Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

:( I'm legitimately disappointed.

Robotech is just so boring in this weird semi-dead, semi-comatose state it currently occupies. I wanna see them do something new a terrible so we can all laugh and groan and make endless jokes about everyone and everything involved.

:( I'm legitimately disappointed.

Robotech is just so boring in this weird semi-dead, semi-comatose state it currently occupies. I wanna see them do something new and terrible so we can all laugh and groan and make endless jokes about everyone and everything involved.

James Cameron's Battle Angel will be out, Hideo Kojima will return to Konami, and Led Zeppelin will do another reunion concert before that happens.

*sigh*

I love Robotech. I really do. I love the interconnected story, the ties between the three generations of Earth's defenders, the way the mistakes of one generation haunt the rest.

But dear GOD, the people running the brand are making it hard for me to actually like the product! Between the clusterfrakk that is the Mini situation, to the dire toy situation, to the lack of decent support of the tiny fanbase... This is just a horrible waste of a memorable IP.

• 1 month later...

My bet is if James Wan's Aquaman makes a ton of money then he'll go straight to Aquaman II. But let's face it... Can Aquaman suck as bad as BvS and still make that much money? Robotech really has a good chance of getting made unless Aquaman is a hit or Wan gets an even juicer franchise out of it.

Robotech.... todaRescue!

Get some help! :lol:

Guest davidwhangchoi

My bet is if James Wan's Aquaman makes a ton of money then he'll go straight to Aquaman II. But let's face it... Can Aquaman suck as bad as BvS and still make that much money? Robotech really has a good chance of getting made unless Aquaman is a hit or Wan gets an even juicer franchise out of it.

Get some help! :lol:

i totally forgot about the jingle until this thread came back from the dead :p

wow... this movie might actually be happening.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I never saw the Robotech Veritech Fighter toy before - so I never knew they went with the super deformed version for their toy.

One of them. They also had the non-transformable put-a-figure-in-the-cockpit one.

I owned a SD Max 1J. It was the best thing, until the swingbars in the fuselage/chest broke, were glued together, and broke again.

They WANTED the 1/55, I'm sure, but... Hasbro sniped that license.

I ultimately could be wrong about this, but the way I see it - Robotech ISN'T getting made into a movie. Sony is going to sit on it like Warner Brothers before them. In fact, Sony recently announced their movie slate until 2019, and it wasn't on the list. The recent James Wan interview sort confirms it too, since he clearly doesn't know. Instead, Sony is focusing on tried and true properties like:

Resident Evil

Underworld

Barbie

The Magnificent Seven

Ghostbusters

The Dark Tower

Uncharted

Smurfs

Spiderman

Bad Boys 3 & 4

MIB23

Not having access to the original Macross names and designs should be a big blow to the project as it is, but I think the bigger problem is they can't sell the movie to Japan - noted for being one of the biggest box office markets in recent years.

must... not... bump... thread... aaargh!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/03/27/james-wan-promises-robotech-movie-will-honor-its-roots

god... how awful are video feeds when it's not youtube?

Brave words for someone who's also going to be spending the next few years salvaging Zack Snyder's credibility and getting a rude awakening about what he signed up for in about a week.

Brave words for someone who's also going to be spending the next few years salvaging Zack Snyder's credibility and getting a rude awakening about what he signed up for in about a week.

Could you imagine how incredibad a Zack Snyder directed Robotech movie would be? :hail: I'm getting excited just at the thought. :lol:

Maybe if he's busy, they could get Josh Trank instead. :wub: :wub: :wub:

a man has the right to dream, right?

Is it just me, or has Robotech gotten to the point that the best solution would be to continue it with an Army of Darkness style outright comedy? I want Huey from the Boondocks to take twenty minutes to mash a fighter pilot helmet over his two feet of hair, go by "Rick", and claim to be Japanese. His Veritech should also be covered with branding logos from Redbull and Vagisill, and protoculture should grow in a pitri dish and require a gigantic mushroom shaped bong for proper use . . . . my god, that script just writes itself!

