Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

It looks so much more awesome than the concept art.

It looks so much more awesome than the YF-29.

Love me some (stylized) delta wings.Would love to see how the armament pack in between the legs would look with a beam cannon instead of a missile launcher.

Edited by Raptor One

It looks so much more awesome than the YF-29.

Love me some (stylized) delta wings.Would love to see how the armament pack in between the legs would look with a beam cannon instead of a missile launcher.

Well, Kawamori did say that it is a multipurpose module, so I'm sure you'll get your wish!

I agree, it does look awesome but I don't think it looks more advanced than the YF-29.

I guess that's all down to personal opinion, but I like it when the Valks jump ahead in design. The VF-17 or VF-19 as main stream fighters looked great but when the VF-25 rolled out you could really see the evolution of the design.

You can still see the 25 in the 29 no doubt about it, but the YF-30 looks closer to the YF-24 rather than an evolutionary step forward.

This doesn't account for design specs, weaponry and so forth - purely a few comments based souly on the visual design.

I still like it....

Well, Kawamori did say that it is a multipurpose module, so I'm sure you'll get your wish!

it would be nice if it was completely removable. I don't hate it in battroid mode but I think it also looks fine without it in fighter mode and I would just like the option.

I'm having difficulty with it. I mean, design-wise it doesn't look like it advanced much from the VF-25 or the YF-29.

I guess me main beef is that, at a certain point, Kawamori decided to start putting the arm joint in GERWALK mode in front of the wing instead of slung below it. Ever since then, every GERWALK mode, which I always thought of as the most unique and exciting, visually, has kind of looked like poop to me. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that these are all starting to look the same, and I'd have to agree. The YF-30 is no different.

I'm going to sound like a broken report but I'd like one in low vis please. I'm in love with the fighter mode but it saddens me that it'll be hard to procure one. Still I'll never be able to resist any valk that has the slightest resemblance to the yf-22 /looks at his gaggle of sturmies :o .

Edited by raptormesh

While the frontier mecha are some of my favorites, what bugs me about them is that they all pretty much have the exact same transformation style. The only difference is the outer appearance of the mecha. With the Macross Plus era we had the VF-11, VF-17, YF-19, YF-21, and each one was pretty unique from the other in transformation and design, which made things more interesting. They also hid their wings pretty cleverly, which allowed for a flat back. All the Frontier mecha we’ve seen so far, besides the 171, basically have their wings sticking out behind them.

The plane looks really more like the Suchoi T-50. The back fins just remembered me of the YF-23 because the seem so lightly attached to the fighter.

I just watched the transformation of the YF-30 lego model. Looks different than the VF-25/VF-27/YF-29 scheme. Not a huge fan of the giant missile pod in the back of the Battroid =/ .

FYI:

I have to say YT videos with translated Japanese subtitles are hilarious! :D

Edited by Scyla

While the frontier mecha are some of my favorites, what bugs me about them is that they all pretty much have the exact same transformation style. The only difference is the outer appearance of the mecha. With the Macross Plus era we had the VF-11, VF-17, YF-19, YF-21, and each one was pretty unique from the other in transformation and design, which made things more interesting. They also hid their wings pretty cleverly, which allowed for a flat back. All the Frontier mecha we’ve seen so far, besides the 171, basically have their wings sticking out behind them.

Agree it's pretty lazy IMO the "angel wings" can only go so far. Even the 171's design is based on the 17.

I'm in for one, so long as I'm actually able to per-order one.

The vf-30 has been discussed allot in the Macross 30 game thread.

One of the theories that I liked the best is that this is a interceptor model.

The same fighter generation as the yf-29 but with a more specialized mission role.

This certainly looks nice.

The transformation has the arms on the sides, and in gerwalk those shoulders attach to the canards in front it looks like.

