Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

4 hours ago, Lorindor said:

From what I've read, Sylvain White was never hired to direct. He only said he was interested, which is not the same thing.

That's exactly my point... they made a great big fuss claiming he'd been tapped to direct it, but in truth all he had done was talk to them about it informally.  He had never actually agreed to direct the film, let alone signed a contract.  Nic Mathieu and James Wan were never hired to direct it at any point either, it was the same fake news stunt they pulled with Sylvain White.  The same fake news stunt they're now pulling with Alex Muschietti, who credible reports suggest will be working instead on the second half of the planned duology adaptation of Steven King's It.

They were pushing similar fake news with writers, claiming people who'd handed in their story treatments and left were still attached to the project.

7 hours ago, azrael said:

Despite better judgement, yes. Expect some noise coming out (again...) of SDCC this week.

i suspect now that the noise abt the movie needs to be maintained, so that they-who-shall-not-be-named will be able to continue justifying their licensing fees.

There has been quite a number of RT merch announcements coming out lately from HK toymakers..

11 hours ago, Gerli said:

I would see that movie.

Ditto.

10 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

WRONG (you know the meme).

Nintendo never released anything bad. :p

-b.

Nintendo didn't release the Power Glove, that was a Mattel product.  Something something third-party controllers.

9 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

I've watched Stealth so I think I can stomach anything.

Hey, Stealth was awesome, even if mentioning it WAS a bannable offense for a while.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's exactly my point... they made a great big fuss claiming he'd been tapped to direct it, but in truth all he had done was talk to them about it informally.  He had never actually agreed to direct the film, let alone signed a contract.  

Who are "they"? Every news article I could find of the matter was clear on that he had only expressed interest.

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nic Mathieu and James Wan were never hired to direct it at any point either, it was the same fake news stunt they pulled with Sylvain White.  The same fake news stunt they're now pulling with Alex Muschietti, who credible reports suggest will be working instead on the second half of the planned duology adaptation of Steven King's It.

They were pushing similar fake news with writers, claiming people who'd handed in their story treatments and left were still attached to the project.

Here on the other hand, the news articles on the matter have consistently said that Mathieu and Wan was either hired or in talks with the studios. Where are these credible sources that disprove this? If you are going to make big claims that everything has always been fake, please provide proof.

Edited by Lorindor

Was hired? Really? I just googled Jon Wan Robotech together and most of the articles that have come up are only "being circled", "attached".or "reportedly". NONE listed themselves as confirmed hirings. Same when you substitute Jon Wan with Nic Mathieu. All the hits state there is "in talks". Sounds to me that you need to provide proof that there are many credible sites stating that it was a confirmed hiring...

Guys, guys... I think we're all missing the important point here: that Robotech has been flailing about for years and HG keeps claiming Big Things are Coming Soon™ but nothing ever happens. This is just more of the same, and they deserve our mockery and scorn.

Also that the Robotech Academy kickstarter was a failure of truly epic scope. Not that that's actually directly relevant to anything, but I wanted to remind everyone it happened.

55 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Was hired? Really? I just googled Jon Wan Robotech together and most of the articles that have come up are only "being circled", "attached".or "reportedly". NONE listed themselves as confirmed hirings. Same when you substitute Jon Wan with Nic Mathieu. All the hits state there is "in talks". Sounds to me that you need to provide proof that there are many credible sites stating that it was a confirmed hiring...

I find sources that say hired. But okay, there's a bit more ambiguity so I will update my previous post accordingly.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

Guys, guys... I think we're all missing the important point here: that Robotech has been flailing about for years and HG keeps claiming Big Things are Coming Soon™ but nothing ever happens. This is just more of the same, and they deserve our mockery and scorn.

Also that the Robotech Academy kickstarter was a failure of truly epic scope. Not that that's actually directly relevant to anything, but I wanted to remind everyone it happened.

I like the way you put things together mayne. 

Sending out vicious thoughts of mockery and scorn to HG and their ilk. Shame, shame, shame!

6 hours ago, Lorindor said:

Who are "they"? Every news article I could find of the matter was clear on that he had only expressed interest.

Harmony Gold, mostly.  They made quite a bit of fuss on the official forums when that first came to light, with a few Hollywood gossip sites treating it like it was a done deal.  Back then, the Harmony Gold brain trust were also (falsely) claiming that Warner Bros intended to make Robotech one of its tentpole franchises and were fast-tracking the movie into production.  The site was abuzz with fake news about it for a very long time.  There was one other director who was never approached about doing Robotech who the HG volunteers made a big to-do about having turned the movie down... it took weeks to set the record straight that he'd never even mentioned Robotech, he'd only derisively referred to robot movies like Transformers as "Robo-tech" and said he wasn't interested in making one.

