Bandai DX YF-30 Chronos

UN Spacy

perhaps this is just me being unobservant, but for those who have it on hand, can you post pictures of said "brace" and where it is?

Im quite curious about it and why is has some in a tizzle.

Its not the brace itself, its how dependant the battroid mode is on said brace. Without it the figure is just fiddly and very unstable. Because of the weight of the back kibble its just wants to fall backwards without the brace

Its not the brace itself, its how dependant the battroid mode is on said brace. Without it the figure is just fiddly and very unstable. Because of the weight of the back kibble its just wants to fall backwards without the brace

The brace isn't that necessary in battroid mode. the whole thing is more structurally sound than quite a few figures that didn't have any kind of optional brackets to hold them together (SV-51, YF-21, 1/60 YF-19 V1's, VF-171...)

Edited by anime52k8

My first copy just made it in and out of customs and apparently out of SFO, I should have it tomorrow if the post office does not screw me over lol. My second copy is being shipped Registered Air Mail, so it may take that dreaded trip through LA.

The brace isn't that necessary in battroid mode. the whole thing is more structurally sound than quite a few figures that didn't have any kind of optional brackets to hold them together (SV-51, YF-21, 1/60 YF-19 V1's, VF-171...)

This. You might need it for more dynamic poses, but mine has no trouble standing without it on my desk. It doesn't flop over when I bump my desk. I bet if I started shaking the desk the 171EX I have on the upper level would topple first.

You can't pick it up by the shoulders without the brace like you would another Bandai valk. But once you figure out to grab it either by the hinge, or with one finger above and one finger below the waist, you're fine.

Edited by MikeRoz

I can even get it solid enough to lift the weight of the toy by the shoulders/upper torso alone by positioning the missile launcher arm and wing backpack just right.

the main thing is the tabs that plug into the pelvis are easy to dislodge, they hold secure while it's standing and when you pick the toy up, but when you try moving the legs the whole lower body can become unplugged easily.

Edited by anime52k8

FedEx called me around noon saying they couldn't find my address and since it has to be signed they asked if I'd like to pick it up after 5. Said hell yes! Course tight schedule as I got a puppy vet visit at 6. So I drive over from work and low and behold it wasn't there and the driver was still in my city and would be back after 6. Got a little pissed this always seems to happen with FedEx. My appointment ended early so I went back and now the puppy is sniffing it.

I can even get it solid enough to lift the weight of the toy by the shoulders/upper torso alone by positioning the missile launcher arm and wing backpack just right.

the main thing is the tabs that plug into the pelvis are easy to dislodge, they hold secure while it's standing and when you pick the toy up, but when you try moving the legs the whole lower body can become unplugged easily.

This is good news. I was starting to worry about a stiff vs floppy YF-30 lottery. :p

Love those Gamu pics! So is it possible to lower the front gears with the gun stowed underneath in fighter mode without disturbing the gun?

Yes, because the front landing gear folds out the opposite way from the VF-25 and YF-29.

Uh, no it isn't. You have to pull the missile battery out in order to move the gun and get it out of the way of the gears.

I gotta check this again. Either I have my gun placed wrong or I'm having some premature memory loss from old age. Haha. But the front landing does swing toward the back right? I put it back in its box since my son's been bugging me to play with it.

I gotta check this again. Either I have my gun placed wrong or I'm having some premature memory loss from old age. Haha. But the front landing does swing toward the back right? I put it back in its box since my son's been bugging me to play with it.

It does swing towards the back, yes.

Hmmmm...you know...I think I'm ok with that as long as the gun stays stowed underneath.

It's not bad, you can slightly pop out the missile box, swing the gear down (if your gear door isn't so tight you'll break the gear door like on one of mine) and then pop the missile box back in.

Edited by Mommar

Well my YF-30 finally arrived this morning.. a few little hassles..

