/Film Spoiler-free Early Buzz: 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'

In a nutshell: this is the film we have been looking for for over 30 years. The Force is very strong with this one.

Eh, fans tweeting positive reactions isn't really an indication of anything. Fans would have tweeted super positive things after the release of the prequels as well.

This one seems more objective. And telling, as it was something a lot of us here were worried about with JJ Abrams confusing retelling the same story for nostalgia.

"STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is ok. I know it's poetry, I know it rhymes, but does every line have to rhyme with the last poem?"

Eh, fans tweeting positive reactions isn't really an indication of anything. Fans would have tweeted super positive things after the release of the prequels as well.

This one seems more objective. And telling, as it was something a lot of us here were worried about with JJ Abrams confusing retelling the same story for nostalgia.

"STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is ok. I know it's poetry, I know it rhymes, but does every line have to rhyme with the last poem?"

By "fans" you mean film reviewers? Because those are the people who are tweeting these things. And I'm not sure how you could think anyone would have blinders on after the prequels and special editions. We're in the jaded era.

By "fans" you mean film reviewers? Because those are the people who are tweeting these things. And I'm not sure how you could think anyone would have blinders on after the prequels and special editions. We're in the jaded era.

No, there are still people fanboying out... about JJ as well.

People would sell their first born for Star Wars...and sleep well that night. I learned of that religious furvor during the prequel era all too well. All the film reviewers I thought learned their lessons are still walking around blind without a cane for this film, so damned needy that this be the return to Star Wars greatness they're all praying for. Sorry, but I'm not trusting a damn word any damn person has to say about this damned film.

I've had my ticket for over a month and I'll see it first thing Thursday. And THIS time, nostalgia will not compromise me. Praise is EARNED, not "given" away and I won't post it without merit. And I can promise this: if the Force Awakens plagarizes one more finale from the originals in some Abrams I'll-eat-choad-for-nostalgia special, I am done. Another "Into Darkness" and I won't pay for another of his films for the rest of his career. I want to see a new Star Wars film, not "A New Hope - The Abrams Edit".

No, there are still people fanboying out... about JJ as well.

I don't get that feeling at all. You've obviously been reading different articles than I have. The skepticism has been real from the film critic community.

It almost sounds like you want this to be bad.

People would sell their first born for Star Wars...and sleep well that night. I learned of that religious furvor during the prequel era all too well. All the film reviewers I thought learned their lessons are still walking around blind without a cane for this film, so damned needy that this be the return to Star Wars greatness they're all praying for. Sorry, but I'm not trusting a damn word any damn person has to say about this damned film.

I've had my ticket for over a month and I'll see it first thing Thursday. And THIS time, nostalgia will not compromise me. Praise is EARNED, not "given" away and I won't post it without merit. And I can promise this: if the Force Awakens plagarizes one more finale from the originals in some Abrams I'll-eat-choad-for-nostalgia special, I am done. Another "Into Darkness" and I won't pay for another of his films for the rest of his career. I want to see a new Star Wars film, not "A New Hope - The Abrams Edit".

Really, you bring up Into Darkness? For the 50th time, Lindlelof isn't involved in this production. I expect better than that from you, March.

Really, you bring up Into Darkness? For the 50th time, Lindlelof isn't involved in this production. I expect better than that from you, March.

Don't get all defensive and spoiling for a high school bout, Duke. No one wants this film to be bad. But these tweets aren't the holy grail folks are pinning their hopes to, and you're smart enough to know that.

Don't get all defensive and spoiling for a high school bout, Duke. No one wants this film to be bad. But these tweets aren't the holy grail folks are pinning their hopes to, and you're smart enough to know that.

Not spoiling for any sort of fight with you, March. I'm as jaded and scared as the rest of you about this. But I strongly believe that we've all (including these reviewers) been burnt enough by Lucas to have a healthy skepticism about any Star Wars-related film at this point. When there is actual positive press about it, I tend to believe it at this point.

I just need it to be good. I don't need it to be world-changing or an all-time classic. I just want it to be good.

Not spoiling for any sort of fight with you, March. I'm as jaded and scared as the rest of you about this. But I strongly believe that we've all (including these reviewers) been burnt enough by Lucas to have a healthy skepticism about any Star Wars-related film at this point. When there is actual positive press about it, I tend to believe it at this point.

I just need it to be good. I don't need it to be world-changing or an all-time classic. I just want it to be good.

You're guaranteed good.

