Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

YF-30 goes for so much these days. It's also one I'm fairly certain that Bandai will never, ever reissue. :(

Looking forward to the completed YF-30! 

I agree, I sure wish Bandai was better at re-issues, I'd love to have a Chronos without the aftermarket price tag. 

Which is so odd. There were several attractive schemes for it, I think, like the VF-27 and the Sv-262. Them going through the work of engineering it, making the molds, and then sitting on it is very un-Bandailike of them. 

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

Which is so odd. There were several attractive schemes for it, I think, like the VF-27 and the Sv-262. Them going through the work of engineering it, making the molds, and then sitting on it is very un-Bandailike of them. 

You mean these versions posted by @anime52k8 dated 2014/8/14 on page 83 correct? IIRC, @no3Ljm mentioned that these versions are from the Macross 30: The Ride somewhere in these various threads.

post-4286-0-12808400-1408075641_thumb.jpg

post-4286-0-01717400-1408075640_thumb.jpg

4 hours ago, borgified said:

You mean these versions posted by @anime52k8 dated 2014/8/14 on page 83 correct? IIRC, @no3Ljm mentioned that these versions are from the Macross 30: The Ride somewhere in these various threads.

post-4286-0-12808400-1408075641_thumb.jpg

post-4286-0-01717400-1408075640_thumb.jpg

Macross 30 voices across the galaxy.  Macross The Ride is something different.  But, yes, those are the two alternate liveries from the game.  Such a waste for Bandai to skip both of those.  They did give us the other alternate 29's.  Isamu and Ozma makes sense but the Percival over two of the hero schemes on a mold that can only be used from this game?

Edited by Mommar

@Lolicon Really nice work. I finally found one of this and it is now at the FJ warehouse. Can't wait to get it here.

But I will not have the skill to touch it up like you.

May I ask if you are using airbrush to add shadow to the panel line? I can't imagine pull off such a fine line consistently and accurately enough to produce such result. I might try to use some grey chalk to add some smoke like smudge along the panel line. Not sure if that will work well.

Thanks guys. This is a valkyrie I've been wanting to spruce up since I first got it, as it was one of Bandai's first truly modern valk toys (i.e. no glossy finish). :)

18 hours ago, kkx said:

@Lolicon Really nice work. I finally found one of this and it is now at the FJ warehouse. Can't wait to get it here.

But I will not have the skill to touch it up like you.

May I ask if you are using airbrush to add shadow to the panel line? I can't imagine pull off such a fine line consistently and accurately enough to produce such result. I might try to use some grey chalk to add some smoke like smudge along the panel line. Not sure if that will work well.

It's not hard to do. Just pick up some Tamiya weathering kits and some Q-tips (I prefer the cheaper Wal-mart brand as they're less soft and better for application than the name brand) and then go to town! If you're worried about messing up an expensive valk toy, just practice on some cheap gunpla kits first. ;)

11 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Gorgeous, simply beautiful @Lolicon another masterpiece to add to your collection.  Didn't go with the dark grey leading edge?

I always wondered about that leading edge. I was never sure if it was actually supposed to be grey or was just some weirdly rendered CG weathering effect. The alternate paint schemes posted earlier did not help that assessment. :lol: I did test it out with some weathering kit and it worked pretty well at lightening up the leading edge, but ultimately decided to skip it. It wouldn't be that hard to go back and add it if I change my mind later.

Also, I mounted the gunpod on the wrong spot on my earlier pics. Doh!

225519928_YF-30007.jpg.ab18af2f7c427e86ae60bfcb2a98d7f1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Honestly, I kinda regret selling my Chronos all those years ago.  It's easily the best-looking modern Valkyrie, far moreso than the VF-31 based on it.  Hope Bandai makes a V1.5 using the improved engineering from the VF-31.

Edited by Zip

6 hours ago, Zip said:

Honestly, I kinda regret selling my Chronos all those years ago.  It's easily the best-looking modern Valkyrie, far moreso than the VF-31 based on it.  Hope Bandai makes a V1.5 using the improved engineering from the VF-31.

I wouldn’t mind that. No brackets, and gunpod can stay attached with the missile pod deployed, something like that.

7 hours ago, Zip said:

50 minutes ago, aurance said:

I wouldn’t mind that. No brackets, and gunpod can stay attached with the missile pod deployed, something like that.

47 minutes ago, Zip said:

The ratched hips would have also done wonders with pose stability.

Plus the two repaints that @anime52k8 posted back in 2014/08/14 in Purple and Red from Macross: The Ride video game. 

3 hours ago, borgified said:

Plus the two repaints that @anime52k8 posted back in 2014/08/14 in Purple and Red from Macross: The Ride video game. 

It's actually from Macross 30: Voices Across The Galaxy. Macross The Ride or Macross R on the other hand is a light novel series. YF-30 Chronos was not featured in Macross The Ride light novel series. ;) 

11 hours ago, Zip said:

I'm baffled you decided to sell it to begin with.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:12 PM, Zip said:

And maybe made of plastic that doesn't yellow that badly. I've seen a trash yellowed Chronos going for clearance locally.

2 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Don't regret selling mine one bit, never really cared for the design and the toy wasn't executed that well to begin with.

-b.

45 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

TESTIFY.  Couldn't agree more. 

25 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Glad I'm not the only one lol

We will however have to back away of this thread cautiously, the 30 is beloved by many. :lol: :ph34r:

-b.

+2 Hahaha! :lol: 

But no plans of selling it due to the color scheme. ;)