saw last night and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It truly captures the spirit, look and feel of the original trilogy and has very little to do with the prequels.

Having said that, it still has some small faults that made me feel like Abrams could have done more with this baby

I think Abrams played it too safe with the story. We basically got a redo of Star Wars on so many levels. I think that while the ‘less is more’ approach worked, they could have fleshed out some characters a bit more and like someone mentioned above, have a bit more of an explanation of how there was a ‘Resistance’, a ‘Republic’ and ‘First Order’ at the same time. Some new technology would have been nice as well.

Another thing I felt could have been handled better was the First Order. They weren’t as effective an antagonist as the Empire was in the original trilogy. I never felt a sense of overpowering might from them. They simply didn’t scare me at all. For all the size of their cannon, they felt for the lack of the better word as amateurs and it really didn’t take too much effort or too many elements to defeat them. Heck the Resistance hardly had any casualties. Well, but boy did the ones they have count.

I really liked Rey and Finn and look forward to seeing more of them in the next episodes.

The ending was absolutely perfect. Loved it.

I finally saw this movie I have been waiting for years and and am not sure about my overall impression. I did like it but I just picked quite a few things out that bothered me. Of course I also was on no sleep for 27 hrs.

1 finn. I they tried to make him a jumpy kind of comic release character in the beginning of the film and while not as bad as jar jar binks gave me the vibe. He got better as the movie went but I still don't like all his "safe" quips to try and force humor. And no way he would last one swipe with the light saber against a sith in training.

2. Rey I thought she did a very good job. This sudden use of the force seemed quick but I guess can be explained. I also have a hard time believing she would have a chance against a sith in training with a light saber despite her prior use of a staff.

3 kylo. Liked his voice. Seems like he's going to be a cool character.

4. I though Harrison ford did a great job.

5. Poe. Not sold on the whole charming pilot ace.

6. So excited to see Luke. Even with minimal screen time.

7. I did have trouble getting emotionally involved in the dog fight scenes. Seemed hard to follow.

8. Also wasn't so excited about the lights saber battles

I'm sure I could add a few more things but need to get more sleep. Going back tonight fully rested and see how I feel about it.

Loved it, Loved it, loved it!

I agree with the sentiments already expressed. Movie has some issues, but they are never enough to ruin the movie....just little things here and there. I pretty much agree with Duke particularly on his rankings. Not quite as good as Empire or ANH (though ANH) does have its originality helping it a lot) but deffinately better than the rest. Just because it's #3 to me in no way means this was a let down. ;)

I agree that a little more fleshing out of some characters would have been nice, but with so much to do I can understand the less is more approach. I'm confident we'll get more in the sequels. As much as I LOVED seeing the original cast, I found I really, REALLY liked the newcomers. Rey, Finn, BB-8 are so wonderful. Kylo Ren is a fantastic baddie too.

My biggest Nit-pick

was at the end when they returned to base...Chewie and Leah, the 2 people closest to Han, just walk right past each other. No hug or embrace, no acknowledgment of their loss, she just goes to Rey....a person she has never seen. I get that Rey is Probably Luke's kid but still. I think it would have worked so much better if She and Chewie would have shared a moment with Rey watching silently, before she approaches Rey.

Chris

my only gripe was

Dealing with Starkiller base was too fast, it was immensely powerful but a few X-Wings and boom,new sun. was over and done with no real build up,saying that though, it was still cool.

Well of course.

Abrams spent a good deal of the movie arguably plaugerizing Episode 4 so he had to have that.

In any case, despite my criticism of zero imagination or innovation brought forth by Abrams and his team, I enjoyed this movie thoroughly; it "felt" like Star Wars so much that the blatant stroking of the fanboi in me didn't mind that it was happening in the first place. I will watch this movie repeatedly, as often as I can, and will anxiously await its home release which, knowing my luck, won't be until next Thanksgiving.

BTW I thought Anakin Skywalker was bad, but Kylo Ren is the galaxy's new man-b**ch. Someone get him a tampon, stat...

