Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

Honestly.. I think I kinda like the YF-30 better with no tails. It just looks better balanced, somehow, without those weak flappy looking things sticking out. Seriously, redesign the outer wing segments with tip tails like the MAXL, I could care less if the other tails even exist.

No :mellow:

I'm shocked people are saying this is better or on par with Yarcadia. It's cool but the braces for both GERWALK and Battroid make this fall way short for me. Of course, I'm expecting both braces to become way more necessary as this thing loosens up or as we start adding extras.

While I like the YF-30 design, A LOT, I also think Kawamori got lazy with the back kibble. The rear stabilizers should rotate up at the very least.

Mind showing us a pic about the wing, my right wing does not tab in completely and i noticed the plastic was not cleanly cut near the hinge but have yet to file it as that part is painted. Will do so when i can get matching paint for that area

Sorry it took so long. Here's the pic. It's not very obvious, but you can see a little bit of the tab from the top, showing that it had not gone completely in.

post-17838-0-26648500-1409808069_thumb.jpg

Received mine a week ago but only just opened it because my wife went into labor. Had a crack at Gerwalk last night and the waist swivel really adds a new dimension to it. Have yet to get to Battroid.

I read a post a while back that someone had heaps of trouble opening one of the front landing gear doors. That it was really tight. I have the same problem. You have to extend the doors before they swing out and the right door on mine Will. Not. Extend. Kinda scared ill break it if I try any harder. Might have to see if I can dismantle and loosen it. Knowing my luck though there will be glued.

And while this may be Bandai's finest Valk ever, it still lacks the polish of my Arcadia YF-19

Edited by Silverstreak

I'm shocked people are saying this is better or on par with Yarcadia. It's cool but the braces for both GERWALK and Battroid make this fall way short for me. Of course, I'm expecting both braces to become way more necessary as this thing loosens up or as we start adding extras.

While I like the YF-30 design, A LOT, I also think Kawamori got lazy with the back kibble. The rear stabilizers should rotate up at the very least.

I think people are just looking for reasons to hate Yamato/Arcadia. The 30 pretty clearly has a lot of flaws, I may be far less fortunate in that my Battroid modes absolutely will not stay together without the braces, but even still the people who do have Battroid modes that work without the brace say it's a tenuous connection. That right there spells trouble within a year or so IMO.

A bit of the trouble does have to do with Kawamori continually ignoring physics (Tornado Packs, hello.) The bottom half of battroid connecting right at the very front of the torso with all of that stuff dangling from the back is going to make designing a worthwhile connection a pain. Yamato came up with some pretty fancy mechanics to make the transformation for the VF-4 work (not that it's completely perfect either), Bandai just threw some braces in the box. They didn't even attempt to come up with ideas to design around the issues.

It's funny but I feel the complete opposite and love my Bandais over the Yamacadias (even though I hate the PO process) and still play with my YF-30 almost on a daily basis while my YF-19 just looks like a static fat toy (and I'm still trying to get together enough waterslide decals to do it justice) - its not very playable or fun to transform IMHO (too plasticky that I'm afraid for all the sharp fragile edges - just like my VF-4G which is amazing to look at, not so fun to transform or play with). The fact that it was $150 more also bites - that's whole other VF-25! At least for me, it seems like the Yamacadias require so much more work to (decal & weather) bring it up to the same level of display/finish as my Bandai renewals - of course a lot of that could be solved with more tampo printing, but also more consistent panel lines - the depths on the Yamacadias are so shallow on some and fine that they don't take a wash - but they vary so much!

I love kawamori as much as the next guy but this laziness with the 30 backpack and to a lesser extent the 29 backpack really concerns me. With the 29 he had an excuse for the gigantic, clumsy backpack because of the extending/collapsing wing gimmick. On the 30? I'd really like to know how the meeting for that one went.

-Nice design kawamori! but we can't figure out how to fold these tailfins away

-Oh those? They don't fold or anything they just hang off the bottom

-What? Seriously? Look there's a space for them right there in the wing!

I really don't like this new "eh who cares?" direction he's taking with the backpacks. Up until the 29 he did a good job of making them compact and appropriate for a humanoid machine used for hand to hand combat and diving and rolling and stuff like that.

Sorry it took so long. Here's the pic. It's not very obvious, but you can see a little bit of the tab from the top, showing that it had not gone completely in.

If anyone else figures out a fix for the wing droop issue, I'd be interested to hear about it. My YF-30 has the same issue. One wing is fine, the other wing feels like it sticks on something and won't seat right when it's out straight.

