v2 1/72nd scale Monstar.

mslz22

So after years and years i am really hoping to get this going soon. Casting season is finally wrapped up with only a few odds and ends to send out so i really hope to get more time in on this. Here is just a rough preview, i am hoping by posting it will get me motivated to really get moving on this. The body has been almost completely reworked, the nose, the cannon mounts, side panels, back end have all been reworked or tweaked a bit. It has also been set up for rotocasting. Same with the arm, almost nothing of the original remains, it's a bit longer and more aggressive looking. back end of the gun is complete rework as well, also set up for rotocasting. The engine compartment has had some tweaks as well. New foot also compete rework, will be cast in multiple parts and will be "angled" so that the monstar can have a more aggressive stance.. I still have a lot to do but I have been making progress. I think the only things that will really remain from the V1 will be the arms and even those will get some upgrades. I will be doing my best to make sure this will look at home with the Capt's destroids in the detailing department.

thanks

mike

124_zps17b33b10.jpg

112_zps731f5ae8.jpg

117_zps803e48f7.jpg

Michael Knite in the background, "KITT come help, I'm being sanded and crushed by this big gray thing!" :lol:

Looking great! Building it bigger and better! Can't wait to see the next installment! - MT

LOL. I think I used to have the KITT and Michael Knight set. The door opens and you can sit him in it. It was an awesome toy.

One man can make a difference, and that man is you Michael.

Tantanana Tantanana Tantanana nana!!!

Michael Knight versus the new, Macross version of "Goliath?"

"Michael...That...BRUTE!...That...MONSTER!...It's coming this way!"

(I'm actually building Goliath out of the Snap-Tite Peterbilt COE and 40'Freuhauf trailer (30+yr old kits))

Yes, please let us know if/when you're taking orders and price range. I'm in for at least two.

Man, I'd love to see your workshop sometime! There's quite a bit of "awesomeness" going on with the different genre projects.

We use the same medium to high density foam in the shop here at work. Freeman's "Renshape." Cool stuff...but EXPENSIVE!

Are the 1:24 Valks still available (kit or built)?

Yeah the Renshape is used sparingly if possible. For the real big stuff like the boss pod I use precision board plus modeling foam board. There is an extra step or two involved in finishing but for stuff with a lot of volume it's a lot less expensive, something like the boss pod with renshape would be cost prohibitive.

I am actually in the process of updating the shop a bit, just got a milling machine in, plus upgraded the lathe to a Nova 3 chuck to increase the ease of use on that. I have been wanting a mini milling machine for a long time, i have always had to "fake" certain procedures to get around owning one but figured the time had come to get one. I am hoping that it will increase the accuracy and speed of work.

I should be able to do a few more valks in the spring if you guys want one...

thanks

mike

That's great you got a mill. I just got one last week. I've been using my drill press with an X-Y table. It's worked, but was VERY limited in the bits I could use and adjustments I could make. Plus it wasn't rigid enough to machine metal. The next step will be to get a lathe come tax time. I'm probably going with Sherline sice they have a awesome reputation and they chucks and parts will go with my mill! Show us some pics sometime. A couple of us are talking about starting up a machining thread to help out theose wanting to get started. - MT

Which mill did you get? I got the "standard" cheap home one, i guess what is commonly referred to as the X2, the Central Machinery one from harbor freight, almost the same as the grizzly one. I got it on sale so i used the savings to get the upgraded belt drive conversion kit as well from Little machine shop. It will allow for an increase in the RPM, eliminate the broken gear thing, and quiet it down significantly.

I should be able to do some aluminum stuff but i really got it to work with Renshape, it should be more than enough to handle that. My metal work would, at least at first, be only for aluminum armatures for the bigger models that i do.

