Well, I think most people can accept that they are older, just not THAT old, haha! Looks like life has been chewing on his face. Deage to middle age maybe, at least so they don't look like they're living in the Jedi Retirement Centre as senior citizens of the republic.

Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing were both in their 60's when they made Star Wars. I don't really see the issue, but maybe that.s just me. :)

Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing were both in their 60's when they made Star Wars. I don't really see the issue, but maybe that.s just me. :)

Yeah, that's true. Their characters were supposed to be older though, but I see your point. VII could pick up long after the original characters are past their prime and in their senior years. I just remember some images from some comic books that portrayed Luke (shortly after Jedi and they looked pretty cool) that looked more mature, but still very powerful. I think he was standing in front of a fallen AT-At.

Strong with the forks he is....

Yup, while Fisher and Ford can be "de-aged" with a little CGI magic and makeup, the problem with Hamill isn't so much his age as much as his girth. There's little one can do for Luke Skygorger over here short of going full CG on him.

Either that, or they could make him more of a Yoda-type character; jovial and jolly, but strong with the force and able to kick ass despite his age and weight. Kinda like a Caucasian Sammo Hung in Jedi robes and a light saber.

Edited by GU-11

I think like most things right now (and as pointed out in this posting), there is some kernel of truth to it because Lucasfilm is literally kicking the tires on everything. Throw it at the wall, see what sticks.

Anyway, fun rumor worth sharing:

Is Lucasfilm developing a KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC project?

"Hey folks, Harry here... Consider this a rumor at this stage.

Before I get directly into the rumor, which showed up in a rather elaborate email today, let me talk a bit about what is going on at LUCASFILM right now. When AICN ran this rumor by some trusted sources, the only thing we got was a statement that there is literally a ton of activity going on regarding a whole bunch of ideas for Lucasfilm. Essentially, we are living in a time - where there are multiple generations of filmmakers, screenwriters and artists at all levels of film and media production - that have a very real opportunity to try out their ideas. So yes, there's all manners of fantasy dream projects regarding a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. But the only project that has hardcore active development is EPISODE VII - it is the only STAR WARS project that is beyond the treatment stage. SO - even if this is true, there is zero guarantee that any of the projects that we're hearing about outside of EPISODE VII will actually come into being. That said - this is one of those dreams that seem to be being pursued, but isn't confirmed yet.

Now for the rumor. Drew Karpyshyn - the man that created the scenario and much of the dialogue in the STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. He also worked on JADE EMPIRE and STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC. Along with writing MASS EFFECT and MASS EFFECT 2. Well he left BIOWARE back in February of last year to work on "screenwriting" and it seems that BIOWARE is a hot bed of rumor regarding the notion that Drew Karpyshyn is working up a screenplay for a film version of KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. Is this true? Or just the idle gossip of hard working game designers at BIOWARE? I've reached out to Drew Karpyshyn and as of this posting I've yet to hear back. On his personal website he states that he has not yet produced or sold any screenplays and that he's nearly completed his first script and will be looking for an agent to sell it shortly. With his rather all-star status in games, I'm sure whatever Drew is working on currently is likely to be something worth looking at."

A KOTOR movie would rock. Hire most of the voice actors to reprise their roles, too. Most of them would be in heavy makeup anyways, so any resemblance (or lack thereof) to their on-screen characters would be moot.

Though of course, casting "the protaganist" could be very controversial. (typed it that way to avoid spoilers, for those who are not very familiar with that branch of the universe)

If they are going the KOTOR route, the question is: how do they split the story into a trilogy?

I figure you'd want to keep the "big reveal" until the second movie or the end of the first one at the earliest. But then what?

I could see them stretching the story of KOTOR I into two movies (use the first one to build up the "protagonist" and get the movie audience to sympathize that character. Then resolve the story in the second film).

But then what do you do for the third film?

I don't think there's enough compelling story there to make three films out of KOTOR I, so where does the story go for the third one. Follow the protagonist's story and use the third film to go into the TOR era? Base the third film on KOTOR II?

OR do they try to tell two storylines at the same time: one following the protagonist through the present and another minor storyline/flashback providing background of how Revan and Malak (the main baddies in KOTOR I) rose to power and fell to the darkside. If they go this route, it'd be creatively challenging to edit the films to make sense. BUT you'd probably have enough content to make a compelling trilogy.

