Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

Sadly these are the people HG is marketing to... specially the ones with the blogs that other people might find and post in a forum just like this but less involved with Macross/Robotech fandom. They even encourage it in the beginning of that panel.

I find solace in that, even if it is disturbing how exploitative it is. The purchasing power of that particular portion of the consumer market is very apparent in the "success" of Harmony Gold up to this point. Two non-event animated movies and a failed kickstarter over 30 years. This kind of consumer base is the next best thing to HG having no consumer base.

HG is like a turd nugget that refuses to be flushed down the toilet no matter how many times you push the handle.

I'd agree, except there's some good entertainment to be had there if you start taking bets on how many flushes it'll take, or which way it'll point the next time it bobs up.

I'd just like to point out that The Shadow Chronicles took 6 years from the vague 2000 announcement to actually be released. This live action movie was licensed by Warner in 2007, about a month after the first Bay Transformers movie came out, which makes it 8 years. In the interum, there"s been a shitty bastardization of Love Live Alive, and an even shittier Robotech Meets Voltron comic.

What does this all mean? How do I get a job at HG, because it's not fair that people can get paid for 15 years for bullshit, but I have to work hard and look for jobs like a chump!

How do I get a job at HG, because it's not fair that people can get paid for 15 years for bullshit, but I have to work hard and look for jobs like a chump!

For real. I want this gig.

That said, I'd really like someone competent to get in there. I want Robotech to be something other than a ridiculous shambling zombie leeching off nostaglia and what appears more and more to be stockholm syndrome.

Since it seems clear it won't die outright, I want to know what it takes to get something more than the same rehashes and embarrassments. How hard will it be to shake up that status quo and get fresh blood and new ideas in there?

and an even shittier Robotech Meets Voltron comic.

Robotech and Voltron

Two bastardized anime. Mashing two bastardized anime together to create something even shittier, how sad.

Note: Macrss is of course awesome. What many people here forget is that Go Lion kicks ass in compared to that watered down Voltron!

One, plus one, plus one, plus one, plus one .... (lets see who knows the proper answer)

Edited by eight_car

Robotech and Voltron

Two bastardized anime. Mashing two bastardized anime together to create something even shittier, how sad.

Note: Macrss is of course awesome. What many people here forget is that Go Lion kicks ass in compared to that watered down Voltron!

One, plus one, plus one, plus one, plus one .... (lets see who knows the proper answer)

Hey, at least Voltron had the decency to commit to making original animated content and follow through on it.

A new season of the original show, apparently animated by the original staff, and two more original serieses.

In that same time, Robotech did what? A TV movie scavenged from an aborted sequel, and then a direct-to-video movie of an aborted sequel twenty years later?

That said, I'd really like someone competent to get in there. I want Robotech to be something other than a ridiculous shambling zombie leeching off nostaglia and what appears more and more to be stockholm syndrome.

Since it seems clear it won't die outright, I want to know what it takes to get something more than the same rehashes and embarrassments. How hard will it be to shake up that status quo and get fresh blood and new ideas in there?

Currently? Probably hard. OK, that's likely not true. But then the devoted 50 fanboys of RT will scream and shout about how it's not true to the original, it goes against "Carl's vision", blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda; the usual fanboy nonsense. And then that treatment would likely never sell to the execs cuz it's not nostalgic enough and they won't be able to sell it to the dumb masses. It would be original (gasps) but no one would go for it.

Hey, at least Voltron had the decency to commit to making original animated content and follow through on it.

A new season of the original show, apparently animated by the original staff, and two more original serieses.

In that same time, Robotech did what? A TV movie scavenged from an aborted sequel, and then a direct-to-video movie of an aborted sequel twenty years later?

Yup, Voltrom had 26 original eps, & a vehicle meets lion movie during its first run. Voltron 3D during its 90's revival, and Whatever that last shitty series was called a couple years ago.

HG has wasted every opportunity possible in comparison. Their cockup of Love Live Alive looks like the final nail. The kickstarter project failed horribly, and the only DVD's their releasing now are burn to order DVD-R's.