There are a few little paint scratches here n there though nothing that cant be carefully touched up I guess. There looks to be a stress mark in the plastic around the left hand side wing root hinge area.. like its been carelessly transformed previously.

The little locating tabs don't seem to lock in place so well either and keep popping out particularly on the underside where the left leg sits up against the missile pod and where the left wing sits up against the left leg.

The folding wing tip sections don't seem to want to lock into place very well either and sag down a little.

The pilot is standard issue DX junk, no better than the VF-25/29 pilots. Thought Dandai would've stepped up the quality a little there but no.. and the pilot just doesn't want to sit center in the cockpit and leans a tad to the left.. Not liking the design they chose to fix the vertical stabilizers (rudders) to the plane. They really do need a small notch or something there to indicate that you have them sitting on the correct angle when in fighter mode. And they seem like over time they could become loose with excessive use and not sit where you want them or just fall off.. Also its strange they made provisions for wing mounted missiles etc but not include any with the plane?

On the plus side the paint scheme looks great and its nice to have the 'no step' markings pre-applied. And the box is nice, follows the trend of previous releases.

I hate to sound like im having a major whinge here as yes the 30 does look very cool and I do like it, its just that I am a little disappointed and expected better especially considering its a brand new toy, new design etc etc.. still a little better than previous DX VF's the 30 doesn't really come across as a significant step forward in terms of build & finish quality. Feels like the YF-30 I received has left side loose and floppiness issues and although it was sealed its almost like it was second hand..

Either way im happy I bought it and that its finally here and yes its still a sexy plane but I don't think I'll be purchasing any more of em..

post-21335-0-78335800-1407812819_thumb.jpg

Edited by spanner76

Yeah I question anybody that says its a step above bandai fit and feel. I think it's just the lack of gloss and after glow of a new toy.

Bandai always comes with a grain of salt.

Still excited to get mine.

Yeah I question anybody that says its a step above bandai fit and feel. I think it's just the lack of gloss and after glow of a new toy.

Bandai always comes with a grain of salt.

Still excited to get mine.

My first 30 was super tight and I was genuinely surprised. However, there was the stained cockpit issue.

My second one just arrived, and the paint job is sloppy in places. At least the canopy isn't dirty, but I guess it's a crapshoot quality wise. Considering getting a third, but I am seeing the Bandai qc and considering a pass.

It's a shame they can't get tighter quality control at the factories, as it really is a great piece of engineering.

after playing around with it, this sucker will most certainly be staying in fighter mode, it's just so gorgeous and sleek looking and the engineering on keeping those robot parts hidden is just GENIUS! BUT, I'm not a fan of the Battroid mode and using that damn brace, it's not distracting or anything it's just, you lose that part and bam, she's a floppy mess of a bird.....floppy bird? :p

Transformation though is really just as simple yet more interesting than the VF-25, and much less complex than the VF-171. Really, I enjoy the overall look and feel and how sleek and slim the fighter mode is. Just so well done.

The QC on these things is definitely not consistent. The first 30 was ridiculously tight. The second one didn't want to hold Gerwalk without the brace at all. it would flop back. And the connection for the legs in Battroid is, in a word, atrocious. Really, that entire torso connection area is bad. Arcadia would (and has, VF-4) gotten it right. Bandai are still the inept morons they always have been. It could have been the greatest, most poseable, Valk ever made but the connection points are so questionable it's a bit of a fidgety mess to make work. The braces are mandatory if you want to have any fun posing it.

b, are you getting those yukikaze stuff? i had to cancel mine bc of all these pre-orders.

Crap, I totally forgot about the Alter Yukikaze Fighters! I have those pre-orders via AmiAmi and even with my current "situation" there is no way I'm passing on those.

For the longest time, each new valk purchase was going to the top of the list of valks to sell if I ever needed money. Not so with this one. I really like it. Absolutely love all the fine tampo detail like all the "NO STEP" stencils on the wing. Was able to figure out the transformation without consulting the instructions or a video. Quite solid in Battroid, no fear that I've got it partially or improperly transformed. And this is without using any of the braces.

