Just got back from watching it on IMAX this morning. And yes, this film is a worthy successor to the Original Trilogy. As mentioned by other critics, the use of practical effects gives the film a more natural feel than any of the prequel films. And unlike the Prequel Trilogy's use of acrobatic spamming, the light saber fights here rely mainly on basic hack-and-slash instincts like Return of the Jedi. John Boyega and Daisy Ridley deliver brilliant performances as FN-2187 "Finn" and Rey, respectively. Oscar Isaac's portrayal of Poe Dameron has callbacks to the Original Trilogy's Wedge Antilles, but with a bit of Bruce Campbell badassness to boot. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is arguably the most feared villain in the franchise since Darth Vader. BB-8 may very well be the best robotic character in any sci-fi film. But of all the new cast members, Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma stands out the most. Imagine a female Boba Fett, and you have Captain Phasma.

And how can you not talk about The Force Awakens without the original cast? It's great to see Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, Admiral Ackbar, and the Millennium Falcon. But by God... Mark Hamill gives his best performance ever as Luke Skywalker. It goes to show that he was born to play the role and that he's a Skywalker for life.

In terms of ranking, here's how I see it:

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

2. Star Wars (1977)

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

4. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)

5. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

6. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

7. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)

So she has no significant role in the movie gets killed by accident and is a fan favorite character due to unknown reasons? ^_^

Please don't answer it, I still have to see the movie after Christmas and already cut down my surfing habits to avoid spoiler. Hanging out in this thread might be already too much if someone forgets to use the

-tags. :D

Looking forward to tonight....though some ASS HAT on SSM posted major spoilers in semi-vague way. Thank you MW members who have seen it for being respectful to the rest of us and just stating simply whether you liked it or not.

Chris

Did not read any of the last two pages but if you are seeing the movie this weekend or have seen the movie already in regions that have released it use spoiler tags to discuss the movie for at least a week. Don't be a DuelGundam2099!!!! I'll be back in this thread Saturday at the earliest. Ignoring this thread until then starting now.

Tl;dr. Use Spoiler Tags or risk mod wrath.

My thoughts post viewing

+2 for essentially giving the finger to the prequels and just being better than them

-1 for super weapon rehash just BIGGER!!!

+1 for great acting all around

+1 for overall story

-1 for crappy cgi acrobatic video game style fighter battle. Endor still stands supreme.

-1 for everyone flying the same type of fighter. hell the original had X and Y wings

-2 for bad cgi supreme leader kim jong snoak and even showing him in the first place.

+1 for letting the fat pilot live!

+1 for no explosion ring

Overall better than the prequels, but not on ESB's level.

The Force Awakens IS Star Wars. Every inch of it. It looks like it, it acts like it, and it feels like it. I'm talking OT here, folks, not the prequels--Awakens is the real deal. It's wonderful and thrilling and it leaves you needing more. The performances were excellent across the board, with Adam Driver being a real stand out. He's flat out fantastic. And this is the most life I've seen in a Harrison Ford performance since... my god, I don't even know.

Is the film perfect? No, but it hardly matters. It is Star Wars.

Criticisms in a spoiler box for spoilers (duh) and to not color anyone's opinion before seeing it for themselves.

- There is not an ounce of fat on this film, but that's not necessarily a good thing. The characters, their relationships, and the plot needed more room to breath. Even at 2 1/2 hours the film flies by. Another half an hour would have been perfectly fine, and likely welcome.

- I don't understand the political situation in the galaxy at all. There is a Republic, but also a First Order and a Resistance? I don't get it.

- John Williams's score is a tad underwhelming. It's solid enough, but it doesn't stand out, or enhance the action/drama like you would expect it to.

- I don't recall seeing any lens flares, but I also don't recall seeing any transitional wipes or dissolves. Star Wars needs to have wipes and dissolves!

- The fat pilot lived. Clearly, this is incorrect.

Edited by Duke Togo

Just got back from seeing it a second time. Picked up on a few things I missed out on from the first session.

Not interested in comparing it to the others. Just wondering, what has been the best franchise comeback this year. Force Awakens or Fury Road?

Just got back from seeing it a second time. Picked up on a few things I missed out on from the first session.

Not interested in comparing it to the others. Just wondering, what has been the best franchise comeback this year. Force Awakens or Fury Road?

You forgot Creed

Just got back from The Force Awakens. It had a lot of the problems I feared it would suffer and was more than a little predictable. Like Abrams other work, it fails to take chances with it's plot and sticks far too close to the material from which it originated rather than blazing it's own trail. But something amazing happens in this movie that for me not only transcended it's faults, it became a great film; it's just pure Star Wars joy. Every minute of this movie beams with life. It has humor, heart and hope to burn across light years. This is an inspired piece of filmmaking, with everything hitting it's stride to make for an amazing whole. The characterizations are interesting and empathetic, the performances are lightining all across the board, the cinematography is mind blowing, the sets are otherworldly, the production design is vibrant, the creatures are creative, the action is thrilling and dynamic, the fighting was down, dirty, rough and real. the special effects were a wonder to behold, the editing runs like a race horse you just can't stop, BB-88 will melt your cold, dead soul. I am still reeling from the shock of how this movie grabbed me and wouldn't let go in spite of it's failings.

There is more heart, character and life in the first 10 minutes of this film than almost the ENTIRE prequel trilogy.

Bravo to the entire cast; Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson and Gwendoline Christie. These six actors just killed it onscreen and made the characters of Star Wars burst alive for the first time in decades. They have become the embodiment of a new and diverse generation in both the film and our own culture and I'm honored to see this play out in one of the biggest and most entertaining films in a year filled with great filmmaking. Surprised in spite of myself. What a treat!

This was Harrison Ford's best acting in years, amazed and glad it happened in this.

Boyega and Ridley did great. Isaac did too, but if you've seen him in anything else before you already know he's really good.

There is one problem with so much realism (sets, ships, etc)-----the CGI *really* stands out against it. Like "the big aliens" and pretty much any alien with a speaking role. Would have rather seen good prosthetics or puppets. ESB Yoda is still the most real-looking alien in the series. (Excluding Chewie of course).

Due to demand, my theater expanded showings to use 11 of the 20 screens tonight simultaneously.

No offense, but shouldn't that post have spoiler tags, lol.

Did you have to wait in line a long time to see it, or did you have reserved seats?

Having just seen it, unless he saw a very different film than I, I think he's trolling us. So don't worry about spoilers.