Are you confused about the whole Republic/Resistance/First Order thing as I am? Well, I did a little research into the political situation in the galaxy far, far away, and what follows is my best guess/approximation from what little information in available (mainly wiki explanations of plots from the new Star Wars books/comics and interviews with Abrams and company). No movie spoilers are contained in this post.

One year after the Battle of Endor the Battle of Jakku takes place. It's a decisive victory for the New Republic over the bulk of the remaining Imperial Forces. A treaty is signed, and what we would once have called the Imperial Remnant is scatted among unimportant backwater worlds and the Outer Rim, disorganized and with no real power--or the ability to project power--outside of a single planet or system. Cut off from the resources and trade of the Republic, it is expected that most of these remnant forces will eventually capitulate, and it doesn't appear the Republic has any further desire to wage war against them to force the issue.

So, where do the First Order and Resistance come into play? The Resistance is a paramilitary organization that continues the fight against the remaining Imperial forces scattered throughout the galaxy. They are led by some of the most dedicated fighters from the Rebellion, with tacit support from the Republic. Their forces are small, but they have a strong intelligence network and can strike quickly. It's essentially war by proxy. Another way to look at it is the Mossad hunting down and capturing escaped Nazis using extralegal means in the years after WW2. While there is some grousing about violations of sovereignty and whatnot, the U.N. doesn't do more than give Israel a slap on the wrist, because who likes Nazis? There's also some U.S./Soviet Union Cold War in the mix, but Abrams and company were mainly thinking Nazis. Now imagine after WW2 some of those Nazis who had escaped capture and prosecution reformed their leadership in Argentina, and began building a small power-base there. That's the First Order. They have a base, a handful of capital ships, and a small army they have begun to train and indoctrinate. While they aren't enough of a threat to push the Republic to action, they are definitely on the Resistance's radar. And then spoilers...

This may not be totally accurate, but it's what I could piece together with the information currently available.

Edited by Duke Togo

I posted this on another board back in Oct. it was just my speculation and basically says the same things.

"Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way. We keep assuming after Endor everything went to crap, as in there was a power vacume. What if a new government did form in the central systems like Curascant, but out-lying systems were still held by the Empire. A Cold War of sorts eventually forms and the systems that still fell under "Imperial" rule....now called the First Order....experience a form of "media black-out" in which the events of the past 15-20 years (at the time) are covered up or changed in a way that supports what the newly christened First Order wants. The "New Republic" (for lack of a better name) now unofficially backs a new Rebellion...aka the Resistance....by supplying them with weapons ect, since they don't want to plunge the whole Galaxy back into war. The Resistance is then trying to gather support in the First Order ruled systems but find the people ignorant of the past and too afraid or unwilling to help. Fast forward to 30 years after Endor, The First Order is now making their Ultimate Weapon of revenge that can destroy the New Republuc at its heart. A weapon that can destroy the entire Curuscant system and the New Republic with it.

That would Work for me, and much of what I just wrote actually happens right here on Planet Earth. Also, that was not a spoiler just what I'm thinking COULD be"

Chris

I posted this on another board back in Oct. it was just my speculation and basically says the same things.

"Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way. We keep assuming after Endor everything went to crap, as in there was a power vacume. What if a new government did form in the central systems like Curascant, but out-lying systems were still held by the Empire. A Cold War of sorts eventually forms and the systems that still fell under "Imperial" rule....now called the First Order....experience a form of "media black-out" in which the events of the past 15-20 years (at the time) are covered up or changed in a way that supports what the newly christened First Order wants. The "New Republic" (for lack of a better name) now unofficially backs a new Rebellion...aka the Resistance....by supplying them with weapons ect, since they don't want to plunge the whole Galaxy back into war. The Resistance is then trying to gather support in the First Order ruled systems but find the people ignorant of the past and too afraid or unwilling to help. Fast forward to 30 years after Endor, The First Order is now making their Ultimate Weapon of revenge that can destroy the New Republuc at its heart. A weapon that can destroy the entire Curuscant system and the New Republic with it.

