Star Wars: The Force Awakens has five Academy Award nominations:

• Best Original Score - John Williams
  • Best Sound Editing
  • Best Sound Mixing
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Visual Effects

As far as these go, Williams has to worry about Ennio Morricone's score for The Hateful Eight. All the technical awards will be a free-for-all between this film and The Revenant, The Martian, and Mad Max: Fury Road.

guys look:

Team Negative 1 just released their "Star Wars: 35mm Silver Screen Theatrical Version"

It is a full 35mm transfer with cleanup and it looks awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/despecialized/posts/1626437484299123

It could use another pass as far as the clean up goes, and some of the darker scenes look a little rough, but otherwise it is a great addition to anyone's Star Wars film collection. It'll be interesting to see what improvements they can squeeze out of the picture in future releases. However, I assume those won't come until after they finish Empire and Jedi.

guys look:

Team Negative 1 just released their "Star Wars: 35mm Silver Screen Theatrical Version"

It is a full 35mm transfer with cleanup and it looks awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/despecialized/posts/1626437484299123

Just finished uncompressing it. It's really nice. Different than the DeSpecialized version, feels more theatrical. Worth getting a copy of.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Just finished uncompressing it. It's really nice. Different than the DeSpecialized version, feels more theatrical. Worth getting a copy of.

awesome, i'm just looking into how to DL it myself. haven't got a chance yet.

More fun with Emo Kylo Ren:

"dear diary
the substitute math teacher kept calling me "rilo kiley"
it was upsetting
hux says he is an untermensch
I guess we are talking"

--

"i was not crying in the shower
i just realized how i'll never get to meet darth vader and then soap got in my eye"

--

"dear diary
hux is lending me his copy of endor's game
he says he has never related to a protagonist so much
i like it just okay"

--

"current status: if there's a bright center to the universe
i'm on the planet that it's farthest from"

--

post-237-0-01485300-1453264731_thumb.jpg

I saw the movie a second time yesterday and it is still a good movie. It was enjoyable to watch unlike Episode 1-3 that where cringeworthy the second time.

They major problems still persists: it it too much like Episode 4 and I think the whole deal with the Resistance where underdeveloped and misleading. They could easily said in the title scroll that the galactic senate created a special black ops devision led by Leia to deal with the First Order and everything would be fine.

Another issue arose during the viewing in that what in how incredible convenience it was that Rei was on Yakku. In Episode 4 Vader is chasing Leia to Tatooine where she wants to get Obi-Wans help who is watching over Luke so it is a logic progression of events. In The Force Awakes Rei just happens to be on that planet. Maybe we learn later that the Max von Sydow character was on Yakku for a reason sot is not a big deal. We also got the whole picture on what's happening on Tatooine after six movies so I assume you could say the same thing after watching Episode 4 only. ^_^

I still get puzzled by people saying that 7 is a remake of 4. While it certainly takes story beats from the entirety of the original trilogy, it isn't close to being a "remake" of any single one of them.

I don't think it is a remake but the story structure is basically the same which leads to a "been there done that" feel that is not beneficial to an otherwise great movie. Why build another Deathstar if the first two didn't work out? Why start out on a desert planet, why does Rei don't know who her parents are....

I think the reason why this is is twofold. First JJ Abrams stated that his favorite movie is Episode 4 so naturally there are some similarities here. The second one is that Disney created a carefully tinkered experience trying to make Episode 1-3 go away so they fell back to the original trilogy.

As I stated before I wanted to knew more about the Star Wars universe and of course there are elements in it but they are not explained very well. So since I don't know where the First Order came from I assume they are similar to the Empire. I don't know why Kylo Ren is the way he is so I assume he is some iteration of Darth Vader. I don't know who the Resistance is so they must be the rebels from the original trilogy.

That is why I said the movie is a good start. If they elaborate on these elements and they don't make Episode 8 the Empire Strikes Back I think I will see Episode 7 differently than I do now where I can only compare it to Episode 1-6. From the perspective today I would say it is too similar to Episode 4.

