Live-action Robotech Movie

zulu

I vaguely remember talk about an SDF-2, and I think I've even seen pictures about it (maybe it was in the Robotech comics?) but I have absolutely no recollection of another Macross in SFD Macross, let alone one getting destroyed.

But I swear I've got this image in my mind from somewhere.....what does it look like? Can anyone help me out with this vague memory?

The SDF-2 only "exists" in Robotech. If I'm not mistaken, it's supposed to look just like the SDF-1 and was resting behind the Macross, back to back; all this was purely inplied in dialogue as there was nothing ever shown, for obvious reasons, other than one scene where what is called the SDF-2 is shown listing after being hit in Kyron's last attack -- of course in the original this was actually the SDF-1 itself.

hahaha, The SDF-2 exists only in the mind of Carl Macek.

The animation shows the bridge bunnies and Misa working in another part of the Macross, after the space war. When the Macross was supposed to stay still with half of its body inside water; they are located in another part of the SDF-1, they work there as a dispatch for several missions.

I guess Carl Macek thought the setting was a bit confusing hence, I believe, he came up with the idea they were inside another ship, the SDF-2. It is all RT nonsense.

The Robotech novels also mentioned the SDF-2 as resting back-to-back with the SDF-1. They did it a little more elegantly in the novels though, as I recall they established the existence of the SDF-2 quite a bit before the end of the Macross saga. In the show, it only existed in dialogue, and even then it's not mentioned until the last episode, when Rick abruptly starts addressing the SDF-2 over the radio during Khyron's attack. I remember watching that episode as a kid and thinking "SDF-2? WTF??? What SDF-2?"

The SDF-2 only "exists" in Robotech. If I'm not mistaken, it's supposed to look just like the SDF-1 and was resting behind the Macross, back to back; all this was purely inplied in dialogue as there was nothing ever shown, for obvious reasons, other than one scene where what is called the SDF-2 is shown listing after being hit in Kyron's last attack -- of course in the original this was actually the SDF-1 itself.

There's an unseen SDF-2 in the Macross Universe, it ended up becoming the Megaroad-01

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/sdf2.htm

Google my friend. This ship was definitely not in the animation:

sdf2-sizecomparison.gif

And I knew I'd seen this image before. It was in the Robotech comic:

SDF2_go_boom.png

Tms_36f.jpg

Tms_36e.jpg

SDF-2_Not_there.JPG

Edited by peter

Ooops sorry. I pasted the wrong link. Like I said, the one in the Macross Universe is unseen. It was being built in lunar orbit.

I remember them mentioning it in RT. I never realized it was suppose to be behind the SDF-1... lol. I never kept up with anything beyond the cartoon. Tried reading the novels but they put me to sleep. I'm in the same boat as SuperSempai... when they mentioned it in the cartoon, I was like WTF? Totally pulled that out of their asses.

Great idea to construct a new space bound transformable battleship right next to the first one... in a man made lake... in its robot form initially.

Yeah yeah, convoluted explanation to connect Southern Cross to Macross and whatnot back when this was taken seriously.

Why would they build another ship right behind the other...in the same pool of water??? Why? Don't answer that. I know the answer. "Cuz it's Robotech."

And to bring this slightly in line with the thread, that would be something they could address in a movie. :lol:

I think the going theory was they were building the SDF-2 behind the SDF-1 because they were using most of the SDF-1 to build the SDF-2 (ie the major components). The SDF-1 was being left behind as a battle damaged shell and monument. You could certainly have an alien attack destroy humanity's second attempt at making a space fortress in the Robotech movie... Heck, the name Khyron is in play for a Robotech movie so you could have him launch an attack against the humans and destroy the equivalent SDF-2 at any point (no real need to wait until a reconstruction portion of the film... since the film almost certainly wouldn't extend to reconstruction.

Hm.

I've never been able to understand why some other Robotech fans can't just accept a continuity error or bad ass-covering for what they are. I know that nerds like to gnaw over small topics endlessly, and I'm guilty of that, too, but I don't see the fun in this particular bone-gnawing. The SDF-2 isn't in the original animation, etc.

I don't have even a grain of faith or interest in seeing this film made, and can't help but think if it did, it would be "Hollywood-ized" and leave out the sweeter, more idealistic aspects of the parent anime. I'm trying *not* to pre-judge mainstream science fiction movie-making in the US, but it's hard.

Hm.

I've never been able to understand why some other Robotech fans can't just accept a continuity error or bad ass-covering for what they are. I know that nerds like to gnaw over small topics endlessly, and I'm guilty of that, too, but I don't see the fun in this particular bone-gnawing. The SDF-2 isn't in the original animation, etc.

It reinforces the fact that Robotech is just 3 shows forcefully put together by foreigners for various post-post-production reasons? Also, a Hollywood movie will let them get away with this fact even more?

"Amazing"...?

Were you looking at the same comics I was...?

Although the Robotech Comics certainly had their blotchy spots the last 12 issues or so of Macross Saga were generally excellent art wise. There was one issue that was done by a guest artist in that batch though - and it was as dreadful as most of the previous ones up till then. The first FT comic (when it was still Macross) was excellent as well.

Although the Robotech Comics certainly had their blotchy spots the last 12 issues or so of Macross Saga were generally excellent art wise. There was one issue that was done by a guest artist in that batch though - and it was as dreadful as most of the previous ones up till then. The first FT comic (when it was still Macross) was excellent as well.

