v2 1/72nd scale Monstar.

mslz22

I hope to be back on this in 3 weeks after I finish molding up the 3 foot TOS galactica that i have been working on.

The idea of installments is brilliant, and it may really help me to finish as i can tackle it in smaller bites. I am thinking 3 installments, body, arms, and legs. Body would be up first as it's rotocast and rotocast needs to be done in fair weather, I can rotocast up to about mid Dec, then it's just too cold for that. The arms are also rotocast but that can be the last installment in spring with legs getting done in the middle winter months.

If that sounds like a plan i will concentrate on the body once i can get back on this.

thanks

mike

I hope to be back on this in 3 weeks after I finish molding up the 3 foot TOS galactica that i have been working on.

The idea of installments is brilliant, and it may really help me to finish as i can tackle it in smaller bites. I am thinking 3 installments, body, arms, and legs. Body would be up first as it's rotocast and rotocast needs to be done in fair weather, I can rotocast up to about mid Dec, then it's just too cold for that. The arms are also rotocast but that can be the last installment in spring with legs getting done in the middle winter months.

If that sounds like a plan i will concentrate on the body once i can get back on this.

thanks

mike

A 3 foot Galactica.... Holy Frak! Is there anything you can't build? Also installments is a good way to go, I've been doing it with my business lately and its been a big help.

• 4 weeks later...

After the enormous 1/350 Enterprise from Polar Light I fear nothing ! Come on your space baguette from hell, do your best !

And yes, i'm serious when talk about a 1/2500 scale, BUT i'm a pratical guy and know some dreans never come true, so i'll be satisfeid with a 1/2500, right ? Can we place our orders, mslz22 ? ;)

• 3 months later...

Ok, hope to keep my word this time. I've been working on this again as much as i can, very motivated to finish it right now. I still need to put the finishing touches on the boss pod build i am doing, then finishing up the first installment of this pattern. Body and engine section revisions are just about done, will start panel lines and details sometime this week.

Fingers crossed that i can actually get this off the ground soon.

thanks

mike

006_zpse1539c1f.jpg

It really is huge, i actually forgot just how big this thing is. Hopefully the rotocast parts will keep the weight down on this second version. I am still going to keep the feet mostly solid, just so the weight is at the bottom, should help with stability.

mike

Legs and feet are almost done, little smoothing out, then detailing then ready to go. Pics with a normal size spray can to show just how big this monstar is....

Hip connection will be really secure on this and legs will be "action pose", kind of like the pic above.

Legs and feet will be installment 1, hoping to have it molded up in about 3 weeks.

thanks

mike

002_zps2bd058e3.jpg

006_zps19941943.jpg

Mike, v2 is lookind lime a massive improvement over v1. Nice job. I am saving these pics and and will try and include thw upgrades in my v1 build.

I gotta tell you that I get why this has taken so long. This kit is huuuuuge an really sucks up build time.

Also which kit I is the 1/72 vf-1j?

Cheers,

Brett T

wow, that's massive!!!! Awesome work as always! can't wait to see it finished!!

I second the question on what kit that 1/72 1J is?

Heavily modified Bandai 15th anniversary kit, not 100% done yet, will likely start a thread when it's all the way done and list the mods. Little better pic for now.

thanks

mike

021_zps774b539e.jpg

019_zpsc16d4603.jpg

016_zpsc73e590b.jpg

014_zps44e6454d.jpg

So i just got some renders today for the "wheel" on the upper leg, the only part i am not doing myself, having my buddy who does 3d stuff get one grown for me. I have a couple things i need him to tweak, then off to the printer. Once that is done i will finish up the last bits on the legs and get molding...

thanks

mike

I dreaded making that part on mine - 19 years ago for the 1/100th and the 1/350th now. There's no easy way to do it! So do you have a price yet for parts/installments? - MT

It's a part that I kitbashed from a 1/9 Kettenkrad on my first version, it's a tough part more because it looks like an all day project for just a single part. Luckily my buddy did not mind, because i guess in 3d he only had to make 1 "slice" then replicate it to fill in the whole wheel.

As far as price, I am still trying to figure something out. It's just a huge kit. The kitspower semi recast one on ebay seems to go for like $550-$600 ish + overseas shipping. I'm thinking I need to be somewhere in the 3 installments of like $150 + shipping for each installment. To keep that in perspective it's only about $60 more than the Capt's 1/72nd glaug was when he release it, and this monster is probably 3 or 4x the amount of materials of that. So even at the 3 installments of $150, i would be happy just to cover costs.

If this was one of the other type of kits i do it would easily be in the $600 range, and that would be for molding and casting, never mind the time put into the pattern.

I'll see if i can do better than that on the price, I don't want to do all this work just to price it out of range for everyone, there's no point in that either.

thanks

mike