Easy, words like that and I'll be looking for dinner and movie from ya. Nothing wrong with having hope and being positive, but these tweets are a familiar story we've all seen played out before with the same BS ending, Star Wars or no. Any skepticism is as healthy as wishing for the best. As much as I love the film blogs and all the rest, this is way too premature to be hollering like Han at Yavin.

The guy who posted that on twitter also said something about the story. He's the guy that runs BadAssDigest. They changed the site name to something I can't remember right now. Anyway, he's usually honest and explains his reviews and they aren't the sort of fan stuff that you would see on other sites. I'm not surprised by the good tweets and word of mouth. It was like that with the prequels and it's like that with many big movies and movies from Abrams. I've seen almost all of his movies and they are just good for action moments. I'm hoping for more from Star Wars since he's supposed to actually like the series.

"A"

"Awesometacular"

"4.2 & 4.5 out of 5 Schmoes"

"A"

"Best Movie Ever"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 97% - "Packed with action and populated by both familiar faces and fresh blood, The Force Awakens successfully recalls the series' former glory while injecting it with renewed energy."
Metacritic Score: 82 out of 100 Edited by areaseven

Based on one of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes I now know that my misgivings about the movie are true. Oh well, I'll still enjoy it anyway...

Ok found it: it was the review on RT by Scott Mendelson from Forbes magazine. Hell, even the positive reviews echo the same comments. Again, I knew this was how the movie would play out but I'll probably be fine with it...

Ok found it: it was the review on RT by Scott Mendelson from Forbes magazine. Hell, even the positive reviews echo the same comments. Again, I knew this was how the movie would play out but I'll probably be fine with it...

Yup, that's the same one I read that came off as the exact same criticism as JJ's Star Trek films. The difference being it's slightly more okay that a Star Wars film be like this.

And suddenly George Lucas' comment, "the fans will love it" shows a sly backhand. If only his directing was that smart.

Edited by Mommar

Yup, that's the same one I read that came off as the exact same criticism as JJ's Star Trek films. The difference being it's slightly more okay that a Star Wars film be like this.

And suddenly George Lucas' comment, "the fans will love it" shows a sly backhand. If only his directing was that smart.

Actually, I'm starting to think I'm NOT ok with how this movie probably plays out...

With the numbers from pre-sale, no doubt this movie will blowout anything this year out of the water.

My worry is the nostalgia goggles with the critics. Fanboys will be fanboys. The nostalgia goggles are implanted into their brains.

With all the spoilers out on the 'Net now, you'll probably want to just go offline until Friday.

I saw it last night, and its amazing. I'd put it up there aside to ESB. So much going on in it and it moves quite fast so a few veiwings will be needed to absorb everything.

Loved seeing the OT characters return and get back to that familiar feel while at the same time introducing and giving the new characters room to breathe and move forward. Sets up the next episode brilliantly, There was a few things that where alright,but in no way lessened the movie at all.

loved it, probably see it again soon.

Kylo Ren is a great villian for this set aswell.

Edited by Vepariga

Just got back from watching it on IMAX this morning. And yes, this film is a worthy successor to the Original Trilogy. As mentioned by other critics, the use of practical effects gives the film a more natural feel than any of the prequel films. And unlike the Prequel Trilogy's use of acrobatic spamming, the light saber fights here rely mainly on basic hack-and-slash instincts like Return of the Jedi. John Boyega and Daisy Ridley deliver brilliant performances as FN-2187 "Finn" and Rey, respectively. Oscar Isaac's portrayal of Poe Dameron has callbacks to the Original Trilogy's Wedge Antilles, but with a bit of Bruce Campbell badassness to boot. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren is arguably the most feared villain in the franchise since Darth Vader. BB-8 may very well be the best robotic character in any sci-fi film. But of all the new cast members, Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma stands out the most. Imagine a female Boba Fett, and you have Captain Phasma.

And how can you not talk about The Force Awakens without the original cast? It's great to see Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, Admiral Ackbar, and the Millennium Falcon. But by God... Mark Hamill gives his best performance ever as Luke Skywalker. It goes to show that he was born to play the role and that he's a Skywalker for life.

In terms of ranking, here's how I see it:

1. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

2. Star Wars (1977)

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

4. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)

5. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

6. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

7. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)

No offense, but shouldn't that post have spoiler tags, lol.

Did you have to wait in line a long time to see it, or did you have reserved seats?

Edited by myk