That would Work for me, and much of what I just wrote actually happens right here on Planet Earth. Also, that was not a spoiler just what I'm thinking COULD be"

Chris

That's the general idea, but I don't think the First Order has all that much power, and I think the Republic is very much like our U.N.--there are many voices with many agendas, and unless the First Order (or another Imperial remnant) does something really heinous, you aren't going to move the collective civilized galaxy to action.

BTW I thought Anakin Skywalker was bad, but Kylo Ren is the galaxy's new man-b**ch. Someone get him a tampon, stat...

You could not have misread or misunderstood Kylo Ren more than you have. That's a shame, as he might be the best character in the new movie. Adam Driver did a brilliant job.

Edited by Duke Togo

Are you confused about the whole Republic/Resistance/First Order thing as I am? Well, I did a little research into the political situation in the galaxy far, far away, and what follows is my best guess/approximation from what little information in available (mainly wiki explanations of plots from the new Star Wars books/comics and interviews with Abrams and company). No movie spoilers are contained in this post.

Duke, did you cull this from the Shattered Empire comics? Was there more information that you found elsewhere?

Anyways, I think your analysis is spot on.

You could not have misread or misunderstood Kylo Ren more than you have. That's a shame, as he might be the best character in the new movie. Adam Driver did a brilliant job.

Driver did indeed perform brilliantly, but if we're going to use the OT/original movies as the obvious template for the new material, then I can't help but compare the old villains against the new.

Darth Vader, Palatine and hell let's say even Tyranus were powerful men with agendas and held fast to t hem. They didn't break down and throw temper tantrums when they didn't get their way, and they certainly didn't mope around the galaxy with their personal issues. I know they're trying to exhibit a tortured, conflicted young man who may be just starting out his life as a villain, but in my own opinion the character came off as a weak, sniveling, tempestuous brat compared to the old guard. Furthermore, how is it that two people who have presumably never held a light saber in their entire lives are able to stand up against the film's main antagonist? One of whom was able to turn the tables of the force on that same villain, AND extract a superficial read on that villain's inner fears? Everything about the character is just weak to me...

Edited by myk

Just a little tip, there are no post credit scenes so you don't have to stay for all the credits if you don't want to.

Why wouldn't you stay? The music is as much a character in Star Wars as anything else. You'd be walking out on part of the story as far as I'm concerned.

Saw the film last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I concur on it weakness (too similar to one of the OG trilogies in terms of story beats), but good nonetheless.

I did like Drivers performance. You could feel his conflict.

I loved Han Solo, and Oscar Isaac made me want to own an X-wing!

I enjoyed it quite thoroughly, going again tonight at 7.

Some minor dislikes:

Actual spoilers inside, read at your own risk.

Phasma was a waste. Totally and utterly. Don't know whether or not J.J. was trying to make her the new Boba Fett or what. Either way, wasted. (so far?)

Max Von Sidow must have called in a favor to be part of this. He left me with more questions than I wanted. Perhaps maybe it will be fleshed out. I hope.

Starkiller base was....dumb. I didn't feel anything about it. Good, bad, scary, ominous. Nothing.

Not sure if I was feeling how quickly Rey picked up her abilities. Regardless of how troubled Ren was, she turned the tables on who we see as an incredibly powerful force user. It felt really rushed. Then again, if she IS Luke's daughter(Anakin's lightsaber calling to her, hearing the younglings it murdered, seeing Luke mourning in the past, all leads me to believe she is in fact a Skywalker), she's incredibly powerful by default, just lacking skill. The lightsaber battle is very emotional, she uses the Obi-Wan VS Maul/Luke VS Vader ROTJ anger there. We will see how well they portray her later.

Edit: Also quite annoyed that the Duracell commercial from a MONTH ago was a mega spoiler. Yeah, we don't know until it actually happens, but it was glaring.

Edited by Chewie

I watched it today!

It was the most Star Wars movie that has Star Wars'ed in the last 20 years!