For the lathe i have shopfox 1704, i just upgraded it with a Nova 3 chuck, which should improve it significantly. Again, renshape is the material i will be using mostly so it should be powerful enough to handle that.

thanks

mike

That's great you got a mill. I just got one last week. I've been using my drill press with an X-Y table. It's worked, but was VERY limited in the bits I could use and adjustments I could make. Plus it wasn't rigid enough to machine metal. The next step will be to get a lathe come tax time. I'm probably going with Sherline sice they have a awesome reputation and they chucks and parts will go with my mill! Show us some pics sometime. A couple of us are talking about starting up a machining thread to help out theose wanting to get started. - MT

That's awesome! I'd like the room to go with the Seig X2, but it's size and weight are actually too much for my bench. Plus I have to shuffle my machines around (and leave room for the children to build with me occasionally ^_^ ). I would love to work with Renshape, it's just so expensive! I'm going to try the Captain's particle board idea and see how that fares for the next build.

Micro Mark came up with the Micro Mill (versus the Mini Mill that you have). It's huge compared to my drill press (which Seig actually markets as the X0). But it's a custom build for them. It's like Sherline's stuff (same size spindle too), but it's rugged cast iron, the neck can go all the way down to 90 degrees (parallel to the table). I can actually lathe with it in that position. Another bonus was that it didn't need any cleanup (no red grease all over). It's about 50 lbs, belt drive, 0-2800 RPM and 150W motor. There are some great billows covering the slides and it's got zero adjustable wheels on it.

I think your X2 will be perfect for what you're doing. LMS also has bigger tables for your machine too if you need it. Are you getting a rotary table for your X2. They REALLY broaden your capabilities! Please post machining photos of your progress and builds! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Late again, I believe :rolleyes:

As I said in the Monster thread, I'm interrested :wub:

What would be the price range, for the 1/72 MonstAr ^_^ ?

Please?

I'm in awe seeing the pic :D

Hey guys, working on this some this week. Got the new leg struts built and working on refining the foot some more. The leg struts will be cast in 4 parts and they are quite beefy. I still expect this for springtime, keeping my fingers crossed...

thanks

mike

010-9_zps0583a447.jpg

Man, that's gonna be HUGE! As I'm working on mine, I think it will fit on top of that coke can! How much are you thinking of charging for these? I'll have one in 1/350 (pending), 1/300 (Justiciar's Kit), 1/200, and 1/100. Getting one in this scale would be cool too! Yes, I LOVE the Monster! - MT

Edited by MechTech

I scratchbuilt the 1/100 a long time ago and the 1/350th is a WIP; more on that later (I don't want to hijack this thread). So I'm hoping rotocasting will mean less resin and a lower price :rolleyes: - MT

• 3 months later...

I always love seeing progress on this. An in-scale monster is sorely missing from my model shelf so I hope I can afford one once you finish it.

• 3 months later...

A little progress here and there, nothing spectacular.

I am sad to say that i got myself into a situation i thought I was smart enough to avoid, too many works in progress. I have about 5 kit patterns at the 80% complete mark, this being the only macross one. My plan right now it to tackle one at a time and stay focused on one pattern until it's done, then move onto the next one, and not start any new ones until at least two or three are done.

I have been working non stop on a 3 foot yet to be announced kit (not macross), once that is done i will basically flip a coin to see what's next in line from the 5 unfinished patterns. I likely can't think all that straight until this first pattern, which is the most difficult of all, is done and behind me.

The good news is that my youngest daughter is starting real pre school next week, I will be back up to a 5 or 6 day a week work schedule for the first time in 4 years. Hoping to get very productive again.

thanks

mike

Edited by mslz22

So i have an idea/dream about how to sell this... welll, Monster ! Just do like our dear Captain makes with the Legioss, released the model in separate installments (arm, leg, torso, guns, as you wish), each installment roughly 2 months apart. You will have time to make it calm and mixing with other projects and we buyers will have time to reserve money to pay it ! ( i'm very concern with the payment because here on Brazil the exchange rate between dolar and our money are terrible these days, US$ 1.00 = R$ 2,40, so (for ex.) if the final model finish around US$ 300.00 i'll pay almost R$ 570.00 without shipping ! And it's half of my paycheck ! I don't know the situation of another dudes outside USA but for me is very difficult, specially because i really want this babe, but still need to eat !) For me separate installments in a such big project is the ideal solution.

Just an idea to think about, my 2 cents !