Adequate, certainly. Excellent...? Maybe we just have different standards...

"Amazing"...?

Were you looking at the same comics I was...?

At that time I felt that Mike Leeke of all American Macross artists actually captured the look and style of the Macross Saga. Maybe his art work suffered some because of lousy inking but characters and mecha designs were spot on. I thought Svea Macek's Macross adaption one-shot was a good to.

Why would they build another ship right behind the other...in the same pool of water??? Why? Don't answer that. I know the answer. "Cuz it's Robotech."

And to bring this slightly in line with the thread, that would be something they could address in a movie. :lol:

Maybe Carl Macek got the idea in part from Space Battleship Yamato? Haven't seen the show in years, but I vaguely remember love the Yamato spaceship was built/remodelled right underneath the remains of the WWII Yamato. Too bad we will never get a chance to ask Carl himself, but its a thought.

Edited by Freiflug88

Maybe Carl Macek got the idea in part from Space Battleship Yamato? Haven't seen the show in years, but I vaguely remember love the Yamato spaceship was built/remodelled right underneath the remains of the WWII Yamato. Too bad we will never get a chance to ask Carl himself, but its a thought.

That's weird... in the old Yamato series, the spaceship IS the old battleship, but in the new 2199 series, the spaceship was indeed built under the battleship.

That's weird... in the old Yamato series, the spaceship IS the old battleship, but in the new 2199 series, the spaceship was indeed built under the battleship.

Doubly odd, as the impressions I got from the manga adaptation of the 2199 series is that the spaceship IS the old battleship...

Im kind of surprised Macross itself hasnt had the live action treatment in Japan yet. I mean they have done other popular shows like Yamato,Kenshin,NaNa,Death Note etc and Macross has carried its popularity quite strongly throughout the years so I wonder if Japan ever thought about Live action at some stage.

Im kind of surprised Macross itself hasnt had the live action treatment in Japan yet. I mean they have done other popular shows like Yamato,Kenshin,NaNa,Death Note etc and Macross has carried its popularity quite strongly throughout the years so I wonder if Japan ever thought about Live action at some stage.

There was a live action movie in development called Macross: Final Outpost Earth that was going to be loosely based on DYRL. For reasons unknown the project was shelved..

There were plans for one in the early '90s... it never came to fruition (probably thankfully).

EDIT: Ninja'd by Terry...

Edited by Gubaba

With 2199 the creators are trying to keep a fair amount of realism, and where this concerns the real Yamato wreck they had to make the change. When the wreck was rediscovered a few years ago it was fully surveyed and the ship is not in good condition. as the ship started to sink it capsized causing the main gun turrets to dislodge and fall off as contrary to popular belief the cannons aren't bolted on. Just after submergence the B turret's magazine blew tearing the ship in half and completely obliterating the ship's citadel. All that's left of the ship is the bow ending just aft of Turret A's mount pointing skyward, and the stern ending half way through Turret C's mount upside down in the mud.

With 2199 the creators are trying to keep a fair amount of realism, and where this concerns the real Yamato wreck they had to make the change. When the wreck was rediscovered a few years ago it was fully surveyed and the ship is not in good condition. as the ship started to sink it capsized causing the main gun turrets to dislodge and fall off as contrary to popular belief the cannons aren't bolted on. Just after submergence the B turret's magazine blew tearing the ship in half and completely obliterating the ship's citadel. All that's left of the ship is the bow ending just aft of Turret A's mount pointing skyward, and the stern ending half way through Turret C's mount upside down in the mud.

Be that as it may, I'm just saying it's weird that Freiflug88 is remembering the NEW series rather than the OLD series.

Wait two SDF ships. One of them a ship that won every battle both lost in combat against a single ship of Khyron.

Man characters are incompetent in Robotech.

Possibly, but for me (the lone vocal Robotech fan on the boards *powerfist*) is that Kyhron's success made the last half of the series worthwhile. Because he did so much damage, caused so much destruction, killed so many main characters, it validated the threat he presented throughout.

In Macross, all his actions amount to very little since the Macross is rebuilt, the city isn't damaged, the main characters all survive... I find that kind of ending rather anticlimactic and unsavoury. Kyhron made a lasting effect with his plans, Kamezin (sp?) did not.

Possibly, but for me (the lone vocal Robotech fan on the boards *powerfist*) is that Kyhron's success made the last half of the series worthwhile. Because he did so much damage, caused so much destruction, killed so many main characters, it validated the threat he presented throughout.

In Macross, all his actions amount to very little since the Macross is rebuilt, the city isn't damaged, the main characters all survive... I find that kind of ending rather anticlimactic and unsavoury. Kyhron made a lasting effect with his plans, Kamezin (sp?) did not.

I thought Kamezin's actions became the inspiration for militaristic Zentradi against Humans and the alliance for decades afterwards in other source material.

Wait two SDF ships. One of them a ship that won every battle both lost in combat against a single ship of Khyron.

Man characters are incompetent in Robotech.

One of the ships did not have an engine. In either show the inability to detect Khyron/Kamezin (I thought that had a J somewhere though) is really an intelligence failure of the highest order. The thing is the size of a small (large?) town for crying out loud, and it flew in from the equator or something close to that.

• 2 weeks later...