Totally worth watching more than once!

My minor dislike was that I could not go as a group of Star Wars fans to see this movie!

I only saw two other people dressed up as jedi.

Other than that, I am very pleased with JJ and the gang's efforts!

I couldn't disagree more - considering the character's backstory, I'm surprised he looked the way he did. The helmet was pretty ridiculous, too.

Not sure that Mark Hamill had to appear in this episode at all...

My minor dislike was that I could not go as a group of Star Wars fans to see this movie!

I only saw two other people dressed up as jedi.

Count yourself lucky. I saw it in a room full of nerds who couldn't shut up. They were loud and obnoxious and desperate for attention.

I couldn't disagree more - considering the character's backstory, I'm surprised he looked the way he did. The helmet was pretty ridiculous, too.

Not sure that Mark Hamill had to appear in this episode at all...

I take it this is your first Star Wars movie.

Anyway, the movie was even better after a second viewing. Some of my criticisms upon the first viewing melted away. I love it even more now. I brought my family along for this viewing, and they loved it as well. Except maybe my much younger half brother, who wanted to know where Asoka was.

Edited by Duke Togo

Duke, did you see it in 3D?

No, I won't touch 3D unless a movie is filmed using 3D cameras. I don't like conversion jobs.

Not sure if I'll see it again tomorrow or not. I have a lot going on this weekend. I'm already making plans to see it multiple times next week, though.

1) ESB

2) ANH

3) ROTJ

4) ROTS

5) TFA

6) AOTC

7) TPM

It was better than 2/3 of the prequel trilogy.

The main villians in TFA were the weakest ever portrayed in a Star Wars film. In fact, there really hasn't been weaker villians since ep. 3 Dooku. Hopefully, that will change in Ep. 8.

Best thing about Ep 7 was Luke, Han and Chewie. Which means eveyone else needs to step it up on the next episode. Based on the final scene without one word spoken by Luke....and basically stealing the whole movie....I'm feeling much better about ep 8.

The music was also forgettable....possibly the worst part about the film.

And what was with projecting such a huge hologram of Snoke? Pointless.

TFA is essentially TPM of the sequel trilogy....just one big build up to the final scene.... But unlike TPM...a scene that was worth the 2 hour wait....

I take it this is your first Star Wars movie.

Anyway, the movie was even better after a second viewing. Some of my criticisms upon the first viewing melted away. I love it even more now. I brought my family along for this viewing, and they loved it as well. Except maybe my much younger half brother, who wanted to know where Asoka was.

Yeah, something like that.

I will re-watch it - I hope the impressions change.

The way the final scene was filmed (that whole scene could've been the start of Ep VIII) was so un-Star Wars that it undid a lot of the build up for me.

Found this on Reddit. Helps clarify the political situation a bit. Awakens spoilers within.

The New Republic was formed after the Battle of Endor with the signing of the Galactic Concordance. Mon Mothma was elected chancellor (they don't use the term "supreme chancellor" anymore) and they established the New Republic capital on Chandrila, Mon Mothma's homeworld. In the span between Aftermath and TFA, the New Republic has demilitarized to a state significantly smaller than during the Clone Wars, but the Republic fleet is the largest in the galaxy. The current chancellor cares more about trade regulations than the First Order (lel) and, oh yeah, the Republic capital and Senate change planets rather frequently by popular vote. Leia's reputation is tarnished in the Senate, because people think she's kind of crazy, so her "in" is the black woman we see in Maz's castle (correct me if I'm wrong). The Resistance IS a legitimate part of the Republic (begrudgingly), though and is no longer a "rebellion" because the term "rebellion" implies that the rebels are fighting against the established regime. So while the Rebellion of the OT is fighting against the powers-that-be, the Empire, the Resistance is fighting a fringe group on the edges of Wild Space.

The Hosnian System, which Starkiller Base eradicated in Awakens, was the current seat of the Republic. There was a loss in leadership and a chunk of the fleet when it went blewy.