Nothing is perfect though - a few minor annoyances:

1. Ankles can't seem to support a very aggressive Gerwalk stance without the nose flopping forward when the intakes are locked.
  2. "CAUTION MISSILE" is printed upside-down on all of the missile doors.
  3. The vertical stabilizers could really use click action so you know where to stop for fighter and battriod.

Good feedback (well from everyone that's had some handling time, thanks to all), looking forward to getting one in-hand myself.

It's odd because most SOC releases I've dealt with are fairly spotless and QA free. I know that it's not a transformable toy so there are less moving parts, but still.

Stupid random QA issues. Fingers crossed for my copies.

-b.

Crap, I totally forgot about the Alter Yukikaze Fighters! I have those pre-orders via AmiAmi and even with my current "situation" there is no way I'm passing on those.

Good feedback (well from everyone that's had some handling time, thanks to all), looking forward to getting one in-hand myself.

Stupid random QA issues. Fingers crossed for my copies.

-b.

To add to what MikeRoz said, in addition to the ankles not being very tight on both of my releases the Gerwalk knee joint is extremely weak. It makes posing in Gerwalk very tricky. I'd liken the weakness of the knee to almost being as bad as the 21/22 were.

For those who got the YF-30 in hand, how do you think it compares to the YF-29s?
I've had virtually all the YF-29s released so far, and they've all been nothing but disappointment (wrestling to transform it back into Fighter mode, loose hips after some time, too back heavy - especially with the super parts).

Seeing as the YF-30 is pretty back heavy as well, what do you guys think?

I've got 1 incoming and 1 sitting in the PW, so I just wanna get an idea of what to expect.

For those who got the YF-30 in hand, how do you think it compares to the YF-29s?

I've had virtually all the YF-29s released so far, and they've all been nothing but disappointment (wrestling to transform it back into Fighter mode, loose hips after some time, too back heavy - especially with the super parts).

Seeing as the YF-30 is pretty back heavy as well, what do you guys think?

I've got 1 incoming and 1 sitting in the PW, so I just wanna get an idea of what to expect.

Its certainly a nice design especially in fighter mode but regards to everything else about the 30 its pretty much the same but different..

post-21335-0-50281700-1407816116.jpg

To add to what MikeRoz said, in addition to the ankles not being very tight on both of my releases the Gerwalk knee joint is extremely weak. It makes posing in Gerwalk very tricky. I'd liken the weakness of the knee to almost being as bad as the 21/22 were.

Geez...way to go Bandai. Not.

For me that's not that much of an issue since I'm not a Gerwalk guy, but it's one of those "simple" things that should be done right. It's not like Gerwalk is a brand new mode or feature rolled out just for the YF-30.

-b.

Geez...way to go Bandai. Not.

For me that's not that much of an issue since I'm not a Gerwalk guy, but it's one of those "simple" things that should be done right. It's not like Gerwalk is a brand new mode or feature rolled out just for the YF-30.

-b.

mine doesn't have these problems at all and it can stand up just fine in Gerwalk.

The QC on these things is definitely not consistent. The first 30 was ridiculously tight. The second one didn't want to hold Gerwalk without the brace at all. it would flop back. And the connection for the legs in Battroid is, in a word, atrocious. Really, that entire torso connection area is bad. Arcadia would (and has, VF-4) gotten it right. Bandai are still the inept morons they always have been. It could have been the greatest, most poseable, Valk ever made but the connection points are so questionable it's a bit of a fidgety mess to make work. The braces are mandatory if you want to have any fun posing it.

The first 30....what? Dude there's even things Yamato/Arcadia didn't get right, like broken shoulders, or being so cheap on the plastic quality it yellowed. Those are things that potentially ruin a figure's appearance and resell value. A floppy joint or to tight of one, or having to use a brace are not that big of a deal and isn't distracting in my opinion.