7 is what happens when you let Disney take over.... ;)

+1.

I rewatched it by downloading it since I don't have the time to go to a theater right now.

I'll take it further. I found the prequels more memorable and enjoyable to watch than this movie. Yes, I am putting the prequels above this movie. So sue me. At least with those, I got films that felt different. If I wanted to watch them blow up a Death Star (twice), I'll rewatch Ep 4 and 6. If I wanted to see snow (and more of it), I'll watch Ep 5. If I wanted to see a cantina with a a short musical number, Ep 4. Desert environment? Ep 1, 2, 4 and 6. If I wanted a whiny guy, I'll take Ep 2, 3 and 4. The more I listen to Finn's dialogue at parts, the more I'll cringe like I'm listening to some (what did James Corben call it), hype-man. At least with Jar Jar, part of me is trying to decipher what the hell he's saying before I cringe.

+1.

I rewatched it by downloading it since I don't have the time to go to a theater right now.

I'll take it further. I found the prequels more memorable and enjoyable to watch than this movie. Yes, I am putting the prequels above this movie. So sue me. At least with those, I got films that felt different. If I wanted to watch them blow up a Death Star (twice), I'll rewatch Ep 4 and 6. If I wanted to see snow (and more of it), I'll watch Ep 5. If I wanted to see a cantina with a a short musical number, Ep 4. Desert environment? Ep 1, 2, 4 and 6. If I wanted a whiny guy, I'll take Ep 2, 3 and 4. The more I listen to Finn's dialogue at parts, the more I'll cringe like I'm listening to some (what did James Corben call it), hype-man. At least with Jar Jar, part of me is trying to decipher what the hell he's saying before I cringe.

I see where your coming from and I could agree with that if it weren't for the likable characters. Finn, Rei, Poe are all good characters that have a chemistry on screen. Even with Kylo Ren I can understand whats his deal is and can sympathize with him. Something I could never to with Anakin Skywalker in the prequels.

+1.

You clearly haven't watched the prequels lately. They aren't that original and they are garbage. Sure, they're less familiar, but I'd rather have a blowjob from a girl I know than a kick in the nuts from a stranger.

I see where your coming from and I could agree with that if it weren't for the likable characters. Finn, Rei, Poe are all good characters that have a chemistry on screen. Even with Kylo Ren I can understand whats his deal is and can sympathize with him. Something I could never to with Anakin Skywalker in the prequels.

For me, the principal characters were not enough to make up for the lackluster-rehashed story. The more I looked and thought about it, the less I liked it. Poe's character was ok, but then went downhill right around the time he first interacts with Kylo Ren. Then that gap in screen time made me forget about him. Finn's character was just a mess which I addressed in my review. Rey? The more I think about her character, the more coincidences play into her story, the less convincing I find her character.

You clearly haven't watched the prequels lately. They aren't that original and they are garbage. Sure, they're less familiar, but I'd rather have a blowjob from a girl I know than a kick in the nuts from a stranger.

I did. And I still found them more entertaining than this movie. CGI, funky dialogue and all.

I'll take it further. I found the prequels more memorable and enjoyable to watch than this movie. Yes, I am putting the prequels above this movie. So sue me. At least with those, I got films that felt different.

I wouldn't say enjoyable, but I definitely agree that they're at least more memorable. Everyone immediately latched onto Darth Maul, for instance. And the battle from Episode 3 certainly sticks out, even if none of the specifics do and it only sticks out for all the wrong reasons anyway.

TFA has... the TIE-against-the-sunrise shot? Other than that, most of the movie is a haze, and I honestly can't even tell you when in the movie that shot takes place and why.

I wouldn't say enjoyable, but I definitely agree that they're at least more memorable. Everyone immediately latched onto Darth Maul, for instance. And the battle from Episode 3 certainly sticks out, even if none of the specifics do and it only sticks out for all the wrong reasons anyway.

