People are slow and stupid then. I always said that the original Trek was just Star Wars even if the 2009 version I'm relatively okay with (unlike Into Darkness, which I hate.)

To be fair. there were a lot of folks that recognized the Star Wars-ish character and story similarities with Trek (2009) ever since that film was released. But I don't think SOME folks realized/recognized the VISUAL similarities between Star Wars and Trek (2009) until they started watching Abrams do ACTUAL Star Wars movies.

So, dunno if this will be any kind of actual truth in speculation, but I find this rather amusing.

I'm having a hard time detaching this from the EU, because whether they're actually lifting elements from the books or not, it certainly looks like it... maybe that's on purpose to throw people off?

I just really can't shake the feeling that we're going to get another Jacen/Jaina story, but compressed and rearranged. The conspiracy theorist in me makes me think that Kylo Ren and Rey are related (either Han/Leia's kids, or possibly Luke's), and Kylo was Luke's student, before his apparent failure and resulting self exile, putting Rey in the "hide them on a backwater planet" slot that Luke was in. If they reveal that Kylo killed Luke's wife, I'm calling shenanigans on the whole universe. :p

Also, did they really have to bring back the Suncrusher?? Those books were awful.

Or on the wacky side of things..

Kylo Ren is a red herring meant to throw everyone off the truth that he's actually Luke, who accidentally started his own cult when his students began worshiping him. :lol:

And no, I haven't actually watched this trailer yet, so it's very likely that none of my wild guessing is even remotely true. But really, I know they declared the EU to be a separate universe, but I can't help feel they're still milking it for plot points.

As far as the Trek Wars go though.. I always thought the 2009 Trek reboot was the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. :p The change to pulse phaser turrets in the opening kind of cemented that in my mind from the start.

Edited by Chronocidal

Kylo ain't Luke. Look at Kylo's(Adam Drivers) hair when he confronts Finn in the trailer. People complaining about the trailer telling u so much, I think they left a TON of stuff out, and some pretty vital characters(Snoke, Maz and Luke obviously). Now, JJ with his "secrets" that aren't really(Khhaaannn!) may leave something to be desired, but I'm hoping it's fun.

I wasn't sure what to think for the first few seconds, but it just got better and better as it went on. I really love the chunkiness to the dogfight scenes, the way hits seem to have a real impact on stuff.

Anyone else notice the Imperial standard-issue vertical floor-with-slots-in in the opening shots? :)

Talking about the inside of the Star Destroyer? With the tie fighter and shuttle wreckage inside?

Kylo ain't Luke. I think there's a set pick of Adam Driver being filmed without the helmet. And the shot in the trailer of Kylo walking up to Finn without the helmet should quiet any talk of that.

Yes, they left stuff out of the trailer but throwing everything in would ruin the point of a trailer.

And JJ should realize by now that with a movie with this rabid fandom, there are no secrets. If I can find a rumor-based synopsis of this movie and piece it together with what the trailers have shown...

Kylo ain't Luke. I think there's a set pick of Adam Driver being filmed without the helmet. And the shot in the trailer of Kylo walking up to Finn without the helmet should quiet any talk of that.

Yes, they left stuff out of the trailer but throwing everything in would ruin the point of a trailer.

And JJ should realize by now that with a movie with this rabid fandom, there are no secrets. If I can find a rumor-based synopsis of this movie and piece it together with what the trailers have shown...

Makingstarwars is your website...

So yeah, Luke eh? Both are gifs. Click away.

::sorry, but I'm gonna say that 2nd pic's a spoiler, though not really plot-wise:: I would just change it from embedded to a link, but it was attached, so no easy way other than to delete it::

post-385-0-65447100-1445384392_thumb.gif

Edited by David Hingtgen
Pic of Kylo Ren unmasked

Also... why is everything seemingly so shitty after the first films this far in the future? I mean it make sense that in real life things wouldn't go to plan and everybody would be happy but it feels like the first movies weren't for much if it's this emo.

This is what i've been thinking the whole time. I don't want them to crap on the ending of ROTJ. Let them have a few years of peace at least before it gets worse. Otherwise everything they fought for in the first trilogy is for nothing.

This is what i've been thinking the whole time. I don't want them to crap on the ending of ROTJ. Let them have a few years of peace at least before it gets worse. Otherwise everything they fought for in the first trilogy is for nothing.

From the Uprising game synopsis and from what I've been able to gather online about the Aftermath novel/series(both canon), the Empire denies the Emperor's death and their defeat at Endor the entire time to try to retain as much power as possible. I've only played a few hours of the game and haven't started the book so I could be was off but those are the things I got from "hey look at these new canon items for Star Wars leading to FA."

This fits with Han confirming it's all real. A military/political power like the Empire could make it where many systems and planets wouldn't know anything.

It also fits with GL's hindsight and the time gap between episodes 3 and 4. 18 years pass and the Clone Wars, that thing that tore the galaxy apart, is made out to be just some thing that Luke's father was part of? In less than 2 decades Jedi went from a somewhat household name to whispers, myths and legends. Giving GL the benefit of the doubt, Palpatine/The Empire had the kind of power to make it all just kind of go away.

Edited by Chewie

I see things in this movie as being a bit like the aftermath of the fall of the Roman Empire. No one was able to step up and grab control, so the galaxy has been split among various regional factions.

Well, that's my guess, anyway.

I see things in this movie as being a bit like the aftermath of the fall of the Roman Empire. No one was able to step up and grab control, so the galaxy has been split among various regional factions.

Fundamentally, the Empire was the Republic, so it makes sense no one was left outside of the Enpire to even remotely take control.

Palpatine/The Empire had the kind of power to make it all just kind of go away.

