So what is the distance covered in a 'one week hyper-journey'?

I never figured out the SW speeds, I know Star Trek is like taking a pleasure cruise from my impression of TNG, but SW always gives me the impression they get there like in hours if not tens of minutes.

JMS said it best when describing speed of travel in Babylon 5 (and it certainly applies to SW). Ships move at the speed of plot.

Given the massive scale of the SW universe, and how much of it was actually part of the Republic/Empire, compared with most others like Trek and B5, you can assume that hyperdrive is much faster than many other types of sci-fi travel. B5 probably is closest but I don't recall the scale of how far apart planets in that show were.

But consider Voyager (if you can stomach it) taking 70 years to cross the galaxy back to Federation space, which wasn't even a complete crossing. Granted, a lot of the "common" knowledge about the layout of the SW universe is based on EU material that may be defunct, but Tatooine was always pictured as being in the "outer rim," while things like Coruscant were referred to as the "galactic core." If you're going to make that journey within a movie, then yes, hyperdrive has to be a helluva lot faster than warp drive. :lol:

One of the interesting things I remember reading as well (and don't know if it applies, since EU and all that), was that SW hyperspace was actually almost exactly like B5. SW just never explored the concept of ships jumping without navicomputers (or astromech droids), which is essentially what the larger ships in B5 had. The smaller ships had to rely on the gates as navigational beacons, or they'd be lost entirely.

Edited by Chronocidal

JMS said it best when describing speed of travel in Babylon 5 (and it certainly applies to SW). Ships move at the speed of plot.

Lol. This...

Now I think about it, ships in the West End Games books also had a rating for "consumables" i.e. fuel, oxygen etc (a concept I've always felt never really fits with the "Star Wars" feel, despite the Trade Federation ships being revealed to have "fuel tanks" - I think they should have referred to them as "power cells" or "explodey ship parts" or something). An X-Wing had 1 week of consumables, so that gives us a cricket pitch (excuse me, I mean "ballpark") figure for the distance from Hoth to Dagobah - 1 week or less; similarly for Dagobah to Bespin (Luke apparently finding a space gas station somewhere en route). Some of the larger starships have consumables ratings listed as "years".

And of course, Bespin must be really close to Hoth for the Falcon to get there without a hyperdrive... :p

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Hyperspace travel speed is limited by the capacity of the hyperdrive to propel the ship through hyperspace, and that capacity is rated along an unclear numerical system. Many craft are equipped with a primary hyperdrive, which carries a low rating, granting greater speed, as well as a higher-rated backup. For example, the Lambda-class T4a shuttle has a Class 1 main hyperdrive, with Class 12 backup. That gives it a level of speed in hyperspace on par with Imperial-class star destroyers, unless for some reason the main hyperdrive is damaged or fails, at which point it can at least return to a berth in a safe place, albeit far more slowly than if it was working properly.

With all that said, the actual speed of hyperdrives is never really clarified in any meaningful way. Regardless of anything, ships all move at the Speed of Plot. Which is why the Class 4 hyperdrive of the Death Star was able to reach Yavin IV mere hours after the Class .5 Millennium Falcon did, despite the latter being supposed to be many times faster than the Death Star.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108391

Fincher talks about where he would have taken episode 7:

"I talked to Kathy about it, but I think that it's a different thing from... I don't know what Disney-Lucasfilm will be like." He added, "It's tricky. My favourite is The Empire Strikes Back. If I said, 'I want to do something more like that,' then I'm sure the people paying for it would be like, 'No! You can't do that! We want it like the other one with all the creatures!' "I always thought of Star Wars as the story of two slaves [C-3PO and R2-D2] who go from owner to owner, witnessing their masters' folly, the ultimate folly of man... I thought it was an interesting idea in the first two, but it's kind of gone by Return Of The Jedi."

Mark+Hamill+Midnight+Mission+100th+Anniv

ByEQ8qaCMAAwPt2.jpg

Hamill looks like a cross between McGreggor’s Obi Wan and Guinness’ Obi Wan. Fisher’s duck-face photos are screaming Botox.

Edited by peter

Mark Hamill will do great. He's passionate about his work and I can't think of a performance where he phoned it in. Harrison Ford, I'm not too sure about. He's a GREAT actor, but only when he feels like it. There are a number of half-assed Harrison Ford roles which take away from his credit. I can excuse his social anxiety and general shut-in nature, but he's done a lot of movies out of obligation or interest in movies, rather than because he really wanted to play a part. It's common knowledge that he doesn't like being cast as Han Solo, and he even wanted the script of Return of the Jedi to kill Han off halfway through so he could cut out early. I'm not expecting a ton from him.

Carrie Fisher is an unknown. She did well in the original trilogy, and she obviously cares about the franchise, its characters, and its fans, but she hasn't really done a lot since the originals. I'm sure she thinks this is a great opportunity to play a part in the Star Wars again, but I'm not sure if she's actually up to the job. Nothing against her, I just don't know what all that hiatus will do to her acting prowess.

Han is fine with a phoned in performance so I'm not worried about that. Really, all Ford has to do is look annoyed or bored 99% of the time.

Fisher - no problem, she is a solid actress that just didn't have "Star" power. She did a great bit in "When Harry Met Sally" and her commentary is some of the funniest stuff I ever heard. Her quip about owing Lucas a quarter every time she looks in the mirror is just great. She should not even need to act, Leiha has the same acerbic wit...

Edited by Dynaman