To clear things up, i wasn't trying to say the 30 is better than Yarcadia, I said Bandai is exceeding Arcadia in the strides they are making in their respective lines. They are evolving faster in my opinion, i tried to state that clearer in the comment that followed the first post. Yarcadia may still have an edge but that's comparing toy to toy, I'm comparing the speed of the toys evolution in improvements etc, not the toys quality against the other toy. This may be difficult to wrap around as I may not be communicating it the right way.

In short, I think Bandai evolved much faster from the v1 vf-25 to the renewal 25, 29, and 30 than Yarcadia evolved from their v1 1/60 to the VF-4G. I used those two examples because the 30 and the 4G are the height of engineering for each company from my view.

Edited by sreichma

To clear things up, i wasn't trying to say the 30 is better than Yarcadia, I said Bandai is exceeding Arcadia in the strides they are making in their respective lines. They are evolving faster in my opinion, i tried to state that clearer in the comment that followed the first post. Yarcadia may still have an edge but that's comparing toy to toy, I'm comparing the speed of the toys evolution in improvements etc, not the toys quality against the other toy. This may be difficult to wrap around as I may not be communicating it the right way.

In short, I think Bandai evolved much faster from the v1 vf-25 to the renewal 25, 29, and 30 than Yarcadia evolved from their v1 1/60 to the VF-4G. I used those two examples because the 30 and the 4G are the height of engineering for each company from my view.

I understand what you're saying and I think it's completely wrong. They already started including all sorts of weird additional attachments for gun pods on the VF-25's that weren't necessary. The Tornado Packs are... they're done so bad, the 171 CF is a timebomb that will go off no matter what and the 30 includes all sorts of additional, stupid clips because they couldn't be bothered to actually come up with real solutions to snap each of the pieces together properly. I hardly call that quick evolution. They've been devolving the last two years IMO.

I understand what you're saying and I think it's completely wrong. They already started including all sorts of weird additional attachments for gun pods on the VF-25's that weren't necessary. The Tornado Packs are... they're done so bad, the 171 CF is a timebomb that will go off no matter what and the 30 includes all sorts of additional, stupid clips because they couldn't be bothered to actually come up with real solutions to snap each of the pieces together properly. I hardly call that quick evolution. They've been devolving the last two years IMO.

What I don't understand is why—given how you consistently find massive fault with everything they produce—you keep buying Bandai products? :rolleyes:

Edited by anime52k8

Nah...just because we disagree doesn't mean we can't be critical of Yamarcadia. To put perspective on this evolution thing, Bandai only really do anything with Frontier. At best Frontier has like two or three Valks that have significantly different transformation schemes. As a result, I think their progression is pretty stagnant to be honest. The sample size is too small, I think. It's all good stuff to me but nothing mind blowing.

Edit: need to transform my 30s this weekend so maybe I'll end up changing my mind :)

Edited by xrentonx

Well when you phrase it like this I don't see how anyone could disagree. But that's mostly due to the fact that the v1 VF-25s were complete rubbish (especially considering when they were released and where Yamato was at the time), whereas the v1 VF-1s were pretty good for their time. So going from Rubbish to Impressive is a greater evolution that going from Pretty Good to Impressive, sure.

Hi saito, i have that problem on my left wing, if you fold down the wing, u will notice that there should be extra plastic on the hinge which was not cleanly cut off, thats whats causing mine to tab in completely on that side. Maybe you can check if yous is the same

What I don't understand is why—given how you consistently find massive fault with everything they produce—you keep buying Bandai products? :rolleyes:

You only think that because the last two things to be released by Bandai, the 30 and the Tornado parts, I have ripped in to. Overall the 30 is fun, I just think they were sloppy with their solutions to a lot of things and I don't like it. I am pretty down on the Tornado parts, though, they really just don't work on my 25's at all. However, I haven't said anything bad about my Isamu or Ozma 29's. I like them a lot. All of the base 25's are good, as are the super parts (minus Kawamori's inability to plan for the shoulders being trapped in Gerwalk... not Bandai's fault.) And the Alto 171 has been fine, other than the transformation not being much fun.

I think people are just looking for reasons to hate Yamato/Arcadia.

I think it's more like the opposite. More of the active posters in this board are quick to praise Yamato/Arcadia and diss Bandai for whatever reason. I'm actually glad that there are more people that are appreciating Bandai's effort in Macross products now. I like both companies' products, but neither are perfect and each have their own strengths over one another.

Not sure if this is about Bandai or a passionate defense of Yarcadia. I feel like I just called someones wife fat.

Yarcadia will forever be special to all of us. Mess with Yarcadia and reap the anger.

Yes. I've observed through the years that people are quick to defend Yamato/Arcadia if someone says something bad about them. On the other hand, if someone praises Bandai, they usually get ignored or get pounced upon.

Edited by ArchieNov