The Jedi Purge within the systems under the control of the Empire would be just a nasty propaganda story perpetrated by the Rebel scum....kinda like what the Chinese communists insist is the "incident" at Tiananmen Square....just an incident not a massacre...

I was thinking the same thing...and it kind of goes well with the qoute from Kylo Ren about "finishing what he (Vader...or at least how he/his group sees it) started"...it is easy to imagine growing up in the clusterF after the destruction of the second Death Star....ORDER and PEACE across the galaxy suddenly a stolen dream....think supporters of dictators like Hussain....their regimes are toppled and suddenly your world turns into a mess...you may yearn for the "good old days".....FIRST ORDER may refer to this vision of a Galactic ORDER promised to Luke by Vader during their Bespin duel....

based on Star Wars Uprising, the Empire has had systems under lock down, they deny the emporers death, and the destruction of DS2. It also says the Rebels had heavy loses at Endor and are still struggling to survive. I think the end celebration on Endor could be seen as only winning the fight, but not the war.

Star Wars Uprising is leading to FA, and the story line seems to say that the history since Yavin, have been hidden from the public. Its really making the FA look like what its looking to be.

based on Star Wars Uprising, the Empire has had systems under lock down, they deny the emporers death, and the destruction of DS2. It also says the Rebels had heavy loses at Endor and are still struggling to survive. I think the end celebration on Endor could be seen as only winning the fight, but not the war.

Star Wars Uprising is leading to FA, and the story line seems to say that the history since Yavin, have been hidden from the public. Its really making the FA look like what its looking to be.

So I guess maybe I am not clear on how "Force sensitives" come about....were they "detected" by the Jedi Council?....If so, I would assume similar methods would be used by the Emperor....or is that what the Inquisitors do (sorry have yet to watch Rebels)....

So anyway.....did force sensitive kids stop being born after a certain point? TFA takes place 30 years after the Emperor has died....somehow the remnants of the Empire kept searching out for Force sensitives to eliminate them....or suddenly there were no more being born? Or this that part of the whole Force Awakens again plot?

So I guess maybe I am not clear on how "Force sensitives" come about....were they "detected" by the Jedi Council?....If so, I would assume similar methods would be used by the Emperor....or is that what the Inquisitors do (sorry have yet to watch Rebels)....

So anyway.....did force sensitive kids stop being born after a certain point? TFA takes place 30 years after the Emperor has died....somehow the remnants of the Empire kept searching out for Force sensitives to eliminate them....or suddenly there were no more being born? Or this that part of the whole Force Awakens again plot?

The Galaxy is vast and even the Emperor/Empire could not control ever single planet and Jedi/Sith are not the only Force users (Dothmer).

Ashoka, Obi-one, Kanan, Yoda survived the purge so others did, and many Force Sensitive people overlooked by the Empire/Republic would have lived their lives oblivious to their gifts, and Also the Galactic Republic existed for many, many thousands of years.

The Galaxy is vast and even the Emperor/Empire could not control ever single planet and Jedi/Sith are not the only Force users (Dothmer).

Ashoka, Obi-one, Kanan, Yoda survived the purge so others did, and many Force Sensitive people overlooked by the Empire/Republic would have lived their lives oblivious to their gifts, and Also the Galactic Republic existed for many, many thousands of years.

Is that speculation based on the EU material?

Edited by myk

One problem about the Empire trying to down play the Rebel victory at Endor is that the Special Editions showed everyone around the galaxy having a party that Emperor is dead.

Now let's talk about something really important!

Kylo is basically worshipping Vader's burnt helmet. How did he aquire it? He must have traveled to Endor and took it. Does this mean Kylo and the current Empire took their revenge on those freaking Ewoks?

Kylo ain't Luke. Look at Kylo's(Adam Drivers) hair when he confronts Finn in the trailer. People complaining about the trailer telling u so much, I think they left a TON of stuff out, and some pretty vital characters(Snoke, Maz and Luke obviously). Now, JJ with his "secrets" that aren't really(Khhaaannn!) may leave something to be desired, but I'm hoping it's fun.

Nobody seems to miss C-3PO...

I demand this scene be in the movie.

Open on Jar Jar Binks: "I be guessing weesa notso gonna be free."

End scene.

Then Kylo Ren frees him, as Ren is one of the Knights of the Empire, and dedicated his life to liberating the man responsible for Palpatine's rise to power, the power behind the throne, the kingmaker himself, JarJar Binks.

Edited by JB0

Also, when thinking about the battle of Endor and Vaders "Redemtion" and death. Only Luke knows this for certain. Everyone else either died on the DS2 or evacuated. The Empire could also easily spin that too. So Kylo Ren and others would still think he was a badass, scary individual not knowing his change of heart in the end. Hence the "I will finish what you started" line.

Chris

The hype I have for this film is unreal. Cant wait for it! :D

Kylo definately believes Vader was ruthless and dark till the very end, only Luke saw Vader redeem himself,no one else saw and even if they did they would just see Vader die....while running for their lives on the DSII. Im betting Luke wont show up till the very end,like a Old hermit that senses something that peaks his interest.

The hype I have for this film is unreal. Cant wait for it! :D

Kylo definately believes Vader was ruthless and dark till the very end, only Luke saw Vader redeem himself,no one else saw and even if they did they would just see Vader die....while running for their lives on the DSII. Im betting Luke wont show up till the very end,like a Old hermit that senses something that peaks his interest.

You have to remember with these guys that they believe what they're doing is necessary and right. Kylo isn't sitting there saying to himself "dark and evil is cool, I'm gonna be that." They don't think of themselves that way. To ruthlessly exert their power without restraint is just a means to an end.