Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

I know how you feel about having the enemy fighter in your collection but if I had to choose, I think I would take the 30 before the 27. I am not sure about availability though as I tend to stop looking for stuff once they are secure. So really I guess it would actually boil down to availability if I was behind the curve in getting the pieces I want.

Can't argue though about the BFG!

Edited by Loop

What scale is this in? Couldn't find it in this thread but I see collectiondx saying that this is "roughly1/60 scale". The VF-25 also by Bandai were I think 1/72, but what scale is the YF-30 Chronos in?

Thanks.

What scale is this in? Couldn't find it in this thread but I see collectiondx saying that this is "roughly1/60 scale". The VF-25 also by Bandai were I think 1/72, but what scale is the YF-30 Chronos in?

Thanks.

Pretty sure the bandai DX Valkyries are closer to 1/60 than 1/72. I would call them 1/60ish.

• 7 months later...

Am not sure how you would define demand, but i dont see used ones being sold cheap (ie below its retail price, but then again most valks hold up ok) so i suppose there is still demand there.

For collectivity purposes...So far its the only YF-30 toy out there. No recolors nor variants, partly because it doesnt appear anywhere else?(ie manga/future delta episodes)..

And with all the 31 variants coming up, a DX 30 variant doesnt seem likely.

So from a long term perspective, would it be in more demand? For those who are valk completist's (is that a word?), maybe it would be..
I dont know if that helps or confuses you more :p

If I remember correctly (I think it was... jenius' review?), you can mount the 171 weapons on the 30's underside. I'd imagine the 31's weapons/super parts will be backwards compatible, too, so long as the mold doesn't change too much. (Or if it does, retrofitting them to the 30 will be easy enough.)

I'm thinking the YF-30 to VF-31 will be about as similar as the YF-19 to VF-19. Different just enough so nothing works between them.

YF-30 is still an awesome plane and has one of the best fighter modes we seen from Kawamori in a while. (Sorry super crazy sukhoi dildo nosed VF-25's and 29's)

I generally use the same rule for valks as for airliners---if you CAN close a door after the gear is down---do so.

(I imagine that the actuators etc for valk gear doors can be super-tiny due to overtech, and so have plenty of room to do so---vs being moved by the actual gear itself like in smaller planes)

I generally use the same rule for valks as for airliners---if you CAN close a door after the gear is down---do so.

(I imagine that the actuators etc for valk gear doors can be super-tiny due to overtech, and so have plenty of room to do so---vs being moved by the actual gear itself like in smaller planes)

In my experience, on most aircraft, doors that don't impede the gear are designed to close on the ground, and feature manual releases, either mechanical, or by virtue of built-in valve bypasses, for maintenance and servicing. On most of the valks,however, the mains only have a single door encompassing the entire gear well area, preventing them from closing when the gear are extended. The VF-0, VF-1, and VF-4 are notable exceptions, off the top of my head. But then, overtech is hardier stuff than stainless steel and aircraft grade aluminum alloys, so they can ostensibly take the punishment. :)

It's actually good practice to have multiple doors, since closing them after extension reduces drag and helps prevent foreign object damage within the well area. FYI from a former maintainer.

Very silly question, but when the main gear on the -30 are deployed, do folks prefer to close the large doors or leave them open?

I leave them open to show as much of the parts count of the toy as possible. ^_^

...I probably should deploy the missile bay too. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

I leave the YF-30 front bay doors open because opening them scares the crap out of me, even now. I always feel like something's going to break

Oh yeah, the front bay doors on mine are terrifying as well. The first time I opened them, I must have spent half an hour going back and forth between the manual and the toy to make sure I was doing it right, and I even got some tweezers in the mix. It takes way too much force to get that hinge part to extend. They haven't gotten much better with use, either.

So.... guys.

Where are the rear thrusters on this thing in gerwalk mode? I.e., how does it fly forward in gerwalk mode?

As far as I remember every other Valk has some sort of thrust that can be used for this purpose; even the -25 has those tiny little things where the shield was connected in fighter mode. But I can't see any such thing on the -30.

Edited by aurance

Yeah. That's a good question. ;) But I didn't realize that the small exhaust things on the VF-25 shield connectors were some sort of thrusters. All the while I thought it was just exhaust something.

I assumed that the only way to thrust forward is to angle the legs towards the rear ala-semi-fighter-mode mode?

Edited by no3ljm

Yeah. That's a good question. ;) But I didn't realize that the small exhaust things on the VF-25 shield connectors were some sort of thrusters. All the while I thought it was just exhaust something.

I assumed that the only way to thrust forward is to angle the legs towards the rear ala-semi-fighter-mode mode?

Yep, first episode of Frontier I think, Alto coasts forward in gerwalk mode for a while using those thrusters after he rescues Ranka.

Damn, I really like the -30 but this is gonna bother me, haha. I'm silly like that I guess.

Yep, first episode of Frontier I think, Alto coasts forward in gerwalk mode for a while using those thrusters after he rescues Ranka.

Damn, I really like the -30 but this is gonna bother me, haha. I'm silly like that I guess.

Wait. It's going to bother you because of the missing thrusters for Gerwalk mode? You know that this is not a 'real' plane, right? j/k ;)

• 2 weeks later...

SWS on my YF-30.

You can or would barely notice, I think that's why most people in the Alto 29 thread that posted about the 30 were so surprised.

Anyway, no biggie - just one of those things.

-b.

SWS on my YF-30.

You can or would barely notice, I think that's why most people in the Alto 29 thread that posted about the 30 were so surprised.

Anyway, no biggie - just one of those things.

-b.

Yeah, my '30 has an upside down SMS on the left shoulder. I never thought anything of it because I assumed it was for legibility in fighter mode.

I agree. ;)

I don't think it's intentional on the YF-30. The SMS itself is written in the style of ambigram. And the way it's placed in fighter mode, in reverse of each other, I guess is quite alright. And by looking at the shoulder fins, should we start to complain that the NO STEP is upside down during battroid mode? :lol:

On the YF-29, we know that it's accidental since those shoulder armor parts is hidden underneath during fighter mode. So the only time those SMS logo is exposed is during battroid mode. In which, in my mind should be placed correctly when you're looking at the Valk. Just saying.

In other words, in YF-30, I'll undestand the upside down placement. With YF-29, no.

Maybe they made the reissue 29 in the same factory that pumped out the YF-30. The guy who did the Tampo on the left shoulders thought he was doing it right the whole time because he did the ones on the 30 the way they asked him to. :lol: