Okay... I can almost understand the idea of a Han Solo origins story being made; it's unnecessary, uninspired, meritless, and entirely superfluous, but I can see why they'd think it has appeal. However, between AOTC and TCW series, Boba Fett's backstory has already been stablished, so what would be the point?

Starkiller or Jaina Solo would make better candidates. They could bring Starkiller's video game story into the big screen, or create a whole new one for Jaina.

IMO, bringing back the old characters from the original trilogy is going to create a lot of problems. Origin stories will be somewhat hard, because Luke's origin and greatest moment was told in completion in the original trilogy, and Han Solo's origin really doesn't interest me at all. He becomes a smuggler and befriends a Wookie; what more you need to know?

DISCLAIMER: I've only watched the movies and played the first Force Unleashed game. I've little to no knowledge of the novels (having only read one as a teen) or the comics.

Edited by GU-11

Screw it: just go way back in time and do a trilogy set during the Knights of the Old Republic/The Old Republic era.

Bioware's practically written the basic plots for them already.

Or they could go the comic book route and go with the Jedi who's considered incompetent, not exactly great at lightsaber fighting, and was assessed with "marginal" Force powers. Would be a bit of a change of pace from the typical Jedi we've seen already.

Just a random, "throw it at the wall and see if it can stick" idea.

One of the reasons, amongst many, why I say that the whole franchise needs a reboot, starting with Ep 1 and moving forward. It needs to eb written in such a way too that the big reveals in 5 and 6 regarding family and paternity are still surpises, at least the reveal at the end of 5.

Funnily enough, before Episode III came out, I thought they would do exactly that... make it look like Anakin died, three-quarters of the way through the film, then jump ahead six months or a year, with the Emperor's new assistant Darth Vader gaining fame (and Padme, sick and dying, but taking care of Leia).

And I'm with RenegadeLeader1... I don't really care what happens with Star Wars anymore... although I'm still kinda curious, I'll admit.

I will bet that these "spin off" films will just use resources (scripts, whatever.....) that were prepared for the vapourware SW TV series. (IF any actual work went into the show.......)

I will bet that these "spin off" films will just use resources (scripts, whatever.....) that were prepared for the vapourware SW TV series. (IF any actual work went into the show.......)

Except they've already announced Lawrenxe Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are writing them. Not to be an ass, but is anyone actually bothering to read any of the news coming out? There is so much conjecture and fan fiction in this thread right now it's practically off topic.

Except they've already announced Lawrenxe Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are writing them. Not to be an ass, but is anyone actually bothering to read any of the news coming out? There is so much conjecture and fan fiction in this thread right now it's practically off topic.

The thread is about Star Wars movies upcoming, not about Han Solo. What is the best source for actual accurate news? Everything I read starts off like news, then I realize its just fan speculation halfway in.

Bah, Lucas and his cronies are deceptive at the least, outright liars at the worst. I wouldn't waste my time readying any of their press. It is not "news" and all we are going to get is conjecture until the trailers come out..... :p

Bah, Lucas and his cronies are deceptive at the least, outright liars at the worst. I wouldn't waste my time readying any of their press. It is not "news" and all we are going to get is conjecture until the trailers come out..... :p

When these side-stories were first announced, I think the general assumption was that Disney would do like they had with their Marvel properties; that is, they would tie into the larger sequel trilogy in some way. Even though Solo, Fett, and Yoda are only rumors at this point, it's probably safe to say they are out there because they've been discussed internally. Even if they were just kicking the tires on those story ideas, the Marvel model might not be what we are getting here.

Edited by Duke Togo

How about side-stories as web series leading up to Episode 7? I don't know if I want to suffer through 2-3 extra $100-200 million 2-hour theater outings just make way for Episode 7...and 8...and 9. The draw on that would be they don't need to hire a big name to draw in the crowds and it would be great viral marketing.

I'd like to see something new. Why ruin the mystique of great characters? They already did that with Vader and to some degree Boba Fett.

That is the best idea possible. Helps to dodge continuity problems too......

While I share concern that Disney's strategy to expand the Star Wars franchise into as many money making ventures as it can is dangerous, I think many of you should consider the potential advantages (however inadvertant) that some of these films can represent. To my eyes, these spin-off films about certain Star Wars characters represent more creative opportunity for a great film than sequeling/prequeling the Star Wars trilogy yet again (even with Abrams helming).