Apparently, this information can be found in Aftermath and the Visual Dictionary. To be honest, it bothers me when they try to force you to buy their non-movie products to understand the story of the film. Dick move by Lucasfilm and Disney.

Edited by Duke Togo

Found this on Reddit. Helps clarify the political situation a bit. Awakens spoilers within.

Haven't even watched this yet (next week, after the weekend rush) and it feels like backstory needs to be inserted to make some sense. I'll find out next week.

... To be honest, it bothers me when they try to force you to buy their non-movie products to understand the story of the film. Dick move by Lucasfilm and Disney.

Information from the novelization clears some things up, and adds some others:

The opening is Leia wondering where Luke is and trying to call out to him that she needs him.

-Snoke mentions having seen the Empire rise and fall.

-Leia is informed of the FO’s attack on Jakku and Poe’s assumed death. She is upset and does not want the FO to find Luke before they do. She knows that BB-8 is still missing so she asks 3PO to activate his tracker to find him. She then sends her envoy to the Senate in the Hosnian system to ask for help, explaining that she cannot go herself because while she still has friends there she would likely have an unfortunate “accident” because many there do not like her.

-There is a scene with 3PO talking to the low power R2 where he is basically talking to himself but asking what R2 would do, because he forgot to activate BB-8’s tracker before he left on the mission. He decides to send a message to all active Resistance droids to be on the lookout for BB-8.

-We get a scene of Poe waking up after the crash. He has a concussion and it turns out that he got out of the TIE after crash landing it and wandered away before collapsing and it’s just bad luck that Finn didn’t find him. There’s a whole sequence where he meets a scavenger who decides to help him and then they are attacked by other scavengers and Poe pilots a speeder showing off his skills again to get away.

-Unkar Plutt finds Rey at Maz’s Castle. He found them because he had a homing device on the Falcon. Rey tries to use her blaster on him but the safety is on. Chewie intervenes and tears Plutt’s arm off. It’s at this point that a droid sees BB-8 and sends a message to the Resistance.

-Then there’s a quick scene with 3PO receiving the message and informing Leia of BB-8’s whereabouts. These 3PO scenes are both good but I think I prefer his first appearance in the movie.

-A scene of Leia being informed of the the destruction of the Hosnian system and feeling the deaths of all the people in the Force. And she thinks about how no one should be subjected to the death of an entire world but she had been subjected to two and she would not allow it to happen again.

-Also, it’s not as easily seen in the sky above the Castle. That was one of my problems with the movie was that it made it appear that they were in the same system.

-Confirmed Han and Leia are husband and wife.

-General Hux launches something called seekers to take out the attacking X-Wings on Starkiller Base. He’s warned that they will take down TIEs too but he claims that collateral damage will be necessary to win.

-There’s a chase sequence involving the stolen snow speeder that Rey and Finn use to get to the oscillator.

-Kylo Ren removing his mask for Han is the first time Han has seen his son as a grown man. Also, Han debated leaving without confronting him but didn’t because he wanted to fulfill Leia’s request.

-Poe does not fly into the oscillator and there is no “trench run”. His pilots simply bomb the hole that the detonators exposed.

-Hux rescues Kylo Ren and could have taken Finn and Rey but there was no time and his instructions from Snoke took precedence. He assumed they would die there anyways.

-The doctor tells Rey that Finn will be fine although he is in a medically induced coma and nothing is certain until he fully recovers.

-R2 has the rest of the map because he catalogued the Imperial archives. He overheard a discussion of how Kylo Ren had said that they held the rest of the map because it was in the archives. He then powers up and displays the map.

-Rey has a conversation with Leia before she leaves where Leia promises her that she will not share the fate of her son.

-Rey extends the lightsaber towards Luke as an offer and a plea because he’s the galaxy’s only hope. She wonders what will happen next.

I assume we'll see some of this in the 20 minutes of deleted scenes on the blu-ray. Also, this totally refutes what I posted about that "convenient" event.

Edited by Duke Togo