What's really cool though is the hip rotation that's built into the gerwalk mode. Bandai better ratchet joint that O_o

Now the biggest thing I got from this was, when he was talking about the big bar...

at 2:14 Kawamori-san states:

これはコンテーナとして、自由に交換出来る

"As this is a container, it can be exchanged freely"

So it can be exchanged for different bars depending on the mission. The default is that missile one, but apparently there is a Beam-module as well that goes length-ways. That would prolly be really easy to fire in Fighter mode even when stowed ^_^ I'd prolly take that Beam Module any day over the missile one O_O

Edited by Duymon

Did anyone else notice the how the intakes are designed on the test mold? The covers look like they work in the anime's, individual slats that rotate to open and close. I hope Bandai can pull off that gimmick as I have been waiting a long time for one of the manufacturers to figure that out.

This thing looks pretty cool but how does it relate to the YF-29? Personally to me it doesn't look as "advance" but is that because the YF-29 was specialized to fight Vajra while this is a more general purpose fighter like the VF-25? Also with the missile bank in-between the legs in fighter mode does that mean there will be no underwing missiles in fighter mode? I wonder if that was the intent, to keep the appearance as sleek and minimal as possible with less accessories to be made for the inevitable DX toy while the a Fast/Strike/Super packs being Tamashii exclusives and also adding all the ordinance. Sorry for the stupid questions.

Can't wait to see some low vis customs.

I agree, it does look awesome but I don't think it looks more advanced than the YF-29.

I guess that's all down to personal opinion, but I like it when the Valks jump ahead in design. The VF-17 or VF-19 as main stream fighters looked great but when the VF-25 rolled out you could really see the evolution of the design.

You can still see the 25 in the 29 no doubt about it, but the YF-30 looks closer to the YF-24 rather than an evolutionary step forward.

This doesn't account for design specs, weaponry and so forth - purely a few comments based souly on the visual design.

I still like it....

Yea I certainly don't think it looks more advanced than the YF-30 I just think it looks better. It seems like a step back in terms of capability. I'm betting that the YF-30 was developed by based on the YF-24 either by another colony or by the earth itself but since the Frontier (and Galaxy) fleet(s) kept taking all the numbers, they ended up with the YF-30 designation lol. Makes me wonder what the YF/VF-26 looks like

I'd bet that the YF-30 will be the last valk based on the YF-24 platform though.

it would be nice if it was completely removable. I don't hate it in battroid mode but I think it also looks fine without it in fighter mode and I would just like the option.

I'm sure it can be removed. Probably standard procedure once the missiles are depleted. It kind of remiinds me of Gundam Kyrios' optional missile pack, except built in.

What's cool about the concept is that it allows for different add-ons without having to change the airframe itself. Like they could easily swap it out for a radome attachment without having to make an entirely new RVF version (although I guess they would have to change the avionics and stuff).

Edited by Raptor One

This certainly looks nice.

The transformation has the arms on the sides, and in gerwalk those shoulders attach to the canards in front it looks like.

What's really cool though is the hip rotation that's built into the gerwalk mode. Bandai better ratchet joint that O_o

Now the biggest thing I got from this was, when he was talking about the big bar...

at 2:14 Kawamori-san states:

これはコンテーナとして、自由に交換出来る

"As this is a container, it can be exchanged freely"

So it can be exchanged for different bars depending on the mission. The default is that missile one, but apparently there is a Beam-module as well that goes length-ways. That would prolly be really easy to fire in Fighter mode even when stowed ^_^ I'd prolly take that Beam Module any day over the missile one O_O

Sounds like a new Tamashii Web Shop exclusive weapon set to me. I kinda dig the idea of a giant beam rifle that looks over the shoulder of the Valkyrie. Like the strike gun did on the VF-1s. Maybe the gun can transform too so it fills the space in the back of the plane that would be awesome! More parts to fiddle with :D . Unfortunately that also means more spare parts in storage :(

Edited by Scyla

Ugh, why don't the tail fins attach to the legs? Otherwise, it looks great.

I also wonder if the cockpit will be exposed on the back, with the launcher moving over the shoulders. If the wings folded up to cover that gap, I'd be happy too.

(null)

No, because apparently the cockpit sits laterally (horizontal to the ground if the battroid is standing), unlike the VF-25 and its derivatives.

Did anyone else notice the how the intakes are designed on the test mold? The covers look like they work in the anime's, individual slats that rotate to open and close. I hope Bandai can pull off that gimmick as I have been waiting a long time for one of the manufacturers to figure that out.

