Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

25 minutes ago, jenius said:

Ooh, just in time for the SDCC Robotech panel... but still too soon for anything substantive. 

Yeah, my interest level is still set to 'morbid curiosity'. Once there's a writer, and cast and some mecha designs it may go higher than that.

-b.

As truly fun as it is to pick apart all things Robotech, it is what I grew up with, and I do have fond memories of watching it on TV before and/or after school.

And with that I hope against hope that this gets made by a competent director, writer, producer, crew and cast - but I don't see it happening that way. Because Hollywood. Because Harmony Gold. Because Robotech has been cursed since the 80's.

Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but until then...:lol:

-b.

11 hours ago, Dynaman said:

When the movie gets a budget and a production slot I'll be interested, till then it is vapormovie.

+1. I'm waiting for it to break Duke Nukem's vaporware record. 

21 hours ago, Lorindor said:

Just two before this. Nic Mathieu and James Wan.

That's it? I could've sworn there were more. Thanks.

4 hours ago, azrael said:

+1. I'm waiting for it to break Duke Nukem's vaporware record. 

If the movie could speak, I'm sure it'd say "Hold my beer."

4 hours ago, Einherjar said:

For anyone who wants to know where Nic Mathieu ended up instead of doing this.  Still don't understand why a big deal was made about him years ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/9/13902914/spectral-review-netflix-aliens-sci-fi-movie-nic-mathieu

Spectral wasn't too bad a flick. Not worth a full release but good for a netflix one. It's like a live action FF: Spirits Within prequal.

12 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

That's it? I could've sworn there were more. Thanks.

IIRC, Sylvain White was the first director to have the misfortune to allegedly be tapped to direct the proposed live-action Robotech movie.  Like Nic Mathieu and James Wan, it was evident pretty soon after that he'd only been approached about it on a strictly informal basis and listened politely to the pitch without committing to anything.  Smart money says Andy Muschietti is just the latest member of the club of directors who read the pitch, thanked them politely for coming to him, and filed it in the nearest bin as soon as they were out of eyeshot and is now wondering why they're telling the world he's directing it.

Pretty much every piece of news about the proposed film has been fake news... like how they were telling everyone that Lawrence Kasdan, Alfred Gough, Miles Millar, and Tom Rob Smith were had all been attached to write for the film when in reality they'd only submitted story treatments they were paid for and then gone off to do other things.

16 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

As truly fun as it is to pick apart all things Robotech, it is what I grew up with, and I do have fond memories of watching it on TV before and/or after school.

And with that I hope against hope that this gets made by a competent director, writer, producer, crew and cast - but I don't see it happening that way. Because Hollywood. Because Harmony Gold. Because Robotech has been cursed since the 80's.

Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but until then...:lol:

-b.

I'm not going to lie, I'd probably watch it too if if the mecha actually looked close to the originals, but if they drastically change the designs and are unrecognizable, I'm out.  

I understand that the original designs may not translate well to real life, but what can I say, I'm a bitter old geezer.

Edited by peter

23 minutes ago, peter said:

I'm not going to lie, I'd probably watch it too if if the mecha actually looked close to the originals, but if they drastically change the designs and are unrecognizable, I'm out.  

I understand that the original designs may not translate well to real life, but what can I say, I'm a bitter old geezer.

So, for legal reasons, "Failure is the only option".  They can neither use the original designs nor develop derivatives of same for animated or live action works.

Well, someone mentioned Mospeada designs are still on the table.  Would be interesting to see photoreal images of Legios or ride armour, or even what an inbit would look like on the big screen.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

IIRC, Sylvain White was the first director to have the misfortune to allegedly be tapped to direct the proposed live-action Robotech movie. Like Nic Mathieu and James Wan, it was evident pretty soon after that he'd only been approached about it on a strictly informal basis and listened politely to the pitch without committing to anything.  Smart money says Andy Muschietti is just the latest member of the club of directors who read the pitch, thanked them politely for coming to him, and filed it in the nearest bin as soon as they were out of eyeshot and is now wondering why they're telling the world he's directing it.

From what I've read, Sylvain White was never hired to direct. He only said he was interested, which is not the same thing.

1 hour ago, SuperSenpai said:

Can't forget Toby Maguire, probably the most prominent name that was attached to this project.

Yes, he wanted to produce the film with his own production company. 

1 hour ago, peter said:

Well, someone mentioned Mospeada designs are still on the table.  Would be interesting to see photoreal images of Legios or ride armour, or even what an inbit would look like on the big screen.

I would see that movie.