HG has wasted every opportunity possible in comparison. Their cockup of Love Live Alive looks like the final nail. The kickstarter project failed horribly, and the only DVD's their releasing now are burn to order DVD-R's.

And yet people still appear to be buying that stuff.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Poor guy hasn't yet learned the difference between Macross and Robotech. Many of us were once that naive and ignorant.

What the hell did I just read?

:unsure:

let's set the record straight, Rick Hunter's jet was copied from a transformers plane called Jetfire.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

...and the only DVD's their releasing now are burn to order DVD-R's.

Not even that. Remember the Robotech Classic Collection from last summer? Dead in the water at just Volume 1 (first 18 episodes of Macross and Robotech).

Not even that. Remember the Robotech Classic Collection from last summer? Dead in the water at just Volume 1 (first 18 episodes of Macross and Robotech).

That could lead to an interesting parallel with the death of Streamline...

And before anyone says anything, yes, ADV also released both Macross & Robotech before they went under (even though they only changed their name and swapped offices).

Edited by Keith

And yet people still appear to be buying that stuff.

I find it funny that a franchise, when you think about it, as a product of the 80's having a lot of patriotic American overtones is these days trying to merchandise itself to hipsters. That alone will never get the franchise a dignified return in animation.

s

I don't know any of the details, but this feels like something that should be fan fiction art on DeviantArt "for fun", not actually published as a legitimate thing as if it were a good idea.

Like....

Alien vs Predator

Alien vs Judge Dredd

Alien vs Superman

Predator vs Superman

Zorro vs Django

Robocop vs Terminator

Transformers vs GI Joe

Archie vs Punisher

Ash and the Evil Dead vs Marvel Zombies

NFL Superpro vs Jackie Robinson?

No?

Well they all happened too.

Well except maybe NFL Superpro vs Jackie Robinson although I'm pretty sure it would have happened at some point had the comic been popular. :p

let's set the record straight, Rick Hunter's jet was copied from a transformers plane called Jetfire.

Psh. Shockwave would dismantle Sky/Jetfire like a knock-off set of Legos...

s

Like....

Alien vs Predator

Alien vs Judge Dredd

Alien vs Superman

Predator vs Superman

Zorro vs Django

Robocop vs Terminator

Transformers vs GI Joe

Archie vs Punisher

Ash and the Evil Dead vs Marvel Zombies

NFL Superpro vs Jackie Robinson?

No?

Well they all happened too.

Well except maybe NFL Superpro vs Jackie Robinson although I'm pretty sure it would have happened at some point had the comic been popular. :p

Wow. I admit, my experience with modern comics is reading stuff like Saga, The Wicked + The Divine, The Walking Dead and East of West, so I guess I didn't realize the old Dark Horse Aliens vs. Predator tipped off a craze that has now become a comic book institution and genre unto itself! :blink::(

Just because one done doesn't make it an excuse to do others. I haven't seen a lot of those crossovers but are you really going to pit Frank Miller's Robocop Vs. Terminator against Robotech vs. Voltron? I agree with Mr. March's initial assessment that the RT.vs Voltron books look and feel more like fanart and fanfic. There's probably a chance that such a crossover can be written to make more sense but it was just page after page of... "Look! It's Max in a Lion! How crazy is that?" exposition.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Psh. Shockwave would dismantle Sky/Jetfire like a knock-off set of Legos...

lol they should do a transformers robotech crossover

lol they should do a transformers robotech crossover

Please stop giving them ideas. And anyways, HG gave Hasbro a C&D for the Jetfire-colored Sky Striker SDCC-exclusive toy.

Archie vs Punisher

I used to have that comic. I think on the cover it said something along the line of "The crossover you never wanted to happen!"

Lol. This was the first attempt to bring Macross to the US... Hikaru was named Rick Yamato. Even with the awful theme, I would have loved to see the whole series.

The only comic I own is the original U.S. Macross comic with Rick Yamato and company. Horrible looking stuff.