For starters, there would be far fewer contraints on these standalone films than the next trilogy. The new trilogy MUST be a trilogy and it MUST be a grand, space opera style film. But these spin-off movies? The story/style possibilities are much broader and more open-ended. The type of story, even in the constraints of a PG movie, can be more varied. They could be action films. They could be dramatic films. They could be anything. Imagine a Han Solo story told as a heist film or a revenge tale. Imagine a Boba Fett story told as a chase film or a prison film. So many more possibilities than just an epic space opera.

Also, each of the spin-off films would require a completely different creative team placed in the hands of a unique filmmaker. While some of the films will doubtless fall to lesser directors, there is the very likely possibility of real talent being attached to these films. Imagine a Star Wars spin-off film with a Neil Blomkamp, or a Dan Trachtenberg, or a Pete Travis, or...the list goes on. In the hands of a young filmmaker taking full advantage of the opportunity to craft a singular vision, there's the chance one of these spin-off movies could actually be a legitimately awesome film.

I think these spin-offs have me far more excited about Star Wars again than the thought of yet another trilogy.

The problem is that they have WAY too much going on at once, just like Star Trek they are going to end up flooding the market with too much - not every movie can have a top notch script and when pushing out 3 or 4 into the production pipeline at once, well, some are going to suffer.

I seriously doubt they are going to make use of the oppurtunity, the bland nature of the proposed spinoff films is enough for me to not be hopeful. (An old republic movie, or something NOT directly related to any existing character would have been interesting)

That's a fair assessment, but I'd say look at these new Star Wars films realistically. Let's admit from the beginning most of these new films are going to be crap, regardless of how many are made or how soon. That's the track record of Hollywood. But as I said, these standalone features represent more potential for a good film and the key word I wrote was inadvertantly. The press releases so far certainly don't lead me to believe they are planning to make good Star Wars movies, but odds are good they might make one or two by accident. As time goes on it's a given more terrible Star Wars films are to be released and the motivation to ensure the brand remains viable will guide Disney toward thinking they should done initially (better scripts, better directors, better ideas, etc). Happens all the time; the Bond films are a perfect example, as are the Marvel films. Honestly, I've long since accepted that big ticket garbage finances the finer few. So let most sit through a horde of horrible Star Wars films so long as a few gems come of it. IMO, those gems are the only new Star Wars films worth getting excited about.

Abrams has already shown us his idea of an upgrade of a dated franchise with his Trek movie, and I think that's what Disney expects him to do with Star Wars, too. Visually, it will be as opulent as the prequels, cause that is the given standard of a contemporary Space Opera, (maybe they'll dial down the Flash Gordon elements), the story can't possibly be as contrived as the prequel's plot, but most importantly, Abrams can actually direct living actors. Lucas' poor talent in writing and his stiff handling of all the potentially great characters (and actors) really drove the final nail into the Star Wars coffin.

I expect Abrams to make a movie that will have the hardcore SW followers tear their hair out, but that doesn't mean that the movie won't be more entertaining than Lucas' movies.

The way I see it, the only way to fix things would be for disney to hunt down all existing copies of Ep I-III and utterly destroy them. And do the job well. That is, they should find a way to make videotapes, digital copies and so on just evaporate like, uh, by pressing a button or something like that.

Edited by nexxstrait

The Latino Review is reporting that Harrison Ford has signed on to once again play Han Solo in Episode VII. Of course, this is just a rumor until we get the official confimation, but it should be noted that TLR is pretty good when it comes to news leaks.

Ford know's where his bread is buttered, besides, it's not like he's been super busy lately.

Not sure about Ford. His character was a dashing, charming, action hero... He is a little too old to be that. How did he seem in the last Indy? Different character but still. He really can't pull that off anymore.

Not sure about Ford. His character was a dashing, charming, action hero... He is a little too old to be that. How did he seem in the last Indy? Different character but still. He really can't pull that off anymore.

I don't know, I think a bitter divorced solo with a slight "hero spark" might work well in general.

"My woman left me, my Wookie is dead, but f%ck it, why not!"

Edited by Keith

Yeah, he aged badly just to annoy you and ruin your expectations. (He's 61 FFS!)

I said he didn't age well, not that he shouldn't age at all. Harrison Ford is older than him and he looks in much better shape...at least he didn't put on so much weight like Hamill did.

** edited for typos.

Edited by GU-11