern pc).

If you want to think I'm wrong, that's your prerogative. I don't see the point in you asking a board of dedicated fans for their opinion on something you want information about and then claim they are wrong. The above is my opinion based on my 20+ years and experience with Macross and experience in the Japanese game industry, nothing more, nothing less. Take it for what you will. That's all i have to say on the matter.

Dude, I'm not saying you need to trash it, but if the original Japanese version is only worth US$30 or so then I don't think it will be worth all that much. But the property has nostalgia value imo as long as you try for buyers from Korea. By all means throw it up on auction somewhere. I'd just be careful with the product description that's all.

Sorry man I gotta tell you there's no $ value to that as an obvious bootleg. You got the case cover of the 2036 pc game and a cd label of obviously macross 2.

Maybe in Korea it's legit but to macross fans statewide and in Japan, its not worth maybe more than 5 dollars and I wouldn't even pay the shipping cost.

Personally I'd say keep it, it'll be worth more to you since you can read it and play it. Someone like me with little Japanese and speaking English I got no interest. Sorry :(