Could you imagine how incredibad a Zack Snyder directed Robotech movie would be? :hail: I'm getting excited just at the thought. :lol:

Really not in the mood to see Mimmei getting brutalized for grits sake anytime soon. His and James Wan's careers may not survive the DC Cinamatic Universe.

Creavision is doing another fan film, and it looks like they're further along on a Robotech live action than the official thing. Wonder if Harmony Gold will send them another Cease and Desist letter? Or hire them and stab them in the back again?

Or both?

Edited by Jefuemon

My problem with these kind of junky robot designs is that when they start punching my eyes have a hard time telling where one robot ends and one begins. They just look like piles of scrap rolling around instead of mechanical humanoid shapes.

Just curious about the giant wheels on the planes?

That's how we fight in third-World countries.. just put whatever weapon we found over a Toyota Pick-Up and drive it to the battlefield.

Edited by Gerli

My problem with these kind of junky robot designs is that when they start punching my eyes have a hard time telling where one robot ends and one begins. They just look like piles of scrap rolling around instead of mechanical humanoid shapes.

This. That is exactly what I see when I look at Bayformer movie ads. And frankly, it looks silly. Its like when people talk trash on the TOS Enterprise and say JJprise looks more realistic... uhm, no. You don't design something like that to look "sexy". You design for its purpose. Practicality. The VF-1s are another example. Not to offend anyone who likes the new shows, but none of the newer VFs are as practical and believable looking as the VF-1S. Sexier? Maybe. More complex looking? Yep. But from a military/technical standpoint, something as complex in transforming as a VF-25 would most likely be an incredible maintainence nightmare, as well as dangerous should the thing malfunction. While those problems certainly would exist with a VF-1, they are not nearly as big an issue... except for the weirdness that is the leg delivery systems. ☺

I think the problem stems from the current design school mentality of thinking that there needs to be more detail on the screen, simply because screens (TV in particular) can display more detail.

TOS aside, one quote I remember about the design process of DS9 went something along the lines of "I want someone outside the room, looking in through the window to see it, and instantly now that our show is on". The end result was something simple, elegant, detailed, but also visually distinct.

Which I believe are some ideas that the current movie robot designers are lacking in their visual design vocabulary.

I agree that Kawamori-san also seems to have compromised his Valkyrie designs when he started going down the road of making completely accurate designs (in the sense that there is no anime magic to get the parts to fit together), starting from the SV-51 in Macross Zero.

I think the problem stems from the current design school mentality of thinking that there needs to be more detail on the screen, simply because screens (TV in particular) can display more detail.

TOS aside, one quote I remember about the design process of DS9 went something along the lines of "I want someone outside the room, looking in through the window to see it, and instantly now that our show is on". The end result was something simple, elegant, detailed, but also visually distinct.

Which I believe are some ideas that the current movie robot designers are lacking in their visual design vocabulary.

I agree that Kawamori-san also seems to have compromised his Valkyrie designs when he started going down the road of making completely accurate designs (in the sense that there is no anime magic to get the parts to fit together), starting from the SV-51 in Macross Zero.

I agree. But there is also today this notion of "make it look cool first and worry about logic later", as well. It really all started with 2001, where the Discovery was detailed with all those greeblies for no logical reason. Clarke is rumored to have been annoyed by that as he envisioned the design to be a clean and uncluttered version of what was on screen. Then Star Wars really ramped it up. I think the best compromise between logic and looks would be(for me) the refit Enterprise/-A. All the hull paneling is painted on, and intended to JUST be noticed. The ship itself is low on external detailing. And I think it works.

I get that Kawamori has been trying to make the mechanical side of the transformations more realistic, but I firmly believe simplifying the transformation and simply try to adhere to a concept of (and I hate the way this terms being thrown about alot), "grounded" handling of it would go a long way.

If you're simply doing something like Getter Robo, then logic is not a concern. But the more real you want something to feel the bigger the challenge is to suspend disbelief.