Yeah, that's why in the end I'm ok with it. As I said I really liked the movie. WAYY more than I was expecting to.

I tried to watch out for a grave stone, there's a jagged stone jutting slantingly upwards next to him, but if you see the wider shots, it looks like there are many slanted stones around, but before rey even gets up there, she almost walks into something causing her to stop and look at it on the ground. dunno what that was. a step stool? lol idk.

I'm thinking of picking up the novel to try to fill in some other gaps.

Theres a weird jump cut on leia when talking to han at the base. it may have not been important what she's saying but who knows.

I was looking for the grave marker on my second viewing, and the jagged stone definitely stands out in the very final, sweeping shot before the credits. In the scenes before that it seemed more ambiguous, but it's roughly knee-high and stuck in at an angle none of the other stones are.

The stuff Rey happens upon before finding Luke all seemed to me like a lunch tray on the ground, giving the viewer some indications that the area was inhabited, and Luke had been here for a little while.

I just finished the novelization, and it adds a bunch of content I think was probably cut from the film due to pacing or relevancy issues. Most of it is fluff action scenes or extra blustering from the villains, but there were a couple of gems in there:

-Leia's relationship to the Senate, and thus the Resistance being a thing, is given a little more description.

-Snoke confronts Kylo for feeling compassion toward Rey just before the "bring herrr tooo meee" line. Kylo has some interest in her after she inverts his mind probe, and is generally creepier in all of his interactions with her.

-The Starkiller weapon's method of action is completely different. It basically collects and compresses a ton of dark energy from space (an actual scientific theory) into a ball that it shoots through sub-hyperspace (spacefold?) into the core of a target planet that turns it into a "pocket nova" - think kind of like red matter from Star Trek Nemesis, but explodey instead of black holey. The resulting explosion is what decimates the surrounding system, rather than bits of red beam feathering off to the other planets. The darkness that envelopes the Starkiller planet is due to the Dark energy collection rather than its sun being drained.

-Kylo, just after killing Han, drops to his knees in confusion/regret over why he doesn't feel stronger, relieved or vindicated after committing the act.

Had someone bring this up today, and I wanted to address it here: they aren't searching for a map to Luke Skywalker; they're searching for a map to the first Jedi Temple, where Luke is said to have gone.

I've seen discussion about this elsewhere online over the past week, and it just boggles my mind that people think Luke left a map to himself. This isn't out of the book, they say it right in the movie. The first temple.

Theory time.

Rey is so powerful in the force because she is indeed a Skywalker - Times 2! She is both Luke's and Leia's daughter! How can that happen? She's too young. She would of had to been born after the truth about their family relationship or was she?

In Episode V before the Empire attacked Hoth Leia passionately kissed Luke not just in front of Han but in front of everyone. Including R2-D2. That droid memory was never wipe. R2-D2 always knew they were siblings and never said anything about it. Why? Because R2-D2 is an evil droid planted onboard the Queen's ship by Palpatine decades ago. Episode V ended with Luke's arm over Leia as they watched the Falcon fly off to find Han. Both were emotional vulnerable at the time. Both around the same age - that of horny college students. Episode VI takes place a year after Episode V. Just enough time for Leia to carry the monster of their unholy union. R2-D2 let it all happen. The two of them couldn't fight a rebellion while raising their demon spawn. They had her frozen in Carbonate so she could be defrosted when things in the galaxy were more stable. Luke and Leia learned the horrible truth during Episode VI. They decide to alter their original plan. Rey would be defrosted and shipped off to the middle of nowhere.

How else can we explain her grasp on the force without having no training what so ever? She's more advanced than both Luke and Anakin before they were trained. Anakin Skywalker was the chosen one. Luke his son was just 50% the chosen one. Leia his daughter was also just 50% the chose one. Ben/Kylo the grandson is just 25% the chosen one. Rey is the product of Luke and Leia is 100% the chosen one and a crime against nature. We have R2-D2 to thanks for that.

That's why I serioisly hope Luke has been researching a path more balanced than Jedi and Sith. The Clone Wars perfectly displayed how powerful a balanced force user can be. Kylo stopping that bean mid air reminded me of catching Anakin's saber in that episode.

Just got back from seeing it with my son - and it was great.

Best in the series? Not going to go there, but I will say this: there were a lot more exhilarating scenes in it than I was expecting (E.g. in Eps VI when the Millennium Falcon dives inside the Death Star II, that kind of "wow" factor). So, it's definitely better than the last movie produced in the series, and JJ has captured (some of?) the magic of the original series. ;)

-Kylo, just after killing Han, drops to his knees in confusion/regret over why he doesn't feel stronger, relieved or vindicated after committing the act.

This would have been pretty great for the character in the movie to have done.

Anyone else on board with the theory that Snoke might be Plagueis?