You seem to have answered your other question yourself before I woke up, so I'll let that be.

Ask anyone who's been to one of their convention panels in the last eight or so years... they aren't exactly honest about the live-action movie's state of affairs.  For years they were claiming (in their famously lame Powerpoint) that Kasdan, Millar, Gough, and Smith were ALL still attached to write, years after they'd submitted their story treatments and buggered off to do more productive things.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

Considering the franchise and likely source of the claims, it's amazing anyone is taking it seriously at all, let alone here.  You'd think people would've learned by now that they're best described in terms from Shakespeare:

"[...] they have committed false report; moreover, they have spoken untruths; secondly, they are slanders; sixth and lastly, they have belied a lady; thirdly, they have verified unjust things; and, to conclude, they are lying knaves." - Dogberry, Much Ado About Nothing

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

It's totally relevant.  Sony no doubt saw that and concluded, as if further evidence were necessary, that a franchise that couldn't even successfully beg a pittance of $50,000 from its devoted fandom to develop a pilot was only likely to end up as award bait at the Razzies.

(The fact that Harmony Gold's own management wouldn't put up $50,000 themselves to have done with it probably raised more than a few eyebrows at Sony too...)

No Seto, you haven't explained why you know for a fact that almost every news story about the movie, including the latest story about Andy Muschietti, has been deliberate misinformation (i.e. fake news), which is what you initially said. That the guys at HG don't really know what they are doing, we all already know. And the latest story isn't even from them.

44 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's totally relevant.  Sony no doubt saw that and concluded, as if further evidence were necessary, that a franchise that couldn't even successfully beg a pittance of $50,000 from its devoted fandom to develop a pilot was only likely to end up as award bait at the Razzies.

(The fact that Harmony Gold's own management wouldn't put up $50,000 themselves to have done with it probably raised more than a few eyebrows at Sony too...)

500,000 USD. You missed an important zero.

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

The Palladium Kickstarter, which was actually funded, was also a failure.  They were warned, but the 6000 people who paid for it really can't own up to it.

7 hours ago, Focslain said:

Wait, seriously?

The ban on Stealth was half in jest, I don't think anyone was ACTUALLY banned over it. 

But around the time it came out everyone got REALLY tired of a new "teh hollwoodz bootlegged macross" thread every three days and discussion of Stealth was, in fact, briefly against the rules.

16 hours ago, JB0 said:

I doubt any of us are missing the point- Robofail is a joke and what they do is cruelly baiting those still gullible to believe their lies to continue throwing their $ into a failed and dying franchise.

They deserve more than mockery and scorn with the way they make Macross products that much harder to attain.

That being said, I laughed for months about the failed Kickstarter. That was a special fail even by Harmony Gold's standards.

3 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

Let's see what kind of diarrhea they're gonna spew at tonight's panel

It starts at 830pm.

So was last year's speech regurgitated for the masses to feed upon?

I wasn't at last year's but they have a lot of licensing that seemed new that dominated most the discussion. There's 2 table top games, lots of new apparel, "muscle figures", a 90CM tall Prime1 SDF-1 statue that looked really cool (as opposed to the Prime1 VF-1 which looks not so cool), KitzConcept is allegedly working on a 1/72 VF-1 toy, they showed a couple stop motion commercials they made for the 1/100 VF-1 toy and the KitzConcept SD VF-1s, there's the Kid's Logic cockpit and figures, the new comic books, the new artbook and they made a point that they are recognizing the Japanese artists as part of the art books, and the Calibre Wings 1/72 Tomcats and future VF-1 diecast models. The Sony film was mentioned but with a "We don't know anything but it sure is exciting!" vibe... which I was stoked about... I was really worried it was going to be an hour of "What ifs" involving Sony.

8 hours ago, Gerli said:

Uh... Robotech.com is online again.

They're serious now...

Serious(ly in need of some quality time with a small army of clinical psychiatrists).

8 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I like how it says "We're back, Have you missed us?"

My response: "with every bullet so far!" :lol:

So, odds on how fast the site gets hacked?  I doubt Harmony Gold management was willing to pay for a setup with better security.

Just now, Dynaman said:

Out for two years and the top two topics are still the top two topics, with no answers to either.

1 - Robotech Academy 

2 - LAM

Did anyone take the time to ask them awkward questions about the Robotech RPG Tactics KS?  I'd imagine that should still be a fairly hot topic, considering.