Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

The only time an English release of Macross had superior BGM music was Manga Video's release of the last episode of Macross Plus: the original music in the dogfight, though nice, just doesn't have the same punchiness as the track Manga Video replaced it with (the track being reused from earlier in the series, if memory serves).

I totally agree that Robotech music was great for its time in the series, but the original tracks are that much better, and they have aged so much better.

• 1 month later...

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/robotech-movie-sony-tv-series-anime-1201460191/

Uhh.. guys... crap just got real:

Sony Takes Over ‘Robotech,’ Plans Film Franchise (EXCLUSIVE)

robotech.jpg?crop=0px%2C57px%2C640px%2C3

Sony Pictures has secured rights to the popular anime series “Robotech” and views the project as a potential film franchise.

The studio hopes to move quickly into production on the live-action feature, with Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton (“300,” “The Immortals”) producing and Michael Gordon (“300,” “GI Joe”) writing the script. The series centered on humanity’s use of robot technology to fend off alien invaders and has an “Independence Day” meets “Star Wars” vibe. It is seen as having the global appeal necessary to become a blockbuster property.

The project will be overseen at Sony Pictures by Sony Pictures Entertainment Group President Doug Belgrad, Columbia Pictures Production Chief Michael De Luca, and Sony Pictures Vice President of Creative Production Matthew Milam.

“‘Robotech’ is unique in that it has always been a marriage of spectacle with human characters that seem drawn from life,” said De Luca. “That’s why we are so excited to be working with Mark and Gianni as we move forward on this project. With a history that offers an epic love triangle, a renegade hero, and a world on the brink of extinction, ‘Robotech’ offers a wide scope and a rich and impressive universe where the story possibilities are endless.”

“Robotech” derives from a series of popular Japanese TV shows that made their way over to the United States in the 1980s, eventually inspiring books, role playing games, video games, toys and collectibles.

“I’m thrilled to be back in business with Sony Pictures and Gianni and I look forward to working with the studio on this global franchise-driven opportunity,” said Canton, who ran the studio in the 1990s. “‘Robotech’ is a very significant and legendary part of the growth of anime into the force that it is today, and we’re excited to be adapting it for modern audiences.”

The rights to the material had originally been at Warner Bros. with Tobey Maguire and Akiva Goldsman on board as producers. At various points the project attracted interest from the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio and commercial director Nic Mathieu, but the studio never moved forward with a feature film. When they became free, they were nabbed Canton’s Atmosphere and Nunnari’s Hollywood Gang labels, who recognized the incredible potential of this as a franchise with multi-generational appeal.

“When the rights to ‘Robotech’ became available we jumped; Mark and I knew it had what big movies in today’s world must have if they want to grab everyone: insane visuals and powerful themes,” said Nunnari. “The characters in ‘Robotech’ wrestle with both the destructive and redemptive powers of technology; nothing is more relevant today than that.”

Frank Agrama of Harmony Gold, which is the original intellectual property rights holder, will executive produce with Michael Gordon and Jehan Agrama.

The deal on behalf of Harmony Gold and the producers was negotiated by Ralph P Brescia of Bloom Hergott.

Edited by Gakken85

Unless Big West caves in and grants the Macross rights to Sony, I'm not worried about this at all. It will be a grand failure for Roboblech, not Macross. Maybe then they'll finally bury the franchise.

Guest davidwhangchoi

instead of voltron robotech crossover sony's going to make a Spiderman / Robotech crossover starring toby and ben affleck as rick hunter.

Doesn't matter. Macross designs are owned by Big West. If they want Kawamori to draw mechs specifically for Robotech, they have to pay him for the job of designing a non-Valk VF.

Doesn't matter. Macross designs are owned by Big West. If they want Kawamori to draw mechs specifically for Robotech, they have to pay him for the job of designing a non-Valk VF.

Right, as far as I understand, Big West owns the rights for the designs, so, no vf-1 or sdf-1 on this one, unless they reach an agreement (which I don't see it happening). On the other hand, if used correctly, this might be a chance to get Macross "out there".

I don't know..., I easily see this turning into a transformers price of crap so fast

Sony Japan does own Aniplex..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniplex

Wouldn't expect to see the Variable Fighter or even the Super Dimensional Fortress but I believe we should get mecha in the Japanese style..

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I fully expect my childhood to be raped given hollywoods' sterling record adapting other Japanese franchises.

Minmay will be played by a Miley Cyrus. Yeah, I went there.

Or they'll spend almost 8 years wasting people's time with overblown expectations as Warner Brothers appearantly now has. Shadow Rising was supposedly put on hiatus for what they were supposed to make.

They got 5 years to do something before the license renewal period comes. Start the clock.

Beat you by a minute haha

I wonder what this will mean for new toy rights. I'm sure if they make films they will make toys.

Seems like Harmony gold is out of the picture????

Only 'cause I was stumbling around trying to find this stoopid thread, LOL!!!