I think the New Republic was dysfunctional due to their lack of responsibility and mission, complacency and fear of imposing order to opposing factions in fear of more conflict, and last of all, lacked the guidance of a Jedi Order that the original Galactic Republic had.

This reminded me of the weakened Federation post UC 0088 in Gundam, where most of the work done to quell new emerging threats were done by splinter cell groups such as the Bright Noah's AEUG, Londo Bell and Uso's Dad's League Militaire, which were all too similar to the General Leia Organa's Resistance.

Edited by calubin_175

This reminded me of the weakened Federation post UC 0088 in Gundam, where most of the work done to quell new emerging threats were done by splinter cell groups such as the Bright Noah's AEUG, Londo Bell and Uso's Dad's League Militaire, which were all too similar to the General Leia Organa's Resistance.

This is exactly what first came to mind when seeing force awakens for the first time.

Seeing how the resistance doesn't have as much backing as it use to that's understandable.

Just read that the film finally hit the 1 billion box office sales this weekend. I'm sure Mickey is snorting the longest line he's ever had in his life.

Saw it last night. what a waste of time that was. I should have stayed home and re-watched A New Hope. It was the same friggin movie. :angry:

That's kind of wht a lot of us have been saying now for the last 10 days. But in all fairness it was actually still a good movie, better than the prequels.

That's kind of wht a lot of us have been saying now for the last 10 days. But in all fairness it was actually still a good movie, better than the prequels.

Revenge Of The Sith was far better, and TPM & AotC Don't borh tell new stories.

As I've already said I liked this movie more than I thought I would. That being said I just read this synopsis over on starshipmodeler and laughed my A$$ off!

This is the most accurate synopsis I've yet to read and I don't think anyone could sum up the movie better. And I still like it!

"Not-Luke meeting not-R2 on not-Tatooine and trying to get the secret message past not-Vader and not-Tarkin while they threaten the not-Rebellion with the not-Death Star which gets destroyed by the not-Rebels shooting at the not-thermal exhaust port . . . "

While it might not have the same cultural significance aus ANH, TFA was a far more entertaining movie IMO. And I did bother to watch Episode IV recently, not wearing my nostalgia glasses.

Have to disagree IF the differences in what is expected of a movie is factored in. The MORE MORE FASTER FASTER pacing of movies today is unthinkable back in the seventies in anything but, perhaps, grindhouse films. Star Wars is a more sedate film but it has to be judged in the context of the time, Lucas himself said that it is a sedate film but people did not react to it as such due to the amount of STUFF that was actually being shoved at them and not explained - like other scifi movies tripped over themselves doing. Star Wars was something totally new (granted - just as a repackaged batch of many things old) and that has to be taken into account when considering how good a film it is compared to others in the series.

I would have loved to see some more of the First Order Flame Troopers and heavy gun troopers in action in the movie.

And also see the First Order snow speeders in use. There's been several toys of them already (lego + Titanium minis), but they were on screen for less than a second I think.

Love the First Order Storm Trooper armor.

(...) Star Wars is a more sedate film but it has to be judged in the context of the time, Lucas himself said that it is a sedate film but people did not react to it as such due to the amount of STUFF that was actually being shoved at them and not explained - like other scifi movies tripped over themselves doing. Star Wars was something totally new (granted - just as a repackaged batch of many things old) and that has to be taken into account when considering how good a film it is compared to others in the series.

That's quite interesting. Everyone that I talk to (myself included) say that Star Wars is an action movie. And, well... in a recent rewatch, I was struck by how good an actor Alec Guinness is in the movie, and in explaining it to my students, I described it as "when he thinks, he really appears to be thinking". I didn't catch any characters being given time to think in SW7...

And speaking of SW4 repacking old things - the documentary that came with the 3-disc DVD release about a decade ago was really telling. It floors some of my students when they hear that it is basically an Akira Kurosawa film set in the future (that would be the grown-up students, who know about Mr. Kurosawa!).

So, SW7 repacking content that came before? Par for the course, IMHO. The production team added and/or changed enough to keep things fresh and interesting.

And also see the First Order snow speeders in use. There's been several toys of them already (lego + Titanium minis), but they were on screen for less than a second I think.

Love the First Order Storm Trooper armor.

Agreed. I even asked my son after the movie "when did they appear?!"

Before seeing the movie, I didn't like the new Storm Trooper armour. Now... quite liking it.

I'm not sold on this one, and not just because JJ and company have denied it. Plagueis was a Muun, and while Snoke is tall and thin, he doesn't have the head of a Muun. Of course, Plagueis being a Muun is now old EU, so who knows?

This is why I think Snoke is, maybe, a Yoda sized being. If you have size issues, you go Super-Size your holograms...

I would have thought it would be nice to hv a supreme leader thats suave and not looking like an obvious monster for a change.

Sort of like count dooku, imagine having dracula as a boss. The terror comes when they break out of character.

You do realise that THIS is who you are talking about.......

2015HankScorpio_Press_230915.hero.jpg