Takara did something very similar on the first Masterpiece Optimus Prime, on the lower legs. They were much larger slats/legs though, the mechanism would have to be much smaller for a valk.

weird the prototype looks more like a plastic model kit.. there's no seam ore plastic gap.. that suggesting it as a transformation toys..

It's just a 3D printout to get the fighter proportions. If its a toy then they'll start cutting the different components in.

I also agree here.

Looks like the VF-4G is the last "unique" Macross design to go into toy form unless Yamato goes scraping the bottom of the barrel for the older, more crazy designs (which I would love BTW).

I'm liking this one for the kick ass scheme and the delta wing-ish fighter mode (because it reminds me of the VF-0D). Battroid, with the now too common backpack wings is just meh. I do appreciate the missile gimmick but the execution looks a bit crude and more of a Robotech/Mospaeda injoke.

If the future holds the same basic design over and over, I can see my vak collecting ending with this awesome little fighter.

I also agree here.

Looks like the VF-4G is the last "unique" Macross design to go into toy form unless Yamato goes scraping the bottom of the barrel for the older, more crazy designs (which I would love BTW).

I'm liking this one for the kick ass scheme and the delta wing-ish fighter mode (because it reminds me of the VF-0D). Battroid, with the now too common backpack wings is just meh. I do appreciate the missile gimmick but the execution looks a bit crude and more of a Robotech/Mospaeda injoke.

If the future holds the same basic design over and over, I can see my vak collecting ending with this awesome little fighter.

With a new Macross show there will be a new generation of Valkyries. Maybe we get then 2-3 new transformation schemes. And the original show only had the VF-1 Scheme right? Maybe Yamato is producing a Battle 7 model or some of the enemy fighters from Macross 7. They have never been done before don't they?.

With a new Macross show there will be a new generation of Valkyries. Maybe we get then 2-3 new transformation schemes. And the original show only had the VF-1 Scheme right? Maybe Yamato is producing a Battle 7 model or some of the enemy fighters from Macross 7. They have never been done before don't they?.

Yeah, cool new stuff could come out, but I’m just feeling a bit tired/old for this collecting thing :)

Looking as how Bandai is now a lot behind Macross I can see them steer the designs thinking about easier to make toys. With the Transformers movies, the toy makers had to catch up to the radical new designs that didn’t take them into account. Like them or not, the truth is that the toys after that did get a lot better and more imaginative (the TFanimated and first edition TFPrime toys really are a step above the boxes they did in Energon and such).

With Macross, since now FINALLY Bandai does see that the franchise can make money, we can expect more designs that think about the toys first like it happens with Gundam. Yes, the Tornado and the YF-29 look awesome, I like them too, but did the movies really need them that much?

Macross is fresh again so until they run it into the ground with similar looking toys don’t expect a huge change in aesthetics like they did with Gundam 00 or Gundam Age when the Gundam Seed designs cluttered the marked. Milking has worked with Bandai really well with Gundam so if they are calling the shoots, I expect that to be the way of thinking.

Again, I don’t want to put the post vf-25 designs down and I’m not against the Gundam business model (I have spend much money on little toys with the same samurai face too). I just feel that my connection with them is not as strong as with the SDFMacross to Mplus designs. For the VF-1 I waited 20 freaking years for a decent toy :D . Now the waiting period is just so short that I don’t even get worked up about it. Come on, I saw the VF-30 design for the very first time last week in the MW front page and now they are showing toy mock ups!!!

Maybe I’m beginning to feel that my Macross appetite has been satisfied. Heck, maybe a new series comes out next year with radical new designs, but I’m sure that if that happened I would not get as exited as I would for a Vampire or Cutlass toy.

I'm glad to see the transformation is differnet on the YF-30. I was starting to think Vf-25 clones were going to become the norm.

As for new stuff for Yamato to tackle, I'd love to see them step out of their comfort zone, i.e. variable fighters, and try their hand at something more unique: BG-5C Fatman http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/aircavalry/bg-5c.htm I'd love to have one of these in toy form on my shelf.