TFA has... the TIE-against-the-sunrise shot? Other than that, most of the movie is a haze, and I honestly can't even tell you when in the movie that shot takes place and why.

Well, there's the Emo Ren rage scenes which ended up being quite comical....how much comic fodder has this idiot character provided? No one will be able to watch him during the next installment and not think of his "twitter" persona....he is a joke...they should have never filmed those scenes of brooding rage....epic fail...

Basically, the entire movie was just filler we were forced to sit through so we could stare in awe at Hamill's movie-stealing final scene...and give some fool's hope that something interesting might happen during the next installment...

Everything else in TFA is just a giant f'ing commercial to sell action figures and other junk for Disney...

Edited by jvmacross

93% on rotten tomatoes... apparently the 7% are on MW.

So anecdote here, over the holidays I was visiting my in-laws and all the kids and all their families were in one house. I suggested we go see Star Wars Episode VII since, amazingly enough, none of us had caught it yet. Every single person asked if I could tell them what happened in the prequels because they had seen them but they were so bad nothing was very memorable from them. As we talked the progression was very similar to this:

"There was a SICK light saber duel in the first one!"
"Wasn't Anakin always totally unlikable?"
"I remember lots of robots always being unbelievably stupid"
"I have no idea what was in the third one but I do remember it ended with the Obi Wan saying 'I have the high ground' which seemed ridiculous before chopping off Anakin's legs."
"Hey, pod racing! that was cool. Didn't they make a game of it?"

That was about as far as we got before deciding it probably wouldn't matter. So, for those of you who are saying the prequels are more memorable and less full of fluff... I would say the majority of folks would look at you like a crazy person.

Everything else in TFA is just a giant f'ing commercial to sell action figures and other junk for Disney...

That was a common criticism about Return of the Jedi.

Edited by jenius

"I have no idea what was in the third one but I do remember it ended with the Obi Wan saying 'I have the high ground' which seemed ridiculous before chopping off Anakin's legs.".

Lol, do some of you guys even like star wars?

- I was thinking about the "high ground" thing and justify it by, Obi knows this move that's about to come up because he did it to Maul. He knew how to counter it, and was like "don't do it dude! you're about to be in a word of hurt!"

Well, there's the Emo Ren rage scenes which ended up being quite comical....how much comic fodder has this idiot character provided? No one will be able to watch him during the next installment and not think of his "twitter" persona....he is a joke...they should have never filmed those scenes of brooding rage....epic fail...

Oh, I forgot about that. I suppose that's something. I quite liked Kylo Ren, actually. It was a little bit of a bait and switch. "Hey, look at this frakking badass PSYCHE HE'S ACTUALLY A crap KID because what else were you expecting from A crap KID!" Rey and Finn are likable enough characters the same way the original trilogy cast were likable enough characters the first time I saw those movies, too. I'm gonna need a few more years before they'll start growing on me, though.

Basically, the entire movie was just filler we were forced to sit through so we could stare in awe at Hamill's movie-stealing final scene...and give some fool's hope that something interesting might happen during the next installment...

The Luke reveal was underwhelming and yet dragged on for far too long, I think. That's another common criticism I had with the movie: there are so many over-protracted scenes (especially of constipated Force concentration). If they had just cut the ending off two minutes earlier, when Rey gets into the Falcon, that would have made for a perfectly fine ending point.

Can I not like something and criticize it at the same time? Like I said in my original response to this thread, the movie's perfectly serviceable. I believe my exact words were "It's miles above the prequels, but miles above the Mariana Trench is still just sea level."

Revenge of the Sith has a 79% on Rotten Tomatoes. It must be a good movie, then.

That was about as far as we got before deciding it probably wouldn't matter. So, for those of you who are saying the prequels are more memorable and less full of fluff... I would say the majority of folks would look at you like a crazy person.

Seems you're taking this a bit more personally than others are.

One other thing that struck me: The music is better in the prequels. And not just more memorable, but legitimately better. Different from the original trilogy, but incredibly good nonetheless, and one of the few high points of the prequels.