Okay, my mistake.

I read "rumor that film version of KOTOR may be in the works" and incorrectly assumed that meant that Episodes VII through IX would be set in the KOTOR era.

However, if they are working on a stand-alone KOTOR movie, two issues will come into play:

• It's kinda hard to tell a story set in the KOTOR era without having Revan or Revan-influenced events mentioned in the background.
  • If they do try to do a film adaptation of KOTOR I, it will be hard to do as a single film (anyone who's played the game will know why).

<p>

[*]It's kinda hard to tell a story set in the KOTOR era without having Revan or Revan-influenced events mentioned in the background.

[*]If they do try to do a film adaptation of KOTOR I, it will be hard to do as a single film (anyone who's played the game will know why).

The Old Republic era spans 24,000 years.

Okay, my mistake.

I read "rumor that film version of KOTOR may be in the works" and incorrectly assumed that meant that Episodes VII through IX would be set in the KOTOR era.

However, if they are working on a stand-alone KOTOR movie, two issues will come into play:

• It's kinda hard to tell a story set in the KOTOR era without having Revan or Revan-influenced events mentioned in the background.
  • If they do try to do a film adaptation of KOTOR I, it will be hard to do as a single film (anyone who's played the game will know why).

I wouldn't worry, you can be sure the games will be treated as well as the EU books when it comes to continuity.

• 2 weeks later...

So, having read the entire article, it certainly seems that Lucas was in the very earliest stages of pre-production on the sequels before this deal came down. Also revealing: they had signed--or were in the late stages of signing--Hamil, Fisher, and Ford to do the sequels before the Disney deal was finished. And then he essentially says, whoops, I wasn't supposed to say that, and that Disney is looking to make a big to-do out of the three of them coming back.

The technology to do anything JJ wants to do is out there people...don't kid yourself. I was amazed to watch the special features of "The Social Network" the other night to see how in a seemingly no CGI movie how much there REALLY was and is these days in pretty much anything we see. They scanned Dick Armey's head and put it on another stunt double's body to give the illusion of the Winkelvoss twins. Amazing stuff... it was seamless in my opinion, i thought they hired identical twins for the role! ...and that was years ago now. JJ could easily take the 3 actors from Star Wars, digitally de-age them and put their heads on someone else's body.

Edited by derex3592

But why? Do we need to go back and "de-age" Alec Guinness? There are and endless amount of stories to be told with them as they are.

Why are you even assuming they're the main characters of the sequels?

Well, no offense to Fisher and Hamill but have you seen the two? I don't think Hamill could use a light saber without breaking some kind of a sweat after 2 or 3 swings. I'm sure if he had a training regiment he could do get back into fighting weight.

Again, I don't know why some of you are assuming they are going to call upon the original trio to carry on like they did three years ago. As if somehow Kathlenee Kennedy, Lawrence Kasdan, Michael Arndt, and J.J. Abrams are unaware of the limitations placed upon the actors by their age or condition.

Besides, didn't Carrie Fisher lose a ton of weight in the past year or two?

My main concern is that SW 7 will have to come up with some kind of story how Leia and Han lived happily ever after (or did they?) after Ep. 4 and that this will ruin the characters in the same way the prequels ruined Darth Vader for me.

No need to worry there, GL pretty much ruined Luke and Han in Episode 6 already.

My main concern is that SW 7 will have to come up with some kind of story how Leia and Han lived happily ever after (or did they?) after Ep. 4 and that this will ruin the characters in the same way the prequels ruined Darth Vader for me.

Right, because that's the reputation of everyone involved in developing the sequels: they ruin films with their incompetence.

Would you be happier if they hadn't brought them back, and just wrote them out of the story all together? Just pretend they don't exist?

No need to worry there, GL pretty much ruined Luke and Han in Episode 6 already.

Mark Hamil ruined (and i wouldn't even say that) Luke in Jedi with his acting. Harrison Ford not wanting to be there didn't help his performance, either, but his role was pretty limp before he ever spoke a line out of the script they gave him. Edited by Duke Togo